Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret/Little Known Disneyland Adventures

Hello All!

I am new to Mice Chat. I also haven't been to Disneyland in a LONG time. I am adopting children with special needs that I have been fostering for three years and am planning a Disney trip for them. I've been compiling a list of cool activities because one of my kids cannot ride roller coasters, but I also wanted to reach out to the community here because I'm sure you all have many suggestions that aren't easily found elsewhere. My kids love pressed pennies and you can ask cast members for special ones so we will try that. I've read that you can ask to ride on the Lily Belle and "drive" the Mark Twain. What other awesome secretive things do you know of? Let me know if any other cool things that a 5 & 8 year old (one wheelchair bound) could try!

*** My wheelchair bound kid cannot ride roller coasters due to medical restrictions, so it's important that we find alternative things for him to do too.

Thank you!!!

Ask to ride in the front of the monorail
    Don't miss the drawing lessons (Animation Academy) nor turtle talk in the animation area of DCA backlot.
    Key resource for pennies:
    https://www.parkpennies.com/index.htm
    https://www.parkpennies.com/penny-machine-locations.pdf

Comment

To drive the Twain, you need to climb narrow stairs. Not sure if they can do that, but it's worth asking at the dock. The Lilly Belle has been off limits to civilians for a while now. People were stealing stuff from it. I think now only C33 members can ride it. Tender Ride would be cool, but again, mobility to get up into the tender of the locomotive might be an issue. If they are still doing Walk in Walt's Footsteps, that is an AMAZING tour.
      Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

welcome.... when was the last time you visited Disneyland...... What does wheelchair bound mean?..you can go a whole day at Disneyland and still not have enough time to ride a roller coaster.
        1. I spy...they put in a new walkway between Frontierland and Fantasyland with all kinds of fun detail
        2. SWGE is a whole day of I spy for STar wars fans.
        3. the Talking heads of disneyland
        4. Elevator for Nemo
        5. Ride Snow white three times for all the details of I spy
        6. Some 5-8 year olds can ride dumbo 3 or more times in a row, though they have to wait in line to do so, to you boring,to them flying!!!
        7. walking street performers....for example the pearly band in front of castle.
        8.Pirate Island, boring to us....exciting to the kids.
        9. Winnie the pooh, around and around and around you go.
        10. Buzz lighyear, a video contest that takes about 5 rides to understand all the bousus points, do your homework on high targets.
        11.toontown joke factory and goofy garden.
        12. I believe lilly belle is currently in storage....

Comment

Hi Stephie:

First, some downers:
          -You used to be able to score tickets to ride the Lily Belle first thing in the morning, but they stopped that some time ago. You have to be special in some way (VIP tour, Club 33 member, etc) to ride in it now.
          -Getting to the top deck of the Mark Twain requires going up two narrow flights of stairs, and going up into the wheelhouse requires climbing a ladder from the top deck. Not wheelchair-friendly, unfortunately.

Some uppers:
          -The "accessible experience" of Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is pretty cool, as you watch a video of the full ride experience in a small theatre with all the sound and lighting effects the subs have. Presented in the right way, a kid could be convinced that this is a special secret room that nobody else even knows about.
          -Riding the Haunted Mansion in a wheelchair is also super cool, as you don't exit your doom buggy at the 'normal' exit. You stay in your doom buggy, ride backstage by the maintenance area, and then unload back at the load station. After that you get to ride the stretching room elevator back UP, and watch it compress back to normal. Again, presented in the right way, a kid could find this to be a super awesome peek behind the magic.
          -Kids can help wake up Jose in the Tiki room, you can mention to the CM that your kid would love to help them start the show (assuming that's true).
          -Mickey's Philharmagic is a new addition that's much more impressive in Florida, but is nonetheless a great show. It's also Disney's first (only?) 3D movie that isn't guaranteed to terrify kids.
          Last edited by GreatAndoski; 01-30-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Character Breakfast at StoryTellers at the Grand Californian if you can afford it.... or Goofy`s Kitchen...

Over a 25 year period my parents took care of close to 50 Foster Kids until they got adopted. .. Bless You for kindness

Comment

Personally, I love Tom Sawyer's Island! It's quiet, and feels like you're on a very personal adventure. So much fun to explore!

I also love the Mark Twain, especially when there's a band on board. Captain Dan once took me on a tour of the boat, including the wheelhouse, but I don't remember the ladder. I could have been a bit overwhelmed though!

And don't forget the castle walk-through

Comment

My kid really loved pin trading with cast members at that age.

There is lots of online information about that.

Comment

The shooting arcade in Frontierland is also a great way to spend time away from rides. In DCA, I love to watch the rafts on Grizzly River Run get soaked as they come around the corner after the big drop. It's a great place to sit with a snack and watch people get drenched!

As an aside, how wonderful that you have fostered and are adopting those children. A trip to Disneyland is sure to be magical for you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephie&Fam View Post
                    Hello All!

I am new to Mice Chat. I also haven't been to Disneyland in a LONG time. I am adopting children with special needs that I have been fostering for three years and am planning a Disney trip for them. I've been compiling a list of cool activities because one of my kids cannot ride roller coasters, but I also wanted to reach out to the community here because I'm sure you all have many suggestions that aren't easily found elsewhere. My kids love pressed pennies and you can ask cast members for special ones so we will try that. I've read that you can ask to ride on the Lily Belle and "drive" the Mark Twain. What other awesome secretive things do you know of? Let me know if any other cool things that a 5 & 8 year old (one wheelchair bound) could try!

*** My wheelchair bound kid cannot ride roller coasters due to medical restrictions, so it's important that we find alternative things for him to do too.

Thank you!!!
                    For the wheelchair-bound child, there is an accessible alternative to the castle walkthrough. It's a little viewing room located over by the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique. I'm not sure if it's affected by the construction going on over there right now.

Comment

Here's a good list of secret adventures, from one of the most awesome Disney planners in the business: https://disneylanddaily.com/unique-d...ore-than-ride/

Comment

One other helpful article for you from Disneyland Daily: https://disneylanddaily.com/disabilities-at-disneyland/

Comment

The lily belle is not off limits. It is in storage right now but when it comes back it will be available to ride as part of the $85 per person “Grand Circle” tour. It stopped being free a couple years ago.

Comment

Our children enjoyed playing or watching musical chairs with the Mad Hatter and Alice. It is held outside the casual restaurant at the end of Main Street towards the castle. I believe it is at 2 pm. Ask a cast member for details. It normally happens but isn’t usually on the official entertainment schedule. Enjoy your trip!

Comment

Originally posted by order 1966 View Post
                              The lily belle is not off limits. It is in storage right now but when it comes back it will be available to ride as part of the $85 per person “Grand Circle” tour.
                              When did it go into "storage?" It's visible on the end of the Holiday Blue at about the 1:30 mark in this video posted just a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPYV_VCAKM

Comment

The little Mermaid ride has a designated ADA vehicle themed to King Triton's chariot.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                                  When did it go into "storage?" It's visible on the end of the Holiday Blue at about the 1:30 mark in this video posted just a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPYV_VCAKM
                                  I am just going by what I read. Someone in this post mentioned it is in storage and the website lists that the tour is currently unavailable and will return in “early 2020.”

Comment

In DCA in the center of Redwood Creek near the zip line.... If they are not busy the cast would have rubber ducky races down the creek. Ask a cast member.

Comment

Get free buttons at any store or info kiosk...while not exactly a fun thing to think about, find out where all the family bathrooms are located...take a break at the Hungry Bear restaurant, where you can watch the river boats float by, the trains chug by and the ducks swim by, plus there’s two family restrooms there...
                                      I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                                        To drive the Twain, you need to climb narrow stairs. Not sure if they can do that, but it's worth asking at the dock. The Lilly Belle has been off limits to civilians for a while now. People were stealing stuff from it. I think now only C33 members can ride it. Tender Ride would be cool, but again, mobility to get up into the tender of the locomotive might be an issue. If they are still doing Walk in Walt's Footsteps, that is an AMAZING tour.
                                        Thank you! We are going with someone who is a Club 33 member and we will be dining there (fingers crossed they can make the reservation as there are many of us and I'm not sure if there is a dining limit). Does that grant us access to the Lilly Belle? Thank you for the tips!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X