Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilapidated Haunted Mansion makeover?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dilapidated Haunted Mansion makeover?

    There's speculation that the color scheme on the illustrated tarp covering the front of Snow White might foreshadow a lighter, brighter façade for the revised not so scary adventures.

    Meanwhile over in NOS, the Haunted Mansion now lies behind a tarp showing the classic Sam McKim illustration of a dilapidated and windswept HM. If we accept the rumors concerning Snow White, can we also expect a weather beaten HM façade to emerge when the scrim is pulled away?

    I know what Walt's thoughts were on the subject, but this is one instance where I would have to disagree. It would be far more effective in telling the spooky story of HM than the familiar neat and pretty approach, as has been very well demonstrated by Phantom Manor at DLP. I also think it would transition better with the ramshackle Splash Mountain and it's overgrown briar patch right next door. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Disney_Dad; 02-05-2020, 12:13 PM.

  • #2
    The mansion is going to emerge looking exactly the same as it did before. This is the same thing they did with the castle refurb last year, where the printed scrims showed concept art of the castle and not a photorealistic version. As we know, the castle emerged with a fresh paint job but otherwise looking exactly the same.

    I would say that the only speculation worth leaning to is the idea that Snow White might have its name changed. Considering the naming style of modern-day imagineering, I look forward to the grand reopening of Heigh Ho: Scary Adventures of Snow White - Trees, Dwarfs, & Witches.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GreatAndoski View Post
      The mansion is going to emerge looking exactly the same as it did before. This is the same thing they did with the castle refurb last year, where the printed scrims showed concept art of the castle and not a photorealistic version. As we know, the castle emerged with a fresh paint job but otherwise looking exactly the same.

      I would say that the only speculation worth leaning to is the idea that Snow White might have its name changed. Considering the naming style of modern-day imagineering, I look forward to the grand reopening of Heigh Ho: Scary Adventures of Snow White - Trees, Dwarfs, & Witches.
      I sure hope they don’t do what they did to the castle. If they add sparkly princess stars to the columns or gables I’m never setting foot in Disneyland again!

      Comment


      • #4
        I think die hard Disney fans would riot, as it would go against Walt's Intention. The outside of the manor to be maintained by the park, while the inside was 'maintained by the ghosts'. Meaning, he wanted the mansion to have a pristine front, but have a dilapidated look inside.

        I wonder if work will be done elsewhere in the ride, as the downtime is for HM is quite long. Maybe they're replacing the roof, as well?

        Comment


        • #5
          I believe it mentioned in a couple of different places that they are also needing to do some asbestos abaitement which can take time depending on how extensive it is.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don’t think they would change anything on it. The scrim is just a shout out to HM Fans. The whole point is the ride slowly gets more dilapidated as you progress to “the other side”. Have you learned nothing from the long forgotten haunted mansion thread? You should check it out. Its quite a good read on the Long Forgotten blog.

            But, I could be wrong. I don’t think Disney fans would stand for the HM getting messed with (other than Nightmare Before Christmas of course).

            Comment


            • #7
              As already noted - Walt’s intention: “We’ll take care of the outside. And let the ghosts take care of the inside.”

              Anyone wanting to visit a shabby looking haunted mansion exterior need to visit Phantom Manor at DL Paris.
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Disney_Dad View Post
                It would be far more effective in telling the spooky story of HM than the familiar neat and pretty approach...
                The HM has been "effectively" telling its "spooky story" for over 50 years. You don't need to fix something that isn't broken!

                Comment


                • #9
                  What would be really cool is a projection-mapping effect at night, where for a flashing second the whole mansion becomes dilapidated, only to quickly be re-iluminated to its regular facade. This could be the same concept as how the changing portraits morph only when lighting flash. Just an idea .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post
                    What would be really cool is a projection-mapping effect at night, where for a flashing second the whole mansion becomes dilapidated, only to quickly be re-iluminated to its regular facade. This could be the same concept as how the changing portraits morph only when lighting flash. Just an idea .
                    That would be awesome! I love that concept art for the Haunted Mansion and I think it would be incredibly cool if the attraction did look like that, it is a haunted house after all. But I also think Walt’s idea of how it should be works incredibly well also. But projection mapping that look on it at night sometimes would be great, I’d love to see that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I really like the projection mapping idea.

                      I've clearly hit a raw nerve with one or two posters here. I didn't mean to offend, honestly.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am not worried they will change it but if they did, I wouldn’t be a fan. The fact that a supposedly abandoned manor is still maintained on the outside is a different kind of creepy and chilling in a subtle way.
                        APs
                        Burning Cabin
                        Splash Mountain
                        Star Wars
                        Fantasy Faire
                        Smoking
                        Pirates
                        Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

                        Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Disney_Dad View Post
                          I really like the projection mapping idea.

                          I've clearly hit a raw nerve with one or two posters here. I didn't mean to offend, honestly.
                          I mean, the façade is pretty much trashed 6 months a year with a bunch of HMH garbage. I liked the first couple of years where it was the countdown clock and the nice chandeliers and pumpkins - but after that, they went ALL OUT with the crashed sleigh, huge naughty/nice list, etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The dilapidated facade could have been cool if that's what they wanted to do with it when the ride first opened, but 50 years later I don't really see a good reason to change it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah, that painting is my favorite look of the mansion! But I agree, it just wouldn't look right if that's how it appeared in the park, especially since it's always looked beautiful from the beginning. Walt knew what he was doing However, the projection idea would be a perfect way to have both!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Another vote for maintaining the pristine, austere exterior. It does make sense in a Dorian Gray sort of way.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  It looks like the outside of the Haunted Mansion is getting repainted. Who knows what they're doing on the inside. I just nothing drastic changes like eliminating the Ghost Host Spiel "All of our ghosts have been dying...." and "Perhaps Madame Leota can establish contact..."

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    There's no need to fix what isn't broken -- especially when considering all the things that are in need of fixing at Disneyland.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                                    - Walt Disney

                                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

                                    "It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      And the effects that they've used to make even the "pristine" facade of the structure seem more "foreboding" are ingenious--like painting the ceilings of the balconies a darker shade than the walls to look more "shadowy."

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                                        And the effects that they've used to make even the "pristine" facade of the structure seem more "foreboding" are ingenious--like painting the ceilings of the balconies a darker shade than the walls to look more "shadowy."
                                        "Only the shadow knows for sure " !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X