Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tomorrowland's Entrance Work More Than Just "Project Stardust" At This Point?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tomorrowland's Entrance Work More Than Just "Project Stardust" At This Point?

This week, I was surprised by the new work that has appeared in front of the metallic Mitsuo Natsume murals. When the shells popped up, many fans hoped it would be a return of the fountains but for the meantime they appear to be an homage of the planters that were used from the 70s to late 90s. I understood that the "french fry" rocks were being cleared and a new entrance put in its place to ease up crowd flow, but are these new decorations a sign of more retro things to come for Tomorrowland?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ERGrL0OU8AEXVay?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg
Views:	1344
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	8614035Click image for larger version

Name:	ERVMUbRVAAA_O9y?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg
Views:	1299
Size:	711.3 KB
ID:	8614036
    My roommate is my Mom, I enjoy a caffeinated beverage or two from time to time, I like watching sunrises, and my most favoritest movie of all time ever is Mary Poppins.

I agree, it's an homage. With xeriscaping and water conservation being our 'future' I can see them not installing a water feature at the TL entrance.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

WDW had basically been confirmed for some heavy work at Tomorrowland. Meanwhile, staircases and some planters look to be the extent of our future.

Comment

Looks like the 99 cent store.......
        lol
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think Disney is making the entrance to Tomorrow nice, in preparation for construction walls going up in the future. Or I can only hope.

Comment

The new entrance is lipstick on a pig.

Comment

I am glad to see the FF rocks gone and am glad to see the entrance was not completely reimagined and still pays homage to classic TL. I still hold out hope they will go the full campy neofuturism route as that styling is timeless as it's pure sci-fi fantasy and does not reflect actual real world timelines. Now if we can just get the Rockets back to where they belong that would be stellar.
              Last edited by Starcade; 02-28-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                LOL.............but nice looking lipstick
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by OptimistMover View Post
                  This week, I was surprised by the new work that has appeared in front of the metallic Mitsuo Natsume murals.
                  I'm so happy that I am not the only one who knows the genius of Mitsuo Natsume. A a Modeler myself as a hobby, I've always appreciated his detail.

http://mitsuonatsume.com/

Click image for larger version  Name:	space_mountain_model_arrow_development_b&w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.1 KB ID:	8614217

"While he was seldom, if ever, boastful of his work, Mits was particularly proud of the bench design that doubled as a raised planter bed. Note the clean, uncluttered look of the original entryway to Tomorrowland."

Obviously something lost on the current generation of WDI.

Name:	tomorrowland_entrance_1967.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	8614221
                  Last edited by stovk; 02-27-2020, 07:16 PM.
                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                  so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                  WDW Trips: '81
                  EPCOT Trips: '93
                  Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                    Obviously something lost on the current generation of WDI.

Name:	tomorrowland_entrance_1967.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	8614221
                    Looks like ""WATER FOUNTAIN's"" got lost with current generation of WDI

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	space_mountain_model_arrow_development_b&w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.1 KB ID:	8614217
                      WOW! I have never seen that concept model before. It's a very close representation of Herb's concept art. Gotta love the old school talent.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_2327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	8614240

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

LOL.............but nice looking lipstick
                        It is.

Comment

After seeing this Natsume concept this makes me now want to see the entire SM queue re routed through the TL theater allowing the Starcade area to be used for something better maybe another Restaurant that leads out on the to the TL terrace since there will not longer be a queue up there.

This would free up the Starcade/Trader/Tours building especially if they are moving ST to SW:GE or rennovating it into something else like has also have been rumored.

I know for a lot people who are older the hike up and down ramps to get to and from the ride are something they would love to see removed. I believe if they used the theater area for the queue it would package the queue in a more condensed fashion for the attraction and be a near level entrance exit.
                          Last edited by Starcade; 03-02-2020, 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                            What should they do then?
                            "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post

What should they do then?
                              What they should have done a decade ago. Remodel Tomorrow Land.

Comment

Well
                                Still glad the French fry rocks is nor longer in the front.......
                                and does look cleaner ,
                                new entrance ease up crowd flow.
                                IMO
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I have been following TL construction at WDW, and even made a thread in the forum, it appears they are partially returning back to pre-'94 TL. Maybe not all but a good amount. With the fixing up DL's TL entrance and adding the planters, and eventually the new retro additions, I think they are also partially returning to pre '98 TL.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
                                    I have been following TL construction at WDW, and even made a thread in the forum, it appears they are partially returning back to pre-'94 TL. Maybe not all but a good amount. With the fixing up DL's TL entrance and adding the planters, and eventually the new retro additions, I think they are also partially returning to pre '98 TL.
                                    I am all for this and if they were to magically figure out a way to bring back PM and ATIS I believe the hardcore fans would rejoice and forums across the web would celebrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I am all for this and if they were to magically figure out a way to bring back PM and ATIS I believe the hardcore fans would rejoice and forums across the web would celebrate.
                                      But it needs to be done using new technology.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post

But it needs to be done using new technology.
                                        Yes of course, no need to for a giant plywood snowflakes with sparkly paint.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X