Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Best and worst overlays?

I know overlays are a bit of controversial topic around these parts, but let's talk about our favorites, and least favorites.

Best: Haunted Mansion Holiday. This is probably the most controversial one, but I feel like it's also the one with the most effort put in with AAs built specifically for it, all new narration, music, etc. It can be argued that it starts too early, but the quality is there.

Honorable mention: it's a small world holiday version. I'm a sucker for Christmas decorations and music, so I gotta give it some love.

Worst: Jingle Cruise. They just kinda threw a bunch of crappy decorations around the scenes. Not exactly inspired.

Dishonorable mention: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. This one was pretty popular, but I dunno, something about it never quite clicked for me.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

It's a Small World is my favorite and in my opinion, the most well done and the one that fits perfectly and just works. I will agree that HMH has a very high budget and a lot of creativity and effort goes into it by Disney, so it gets an 'A' in that respect. But it is still a chaotic mess and doesn't make much sense where it is and why it is there story wise and thematic-wise. It's sort of a jumbled mess of an attraction in those instances. The other overlays add to the existing attractions for the most part, while HMH detracts from the original and sort of ruins it by making it something completely different entirely. Which for some, may be an actual positive thing, but I love the original, so the overlay lessens the attraction by a decent amount for me. And, as it was pointed out, it starts way too early and shouldn't begin until November, so it gets a big mark against it from me for that reason as well. Jingle Cruise was definitely the least inspired and just had junk thrown all around. It was neat, but definitely done on the cheap. I've only experienced the Ghost Galaxy SM overlay a handful of times. It's decent, but never blew me away. I'd say it's my 3rd fav. The other overlay that was really good and worked perfectly was the Country Bear Christmas show. That was up there with the SW one IMO.

So ranking them, I put them in this order:

01. - It's a Small World (10/10)
    02. - Country Bears (9/10)
    03. - Haunted Mansion (8/10)
    04. - Space Mountain (6/10)
    05. - Jungle Cruise (5/10)

I am shocked Disney has never attempted to do a Tiki Room Xmas overlay. I think that would be immensely popular, super easy to do once it was created for the 1st time and it would fit perfectly. I would think it's been pitched at some point by now.

Comment

As much as I prefer the classic I think the HM overlay is done really well and is my favorite overlay. For one of my girls who was creeped out for a couple of years by animatronics on Hm and POTC the Holiday overlay was something she enjoyed.

Least favorite Overlay is probably Ghost Galaxies.

Honorable mention to the Holiday overlay of Carsland which I always feel is done well.

Comment

Best: Haunted Mansion Holiday. I'm not going to beat a ghost horse, by this point I'm sure folks 'round here know how much I love this overlay. I made a post about the top 10 rides I'd ever been on over in the community outpost and this/classic Mansion were #1, in case anyone wants more information as to why.

Worst: Hyperspace Mountain, hands down. I'm a big fan of classic Space and I like Ghost Galaxy well enough (always love more Halloween in the parks), heck, I even enjoyed Rockin' Space Mountain, but Hyperspace is just.. bleck to me. We have enough Star Wars in the parks already and the overlay's music just doesn't jive with me, especially that epic score at the beginning as you go through the slowest "lightspeed" jump of your life. Add in warped, out of scale projections, a welcome long overstayed even by Holiday Mansion standards and you've got a hard pass from me. It was fun to ride once, admittedly. But I'm just over it now.
        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

The only ones that make me smile, bring me joy and that I really look forward to are It's a Small World and Country Bears. All the others I enjoy, but don't really care if they are there or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
            The only ones that make me smile, bring me joy and that I really look forward to are It's a Small World and Country Bears. All the others I enjoy, but don't really care if they are there or not.
            I miss the Family attraction of Country Bear Jamboree
            and Agree it did have some cute overlays for Christmas and they had Vacation hole down.
            Always It's a Small World -"Small World Holiday" always cheerful to see.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I like the Haunted Mansion best, I can't come up with a worst because i like all of them.

Comment

Can I call the Incredicoaster an overlay? If I can, then that has got to be the worst, in my opinion.

I think that the Christmas overlay for Small World makes the attraction worth riding.

I really don't appreciate how long the overlay for Haunted Mansion sticks around, but I must admit that I do appreciate the snow in the graveyard, because it makes the sets there so much easier to see.

I wasn't impressed with the Jingle Cruise.

Oh, and if I can call the Incredicoaster an overlay, I should be able to pin the same label on every Jack Sparrow mention on Pirates. Can't wait for it all to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McDuck View Post
                  Can I call the Incredicoaster an overlay? If I can, then that has got to be the worst, in my opinion.

I think that the Christmas overlay for Small World makes the attraction worth riding.

I really don't appreciate how long the overlay for Haunted Mansion sticks around, but I must admit that I do appreciate the snow in the graveyard, because it makes the sets there so much easier to see.

I wasn't impressed with the Jingle Cruise.

Oh, and if I can call the Incredicoaster an overlay, I should be able to pin the same label on every Jack Sparrow mention on Pirates. Can't wait for it all to go away.
                  I actually considered including the Incredicoaster, but as it's a permanent change (for now) I decided it didn't count as an overlay, which I was considering temporary for the purposes of this thread.
                  "Have I gone mad?"
                  "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

I love both the HMH and IASWH overlays. As someone else said, the latter overlay gives a reason to ride IASW whereas for HM, I ride it both with and without the overlay.

For SM, I do like both the classic ride and Hyperspace, but Ghost Galaxy is just ok. I don't mind it, but I don't find it very exciting or interesting.

I loved all the versions of CBJ, obvs. I wish it would come back.

I think overlays at DL are good because so many of us go year round so it gives us something new every so often. I think they should do more of them actually.
                    "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Does Soarin' Over California count?

Comment

Best: Haunted Mansion Holiday, Ghost Galaxy

Worst: Hyperspace Mountain

Comment

Best: Haunted Mansion Holiday. Call me a heretic, but I like it better than the original.

Worst: Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. I kept expecting to see "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" in there.

Other overlay comments:
                          - Cars Land: Halloween and Christmas -- very well done
                          - Hyperspace Mountain: I also think this improves the original ride. Also heretical, I know.
                          - Jingle Cruise: Weird, but strangely fun. I get the criticism, though.
                          - Small World: Very well done.

Comment

My favorites:
                            Hyperspace
                            Jingle Cruise
                            HMH

Comment

The Good.

It’s not popular here but I love Ghost Galaxy (it’s the only attraction I truly find eerie and adult; thus it is unique). I missed it last Halloween season.

However, IASW holiday is the best. It’s like the attraction was made for it and anecdotally, I know few who enjoy it only this way.

HMH is in your face but it works well. I think it should wait until November but the actual overlay is great.

GOTGM:B This is fun and won me over on what the imagineers could do with limits.

The Bad:

GOTGM:B. Because it’s permanent and needs more work with this in mind.

Jingle Cruise. The idea is that the holiday stuff was lost and is thus just thrown about the jungle and it’s too on point to that. I don’t find it funny or charming. It’s just kind of there.

I agree with The Real McDuck on incredicoaster. Just feels bad and is worse because it is permanent.

The middle: Hyperspace Mountain. It works thematically but since it feels brighter than Ghost Galaxy, it lights up the track a little too much. I think I enjoy it because of Star Wars (and not in of itself).
                              Your false dichotomy bores me.

Comment

I enjoy the Christmas music in iasw ... although this year it seemed to me it was a little different? I enjoy the small changes to the NBC overlay ... and the Jingle Cruise was a fun attempt at "how much holiday hokum can we get away with?"

Not such a big fan of the Space Mountain overlays.I wish they had more to overlay on DCA, like maybe a holiday Philharmagic.

Comment

My favorite is It's a Small World, especially with the new scents/decorations. It's well done, and the jingle bells/IaSW song mashup is less annoying than IaSW over and over and over.

I actually enjoyed Jingle Cruise and the slightly different (still "bad") jokes it brought.

My least favorite is HM - I don't mind the overlay per se, but I will never get off my soapbox that it should run AFTER Halloween through Christmas. There is nothing more Halloween-ish than a HAUNTED HOUSE. The NBC overlay is up waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Comment

Haunted Mansion Holiday is the best overlay even though it operates two months too long each year. It's a Small World Holiday changes the attraction the least, which might be a plus. Hyperspace Mountain is the worst because it drags Star Wars into a ride that is already the best in Tomorrowland. I haven't been on Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and I wouldn't be surprised if people missed it last year.

Comment

Tarzan's Treehouse (over Swiss Family Treehouse)

Comment

Least favorite: The gaudy and loud Las Vegas-style spectacle/overlay of New Orleans Square evenings.
                                        Favorite: The holiday version of It's a Small World.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X