Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Happy 19th Birthday DCA!

On this Day, February 8th, 2001, Disneyland gained a little sister park called Disney's California Adventure. Despite its' inital shortcomings, failures, and criticism, the park has thrived for 19 years and counting.

While the spotlight has been on Disneyland currently, with Galaxy's Edge and the Magic Happens parade, it will turn to DCA in the future; for The Avengers Campus and the rumored reports of a new daytime parade, Hollywoodland redo and the 'black box' attraction

Happy Birthday DCA!

"Thrived" is perhaps an overstatement - how about "survived," "endured," "persisted," or "abided."

Comment

Diffenately would not characterize it as thrived. I say more of something like, its lasted 19 years.

Comment

Here's a picture that puts the vast changes at DCA into perspective.
        Bountiful Valley Farm closed in 2010.
        The painting on the theater was replaced in 2012.
        Tower of Terror closed in 2017.
        And the whole land closed in 2018.
        Nothing in the picture is left in its original state.
        Attached Files

Comment

DCA in its' prime:

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
            dca in its' prime:
            🤣🤣🤣 yes!

Comment

Happy 19th anniversary California Adventure. I believe Grizzly River Run is the only remaining attraction from opening day.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                Happy 19th anniversary California Adventure. I believe Grizzly River Run is the only remaining attraction from opening day.
                There are a few more, if you discount the ''lipstick" applied (several times in some cases): California Screamin', Sun Wheel, Soarin', Swings, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, Animation Exhibit, Hyperion Theatre -- "A rose by any other name..."

Comment

imo- I just see Disney California Adventure, just billboard /amusement park !
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The only truly special ride this park has is Radiator Springs Racers, IMO. Maybe Soarin and Midway mania, too, but.... those are just screen based rides. Everything else is 2nd class.

It desperately needs a world class, imaginative dark ride, something like Mystic manor!

Comment

Seems like it's been there forever though I remember when it was a parking lot.

I agree with a lot of others, it really needs some serious imagination........

Seems like a lot of stuff I liked isn't there anymore and whatever (if anything) that replaced it isn't nearly as good.

Comment

DCA has been on life support since it's debut.
                        sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                          seems like a lot of stuff i liked isn't there anymore and whatever (if anything) that replaced it isn't nearly as good.
                          x2
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It’s heartbreaking that DCA was on the path to being a truly worthy second gate next to Disneyland and then it just.....didn’t get there. I was more excited for Phase II of the remodel of the park than I ever was for SW:GE, they were right there and then it was just questionable decision after questionable decision and it’s now all just kind of fallen flat.

If you put someone in charge of theme parks that doesn’t understand anything about theme parks then you’re going to get mediocre results. Which is exactly what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                              It’s heartbreaking that DCA was on the path to being a truly worthy second gate next to Disneyland and then it just.....didn’t get there. I was more excited for Phase II of the remodel of the park than I ever was for SW:GE, they were right there and then it was just questionable decision after questionable decision and it’s now all just kind of fallen flat.

If you put someone in charge of theme parks that doesn’t understand anything about theme parks then you’re going to get mediocre results. Which is exactly what happened.
                              SADLY -That the Truth........
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                                If you put someone in charge of theme parks that doesn’t understand anything about theme parks then you’re going to get mediocre results.
                                This^^^^^^^^^^

Even worse is when the only thing they do know is how to fleece the guests and make huge profits.......and the accompanying huge bonuses.........

Comment

The best attraction in DCA was Heimlich’s Chew-Chew...really...
                                  I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                                    The best attraction in DCA was Heimlich’s Chew-Chew...really...
                                    I liked Monsters Inc. and the Muppets. I thought both were well done from both an artistic and operational standpoint.

Plus, they were just plain fun!

Comment

Sad about all the negativity for DCA . Our family loves it. Our favorite rides are Guardians and the Incredicoaster, Cars Land and Monsters Inc are also favs. Our kid loves Grizzly Rapids, Redwood Creek, and the Animation Academy. I was there opening year and I love it so much more now; I was so disappointed back when it launched. We miss Bugs Land, it was a family fav, but we are looking forward to Marvel Land. I adore Ariel too, so I miss her restaurant but at least I still have the ride. I just don't know what to say except positive things :/

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X