Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back the Space Stage

The Captain Eo movie theater was built by closing in what was formerly the Space Stage and its 1100 seat auditorium. It was part of the original 1977 Space Mountain complex that also included Starcade and the Space Place restaurant, now used as part of the SM queue and seating for Pizza Planet. Now that the theater is only used for movie previews wouldn't it be better to open it back up again as a live entertainment venue?

Last edited by Disney_Dad; 02-09-2020, 02:28 PM.

I agree this would also give more of an open feel to that portion of the TL.

It may be a little tough due to the new emergency stairway being put in though.
    Last edited by Starcade; 02-11-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
      I’d be happy to see that happen
      I would too...
      But like the rest of a new TOMORROWLAND
      I think it would be a long time in coming !
      imo
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I spent many of days watching my favorite stage shows on that outside theatre. Beginning with, "The Magic of Christmas" in 1979. And then my all-time favorite stage show ever, "Show Biz Is...", which ran from 1981 through 1984 during their Spring & Summer months. I would LOVE for this venue to be brought back to it's former glory! But then again, I would love for Tomorrowland to be brought back to how it used to be. It's signature theme, "a land on the move", has been lost for nearly 25 years now!
        DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

It's a great idea. But sadly, Bob "Cheaptastic" Chapek would never spring for the live entertainment.
          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
            I spent many of days watching my favorite stage shows on that outside theatre. Beginning with, "The Magic of Christmas" in 1979. And then my all-time favorite stage show ever, "Show Biz Is...", which ran from 1981 through 1984 during their Spring & Summer months. I would LOVE for this venue to be brought back to it's former glory! But then again, I would love for Tomorrowland to be brought back to how it used to be. It's signature theme, "a land on the move", has been lost for nearly 25 years now!
            Show Biz is was playing the first time I visited Disneyland in 1981 with my parents. We all loved it. Also from an architectural point of view the whole Space Mountain complex made more sense with that central open area. The stage could be viewed from the restaurant seating area and from part of the Space Mountain queue. It was far better than the current arrangement of boxed in walkways at ground level and unused roof space above.
            Last edited by Disney_Dad; 02-09-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney_Dad View Post
              The Captain Eo movie theater was built by closing in what was formerly the Space Stage and its 1100 seat auditorium. It was part of the original 1977 Space Mountain complex that also included Starcade and the Space Place restaurant, now used as part of the SM queue and seating for Pizza Planet. Now that the theater is only used for movie previews wouldn't it be better to open it back up again as a live entertainment venue?

This would be fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post

It only took 4 responses, but we got our standardized Chapek response.
                Do you disagree with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                  Do you disagree with it?
                  No, I don't disagree that it took only 4 posts. Yes I disagree with blaming someone for something that is not planned nor even being talked about.
                  "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post

No, I don't disagree that it took only 4 posts. Yes I disagree with blaming someone for something that is not planned nor even being talked about.
                    Stating someone, based on past performance, won't pay for something isn't placing "blame." If anything, it's nothing more than an educated guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                      Stating someone, based on past performance, won't pay for something isn't placing "blame." If anything, it's nothing more than an educated guess.
                      Exactly. And not much guesswork is needed when it comes to Cheaptastic Chapek, who is notorious for slashing entertainment budgets. The notion that there's any chance he'd do otherwise is strictly from Fantasyland.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Not sure if I'd care much for another entertainment venue with the Tomorrowland Terrace so close by. I do think the theatre needs to go/be reworked, though. I took this image of a painting last time I was in the park and thought it was very beautiful, even if the area just ended up being a glorified entrance to Space Mountain, I would be happy to see it turn into something like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	320.3 KB ID:	8613008

Sorry that I don't have the title of the piece or the artist's name. But if you ever want to see it for yourself it's in the Launch Bay shop. The picture felt like a perfect mix of old and new Tomorrowland to me. At the very least.. get rid of that ugly third safety ring on top of Space Mountain! Even new artwork that comes out leaves it out for Arceus' sake.
                        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly. And not much guesswork is needed when it comes to Cheaptastic Chapek, who is notorious for slashing entertainment budgets. The notion that there's any chance he'd do otherwise is strictly from Fantasyland.
                          love to see ,
                          LIVE Entertainment venue.
                          SAD- Chapek have slash Entertainment Budgets
                          So seeing any kind of a new state of the Art ,STAGE in not in the near future !

I feel Disney Park have lost alots of Magic .
                          IMO
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Disney_Dad View Post

The larger question though, is, when will Tomorrowland get a land-wide overhaul ... which would include "What to do" with the space directly in front of Space Mountain.

I see this theater eventually biting the dust. Of all the "4D" film based attractions Disney has created in the last few decades only Philharmagic is left. There's a reason for that. Film based attractions do not have much repeat value. So, I see no indoor movie complex in TL's future.

Return back to Space Stage? Well ... for a time ... that was DL's only permanent stage facility until Videopolis showed up in 1985. Have a second one? Depends on Disney's willingness for more live entertainment. And since a certain "what's his name" canned SW:GE's live entertainment ... and no signs of leaving the Walt Disney Co. .... I have my doubts. Would I love it? Sure. It gave a "lively" ambiance to this corner of TL which is now quiet. Especially at night time. Would give people waiting in line for Space Mountain something to look at .. instead of starring at their phones!

Just some other thoughts on this pad of land .........

In the original artwork for Space Mountain ......... it shows an open area ............

And in more recent years ... was this open plaza area drawn up as well ...............

In the distant future .... it's hard to say what Disney will do. I don't see how they reuse an indoor auditorium when the proof is in, spending money on yet another "4D" attraction is wasted money .. when it becomes stale within 5 to 7 years.

I got one fear!

With Disney's obsession with I.P. and Cartoons in TL (Buzz, Nemo) and clones from other parks ... I see this as a possibility ....................

Tokyo Disneyland's future Big Hero 6 spinner.

This is taking over TDL's Captain EO/HISTA theater.
                            Well ... DL has one too ..... so what coming attraction for Tokyo easily fits into the Captain EO/HISTA theater here????
                            PLUS ... look to the right ... and you can see this attraction is not entirely indoors. I could see them gutting the north wall for what is clearly a semi indoor/outdoor facility.

If Disney did this whip-spinner (which is Maters Junkyard Jamboree) .... I'd rather they made the vehicles Flying Saucers. And still mimic them "skating" along the floor. The 1961-66 ride only ever "skated" across it's rink.

Anyway .... I'm not trying encourage Disney to keep pumping TL with more IP Toons ........... I've actually had enough! I want to see the land live up to Walt's dedication speech for the land ..... and before any of you say to yourselves ... "Good luck with that one" ... just remember .. if it was possible to create PotC in 1967 ... HM in 1969 ......... AND RotR in 2020 ........ the possibilities are endless!

I want to see this pad of TL used in a way that compliments the rest of the land.

But beware .... thar be cheapskates looking to make you think what they really do, is the ~best~ they can do ... when they can do better!

We'll see.
                            Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-12-2020, 06:09 AM.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I don't know if Space Stage will ever come back. I missed out on it. I would like Disney to run Magic Journeys in the theater for those that didn't experience it from 1984 to 1986 when it was removed to make way for Captain EO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Return back to Space Stage? Well ... for a time ... that was DL's only permanent stage facility until Videopolis showed up in 1985. Have a second one? Depends on Disney's willingness for more live entertainment. And since a certain "what's his name" canned SW:GE's live entertainment ... and no signs of leaving the Walt Disney Co. .... I have my doubts. Would I love it? Sure. It gave a "lively" ambiance to this corner of TL which is now quiet. Especially at night time. Would give people waiting in line for Space Mountain something to look at .. instead of starring at their phones!
                                Perhaps the Space Stage could become an alternative to the Fantasyland Theatre, the removal of which would free up a sizable area of land for redevelopment. It would be large enough to accommodate TDL's emerging Beauty and the Beast attraction, for example.

I agree that TL needs a comprehensive development plan, but it may be some time before we see that, so much having been invested there in the past fifteen years: Buzz, Nemo Subs, Star Tours II, monorail train redesign, SW Launch Bay, SM track rebuild etc. They'll want to see a decent return on all that money spent before they make any drastic changes. My guess would be that this will happen in the latter part of the 2020's at the earliest.

Comment

It's interesting that recent and planned development in the form of GE and the upcoming RR represent physical expansion of the park, providing a huge amount of additional capacity. Perhaps this is in anticipation of the need to close off most of TL for 3 years or so when they do eventually redevelop it. They'll need plenty of capacity and variety elsewhere in the park to make up for the temporary loss of a large part of TL.

Comment

One of the substantial trends over the years is to move away from dining places that have entertainment coupled with them. An attractive attribute of Disneyland was that you used to be able to enjoy entertainment WHILE you were having your meal at one of the dining places. Examples: Space Stage, Tomorrowland Terrace, Tiki Room, Horseshoe Inn, Carnation Corner.
                                    Now most dining places just have some seating (and probably not enough to gracefully handle peak crowds). The guests just sit with each other and chew their food. Some places facilitate people watching, such as the New Orleans Cafe and Holly Jolly Bakery but the dinner with entertainment aspect of Disneyland is sadly, extinct.

I imagine the reason is that such things are less profitable for The Disney Corporation.
                                    --
                                    http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X