Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Stretching Room part of the queue or is it this where the attraction begins?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Stretching Room part of the queue or is it this where the attraction begins?

Where does the "attraction" of the Haunted Mansion begin? Is the Stretching room part of the attraction, or is it a very elaborate queue pre-show?
    Stretching Room is part of the queue
    19.70%
    Attraction begins in the Stretching Room
    80.30%

Whoops I voted wrong! It’s part of ride. Though on average, it is not treated that way by most guests in my experience.
    APs
    Burning Cabin
    Splash Mountain
    Star Wars
    Fantasy Faire
    Smoking
    Pirates
    Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
      Where does the "attraction" of the Haunted Mansion begin? Is the Stretching room part of the attraction, or is it a very elaborate queue pre-show?
      In my opinion...

-If an attraction is designed such that you can't possibly experience it without seeing a preshow scene in its entirety, the preshow scene is part of the attraction. Examples include the Mansion stretching room, the library in Tower of Terror/Mission Breakout, and all 3 preshows in RotR (briefing, shuttle ride, interrogation),

-If an attraction is designed with a preshow that you don't have to see in its entirety, the preshow is part of the queue. Examples include the MFSR Hondo briefing, Tiki Room lanai gods, Indiana Jones movie room, and pre-board movies at Star Tours and Soarin.

Comment

Starts the attraction. To me no different than what they are doing with ROTR in certain parts.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

Comment

I believe the start of the attraction is the moment you enter the gates of the grave yard, the start of the ride portion happens the moment you enter the mansion. Just like how on RotR the shuttle into space I consider as part of the ride portion even though you are still standing and haven't been seated yet.

Comment

Here's the way I think of it.

The Haunted Mansion without the Stretching Room is a shell of itself. I think for many of us it's the most memorable part of the attraction.

If you can separate a single queue or pre-show element, but still keep the essence of the attraction, then that element is part of the queue.

Comment

I consider the start of an attraction to be the point where I no longer feel like I'm waiting in line. For Mansion, it's definitely the stretching room. Even if there is a backup in the portrait hall, it's never felt like I'm still in line by that point. In fact, I've found myself happy to see a backup at times, because it makes the experience last longer.

Comment

Stretching room
                YES....this is were it getting scary((()))
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The Stretching Room is part of the attraction. The Ghost host confirms it by saying "Our tour begins here in this Portrait Gallery..".

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                    The Stretching Room is part of the attraction. The Ghost host confirms it by saying "Our tour begins here in this Portrait Gallery..".
                    Debate is over. This is the answer.

Comment

I think it starts when they close the front doors and the "When hinges creak..." narration starts. It's when the outside world ceases to exist. (But I voted for it starting in the stretching room since there is no "other" option.)

Comment

When the room starting to Stretch
                        There no turning back
                        !
                        Last edited by Eagleman; 01-30-2020, 05:50 PM.
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

For me the attraction begins when I see the Haunted Mansion from outside.

And at Walt Disney World it can also begin when I hear their loud
                          wolf howl.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                            For me the attraction begins when I see the Haunted Mansion from outside.
                            Does this only apply if you intend to go on the attraction? I mean, you can see the building from all over New Orleans Square and from the Mark Twain.
                            Last edited by Co Foo; 01-31-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Heck, I believe the actual attraction portion starts the second you step into the Foyer and you hear that legendary music and "When hinges creak is doorless chambers..". From that moment on, you are really part of the story. I'd say the same about Rise beginning with the Hologram room and Rey, at these points, my mind is in attraction mode for them both.

Part of me wanted to include the outside queue as well but while I appreciate the tombstones (-and all their references) and well kept grounds.. I dunno, something about the switchbacks in back keep me from entering full on attraction mental state. Unless it's Holiday. The outside décor for Holiday to me tells more about what is happening story-wise just by looking at it than the classic version. I think because Walt said something about the CMs taking care of the outside grounds and the ghosts taking care of the inside when it comes to classic. With Holiday, Jack takes care of both and it's clearly communicated (Holiday also has the added benefit of outdoor music to put you in a different mental state).
                              "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

Does this only apply if you intend to go on the attraction? I mean, you can see the building from all over New Orleans Square and from the
                                Mark Twain.
                                Good point. It is my all-time favorite attraction, and just seeing it makes me feel good.

Like one of my favorite movies, "It's a Wonderful Life," it deals with heavy issues of life & death in an (for my twisted mind) uplifting way.
                                That's why I also also love the fun hell at the end of Mr. Toad.

But to get back to your question--the best Disney parks are each like one super-ride for me. I even have that Disney spirit in most of the
                                restrooms, and an old website "The Happiest Potties on Earth!" informed me that I'm not alone in this. When I see the HM I think, "OH, YEAH"
                                as I do when I see the castle at the end of Main Street.

As far as exactly when the HM really starts, sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't care. Just as I don't get into debates over the number of continents on Earth or argument over grammar. The Walt is in the details, but there is one great Walt Disney spirit that lifts me in the best Disney Lands.

Comment

For me the attraction begins when I see the Haunted Mansion from outside.wolf howl.
                                  I agree with this 100%

The attraction begins the moment you are experiencing something related to it. Following the path of the queue around the grounds of the Haunted Mansion, you are exposed to the pet cemetery, the Boot Hill cemetery and most importantly the imposing mansion daring you to come inside. The moment I enter the queue, I am experiencing that attraction and don’t consider myself ‘in line’.

The same goes for me with other attractions:

Once I enter the POTC building and get that first whiff of the water, I am experiencing the attraction.

This is especially true for me in very immersive queues like Indy, Roger Rabbit, BTMRR, Star Tours, & MF:SR.

I’d even count a couple of the fantasyland dark rides in this. Snow White (We’ll see what the queue looks like after the referb if I keep this opinion) and Mr. Toad especially.
                                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                  Walt Disney World
                                  Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                  1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                  2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

The Walt is in the details, but there is one great Walt Disney spirit that lifts me in the best Disney Lands.
                                    I AGREE
                                    Walt Disney spirit , is what makes Disneyland very special over all other Disney Parks

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I would say the entrance, stretching room, and the portraits are part of the queue. The ride begins where people board the Doombuggies.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X