Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E ticket lineup

When I first visited Disneyland in Summer 1981 the attraction ticket system (A-E) was in its final year and the current system of general admission (then called a passport) was just being introduced. In the guidebook the following attractions were listed as E tickets:

Jungle Cruise
    Tiki Room
    Pirates
    Mansion
    Country Bears
    Big Thunder
    IASW
    Matterhorn
    Submarine Voyage
    Monorail
    Space Mountain

America Sings was still open, but although it had been an E ticket in previous years (and rightly so) in 1981 it was listed as a D ticket.

So my question is: if the ticket system was still operating today, which attractions do you think would qualify as E tickets in the DL resort? In making your selection please place yourself in the shoes of a tourist who knows nothing of the history of the park and has not yet developed a sentimental or nostalgic attachment to anything there. This person has come to the park expecting to be blown away by the experience simply based upon its reputation.

Let me know your opinion as to which attractions (not shows or parades) in both DL and DCA qualify. After I've received a few responses I'll post my own list.

Off the top of my head:

Disneyland
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Splash Mountain
    Rise of the Resistance
    Smuggler's Run (I think this is realistic knowing that attraction tickets could change later on and this is how I think Disney would letter grade this when pushing the new land)
    Star Tours
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (going off the same logic as Submarine Voyage and it's upkeep costs)

DCA
    Soarin'
    Grizzly River Run
    Incredicoaster
    Toy Story Midway Mania!
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT!
    Frozen - Live at the Hyperion

I made these decisions putting my own persona bias aside and trying to think realistically about how today's Disney would want to price each attraction's ticket.

Edit: I also forgot to mention, my list is all "newcomer" (post 1981) E tickets. All previous E tickets would retain their status, as well.
    Last edited by Blurr; 01-20-2020, 04:07 PM.
    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

BTMRR
      NBC
      POC
      Indy
      Space mountain
      Matterhorn

folks just don't like getting wet on splash.

DCA
      RSR at night

Comment

Storybook Land Canal Boats could be, if they added a loop.

Comment

Blurr has a great list. If shows like Tiki Room count towards an E-ticket, I might add the prime F! viewing areas.
          APs
          Burning Cabin
          Splash Mountain
          Star Wars
          Fantasy Faire
          Smoking
          Pirates
          Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.
            For me the attractions that make the E ticket grade right now are:

DL

Indy
            Pirates
            Mansion
            Splash
            Rise
            Big Thunder
            Star Tours
            Space

DCA

Guardians
            Racers

Note that four of the eleven E tickets from 1981 are still in my list as they were amazing in the first place and have benefited from significant enhancements in the last four decades.

At DL Matterhorn would be included if it had a more immersive queue and smoother track. Smugglers Run would be too if the engineer experience were somehow enhanced.

At DCA Soarin', Grizzly, Incredicoaster and Midway Mania aren't quite up there for me as they're insufficiently immersive. DCA is a young park and has plenty of time to catch up. Hopefully the Avengers attraction will make the grade.

Anyway, it's all subjective and these are just my opinions, so feel free to disagree.

Comment

I now for many and in pop culture E-ticket often means a thrill ride though I believe Walt's version of an E-ticket was a ride that went beyond a typical dark ride, train or spinner and that would be a more cherished ride and therefore tickets were more scarce for these attractions. Also there needs to be rides left for A-D tickets so not all the big rides will qualify...

Taking both of those theories and compositing them I would put it like this...

DL
              - Space Mountain
              - Splash Mountain
              - Thunder Mountain
              - POTC
              - Indy
              - R o t R
              - Matterhorn

DCA
              - Soarin
              - Encredicoaster
              - RSR
              - GotG

Comment

DL
                - Jungle Cruise
                - Indy
                - PotC
                - HM
                - Splash Mountain
                - RotR
                - Smugglers Run
                ​​​​​​- Big Thunder
                - iasw
                - Matterhorn
                ​​​​​​- Space Mountain
                - Nemo Submarine Voyage

DCA
                - RSR
                - GRR
                - Soarin
                - Incredicoaster
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

As an historical baseline, here's a link to a chart of all the Disneyland ticket book rides from October 1955 to 1982. "E" tickets were introduced in 1959.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

My list would be...

Disneyland:

Enchanted Tiki Room
                    Jungle Cruise
                    Pirates of the Caribbean
                    Haunted Mansion
                    Splash Mountain
                    Rise of the Resistance
                    Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
                    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                    Matterhorn Bobsleds
                    It's a Small World
                    Star Tours
                    Space Mountain
                    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

DCA:

Soarin'
                    Grizzly River Run
                    Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout
                    Radiator Springs Racers

My Reasoning:

Although many might not think of the Tiki Room as an E ticket these days, I still do. Perhaps I classify it as such out of respect more than anything else. I left off the Monorail which had once been an E ticket because I had never seen it as such. It was always more of a D ticket to me much like the PeopleMover had been.

Over in DCA, I left Incredicoaster off the E ticket list purely for my own selfish reasons. I don't think much of the ride. Not much when it was California Screamin' and not much now (although it is slightly more appealing to me with the Pixar overlay). This ride and that section of DCA leave me kind of cold. It's still the part of the park that reminds me of how Disney (in my opinion) cheaped out and built something I believe Walt would have hated. Be that as it may, I supposed that by virture of it being a large coaster with a bit of theming and an inversion loop it could be an E ticket,...but not on my list.

Having said that, DCA has very few E tickets compared to Disneyland...and I'm okay with that. DCA has a different vibe anyway. I don't mind a park that has mostly C tickets if there is enough atmosphere to make up the difference. Grizzly Peak, Buena Vista Street, and Carsland have that. Hopefully Avengers Campus will too.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                      As an historical baseline, here's a link to a chart of all the Disneyland ticket book rides from October 1955 to 1982. "E" tickets were introduced in 1959.
                      "E"ticket came about because
                      Submarine Voyage-Monorail- and the Matterhorn Bobsleds
                      The area underwent a major transformation 1959

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                        My list would be...

Disneyland:

Enchanted Tiki Room
                        Jungle Cruise
                        Pirates of the Caribbean
                        Haunted Mansion
                        Splash Mountain
                        Rise of the Resistance
                        Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
                        Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                        Matterhorn Bobsleds
                        It's a Small World
                        Star Tours
                        Space Mountain
                        Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

DCA:

Soarin'
                        Grizzly River Run
                        Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout
                        Radiator Springs Racers

Just my 2 cents.
                        I give you 8 cents , now you have a dime
                        (I like your list)

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          That website could use a few updates - he was unsure of Flying Saucers status....

Attached Files
                          MY SIGNATURE:
                          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Going back to my list .... I tried using the universal approach of ....
                            * Scale
                            * Scope
                            * Wow factor
                            * number of effects
                            * use of practical sets

The Monorail always baffled me as an E ticket until I read one of the determining factors how Disney asserted ticket value - amount of maintenance the attraction requires. Though Tiki Room was an E ticket and a huge sentimental favourite... it’s pint size feels more like a solid D. And ... this just me, rides that put primary attention on monitors/screens in more ‘intimate’ applications (Star Tours, Midway Mania, and Smugglers Run in the future) a solid D. While Soarin is a mammoth IMAX screen, scents, a ride mechanism that seems to achieve a bigger “wow” factor. I should label Guardians of the Galaxy an E, for its pre show, overall physical size. But I can’t give a ride that’s entirely in one elevator shaft, and the ride less than 2 minutes in the books with rides that achieve double, triple, quadruple that amount of time. And GRR is more like a E minus. If they ever give it a theme with AA bears and other effects like all the other bonafide E tickets, then it gets a stellar rating.
                            MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

What Interesting that SF&D RR which is today Disneyland Railroad was a "E"
                              Later on it became a "D" attraction....

But is more Interesting
                              Adventures Through Inner Space
                              was a Free ride then it became a "C"
                              (do to lost of sponsor)
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 01-22-2020, 06:21 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I give you 8 cents , now you have a dime
                                (I like your list)
                                Ooh! A thousand more dimes and I can almost pay my way into the park...almost. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post

Ooh! A thousand more dimes and I can almost pay my way into the park...almost. LOL!

Well in the old days
                                  you could on the
                                  horse-drawn streetcar , one-way on MAIN STREET U.S.A.
                                  lol
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X