• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio Lopez
    still searching for buzzy
    • Aug 2016

DCA Sightlines... STILL an issue

Is it just me or has it become clear Disney is completely unbothered by the horrible sightline breaks at DCA. Namely the Anaheim Convention Center from Paradise Garden Park, or viewing Mission:Breakout from... everywhere?? (I’ll include images). It’s just a shame that after all these years, the sightlines in Disneyland have stayed intact, but the ones in DCA seem to be unregulated. (Also I believe I remember a thread about this a few years back, but everyone assumed with the new lands and updates, the issues would iron out but clearly the didn’t ahaha) ​​​​​Disneyland proper even employs unconventional methods like the famous Matterhorn Tree to block sights of the Matterhorn from the Rivers of America. Would it be impossible to add some faux brick/stone old Hollywood style skyscrapers to cover the tower. The skyscrapers would be “””understandable”” in avengers campus. Heck, even add some painted signs/ billboards to theme avengers m o r e.. you wouldn’t see it from cars, hoping the trees cover, but if not, PLANT TREES cause seriously those are the #1 coverup for sightline issues. Then, there’s gotta be SOME way to cover the views to the convention center from inside the park. Obscure it with some faux. Roller coaster h
    rolling hills, and even some “”coastal cliffs”” you’d find on the coast, but would make sense if you were to see them from cars land. There is A singular wall of this, but it feels incomplete and more like an idea to cover up the cars show building. Overall, the dca sightlines are super messy and Walt would never. hehe
    Attached Files
  • Antonio Lopez
    • Aug 2016

(Also I know those drawings aren’t great. I know Disney can do it better it’s just to convey an idea)

Comment

• Spongeocto4
      Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Sightlines in Disneyland aren't all perfect. Splash Mountain gives the guests a 5 second glance of the rest of the park. The Matterhorn sticks out noticeably in the park. And the monorail gives you a wonderful view of Harbor Blvd.

That being said, I do hope they address some sightlines in DCA. Keep in mind the surrounding vegation in the DCA is nearly 2 decades old at best, compared to the abundant vegation in Disneyland which is at least 3 times older. And this is only the added plant life, as some predate the park(the century plus palm in Adventureland, for example).
      "...but life without cake is no life at all"
      -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
      WDW: 2006
      Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• Yamamoto364
        MiceChatter
        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Antonio Lopez View Post
        Is it just me or has it become clear Disney is completely unbothered by the horrible sightline breaks at DCA. Namely the Anaheim Convention Center from Paradise Garden Park, or viewing Mission:Breakout from... everywhere?? (I’ll include images). It’s just a shame that after all these years, the sightlines in Disneyland have stayed intact, but the ones in DCA seem to be unregulated. (Also I believe I remember a thread about this a few years back, but everyone assumed with the new lands and updates, the issues would iron out but clearly the didn’t ahaha) ​​​​​Disneyland proper even employs unconventional methods like the famous Matterhorn Tree to block sights of the Matterhorn from the Rivers of America. Would it be impossible to add some faux brick/stone old Hollywood style skyscrapers to cover the tower. The skyscrapers would be “””understandable”” in avengers campus. Heck, even add some painted signs/ billboards to theme avengers m o r e.. you wouldn’t see it from cars, hoping the trees cover, but if not, PLANT TREES cause seriously those are the #1 coverup for sightline issues. Then, there’s gotta be SOME way to cover the views to the convention center from inside the park. Obscure it with some faux. Roller coaster h
        rolling hills, and even some “”coastal cliffs”” you’d find on the coast, but would make sense if you were to see them from cars land. There is A singular wall of this, but it feels incomplete and more like an idea to cover up the cars show building. Overall, the dca sightlines are super messy and Walt would never. hehe
        Walt would never? I wouldn’t say that. He did put a Swiss mountain in the park that you could see from most of the park at the time.

Comment

• Antonio Lopez
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post

Walt would never? I wouldn’t say that. He did put a Swiss mountain in the park that you could see from most of the park at the time.
          Never intentionally at least. Trees growing in is one problem, having a large space tower visible from Buena Vista St. with them doing nothing about it is another,

Comment

• DisneySpaceAce
            Jedi Master
            • Jul 2014

Sadly, because of the way it was originally built, there's only so much that can be done.
            "Have I gone mad?"
            "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

• zugzug15
              Master of Disaster
              • Jan 2005

Never intentionally at least. Trees growing in is one problem, having a large space tower visible from Buena Vista St. with them doing nothing about it is another,
              That's called a "weenie" and its done on purpose to draw you into another section of the park. Buena vista street is DCA's main street. From main street each land has things designed to draw you into the other lands (or they did when walt designed the park.) I can give you being able to see the tower from say pixar pier is a bit off and I agree there are issues with seeing OUTSIDE of the park from the inside but i have zero issue with being able to see other parts of the park from buena vista street.

Comment

• Jesser-pie
                MiceChatter
                • Jun 2009

Matterhorn is more timeless sightline (being a mountain) than whatever GOTG is supposed to be (spaceship that landed?). Although intrude don’t think it looks all that bad. For me, it’s the last thing I would fix in DCA.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Is it just me or has it become clear Disney is completely unbothered by the horrible sightline breaks at DCA.
                  For a management that slashes staffing budgets, lays off live entertainers, reduces the number of in-service ride vehicles and delays repairing ride show elements to increase profits, aesthetics like sightlines are not remotely on the radar.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Blurr
                    Fastest Bot in the Galaxy
                    • May 2011

I agree with sight line issues regarding stuff like the Anaheim Convention Center, hotels, etc. but not so much with the concept of sight lines of other attractions being an issue. As others have said, Disneyland is full of sight line breaks like this that we've grown to love or accept. It's part of the magic of being there, I don't think attraction sight lines are a bother in DCA. But yeah, it does sort of take you out the area you're in when I can see the same convention center I attended a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament for last week while walking around the park. An exception here, obviously, are attractions with a good amount of height to them. It's only natural that I'm going to be seeing outside the parks or "not safe for magic" stuff when I get on something like California Screamin', the Monorail, Splash Mountain, etc. etc. Comes with the territory and I don't think those instances are an issue and I don't think Walt would have thought them to be either (otherwise, he wouldn't have built the Skyway!).

Comment

• Starcade
                      Old Skateboarder

• May 2017

The moment they decided to have a virtually random park layout with very few shortcuts and decided not to include any sort of berm the fix was in that there would be many site line issues. Without proper forethought any quickly hashed plan will find itself full of flaws.

Like others have said though there are much bigger issues for management to get a clue on then sight lines at this point.

DL has a bunch of bad sight lines such as the ability to see a Spaceship from Thunder Mtn. or a Monorail wizzing by an old Swiss chalet or through Alice in Wonderlands world.
                      Last edited by Starcade; 02-06-2020, 10:41 AM.
                      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

• wlc
                        Phantom
                        • Jan 2006

I'd like to see fixes, but I'm not really bothered by it in the same way I would be at Disneyland. To me, DCA is the "cheap" park (even if it's not reflected in the price) where they throw ideas that don't fit anywhere else. Over time, it also became the "IP Park" in my mind where they just toss the IPs they want wherever they can put them. I felt like Disney was turning DCA into something better, then the whole GotG:MB thing happened, Avengers Campus, etc and now it just feels like they're going backwards again.

Unfortunately I feel that SW:GE feels "cheap" in Disneyland in the same way. It feels like it was just tossed wherever they had space, to fill the perceived need for the IP. I felt a genuine loss to Disneyland when SW:GE construction changed it, since it felt DCA-style to me. I have no real hopes for DCA turning into a Disneyland-quality park as a whole, but I have fears of Disneyland turning closer to DCA.

Comment

• LangenFox
                          Disney/Anime/Furry Fan
                          • Apr 2009

The first photo with the DCA Tower of Terror view from Cars Land still looks amazing and fits well.

The later photos showing Cars Land with the ugly GOTG: MB Fortress Tower looks ugly and out of place.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                          Save
                          Sav

Comment

• Stormy
                            Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                            When TOT was there, it was cohesive, even believable from Cars Land. When they put Guardians in, they screwed it up beyond fixable. Thanks Disney.
                            Exactly right. The sightlines were pretty much 'believable' up to that point, including ToT, even if one had to use a bit of imagination to make the view fit. But a futuristic tower? Nope, can't make that fit in an LA street, a national park, or a desert town no matter how hard you try.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• md6379a
                              MiceChatter
                              • May 2015

Poor sightlines are one of the main reasons DCA doesn't feel nearly as pleasant and transportive as Disneyland. Indeed, Walt took this so seriously that he built a berm around the park and ensured permanent hight restrictions for buildings in the city of Anaheim as a condition to building the park there.

With DCA, the Anaheim Convention Center and associated Katella Avenue hotels are the worst offenders. Imagineer Tim Delaney said that he designed California Screamin' to function as a pseudo-berm, blocking out as much of those buildings as possible. Why not build some false roller coaster hills that block out the rest of those sightlines? That should have been part of the Pixar Pier budget. Or perhaps this will be taken into account when the Pier area is finally replaced?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X