Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The expectations of Disneyland vs Disneyworld

I tried to post this on reddit earlier, but i don’t think the people of reddit knew enough about park attendance figures to understand. If something about this post doesn’t make sense, let me know and i can explain.

I think if galaxy’s edge should teach Disney executives anything, it’s that what works in disneyworld doesn’t always work in Disneyland. People were fine with only having one ride open in disneyworld, and they seem to be fine with d ticket attractions etc, but in Disneyland it seems the crowd doesn’t react as well to smaller additions and is always looking for an e ticket. With this said, i wonder how the Spider-Man ride will do. Do you guys expect big crowds? Do you think Disneyland will start to move away from smaller attractions? Is my logic flawed? Opinions?

Originally posted by n2drhorton View Post
    I tried to post this on reddit earlier, but i don’t think the people of reddit knew enough about park attendance figures to understand. If something about this post doesn’t make sense, let me know and i can explain.

I think if galaxy’s edge should teach Disney executives anything, it’s that what works in disneyworld doesn’t always work in Disneyland. People were fine with only having one ride open in disneyworld, and they seem to be fine with d ticket attractions etc, but in Disneyland it seems the crowd doesn’t react as well to smaller additions and is always looking for an e ticket. With this said, i wonder how the Spider-Man ride will do. Do you guys expect big crowds? Do you think Disneyland will start to move away from smaller attractions? Is my logic flawed? Opinions?
    I think most people judge the attractions by how they're executed. For me it's all about the details. TSMM would be a great example for how I feel. While it's popular amount guests I personally think it's super lazy and skip it all the time. The best part of that attraction is Mr. Potatohead. I believe that the Spider-Man attraction will be a clone of TSMM. DLR likes smaller attractions from what I see.

The Falcon ride doesn't carry much multiple ride experiences. The crowds on WDW don't go as often so now people wait for it since they may not go back to WDW for a while. Here in CA we tend to want to mix it up since we visit the park more. Hence why there are more overlays here.
    Last edited by biggsworth; 01-18-2020, 09:38 PM.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

I hope they don't give up on the smaller rides. They are just as important in the long run to a good experience, especially with little kids (and grandparents!). I do think the locals at Disneyland change the expectations, and gear it towards the new BIG experiences. If you go all the time, you remember your last time on the existing e-ticket rides and you want the novelty of a new one. But I believe that even those crowds appreciate the ambience of Disneyland with roller coasters and more intimate rides, as opposed to some other theme parks.

In regards to Galaxy's Edge, I hope they add that original 3rd ride that was geared more for kids. It could really improve the land.

Comment

Some of this might have to do with DL having far more locals who visit regularly and DW having more tourists who visit less frequently.
        Last edited by micromind; 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Tried looking for the referenced post, but couldn't find it!

Comment

I think one thing that needs to be considered when comparing the reactions at both parks beyond the fact that DL is a locals park is also the fact that anything that comes into DL is often at a sacrifice of something else. Even SW:GE costs guests part of the RoA and closed the DLRR for quite a long time. At WDW seldom do new additions cause any loss though Epcot is about to feel the some of the upgrade pains so it will interesting to see how people react.

Comment

People were fine with only having one ride open in disneyworld, and they seem to be fine with d ticket attractions etc, but in Disneyland it seems the crowd doesn’t react as well to smaller additions and is always looking for an e ticket. With this said, i wonder how the Spider-Man ride will do. Do you guys expect big crowds? Do you think Disneyland will start to move away from smaller attractions? Is my logic flawed? Opinions?
              Take also into account WDW is 4 gated parks (almost 5 with EPCOT - Future World, and World Showcase are almost individual places that take a day, each) and 2 Water Parks. Whereas DLR is 2 gated parks. There’s more to do, more attractions to experience than DLR. So the demand for something new is countered by a huge roster of far more to do at WDW.
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I think one thing that needs to be considered when comparing the reactions at both parks beyond the fact that DL is a locals park is also the fact that anything that comes into DL is often at a sacrifice of something else. Even SW:GE costs guests part of the RoA.
                Not only that, but some of the execution of Frontierland’s edge is a bit of a let down. They went through the trouble to create water running over rocks and under the DLRR trestles .... but why couldn’t they create a nod to Cascade Peek while they were at it. How hard is it to create a bit of a peek with a single water fall ... that also would serve as camouflage to SW:GE? OH,OH ... I KNOW! On the run into Fantasyland the DLRR could have given guests a surprise trip into a “glowie” cavern with colours of the rainbow!! OH, OH,OH... I know the answer!!! And how gullible and naive will the American public be at what Iger, Cheapek, and crew have in mind for a Tomorrowland remodel??? Oh,oh, oh (hand high up for the teacher!!!).

Lets put it like this.....

Not only are there sacrifices, but there are also compromises, which puts our expectations up higher, and the feelings of disappointment higher when the company does not deliver, and has nothing to do with lack of funds. More of a lack of heart.

Walt’s idea for DL was to build things, that some would view as ‘un-needed’. Now the “un-needed” types run the company!
                Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-23-2020, 05:05 PM.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Not only that, but some of the execution of Frontierland’s edge is a bit of a let down. They went through the trouble to create water running over rocks and under the DLRR trestles .... but why couldn’t they create a nod to Cascade Peek while they were at it. How hard is it to create a bit of a peek with a single water fall ... that also would serve as camouflage to SW:GE? OH,OH ... I KNOW! On the run into Fantasyland the DLRR could have given guests a surprise trip into a “glowie” cavern with colours of the rainbow!! OH, OH,OH... I know the answer!!! And how gullible and naive will the American public be at what Iger, Cheapek, and crew have in mind for a Tomorrowland remodel??? Oh,oh, oh (hand high up for the teacher!!!).

Lets put it like this.....

Not only are there sacrifices, but there are also compromises, which puts our expectations up higher, and the feelings of disappointment higher when the company does not deliver, and has nothing to do with lack of funds. More of a lack of heart.

Walt’s idea for DL was to build things, that some would view as ‘un-needed’. Now the “un-needed” types run the company!
                  Good points I also wonder how often WDW guests get the over promise that we on the Bestcoast receive?

Comment

Originally posted by cris77 View Post

Tried looking for the referenced post, but couldn't find it!
                    I deleted it after 30 thumbs down. I've noticed that r/Disneyparks is filled with Disney fans who think Disney can do no wrong, so any argument about attendance being down during the year was met with people calling me names and telling me I'm wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about, no matter how much evidence I showed. I try not to post on there much. I saw someone get 7 thumbs down today on there for mentioning using Uber to get to the parks instead of parking in the parking garage! LOL Locals said he was dumb because they were AP'ers who didn't have to pay for parking. Clearly the Uber comments didn't apply to them then but he still got hate for it.
                    On micechat we can often be pretty cynical of Disney, but we aren't mean to each other usually.

Comment

I deleted it after 30 thumbs down. I've noticed that r/Disneyparks is filled with Disney fans who think Disney can do no wrong, so any argument about attendance being down during the year was met with people calling me names and telling me I'm wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about, no matter how much evidence I showed. I try not to post on there much. I saw someone get 7 thumbs down today on there for mentioning using Uber to get to the parks instead of parking in the parking garage! LOL Locals said he was dumb because they were AP'ers who didn't have to pay for parking. Clearly the Uber comments didn't apply to them then but he still got hate for it.
                      On micechat we can often be pretty cynical of Disney, but we aren't mean to each other usually.
                      I have to agree some sites have some fanatical fans to the point that any different point of opinion is met with disparaging comments and dislike. Which is weird because we all love Disney. Also there seems to be a cliquish behavior too. If you disagree with a long time member/poster you're considered the AntiChrist...go figure
                      Last edited by N2dru; 01-30-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

With this said, i wonder how the Spider-Man ride will do. Do you guys expect big crowds?
                        Based on what I've read, the new Spider-Man ride is not enough for me to plan a trip around. I will be visiting the resort in 2021, but the Spider-Man ride is not a factor.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X