Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] I'm kind of surprised "Fantasmic!" was never replaced by a Kingdom Hearts show

Might sound crazy, but with how much Disney loves to capitalize on IPs, I'm kind of surprised that Fantastic never got re-purposed into a Kingdom Hearts show, they'd barely even have to change most of the set pieces etc. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, Kingdom Hearts is a long running video game series that started in 2002 (with the latest game being released last year) that basically combines tons of Disney IPs into one narrative (that gets way too complicated for it's own good, honestly) in which a young protagonist Sora, along w/ his companions Goofy the Knight and Donald the Wizard (at the behest of King Mickey of course) are trying to save various worlds from the "heartless" Like I said, it starts to get weirdly complicated, and also features characters from the game franchise Final Fantasy, but it sold millions over the years, so I'm honestly surprised they didn't take the framework of Fantasmic and turned it into that. Maybe I'm just a video game nerd though lol
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

I love Kingdom Hearts, but it’s not large enough of an IP to dedicate an entire Disney show to. Not enough people familiar with it.

Comment

I actually used to jokingly say that Fantasmic was just the theme park version of Mickey deciding to open the Door To Darkness, just for luls and seeing what spills out.

Comment

Not to overstate the obvious, but Fantasmic as-is appeals to all Disney fans. A Kingdom Hearts-themed show would put off anyone who doesn't know what KH is, which is effectively all non-Millenials (or more specifically, everyone who wasn't a Disney fan with a PS2 in the aughts). I love Kingdom Hearts (though not so much the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio of the later installments), but I think a Sora meet & greet would be enough to scratch that itch.

That said, one of the longest lines at the Oogie Boogie Bash was the photo op with Donald and Goofy in their (borrowed from Tokyo) KH costumes, so maybe there are more Disney fans who had a PS2 in the aughts than I can appreciate.

Comment

I am a huuuge video game fanatic ((had an Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, GameBoy, Super NES, Jaguar, 3DO, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox360, Wii, Xbox One and Switch)) and have never played a Kingdom Hearts game ever. So even video game fans are not always necessarily into those games. I was born in 1978 though, and am not a millennial, either.

It's a very niche IP and definitely not popular enough to warrant a show on it's own. But, I think maybe Disney could borrow off of or use certain ideas, design aspects or bits and pieces from that franchise and incorporate them into certain parts of Fantasmic without alienating most fans or making the show only for the KH crowd.

Comment

A KH meet and greet is a great idea, but I think Fantasmic is so iconic - especially at Disneyland - that replacing it with anything is not really warranted. I'm not a millenial but I played the first KH game and I also think there should be more that focuses on the IPs that are/were famous with millenials for sure. I just don't think replacing Fantasmic is the right choice.
            "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
              I just don't think replacing Fantasmic is the right choice.
              I AGREE....at this point

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

As a Kingdom Hearts Fan, I See Similarities of Fantasmic and Kingdom Hearts Shared Some of Same Villains and Heroes.

Comment

Most people don't know KH and don't want to know it. Its a very niche market. I tried to get into it because I like Disney, but it didn't work for me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardGrimm View Post
                    Most people don't know KH and don't want to know it. Its a very niche market. I tried to get into it because I like Disney, but it didn't work for me at all.
                    As a Disney fan, the first one was great, as it appeared to create the Kingdom Hearts storyline and characters as a simple means to justify tying all the different Disney worlds and characters together into one game. That is: the heartless are bad, let's hop from one Disney world to another so we can stop them, and the final boss is the guy controlling them.

Within a couple sequels, however, the relationship flipped. The Disney worlds and characters are now just a means to further the incomprehensible storyline and endless character roster of the Kingdom Hearts mythology (which is conveyed through hours upon hours of SLOW, terribly-acted cut scenes).
                    Last edited by GreatAndoski; 02-18-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

This is something that would work very well in Japan more than here. I myself would love it. I have played them all countless times!
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

What is Kingdom Hearts? I've clearly been living under a rock because I have no idea. However, I'm not a gamer, so there you go. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatAndoski View Post

As a Disney fan, the first one was great, as it appeared to create the Kingdom Hearts storyline and characters as a simple means to justify tying all the different Disney worlds and characters together into one game. That is: the heartless are bad, let's hop from one Disney world to another so we can stop them, and the final boss is the guy controlling them.

Within a couple sequels, however, the relationship flipped. The Disney worlds and characters are now just a means to further the incomprehensible storyline and endless character roster of the Kingdom Hearts mythology (which is conveyed through hours upon hours of SLOW, terribly-acted cut scenes).
                          I second everything in this comment. I love all the games and the stories behind them. But those cut scenes became insufferable quickly in the sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by spinycactus View Post
                            What is Kingdom Hearts? I've clearly been living under a rock because I have no idea. However, I'm not a gamer, so there you go. :-)
                            A video game series developed and published by Square Enix, which is best known for the "Final Fantasy" game series (in case that rings a bell).

At a very high level, the KH games combine Disney characters and worlds, pre-existing characters from the Final Fantasy games, and original characters and worlds. The main storylines of the games are not at all Disney-related, but the bulk of the gameplay takes place within Disney movie-themed levels. It's complicated .

Comment

I like Kingdom Hearts, but please no. If it does come to Disney, I hope only as character greetings.

Comment

Disney in general is fairly reluctant to use Kingdom Hearts. They have the rights to everything (sans the Square Enix characters), it's not a legal issue at all. Only recently did Sora appear in some non-Square-Enix games (that one emoji game and Tsum-Tsum), and most KH merchandise is usually reused official art with a few exceptions, such as Funko Pops and Nendoroids.

Furthermore, we haven't seen KH stuff in the parks too often either. Only recently did the "Mickey Mouse in a black coat pin" became easily found in the parks and not a unicorn that just pops up (and that pin is referencing Kingdom Hearts II, which came out in 2005). There's been a few other pins, but only as video game preorder bonuses (Kingdom Hearts II.5, I.5+II.5 collection, Dream Drop Distance, and KH III), or as D23 exclusives (that one video game collection contains a Kingdom Hearts pin), and you are hard pressed to find most other Kingdom Hearts merchandise in or around the parks. Aside from the creepy masked Sora, the only other Kingdom Hearts characters have been Donald and Goofy, which rarely popped up (last time was last year's Halloween party in DCA, I think). I'm a bit surprised because otherwise Kingdom Hearts III was the most pushed game out of all the Kingdom Hearts games.

Comment

For those that don't know what I'm talking about
                                  This is why.

Comment

The last Disney video game I played was put out by Capcom.

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                                      This is something that would work very well in Japan more than here. I myself would love it. I have played them all countless times!
                                      Isn't their Fantasmic closing next month? It's possible the thread topic might happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                                        The last Disney video game I played was put out by Capcom.
                                        Capcom had a hell of a run of Disney games.
                                        "Have I gone mad?"
                                        "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X