Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up Boarding Groups at 8:02

According to the app, they were already at BackUp boarding groups at 8:02 AM? How is this possible, were there pre reservations for hotel and club 33 members that blocked all the normal boarding groups for the day?

Cannot imagine these are all guests that are were on Main Street for rope drops, unless the window opened prior to 8:00 today?

anyone there please help? Or anyone with info on this?

The window opened at 8am. Main Street was open to everyone earlier than usual (5:30am I believe) so you have a ton of people spamming the app to get boarding passes so it’s not surprising that they filled up so quickly.

Comment

Main Street @ 6am, from reddit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	64ox4xclicb41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=78a09b3ba6dba87dce9ab103df1d1513e0a89ab5.jpg
Views:	3724
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	8610792
      "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Any chance they will keep the ride open to 1am tonight?

Comment

I find it stupid that they do boarding groups. Why do they let Radiator Springs get to almost 4 hour waits at times of extreme crowds. Why not let people get in a standby line if they want to and paid almost $150? I'm personally waiting a few months, but not sure why they would not want large lines. At least let people who are huge fans decide if they want to wait or not. Could still do fastpass for early morning arrivals easily

Comment

Originally posted by Droberts1395 View Post
            According to the app, they were already at BackUp boarding groups at 8:02 AM? How is this possible, were there pre reservations for hotel and club 33 members that blocked all the normal boarding groups for the day?

Cannot imagine these are all guests that are were on Main Street for rope drops, unless the window opened prior to 8:00 today?

anyone there please help? Or anyone with info on this?
            From the thread on a Disney World board generating hundreds of posts a day nobody was ever able to figure out how many people are in each boarding group in Florida. We don't know that here in California either We also don't know how many Boarding Groups are "guaranteed."

If both the number of Boarding Groups and the number of slots in each Boarding Group are fairly low numbers then, yes, all the people waiting for rope drop could fill those slots within two minutes. It's the same pattern that's been happening in Florida, even after the holiday rush ended.

Comment

Originally posted by MychaelP View Post
              I find it stupid that they do boarding groups. Why do they let Radiator Springs get to almost 4 hour waits at times of extreme crowds. Why not let people get in a standby line if they want to and paid almost $150? I'm personally waiting a few months, but not sure why they would not want large lines. At least let people who are huge fans decide if they want to wait or not. Could still do fastpass for early morning arrivals easily
              It's insane that the ride is "full" for the entire day when the park is open until midnight (or later). The idea that a visitor can't ride the attraction at all, all day, because the boarding groups were gobbled up by 8:02 is nuts. The ride doesn't need boarding groups. Just let people stand in line. Big attractions of the past, and even now with actual wait times, are self-selective that way. If the line is too long, you don't get in line. Now, you're "in line" for 16 hours without really being in line, so that pain is gone.

My family would like to visit in April. I really want to ride Rise and especially show it to my kids, and find it pretty horrible that we might not be able to because a horde of regulars will flood the boarding groups for their 25th, 30th, or more time riding, and the non-regular visitor either get shut out, or have to get to the park with kids in tow at the crack of dawn to hopefully get to ride. Now, I get it, because I used to be a regular who would ride rides constantly (my young adult years were blissful times of no real responsibilities and lots of free time at the parks), but it was never at the expense of others who had never ridden before, because the rides were always available to anyone who wanted to wait in line.

i say dump the boarding groups and let long lines be self-selecting, just like they always have. And for opening, if there was ever a ride worthy of a 60-hour party like Star Tours had, this is the one.

Comment

Originally posted by MychaelP View Post
                Because the ride isn't working consistently enough right now. With boarding groups they avoid the situation of people waiting hours through a breakdown...or closed for the day. They can just pause boarding groups instead when there is an issue. Over time as it improves they can do larger and more boarding groups until eventually it's working well enough that they can use a traditional line.

Comment

Originally posted by TimJohn47 View Post

It's insane that the ride is "full" for the entire day when the park is open until midnight (or later). The idea that a visitor can't ride the attraction at all, all day, because the boarding groups were gobbled up by 8:02 is nuts. The ride doesn't need boarding groups. Just let people stand in line. Big attractions the past, and even now with actual wait times, are self-selective that way. If the line is too long, you don't get in line. Now, you're "in line" for 16 hours without really being in line, so that pain is gone.

My family would like to visit in April. I really want to ride Rise and especially show it to my kids, and find it pretty horrible that we might not be able to because a horde of regulars will flood the boarding groups for their 25th, 30th, or more time riding, and the non-regular visitor either get shut out, or have to get to the park with kids in tow at the crack of dawn to hopefully get to ride. Now, I get it, because i used to be a regular who would ride rides constantly (my young adults years were blissful times of no real responsibilities and lots of free time at the parks), but it was never at the expense of others who had never ridden before, because the rides were always available to anyone who wanted to wait in line.

i say dump the boarding groups and let long lines be self-selecting, just like they always have. And for opening, if there was ever a ride worthy of a 60-hour party like Star Tours had, this is the one.
                  Why would you have an issue? There won't be the same hoards of people through the gates at opening in April. It's because it just opened TODAY. Be there at rope drop and I'm sure you'll snag a boarding group. The amt of boarding groups available will also improve over time. If you're worried about regulars, schedule your visit for a day when the low tier passes are blocked.

Comment

Aloha,

I think the BG strategy is very wise and applaud Disney's attempt to manage the park in the most efficient manner.

Comment

I think of BG's like FP's for RSR in that eventually they won't be sold out until around 10:30 am giving many people ample chance to get one if they arrive near opening. Opening day though I am not shocked this happened and it only took mere minutes.

Comment

They have to use boarding groups because the ride itself is still prone to breakdowns so using a virtual queque helps to minimize the angst among people. I'm fine with it because I have an annual pass and don't live far away so my plan is to drive down there early each day next week and hopefully secure a boarding pass. If I don't get one I can just go to work. If I do get one, I can plan my day accordingly so I can ride the ride.

IMO, I think the boarding passes may only be needed through Summer. By the Fall, I'm guessing the buzz will have died down enough where they can probably just line people up. I mean, Galaxy's Edge had a virtual queue when it first opened and it barely ended up getting used.

I imagine the need for a virtual queue won't be necessary for too long for this ride.

Comment

Originally posted by dancefreak View Post

Why would you have an issue? There won't be the same hoards of people through the gates at opening in April. It's because it just opened TODAY. Be there at rope drop and I'm sure you'll snag a boarding group. The amt of boarding groups available will also improve over time. If you're worried about regulars, schedule your visit for a day when the low tier passes are blocked.
                          I hope you're right. I'm looking at the pattern at DHS and how the boarding groups are still gobbled up early. Hopefully the Anaheim crowd flow with more to do throughout the parks will be a differentiating factor here. I hope that in a month from now it's a moot point and we all can laugh at my paranoid posts.

Comment

Now I’m seeing Boarding groups 12-26 are open!
                            does this mean everyone with those #s can go on? Or is it like everyone with those numbers report to the ride so we can group you and then you can start waiting for your # to be called again. Any closure or details as to what happens when you get the notification would be great

thx

Comment

It’s really something that people who waited from 1am, in the pouring rain, until 8am and were not able to snag a boarding pass due to a glitch on their phone (there were tons of these problems) were basically told to F off. Yes the system technically is as fair as it can be, but what isn’t is those really dedicated hard core fans who were devastated when they didn’t get a boarding group and had sunk so much time into being there.

For just the very first day, for all those in line in the toy story lot in the pouring rain, they should’ve done those fans better. a lot better. They lost quite a few of their most loyal and die hard fans today and absolutely nothing was done to reach out make it right, or at the very least wristband these folks JUST FOR THE FIRST DAY. the ones waiting all night in the rain. They shouldn’t have been turned away no matter what for any reason. It’s just very un-Disneyland and remarkably cold.

I agree with the system in place and think it could not really be improved at this time. For a normal operating day, it’s as fair as can be. But I do not agree with how much they insisted on breaking the hearts of opening day fans who waited like that and why safeguards weren’t put into place to prevent that scenario. If you’re gonna let people come early and wait, accommodate them, else DONT ALLOW IT AT ALL. it’s really messed up and leaves a permanent sour taste in what should have been a celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by Droberts1395 View Post
                                Now I’m seeing Boarding groups 12-26 are open!
                                does this mean everyone with those #s can go on? Or is it like everyone with those numbers report to the ride so we can group you and then you can start waiting for your # to be called again. Any closure or details as to what happens when you get the notification would be great

thx
                                Once your boarding group is called, you are free to head to the ride and get in line. We'll see how it goes in Anaheim, but in Orlando folks have been reporting a 15-30 minute wait in the physical line once they're called (as long as there aren't any breakdowns).

Comment

The rain is uncontrollable, if you were committed to waiting overnight and going all in on opening day you had to be ready for anything thrown at you.
                                  I really have to imagine it’s just whoever is quickest on their mobile app to join the boarding group. And if it glitches out or the app fails that’s rough luck. I just hope they pay to improve their cloud space for tomorrow AM. I know today was opening but tomorrow will have more people as it’s a Saturday. No way this will hold up for the first three weekends. It’s basically saying, show up at 6:30 am when everyone else got here at 5 or earlier because as long as you clear your memory and close all your apps it won’t matter, that’s what’s going to get you in, not getting their earlier

Comment

Disney shouldn’t have allowed any early/all night queuing if they were simply planning on standard boarding pass operation without any provision given to the people in line for 8 hours all night. To have even less boarding groups Available due to D23 is even greater insult to injury. People should’ve been given wristbands/boarding passes who were there so early. It’s the right thing to do. For opening day. Not make it a free for all and let a bunch of fan club people take up even more. Sometimes it feels like Disney really doesn’t care about the ones who care the most. Those are the fans that are hardest to get back.

Comment

Originally posted by kayoss View Post
                                      Disney shouldn’t have allowed any early/all night queuing if they were simply planning on standard boarding pass operation without any provision given to the people in line for 8 hours all night. To have even less boarding groups Available due to D23 is even greater insult to injury. People should’ve been given wristbands/boarding passes who were there so early. It’s the right thing to do. For opening day. Not make it a free for all and let a bunch of fan club people take up even more. Sometimes it feels like Disney really doesn’t care about the ones who care the most. Those are the fans that are hardest to get back.
                                      I agree. I don't understand why Disney would allow people to queue overnight. Disney is a family destination and waiting overnight in a parking lot in the rain is not something that children should be subjected to. Nor should small children be dragged out of bed while it's still dark out so they can fight their way into the park and try to get a boarding pass. The way this system has been set up, it's essentially encouraging families to make really hard choices and trade-offs between their family's need for sleep, comfort and safety and their desire to experience this ride during the first few months (year?) of it's operation.

It's not like this is the only possible way Disney could do this. Indeed, Disney could set up a system where boarding passes are randomly trickled out for the first hour or two after the park opened, rather than released all at once at 8AM. In fact, how about allowing people to register their interest in the "boarding pass lottery" online the day before, but only active their "entries" once their entire party enters the park. That way, even if their app crashes or whatever, it doesn't matter because they will still get a boarding pass if their group gets lucky. As long as they are able to check their status before their boarding pass number gets called, they are good to go.

Perhaps some of the boarding passes would still be up for grabs exactly at rope drop as it currently works, but not all. That would give families with children a fighting chance to get boarding passes. And if they don't get a boarding pass, then it's not like there's nothing else to do at Disneyland, right? Enjoy your day at the park and maybe get in next visit.

Again, I hate that this system is so stressful. A visit to Disney shouldn't be stressful. I know that this ideal is often not met, but that should be Disney's goal whenever possible.
                                      Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

I arrived at about 5 am, mercifully after the rain. Everyone near us got a boarding group, though one did get in a backup group. We got an early boarding group and are napping at the hotel lobbies until our Cantina/Savi's reservations. The ride was awesome, and I didn't see too many disappointed people who didn't get their reservation.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X