Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iAMiRONMAN View Post
    I was there talking to employees during the 4 hour failure and they said that it had an unexpected domino effect of failures. They kept trying to reboot part of the ride and it would fail after brief tests. They had to a major powerdown of the whole system and restart parts of it indepently afterwards. It amazing this ride works at all. So many things have to occur in unision.
    I love Rise but also wonder if WDI sometimes might push things too much which can risk capacity... since it's basically 3 or 4 different attraction systems in one that all have to work perfectly together.
    Last edited by CM08; 01-23-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iAMiRONMAN View Post
      I was there talking to employees during the 4 hour failure and they said that it had an unexpected domino effect of failures. They kept trying to reboot part of the ride and it would fail after brief tests. They had to a major powerdown of the whole system and restart parts of it indepently afterwards. It amazing this ride works at all. So many things have to occur in unision.
      Fascinating. I can see how multiple / domino failures could take hours to resolve/reboot. Regarding a major powerdown...imagine being the person tasked with writing the reboot procedure manual for the entire system. Yikes!

Comment

• Originally posted by CM08 View Post

I love the Rise but also wonder if WDI sometimes might push things too much which can risk capacity... since it's basically 3 or 4 different attraction systems in one that all have to work perfectly together.
        I wonder if this is a situation where software/code updates are able to be written to benefit the ride system, or even new technologies such as 5G to allow the vehicles and systems to better communicate throughout the building? It really sounds like most of the issues involve communications between the show elements and timing of the vehicles throughout. One would think that part of working out the kinks in a new system is the ability to upgrade code and technology. I hope that's the case, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by whiteness View Post

I agree. I don't understand why Disney would allow people to queue overnight. Disney is a family destination and waiting overnight in a parking lot in the rain is not something that children should be subjected to. Nor should small children be dragged out of bed while it's still dark out so they can fight their way into the park and try to get a boarding pass. The way this system has been set up, it's essentially encouraging families to make really hard choices and trade-offs between their family's need for sleep, comfort and safety and their desire to experience this ride during the first few months (year?) of it's operation.

It's not like this is the only possible way Disney could do this. Indeed, Disney could set up a system where boarding passes are randomly trickled out for the first hour or two after the park opened, rather than released all at once at 8AM. In fact, how about allowing people to register their interest in the "boarding pass lottery" online the day before, but only active their "entries" once their entire party enters the park. That way, even if their app crashes or whatever, it doesn't matter because they will still get a boarding pass if their group gets lucky. As long as they are able to check their status before their boarding pass number gets called, they are good to go.

Perhaps some of the boarding passes would still be up for grabs exactly at rope drop as it currently works, but not all. That would give families with children a fighting chance to get boarding passes. And if they don't get a boarding pass, then it's not like there's nothing else to do at Disneyland, right? Enjoy your day at the park and maybe get in next visit.

Again, I hate that this system is so stressful. A visit to Disney shouldn't be stressful. I know that this ideal is often not met, but that should be Disney's goal whenever possible.
          Thanks for the tips, I was so worried about not getting in a boarding group. We were in the park at opening yesterday and managed to get boarding group 71 which was loaded at 3pm so not too bad at all, amazing ride I can't wait to go ride it again.

Comment

• Gone by 8:01 today
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

• Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
              Gone by 8:01 today
              Guaranteed groups were gone in about 5 seconds
              Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                Gone by 8:01 today
                Only took mere minutes to play the game .
                ""Ridiculous""
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• If both parks open at the same time, and guests have hopper passes or AP’s, can you join a Rise boarding group if you enter DCA as your first park of the day?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadanooga View Post
                    If both parks open at the same time, and guests have hopper passes or AP’s, can you join a Rise boarding group if you enter DCA as your first park of the day?
                    As far as I know, since there's no margin for error with the current system, nobody's tested it.

The only similar situation I can think of is when one person in a group in Disneyland would take everyone's passes over to DCA to get FastPasses for some ride. It wasn't important that everyone in the group had tapped into *that* park but that they'd tapped into *a* park that day.

But, like I said, nobody's tested this for ROTR that I know of.

Comment

• In the app, it states in bold letters: “After entering Disneyland Park” you can try to join a boarding group. My guess is you have to enter Disneyland itself. That would make sense in Florida at the Studios park as well, because it could take awhile to get from one park to the next if you received a low boarding group number.

Still curious though...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadanooga View Post
                        In the app, it states in bold letters: “After entering Disneyland Park” you can try to join a boarding group. My guess is you have to enter Disneyland itself. That would make sense in Florida at the Studios park as well, because it could take awhile to get from one park to the next if you received a low boarding group number.

Still curious though...
                        This my understanding.... one must enter Disneyland Park itself.
                        To do the App-boarding group
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• I know someone who got one at the downtown Disney monorail station. But I guess Disneyland considers that entering Disneyland.

Comment

• Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                            I know someone who got one at the downtown Disney monorail station. But I guess Disneyland considers that entering Disneyland.
                            Correct you can scan into the monorail station in DTD that is a Disneyland gate. Wife and i did this for magic morning on our stay a couple weeks back.
                            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                            My company had a special night at the park
                            WdW trip report with WWoHP
                            NYE 2011 trip report
                            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                            Leap year 24 hour report
                            New DCA trip report
                            NYE 2012
                            HKDL trip report

Comment

• Originally posted by dancefreak View Post

Because the ride isn't working consistently enough right now. With boarding groups they avoid the situation of people waiting hours through a breakdown...or closed for the day. They can just pause boarding groups instead when there is an issue. Over time as it improves they can do larger and more boarding groups until eventually it's working well enough that they can use a traditional line.
                              I understand your comment, however doesn't Indy break down all the time? I've been stuck on it dozens of times. So let's do boarding groups there too. And I think I recall being stuck on Radiator Springs Racers too, boarding groups there too. Then soon no one can ride anything unless you are there at park opening. Fun times needing to get up at 4am to drive without traffic to get parked wait in long lines to get in, then cross your fingers to ride what is open for that day. What a great idea this is!
                              I don't think in the 70's when I was a little kid my Dad would have put up with any of that nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MychaelP View Post

I understand your comment, however doesn't Indy break down all the time? I've been stuck on it dozens of times. So let's do boarding groups there too. And I think I recall being stuck on Radiator Springs Racers too, boarding groups there too. Then soon no one can ride anything unless you are there at park opening. Fun times needing to get up at 4am to drive without traffic to get parked wait in long lines to get in, then cross your fingers to ride what is open for that day. What a great idea this is!
                                I don't think in the 70's when I was a little kid my Dad would have put up with any of that nonsense.
                                One thing to consider is the population from the 70's until now in SoCal has more than doubled and there were no AP's until 1983. I remember as a kid in the 70's hearing people complain that a 45 minute line was horrendous. Crowds are a totally different animal these days.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X