X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laugh-O-Grams
    replied
    Originally posted by Theme_Park_Insider View Post
    And I'll tell you from personal experience, keeping a legacy attraction running reliably at Disneyland 18 hours a day is expensive. Many parts need to be custom fabricated, and wherever possible, upgraded with off the shelf components. But for the most part, they are the same design from decades ago, and require massive labor to keep up, that's all behind the scenes.

Show upgrades are also expensive, but don't have as many regulatory requirements, and don't generally affect the ride reliability. So they aren't as frequent. But they do happen too, pretty often. Those kinds of projects are under Imagineering's purview, and their project planning.
    They get more expensive when you have to farm out the work to contractors outside the Company.

Now only if they had a division called...hmmmm? MAPO?

Leave a comment:

• Grim Grinnin Ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post
    In the first scene with Mara, there was a star field and an eye on the ceiling, the effect stopped working for a long time.
    While the Chamber of Destiny overhaul was neat at first, it really sucks how it's made that scene's functionality a complete crapshoot. I was at Disneyland about a month ago and on one ride through the projectors weren't working at all, so Mara was in darkness.

"Revamping" the audio for that scene has had some unfortunate side effects too, like specific dialogue being lost - like James Earl Jones laughing evilly as you're whipped out of the room, and Indy saying "No!" when the eyes first lit up. They're gone. Things like the star field and eye in the Chamber of Destiny are just gone/washed out too, since now almost the entire room is covered with those stars. It really feels like too much.

I'm morbidly curious with what the new overhaul will bring, I worry it'll shoehorn more effects and ignore what doesn't work. Ideally I'd love to see them fix what's broken, like what OP listed, and I've noticed the spinning curtains behind the "Gates of Doom" Indy is trying to keep shut don't work anymore. I think that would be an appropriate spot for a projection effect or some smoke machines.

Last edited by Grim Grinnin Ghost; 02-28-2020, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Seeker2763
    replied
    When I was there in October of 2018, a CM was proactively handing out decoder cards to people in the queue. In December of 2019 I was with a friend on his first visit to the park, and had told him about the cards. We asked a CM right after we got off the ride, and they pulled a decoder card from their pocket for him.

That said, they’ve now included a decoder feature into the Play app.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by MonteJ View Post
    Ugh! Please get this ride back to its original glory!
    YEP-Indiana Jones needs TLC to get back to its original glory !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 02-27-2020, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MonteJ
    replied
    Ugh! Please get this ride back to its original glory!

Leave a comment:

• Blurr
    replied
    This was posted by a user named relavis over on the Disneyland reddit. I will include a link to their original post at the bottom of this quote but I found this to be interesting:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Indiana Jones Adventure - A comprehensive list of every effect that is currently broken/malfunctioning/damaged

I’m an avid fan of Indiana Jones Adventure. I am at Disneyland around four to five times a week, and I have extensive knowledge of the Indiana Jones Adventure attraction. It makes me sad, but the attraction itself is in a state of disrepair. I’m writing this list to keep track of what effects are currently broken. I’ll be listing every single effect that has been removed from the attraction, even if it’s not coming back.

Queue:
    • The motor outside that simulates generating power for the queue’s lights no longer spins.
    • The timing of the bamboo-held ceiling retracting is not in sync with the audio
    • The lamp that is upstairs (next to the two DAS elevators) has burned out and no longer lights Ride portion:

Chamber of Destiny:
    • The mirrors on the left-hand-side of the ride vehicle no longer swing out
    • The walls of the Chamber of Destiny no longer move, and therefore the ride vehicle no longer enters through the simulated “left” or “right” doors
    • The projection effects for the Fountain of Eternal Youth are often not in sync with the doors swinging open

Hall of Promise:
    • Often times, the glimmering lights seen in the Chamber of Earthly Riches do not glitter and are static. This is likely due to a fan that has burned out.
    • The lighting inside the “true” exit of the Chamber of Earthly Riches is diminished, which is most likely a result of conventional light bulbs that have burned out

Tunnel of Torment:
    • The floor is supposed to be covered in fog to hide the fact that there is a track.
    • Because of poor maintenance to the cars, the ride vehicle no longer feels like it is “floating” towards the Gates of Doom. The car itself still tilts as if it is floating, but the actual movement of the vehicle on the track is shaky, ruining the illusion of floating.
    • The silhouette of Indiana Jones is often left on for too long, revealing the fact that the silhouette is actually a gel inserted into a conventional light, and NOT a light being shined onto the audio-animatronic
    • The Indiana Jones audio-animatronic no longer fully closes the Gates of Doom, which ruins the effect of the ride vehicle falling to the ground.

Overlook:
    • Oftentimes, the fire in Mara’s eye is not lit. This is probably due to a failure of lighting the fire after a downtime.
    • There is no longer rubble falling from the ceiling. Originally, dyed ice would fall out of a hatch in the ceiling to simulate rubble. The sound of rubble falling can still be heard.

Mummy Chamber:
    • The set of three skeletons that come down towards the ride vehicle are not moving. They are in the “up” position.”

Bug Room:
    • During the second projection sequence, the right headlight of the car does not have a projection. This effect was broken very recently.

The Pit:
    • The bridge ropes no longer sway.
    • The right-hand-side snake does not emit smoke with it’s green light. The left snake was recently fixed to emit smoke.
    • The pit of lava below the vehicle is no longer filled with fog.
    • The pit of lava below the vehicle is no longer lit by the magma sections.

Snake Temple:
    • Snake audio-animatronic’s fangs no longer unfold

Mud Slide: (no issues)

Skull:
    • The candle with a flame wick that is shaped like Tinkerbelle is no longer lit.
    • The black light effect used to display the spirit of Mara is very diminished and hard to see.

Rat Cave:
    • The black light used to add light to the physical branches on the right-hand-side of the ride vehicle has been disabled.
    • The fog used for projection of the rats and branches is often not enough to project a full image.

Dart Room:
    • The final skeleton set on the wall, also used as an emergency exit, is now always in the “open” position. This causes the skeleton’s heads to be detached from the bodies.

Boulder Room:
    • It is a recurring theme that, due to timing issues and guest control at the load station, the ball will not roll, or the effect will be put into B mode, where the boulder does not roll as far as to give time to reset for the next car to get the full A mode.

Return to Base:
    • The Indiana Jones audio-animatronic’s mouth does not move.

I hope that this list might assist some of the maintenance workers with fixing these issues."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.reddit.com/r/Disneyland/...nsive_list_of/

I learned something new today! I always knew that at one point the vehicles entering the Chamber of Torment had a sort of otherworldly floati-ness to them followed by the sudden "drop" to the ground of the vehicle but I never knew it was supposed to be part of the storyline and an event that happens when Indy is supposed to shut the large doors of the room (which I honestly can't ever remember seeing). That is both awesome and disappointing that it no longer functions as intended!

Leave a comment:

• Emrakul
    replied
    Originally posted by IndyAdventurer View Post
    Indy is obviously a big deal for me (I mean, I made it my username). I remember riding it at age 12 in 1995, less than a year after it opened. I haven't made it back to Disneyland many times since, but I was able to ride it last month and was struck by both how well it holds up and also how many simple effects have been lost--especially ones that come at otherwise quieter parts of the ride where they're needed most.

I understand why the rotating doors and falling ice effects were cut. They were expensive to maintain. If the doors malfunctioned, the whole ride went down. The ice machine was designed poorly and would be impossibly expensive to replace. (I actually never got to see the falling ice effect in person, but if you wanna see a clip of it, this video has it at 5:14 -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZaKXPmceMU) But I'm also not mad about losing either of them: The doors were a nice touch, but ultimately just a fun gimmick at the beinning. And the ice effect when it was working, was competing against other incredible effects and visuals (the reveal of the main chamber, the skeleton's eye flames) so it wasn't necessary. That moment in the ride was already quite thrilling. They were both nice things to have, but neither was vital to the ride experience.

But there are a number of smaller, simpler effects that I was sad to see just weren't there anymore--particularly because they're effects that occur at times where they are the primary "exciting" thing happening. The skeletons no longer pop out toward you (or at least didn't the three times I rode it last month). The feeling of air bursts during the bugs scene was lost or greatly reduced. There's a long segment just before the arrow room that's now fully dark since the fog/rats effect is no longer working.

That means that right now, there's a 20 second period where you just wind through a bunch of skeletons and bugs and not much HAPPENS. Yes, the theming is still beautiful to look at, but it's lost the little details that make those moments pop and feel not just pretty, but thrilling. Same goes for the fog/rats effect: There's now another 20 seconds of downtime after you pass under the skull and before the darts room where you're basically just turning in blackness. When the rest of the ride is SO well-designed and SO well paced, these short "dead" zones stand out more.

Even more frustrating is that none of these effects are big, difficult, expensive effects to maintain. They're relatively simple and could be fixed within a reasonable budget. Unlike the door effect, none of them would cause the ride to go down if they malfunctioned. Unlike the falling ice, none of them would require massive alterations and construction. And yet, they aren't working (or aren't working reliably).

Overall, I think Disney's done an incredible job of maintaining a remarkably themed and intricate ride, and honestly, I'd say they're 95% of the way there--I just wish they could go the extra mile and keep up some of these small effects that really help punch up otherwise less exciting segments and really hit that magical 100% mark.
    That video actually was interesting in that the intro video explains the mirror are safety mirrors, in a segment I don't think was ever in the ride before.

Leave a comment:

• Emrakul
    replied
    Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

I believe the ride was scheduled for some TLC/refurbishment/plussing, but I worry that it has been tabled for the time being. If new rides, refurbishments and other earmarked plans are getting taken off the schedule to cut costs in light of the Asia park closures, we might not see some TLC for a while.

Just curious, which skeleton chamber are you referring to? The first one where they "fall" all over the vehicle, the second one with all the skulls behind Mara's face, or the third where they throw spears? Now that I think about it, the Temple of the Forbidden Eye really is a dark place...

For me the broken ride is always Splash Mountain. I cannot think of a single time in the last 10 years where some effect has not been broken/turned off in some way.
    The one where they fall all over the vehicle (including the mickey mouse ear ones). The Spear Segment was the worse one because I'm never sure if it's supposed to be painting of them or actual live skeletons.

Leave a comment:

• WaltDisney'sAlec
    replied
    Originally posted by Emrakul View Post
    Indy seems to be the ride that I know for "everyone is broken now". I was so happy when they decided to use projectors instead for the doors and Mara, but everything else save for the Skeleton Chamber really needs some work. At least the boulder still works.
    I believe the ride was scheduled for some TLC/refurbishment/plussing, but I worry that it has been tabled for the time being. If new rides, refurbishments and other earmarked plans are getting taken off the schedule to cut costs in light of the Asia park closures, we might not see some TLC for a while.

Just curious, which skeleton chamber are you referring to? The first one where they "fall" all over the vehicle, the second one with all the skulls behind Mara's face, or the third where they throw spears? Now that I think about it, the Temple of the Forbidden Eye really is a dark place...

For me the broken ride is always Splash Mountain. I cannot think of a single time in the last 10 years where some effect has not been broken/turned off in some way.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Slight correction: It is impossible to properly maintain and update Disneyland style attraction entertainment while making the obscene hyper-profits that Disney's obscenely-paid executives demand.
    Indiana Jones needs TLC for properly maintain and update.........
    Disney's obscenely-paid executives, will always come first ,

So I expect continue to see number up with broken elements!

Leave a comment:

• Emrakul
    replied
    Indy seems to be the ride that I know for "everyone is broken now". I was so happy when they decided to use projectors instead for the doors and Mara, but everything else save for the Skeleton Chamber really needs some work. At least the boulder still works.

Leave a comment:

• karelkippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Quentin View Post
    The bamboo effect was working perfectly this past weekend. I was shocked and beyond thrilled to see the ceiling actually drop.
    This was active as well and it actually startled me and my gf. I do wish the spikes would drop lower, but the sound effect certainly wakes you up!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
    Your argument tells me that it is impossible to properly maintain and update Disneyland style attraction entertainment while making a profit.
    Slight correction: It is impossible to properly maintain and update Disneyland style attraction entertainment while making the obscene hyper-profits that Disney's obscenely-paid executives demand.

Leave a comment:

• ravencroft
    replied

Again, generalization. People do a lot of that here...

There are too many archaic systems that need rebuilding constantly, that are inspected annually - that the state requires expensive modifications on annually - along with expensive and unique new systems that require expensive proprietary tools and software and manufacturer support to maintain. Heck, the newest ride systems are usually already obsolete once the ride is opened, so you're immediately fabricating new parts for rides not even 5 years old.

This is simply cost of sustainment. Engineers would love to just bulldoze all the old stuff and build newer, more reliable systems with plentiful parts. But there are also regulatory issues with doing that. Most of the pre-70s attractions are grandfathered in, safety wise. A new Matterhorn would be 4 times the size if built to the same design ideals.

Then you get into development costs for the constant entertainment turnover that people demand.

Let alone trying to be profitable.
    The comment was a flippant remark alluding to the observation that Disneyland admission has, in fact, gone up a lot while show quality, for whatever reasons, has gone down.

Your argument tells me that it is impossible to properly maintain and update Disneyland style attraction entertainment while making a profit.

I believe you based on everything I have witnessed.

Leave a comment:

• LangenFox
    replied
    Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

The tragic Christmas Eve Columbia accident in '98 five years before the BTMRR accident also basically happened due to budget cuts with maintenance/training, or lack thereof.

Back on-topic, I was lucky enough to go on Indy opening day. It was pretty special and was well worth the 4-5 hour wait we had in the cool winter drizzle that day. I remember the spike ceiling working back then, it was a great effect! So glad to hear the ceiling is physically moving once again! One effect that has never worked since the queue-only preview in winter '95 and was already not working by opening day was right after that spike chamber, the columns and stones above you on the scaffolding would shake and appear to be ready to topple over on top of you if you stepped on certain diamond stones on the ground. Does anybody else remember seeing this when they had the queue-only previews before the actual ride opened? Also, I liked when they handed out the code cards and had fun trying to decipher the hidden messages all over. Granted, this would not work now since the line usually moves fast now.

I also remember the rock falling effect in the big room entrance scene. One effect that actually is better now, or at least when it is working, is the rat room. The effect early on was a lot less effective and looked even less convincing than it does now. The more turbulent experience that was in effect the first few years was also pretty intense and it's sad Disney was forced to tone it down from complaining guests. I think they should have a "rough" side and "less rough" side like someone else mentioned, much like Mission SPACE at Epcot.

And I do remember the older, first giant snake too! It was definitely a little more cartoonish than the current one, but the new one is much more animated and actually "strikes" at you unlike the original one did. And I also only remember the retractable fangs on the 2nd version.

Another effect that changed drastically since the original version was the first time you see Indy. The original figure had his back to the door and was using his back to keep the door closed. Where as the newer audio-animatronic figure is sort of off to the side facing the track and pointing to the exit/entrance of the giant room. They also added the cool effect where you see his fedora silhouette on the wall as you enter that room when they installed the second and improved figure. Using YouTube videos, I believe the new figure was added some time in late 2009. I've seen videos from Sep '09 with the original Indy still there, but by Dec '09 the 2nd (and current) Indy figure was in place.

Original Indy (1995-2009)

Click image for larger version Name:	original indy.PNG Views:	8 Size:	392.4 KB ID:	8612331Click image for larger version Name:	og indy.PNG Views:	8 Size:	718.7 KB ID:	8612332

Current Indy (2010-)

Click image for larger version Name:	new indy.PNG Views:	8 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	8612333Click image for larger version Name:	2nd indy 2.PNG Views:	8 Size:	320.4 KB ID:	8612334Click image for larger version Name:	2nd indy 3.PNG Views:	8 Size:	370.5 KB ID:	8612335Click image for larger version Name:	2nd indy.PNG Views:	8 Size:	560.9 KB ID:	8612336
    Hi, DarthBrett78,

Actually, the new Indiana Jones audio-animatronic that replaced the original 1995 one at the Gates of Doom scene happened on October 4, 2009. The new one has a more natural pose, better movements, and a likeness of Harrison Ford compare to the original one. The new Indy AA at the Gates of Doom looks more like Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones himself, so that's a huge plus from Disney.

As for the two other Indy AAs, the boulder Indy AA got replaced in September 2010 along with the finale Indy AA respectively. Since, both of them were getting outdated and don't look like Harrison Ford at all.

All three current Indy AAs have the likeness of Harrison Ford and they all look more natural and life-like compare to the original 1995 versions obviously. The original 1995 Indy AAs all don't look like Harrison Ford, in fact each of their faces look different. Since it is a dark ride, it's hard to clearly see all their faces when the Jeep is running. So, it's really not noticeable for many average guests, unless some looked closely or have a keen eye. The original boulder Indy AA up to used to have a face that looks like a random Mexican-looking man, rather than Harrison Ford. If you visit Daveland's Disneyland photo website and look up his Indiana Jones Adventure photos, you can understand what I mean.

As always, I prefer the new Indiana Jones Audio-Animatronics compare to the original 1995 ones. As the original ones were not that good, but they still had life-like movements that makes them realistic like the new ones are.

https://www.davelandweb.com/indianajones/

Leave a comment:

• Zanadros
    replied
    This is simply cost of sustainment. Engineers would love to just bulldoze all the old stuff and build newer, more reliable systems with plentiful parts. But there are also regulatory issues with doing that. Most of the pre-70s attractions are grandfathered in, safety wise.
    Great points. Think of the archaic systems powering these rides. I can’t think of many ride systems or mechanics built in the 1960s still in use today other than at Disneyland. It’s a miracle that most of this stuff still functions on a day to day basis running nonstop from 8 am until midnight. Indiana Jones is much newer in comparison to say, the Matterhorn, but it was so complex when it was built. There was nothing else like it in any theme park. Over 20 years of grinding and wear and tear, especially with the amount of stop and go this ride does. I’m glad it’s going down for an extended rehab this year. Hopefully it’s done correctly and they don’t cheap out on real mechanical fixes.

Leave a comment:

• Theme_Park_Insider
    replied
    Originally posted by ravencroft View Post

Which is why the price increases for admission have outpaced inflation, right ?
    Again, generalization. People do a lot of that here...

There are too many archaic systems that need rebuilding constantly, that are inspected annually - that the state requires expensive modifications on annually - along with expensive and unique new systems that require expensive proprietary tools and software and manufacturer support to maintain. Heck, the newest ride systems are usually already obsolete once the ride is opened, so you're immediately fabricating new parts for rides not even 5 years old.

This is simply cost of sustainment. Engineers would love to just bulldoze all the old stuff and build newer, more reliable systems with plentiful parts. But there are also regulatory issues with doing that. Most of the pre-70s attractions are grandfathered in, safety wise. A new Matterhorn would be 4 times the size if built to the same design ideals.

Then you get into development costs for the constant entertainment turnover that people demand.

Let alone trying to be profitable.

Leave a comment:

• ravencroft
    replied

And I'll tell you from personal experience, keeping a legacy attraction running reliably at Disneyland 18 hours a day is expensive. Many parts need to be custom fabricated, and wherever possible, upgraded with off the shelf components. But for the most part, they are the same design from decades ago, and require massive labor to keep up, that's all behind the scenes.
    Which is why the price increases for admission have outpaced inflation, right ?

Leave a comment:

• brian11811
    replied
    I think one of my first posts on Micechat was in 2009 or so asking the same question about the ride being toned down and the answer was yes. I rode it the first year it came out, and it was still good in the late 90s I think, but I took a 10 year break between visits so somewhere between 1998 and 2008 they toned it down. What I noticed the 1st time returning after the tone down, was that it felt much more sluggish, the door moving effect was gone, and the snake was extremely tame. I think the fire Effects seemed larger in the past as well. Maybe some is from having ridden it so many times, but no other ride feels “Underwhelming” after repeat rides... The rolling ball rock is still great when it works, but sometimes the syncing is off and its just kind of lame. It was my favorite ride before the tone down.

Leave a comment:

• GreatAndoski
    replied
    Originally posted by IndyAdventurer View Post
    The doors were a nice touch, but ultimately just a fun gimmick at the beinning...nice things to have, but neither was vital to the ride experience.
    I must disagree with you on the doors not being vital to the ride experience. Everyone posting on this thread could probably draw a schematic of that room and how the door effect originally worked, but do you remember when the ride was brand new and you didn't know how it worked?

I still remember reading a newspaper review in 1995 that said something like "my ride took me through the eternal youth path, but I can't wait to ride again to see the other two versions of the ride."

It's a very simple effect, yes, but also very very convincing. The intrigue of wondering what was behind those other two doors (and where they would have lead you) was really cool and effective for riders of all ages. Unless it was all explained to you (i.e. the walls move, you always go thru the same door, there's only one Mara room with 3 different lighting modes), most people would never figure it out*.

(*Ditto for the whole "you don't actually back up in the boulder scene" revelation)
    Last edited by GreatAndoski; 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X