Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soarin' Over California returns February 28th

https://www.micechat.com/249660-soar...nia-adventure/
    It's being reported that Soarin' Over California will return February 28th for the Food and Wine Festival. Unusual, considering it was also brought back last summer, but any opportunity to ride the defunct attraction is a plus, since I usually skip the new film.

Don't know why it's not just around all the time. I know they went through the effort of making the new film but the old one's objectively better and fits more in DCA. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Lopez View Post
      Don't know why it's not just around all the time. I know they went through the effort of making the new film but the old one's objectively better and fits more in DCA. :/
      Probably marketing reasons. The footage is also nearly 20 years old at this point, and the fact that it cuts between scenes also displeases many. I think you can even see the Rocket Rods sign at the end if you look hard enough. Despite those shortcomings I would prefer Goldsmith's score and the orange fields to what's there now, and lots of people feel the same, hence why Disney brings it back to get more guests.

Comment

I think this is great news! Overall, I enjoy Soarin' Over the World, but I don't like how so many of the buildings and stuff on the screen leans to one side unless you're not smack dab in the center. We're going to Disneyland in March...my kids will be pleased about Soarin' Over CA.

Comment

Originally posted by spinycactus View Post
          I think this is great news! Overall, I enjoy Soarin' Over the World, but I don't like how so many of the buildings and stuff on the screen leans to one side unless you're not smack dab in the center. We're going to Disneyland in March...my kids will be pleased about Soarin' Over CA.
          Heh...that's a really good point. I hadn't realized how strategic my thinking had become about where to sit with World and how I never thought that way with California previously.

Comment

Soarin Over California was always a must do. We went on Soarin Over The World once.

Could they not run both to satisfy all?

Comment

I love the original and don't have any issues with the new film. But when they brought SoC back last summer, I was struck at how dated the film looked. The resolution and overall video quality is significantly better on the newer SoW film. Also, I always thought it was weird that SoC ended in a Christmas-themed night scene at DL. In the middle of July, it just feels strange.

Comment

Soarin Over California
                I Truly love flying over California's great landmarks and cool way to see this pretty state.
                and it Makes feel like a soaring EAGLE !

Fans of the original ride continue to petition for the California version, to return permanently.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by AhpalovestheDuck View Post
                  Soarin Over California was always a must do. We went on Soarin Over The World once.

Could they not run both to satisfy all?
                  Because it would embarrass Disney due to the line for Soaring over California would be twice as long all the time.

Comment

Love the old film really dislike the world version. This is great news to our family!
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

They should make the California version permanent and the World should be the seasonal option.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                        They should make the California version permanent and the World should be the seasonal option.
                        Agreed. I kind of always thought that the California version should only be at DL and the newer World version should only be at Epcot at DW. Makes more sense that way too. But I also like your idea where they are reversed and World is the limited one here.

Comment

They should just remake the California version, updated, higher quality shots of most of the classic scenes plus maybe a couple new ones.
                          "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

I frankly am still shocked why they can't green light the budget to update SoC with todays drone cameras this type of footage is able to be produced for a small fraction of what the original costs. I also think a "Soarin over America" should be considered I agree with many that the CA version is the far more entertaining even with the abrupt cut's my family agrees as well though my girls do really like the Fiji segment of Over the World. I think they should do an over the world version where it changes up venues like Star Tours so each ride is different experience.

And please stop having footage over towers like other have said it ruins it for guests sitting on the sides. I think this also make SoC more desirable because the footage provides less distortion.

Comment

SotW is wonderful if you're right smack in the middle, but 'not so much' if you're on the periphery. SoC has so many more 'good seats'!!

I'd love to see them put SoC back permanently with SotW as a 'seasonal offering'. And I don't think SoC needs all that much updating, maybe just update the fireworks scene. But if they want to update the Yosemite hang gliding scene, my DH will be happy to oblige! He's flying there this summer.
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

"Why did you make a CGI Taj Mahal?"

"We couldn't get permission." -WDI

Maybe take that as a sign? If it ain't broke...

Comment

I'll be the first to admit there is quite a bit I like about Soarin' Around the World. I love the opening shot flying over the Matterhorn, Neuschwanstein Castle, outriggers in Fiji, the Eiffel Tower, and the final Disneyland flyover. Everything else could go, from the CGI scenes to the in-your-face transitions. I prefer longer shots with abrupt scene changes over playing chicken with an airplane or eagles appearing out of thin air. I honestly wouldn't even mind splicing some of the new scenes into Soarin' Over California.

Even though Soarin' Over California has been digitally remastered for 4K, it still looks dated to a small degree. They absolutely should have remade Soarin' Over California. At least change out the old Cast Member Christmas party scene (RIP) for the new one. I remember Micechat reporting on having all the transportation (monorail, train, and helicopter) on radios along with the crowd to choreograph the movements/cheering perfectly. I still get chills watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                                    I I remember Micechat reporting on having all the transportation (monorail, train, and helicopter) on radios along with the crowd to choreograph the movements/cheering perfectly. I still get chills watching it.
                                    I always wondered if they pulled that shot off in 1 take or had to do a few tries before they nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by TLand2055 View Post
                                      Despite those shortcomings I would prefer Goldsmith's score and the orange fields to what's there now, and lots of people feel the same, hence why Disney brings it back to get more guests.
                                      Fun Fact: After riding Soarin, Jerry Goldsmith loved the experience, so much he was moved to tears. He later said he would even done the composition free of charge because he loved the ride that much.

Comment

Goldsmith's score does make
                                        Soarin Over California a special treat to this film
                                        and does it ADD a lot to it !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X