Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the families with children thing is tough to cater to as the primary demographic when there is tens of thousands of people willing to put the effort in to be there. I’m just confused why there we’re so many people overnight and at 2-3 am if it didn’t matter when you actually got inside the park. As long as you were there at 7:58 to go on your app join @8. I get the sadness as it relates to the kids tho, that’s sad that so many families won’t get to ride. Tbh I would just stall and see the attraction after everything Dies down. To me the most annoying aspects of this system is the reliance they place on our technology. Like is it the working memory? Or generation that will give you a better chance.

Comment

Our take on it is we will try and go next weekend and we will get there around 6:30 so we are in the park by 8am if we get a boarding pass excellent if not we will try again another day and enjoy the park like we did the last time we visited in Dec. when RotR wasn't accessible then either. I think this limited access will get out like it did for SW:GE opening and the worries of crowds will keep people away making the park less crowded not more. I agree it was a big mistake allowing people to queue up so early considering the limited amount of boarding passes. I think they should have done the lottery online like they did for the SW:GE opening. That seemed to work fine and didn't force guests to gamble with their precious time. See people walk out pissed in the morning is going to effect people virally. Queue the "I spent $XXX on a Disneyland ticket and didn't get to ride Rise of the Resistance " T-shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by dancefreak View Post
        If you're worried about regulars, schedule your visit for a day when the low tier passes are blocked.
        This works really well. Look for the days when all passes except Signature and Signature Plus are blocked. You can find the calendar on the annual passport website. This is one major reason why I splurged and upgraded to a Signature pass this year. Also, see last summer when all the passes were blocked. Disneyland is a huge locals park since it is so centrally located in southern CA.

Comment

Originally posted by MychaelP View Post
          I find it stupid that they do boarding groups. Why do they let Radiator Springs get to almost 4 hour waits at times of extreme crowds. Why not let people get in a standby line if they want to and paid almost $150? I'm personally waiting a few months, but not sure why they would not want large lines. At least let people who are huge fans decide if they want to wait or not. Could still do fastpass for early morning arrivals easily
          They didn’t have the technology back then or Racers would have had boarding groups. That attraction was just as much of a mess when it opened. The Disneyland app was very crude back then.

Comment

Originally posted by kayoss View Post
            It’s really something that people who waited from 1am, in the pouring rain, until 8am and were not able to snag a boarding pass due to a glitch on their phone (there were tons of these problems) were basically told to F off. Yes the system technically is as fair as it can be, but what isn’t is those really dedicated hard core fans who were devastated when they didn’t get a boarding group and had sunk so much
            If I waited all night and I paid for a ticket that day I'd demand a refund. If I got in on an AP I'd demand a boarding pass for a future day. If they wouldn't give it up, I'd call the local Fox and NBC news stations and tell them how cold and heartless Disney treats their customers these days. I'm sure NBC and or FOX would love to do that story and stick it to ABC/Disney. And if they told me to suck it up and take their garbage app malfunctioning, I would love to tell my story to everyone.

Comment

Anyone here think will be a chance that those without a boarding pass can get in line after 11pm tonight? Could they keep the ride open to 1am??

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

If I waited all night and I paid for a ticket that day I'd demand a refund. If I got in on an AP I'd demand a boarding pass for a future day. If they wouldn't give it up, I'd call the local Fox and NBC news stations and tell them how cold and heartless Disney treats their customers these days. I'm sure NBC and or FOX would love to do that story and stick it to ABC/Disney. And if they told me to suck it up and take their garbage app malfunctioning, I would love to tell my story to everyone.
                Again, I just don't understand why Disney is relying so heavily on the app, which everyone (including Cast Members) knows is buggy and unreliable.

People with Disney accounts should be able to register their interest online in advance for Rise of the Resistance, and add everyone in their party. Then, the moment they pass through the main gate, Disney enters them in the lottery, and they get randomly issued a boarding pass at 8AM or whenever. Disney can then send them a push notification, text or email advising them of their boarding group.

Disney obviously knows who is in the park, because you cannot get a MaxPass unless you are, so they should be able to implement this. Whether or not you get to ride ROTR should not depend on how good your cellphone is, how much free memory you have, how quickly you can push a button on an app once it is visible, or whether the buggy app happens to crash before you do.

If only x% of the guests passing through the main gate can ride, then randomly invite x% of the guests to ride somehow. If you are lucky to have your number drawn, you get to ride, otherwise you don't. Just like every other guest that visits that day. And torturing yourself by standing around all night in the rain won't make any difference, so get a good night's rest, stay warm and dry and enjoy your life. Why should Disney reward self flagellation by the guests? If I treated my own guests that way, they'd never visit me again.
                Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

First Come-First Serve.......
                  That way the system works......
                  I can wait months or more ,going on this attraction.......I don't need to be first !
                  imo
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                    First Come-First Serve.......
                    That way the system works......
                    I can wait months or more ,going on this attraction.......I don't need to be first !
                    imo
                    In theory. But it doesn't sound like it's working quite that way in practice.

Yeah, I agree that at some point things will settle down.

But...hey, I tired of avoiding spoilers!
                    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by iAMiRONMAN View Post
                      Anyone here think will be a chance that those without a boarding pass can get in line after 11pm tonight? Could they keep the ride open to 1am??
                      Not a chance. Even people with boarding groups are not guaranteed to get on, especially the ones with numbers higher than 82. (I'm in group 125.).

Comment

So, now I'm supposed to feel bad for people who waited overnight in the rain to basically play the lottery for a chance to get on a ride with limited capacity due to working out its complicated tech?

This isn't some one-time event, folks. I think Disney is planning to keep ROTR open for a few more years.

Most of us chose the safe and sane route by staying in our nice cozy beds last night and waiting for everything to work itself out. If you did otherwise, it was always a gamble.

Comment

Will they keep ROTR open late past midnight like they have done with other new rides?

Comment

It’s not truly first come first served. As long as you’re in the park before park opening everyone is equal. Getting there at 5 am doesn’t help, it only helps you get in the park. If you get there at 5 and someone else gets there at 730 and is able to get into the park before opening they have just as equal as a chance as the person at 5.

Comment

Okay, so my next question for people that played the game today! If you were there at 5:00 am how long did it take you to get inside the gates, with the esplanade completely full? Did the line for DL back up into the lines for Dca? Or was the Queing executed in a different manner?

Comment

As of 7pm they are now accepting boarding parties 82-91

Comment

All in all, it seems they did a good job with today. I’m sure many guests believed they wouldn’t get the opportunity to ride in a backup group, and sure enough it seems they will all get on! Do we have any idea what the protocol is after all backup groups have been called? Does it ever revert to standby during the boarding group period!?

Comment

I was there today. I parked at about 4:45 in Toy Story. They hadn't opened up security there yet, but we breezed through Harbor security. Busses from Toy Story were running for us. By 6:00 lines in the Esplanade were just about to touch DCA. They started letting people into Main Street at about that point. Lines moved super fast because it was almost all passholder and adults without small children, no photos or gate openings needed. Around 6:45 they opened the Hub. We found a comfy bench. The lining up aspect kind of died down at this point. At 7:45 they dropped the ropes though none of the rides opened until 8. We ended up in Star Traders as my friend wanted that Mando Spirit Jersey really badly, but it worked out well.

The virtual queue opened exactly at 8. We both had the app updated and opened prior to 8 and were refreshing. Mine froze with like twenty seconds to go so I panic closed and re-opened. It turned out that was a great idea as my friend's app froze so I clicked in just in time to get boarding group 16 for both of us. People near us who got their boarding groups about 30 seconds after 8 were getting the backup groups and even they were gone in >2 minutes. We were called at 9:02, off by 9:30, and loved the ride! 10/10 would be interrogated again. Overall this morning went fairly smoothly. The only real wait for us was waiting for the queue to open.

And since it's saltier than Crait in here, everyone around me seemed to get a boarding group and we had some campers from 2 am standing near us.

Comment

Kanotari! I appreciate your post, thank you for the details. I wonder how long the alternative opening procedure will stay this way. I would like to see the traditional rope drop and the stampede that follows 😂, and yes I will be closing all my apps and updating my phone and the app prior to going. That seems very important. Do we think opening the app @8:00 is better or being on prior and refreshing?

Comment

Forgive me if this was already asked and answered (I’m playing catch-up on my break), but why did they wait to go live with the boarding passes at 8am? Seems like it would have been fair to let those that waited all night get into the app as their tickets were scanned into the park. Just about everyone knows how much this ride goes down, why not just give boarding passes with all of them having the disclaimer that a boarding group will not guarantee access to the attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by Droberts1395 View Post
                                          All in all, it seems they did a good job with today. I’m sure many guests believed they wouldn’t get the opportunity to ride in a backup group, and sure enough it seems they will all get on! Do we have any idea what the protocol is after all backup groups have been called? Does it ever revert to standby during the boarding group period!?
                                          Looks like once all the groups are called they just close the ride for the day. Today that happened at 10pm. Two hours before park closing. Seems kinda ridiculous.
                                          Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X