Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No "One More Disney Day" 2020?

The last time there was a 24 hour party at Disneyland was the 60th anniversary kick off in 2015, which many people, myself included, was a minor disaster as the influx of guests for not only the anniversary, but a new firework show, a new world of color show, and the US premier of Paint the Night, pushed guests, and more importantly, CM's and park staff to their limit.

2016 saw no "one more Disney day" for that leap year, but I'm a bit surprised to hear nothing about this year, especially with this year falling on a series of "minor" premiers, in the form of the Magic Happens parade, and the yearly return of Food and Wine. While I don't expect any last second announcements of a 24 hour party, is there potential for any "other" surprise events? Besides the obvious "I was there" photo opportunities.

I wonder if the HK/Shanghai closures is one possible reason for no 24 hr event, as the longer they are closed, the larger the $ dent is.

That being said, they are still planning special nights like 'Pixar Night,' 'Villain's night' and 'Star Wars Night' for the year. Also, Oogie Boogie Bash is listed still on the Events page

Comment

Has it really been close to 5 years since the last 24 hr event? Time flies.

I agree, the last one was a bit of a disaster and generated a lot of negative PR. Both of which are big Disney 'no-nos'. I think TDA realized that the negatives far outweighed any perceived positives, both financially (they'd need a lot more staff to start with) and in PR.

Personally, I don't think they'll do another 'wide open' one. IF there is another 24 hr event, I think it'll be an 'upcharge event' with carefully balanced attendance/staffing numbers.

Last edited by Stormy; 02-25-2020, 06:52 AM.
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I still have very fond memories of doing the complete 24-hour day back on Feb 29 2012. We were lined up at the turnstiles at 6am, and we walked out of the park at 6am.

Comment

All I remember from that last 24hr event were all the pictures on social media of people asleep on benches and in the Main Street theater etc.

Comment

I wish they would do another one. My friend has told me so many stories from the last one and it sounds like so much fun. She did say it was extremely busy though.

Comment

I don't think they will do an in-park event. I did see, however, an ad for an "Extra Disney Day" to get an advanced viewing of the new Pixar Onward on 2/29. So I think that's how they'll spin it this year.

Comment

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue with the previous 24 hour event back in 2015 was simply there were too many people in the parks thanks to the simultaneous premier of multiple shows, and the anniversary. The parks continued to be popular, really until just the past year or so, until the opening of galaxy's edge, which has largely seen most of the high guest flow switch to WDW.

With this in mind, I absolutely understand them skipping 2016, as it was still hugely busy. But with the recent relaxed guest numbers, it seems bringing the 24 hour party back, even if it was upcharged or reservation only, would be a no brainier. I doubt it has much to do with the recent Corona scars, as others have pointed out there has been no real decrease in operations otherwise, and having a 24 hour event, similar to an after hours event, would likely only increase profits.

Comment

Originally posted by lemuth0922 View Post
                  I don't think they will do an in-park event. I did see, however, an ad for an "Extra Disney Day" to get an advanced viewing of the new Pixar Onward on 2/29. So I think that's how they'll spin it this year.
                  Where did you hear there was going to be an advanced screening of this film?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDisneyFan View Post

There are multiple advanced screenings going on on the 29th. I don't know if the one they were talking about was a special event, perhaps at the El Capitan, but a search for my local theatre shows showings in Redlands, Corona, Ontario and Rancho all at 3pm.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

There are multiple advanced screenings going on on the 29th. I don't know if the one they were talking about was a special event, perhaps at the El Capitan, but a search for my local theatre shows showings in Redlands, Corona, Ontario and Rancho all at 3pm.
                      Thanks....I thought this might be at DL, but sounds like it's just at movie theatres.

Comment

As I stated, there won't be an in-park event. The events are at movie theaters, it was an ad from the Pixar Onward FB page that I saw.

Comment

Thanks....I thought this might be at DL, but sounds like it's just at movie theatres.
                          Honestly I wish they would show a special advanced screening in TL theatre or Hollywood studios, but alas, I don't even think the projector set up there can show full length movies. (Yes I know, it sounds like that wouldn't be a problem, but I've had it made clear to me by several theatre workers that apparently theatre qualify movie files are formatted explicitly so that they only play in approved projectors. Based on how Disney has, in the past, done all their advanced screenings at the DTD AMC, I'm lead to believe the in park theatres do not have such projectors.)

Comment

Oh Yes, i remember the 24 hour party. Oh the humanity,

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

Honestly I wish they would show a special advanced screening in TL theatre or Hollywood studios, but alas, I don't even think the projector set up there can show full length movies. (Yes I know, it sounds like that wouldn't be a problem, but I've had it made clear to me by several theatre workers that apparently theatre qualify movie files are formatted explicitly so that they only play in approved projectors. Based on how Disney has, in the past, done all their advanced screenings at the DTD AMC, I'm lead to believe the in park theatres do not have such projectors.)
                              I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in the Tomorrowland Theater during the last 24 hour party. They screened several Marvel movies there that night.

Comment

They don't even make marketing as good as this anymore, and it was less than a decade ago...

Love that remix and the beautiful of the U.S. parks told in such a short amount of time. Oh, to go back to 2012...

Comment

Originally posted by order 1966 View Post

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in the Tomorrowland Theater during the last 24 hour party. They screened several Marvel movies there that night.
                                  I assume after guardians had gone to video, no? I'm sure they could always plug a Blu Ray file or mp4 in, but a "only in your local Cineplex" type movie is apparently different and doesn't work that way.

But who knows, maybe Disney can, and just doesn't want to. Maybe they decide it's not worth bringing a special projector in. I wish I could ask a CM about it, but I doubt they'd answer.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X