Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LA Times commentary shares our skeptical view of Chapek (and quotes Micechat)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Times commentary shares our skeptical view of Chapek (and quotes Micechat)

Commentary: Bob Chapek as CEO is a vote of confidence in Disney’s parks. What does that mean for Disneyland?

This may be an understatement, but this commentary is a bit of a takedown of Chapek's strategy as it relates to the parks. It basically points out that it's Chapek betting on the public's love of Disney writ large rather than a broad-based support for the parks and their history of what has made them successful.

The problem is, we might not observe that effect until well into Chapek's tenure. If he's the man suggesting the name for the Incredicoaster (as Bob Iger confirmed), I think we know where this is headed for the parks and it's not looking good.

Here's a good embodiment of my skeptical view of Chapek's upcoming impact on the parks:

Wow, a well thought out article that cites concerns about cost-cutting without a super depressing doom and gloom attitude! And no Cheapek jokes! I can actually read this!

Comment

It has been clear to anyone who's been on the inside, clear back to Chapek's tenure at Disney Consumer Products, that he is an expert brand-marketer. As CEO he can be counted on to not change his M.O. -- he absolutely will cut Disney Parks products to the bone, raise prices to the max and aggressively synergize Disney's brands, believing that the consumers' identification with and habituation to Disney's brands will keep them spending more for a lesser product. That's why Iger and the Board put him in this role.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        It has been clear to anyone who's been on the inside, clear back to Chapek's tenure at Disney Consumer Products, that he is an expert brand-marketer. As CEO he can be counted on to not change his M.O. -- he absolutely will cut Disney Parks products to the bone, raise prices to the max and aggressively synergize Disney's brands, believing that the consumers' identification with and habituation to Disney's brands will keep them spending more for a lesser product. That's why Iger and the Board put him in this role.
        Another Words - Consumer will continue get screw
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Side note.......
          Chapek worked for H.J. Heinz Company
          in brand management...you know Up side Down ketchup bottle.......
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyC0X1z4J0U

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
              That is one......My self , I like the
              Up side Down ketchup bottle and same goes up side down ranch dressing ,
              I find them more easily to use .......
              But to the
              Consumer,they cost more.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Nice work, LA Times: Another flaccid piece of pseudo-journalism about The Mouse. No mention that Chapek slashed the Star Wars Land budget to the bone, eviscerating much of WDI's original designs that had been greenlit by his predecessor. No mention that Chapek cut out significant portions of Star Wars Land that had been promised to Disney fans at the 2015 D23. No mention of the real reason why Chapek substituted low-paid CMs for union actors. No investigative reporting on the RotR Boarding Pass debacle. And of course, no mention that Chapek is detested by huge numbers of DLR employees and frontline managers. Yep, nice work: An article that panders to fans by sprinkling in token criticism of Disney management, while simultaneously pandering to the same management by omitting the hard truth. Either you guys are clueless to what is going on at TDA, or (more likely) you're too timid to report it.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Nice work, LA Times: Another flaccid piece of pseudo-journalism about The Mouse. No mention that Chapek slashed the Star Wars Land budget to the bone, eviscerating much of WDI's original designs that had been greenlit by his predecessor. No mention that Chapek cut out significant portions of Star Wars Land that had been promised to Disney fans at the 2015 D23. No mention of the real reason why Chapek substituted low-paid CMs for union actors. No investigative reporting on the RotR Boarding Pass debacle. And of course, no mention that Chapek is detested by huge numbers of DLR employees and frontline managers. Yep, nice work: An article that panders to fans by sprinkling in token criticism of Disney management, while simultaneously pandering to the same management by omitting the hard truth. Either you guys are clueless to what is going on at TDA, or (more likely) you're too timid to report it.
                  The LAT does not want to be dropped from the next Cocktail party.
                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                  so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                  WDW Trips: '81
                  EPCOT Trips: '93
                  Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                    The LAT does not want to be dropped from the next Cocktail party.
                    What? Are you seriously suggesting that the Los Angeles Times, a major metropolitan newspaper that was founded in 1881, would be afraid of Disney banning them from...

...oh, wait...

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

What? Are you seriously suggesting that the Los Angeles Times, a major metropolitan newspaper that was founded in 1881, would be afraid of Disney banning them from...

...oh, wait...
                      right
                      O WAIT..........?Geeeeee
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

...oh, wait...
                        the LA times, accused of not giving any coverage to all but one candidate for three mayoral races responded saying
                        "in our opinion there was no other viable candidate"

the LA times does not do "news"

it walks on a leash and does propaganda

so, the duct tape on the crumbling attraction parts will continue?
                        no paper towels in rest rooms, over flowing trash bins

the mickey sipper cup/2 hours for any food line snafu?
                        and the rude response of the cm who read my, "is Disneyland interested in what is was like for guests that am?"

Comment

Originally posted by GwenRowan View Post

the LA times, accused of not giving any coverage to candidates for three mayoral races responded saying

I agree........it is propaganda now.....than News
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Further up someone said that article was readable. Really? Funny Todd mentioned the phrase “corporate speak”. I found a good chunk of it to sound like Corporate Speak. As if someone at Disney helped him to write it up. Sorry. Just my honest reaction after reading it. Here in Australia we have a phrase - Don’t piss in my pocket, mate. There’s a degree of it in favor of Disney. While acknowledging (as Wiggins says) a sprinkling of what us fans are very much concerned about. Dear Todd .... if no one is really going to speak up, then tell me - are you going to be happy with an increased philistinian attitude corporate will take with the parks? And watch quality further erode? The proof is there. All the projects under Cheapek (and YES, I will continue to call him that for anyone who’s got a problem with that! Because the FACT is, he IS ... well - CHEAP! Is it a coincidence his last name fits the moniker?!) .... back to what I was saying.... all projects under him of the last few years all show signs of “cheapness”. I am so afraid for Tomorrowland’s future. I don’t want to know the lackluster, CHEAP plans they got for that. I’ve waited 30 years for a proper redo. Never did I thought things would get worse by appointing a philistine in 2020! I thought the last round with Eisner and Pressler was going to be it, and the company learn from their mistakes... and here we are again. Disney history repeating itself!

Sick of it.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Is it just me or does Chapek look a lot like Hank from Breaking Bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                I thought the last round with Eisner and Pressler was going to be it, and the company learn from their mistakes... and here we are again. Disney history repeating itself!
                                which is saying Disney never learn from their mistakes...
                                I find that True as well !
                                And as for the
                                Los Angeles Times,is good for wrapping up old things!
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

the LA times, accused of not giving any coverage to all but one candidate for three mayoral races responded saying

Of course they don't do news. There are no reporters who work for the LA Times. It's a propaganda rag.

If you're looking for journalism, the LA Times is the wrong place to look.

Comment

so, the duct tape on the crumbling attraction parts will continue?
                                    no paper towels in rest rooms, over flowing trash bins

the mickey sipper cup/2 hours for any food line snafu?
                                    and the rude response of the cm who read my, "is Disneyland interested in what is was like for guests that am?"
                                    And you will keep going to the parks!
                                    --
                                    http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

They really did seem to characterize Cheapek quite well.

Comment

What does History say about cost cutting specifically in regards to safety, maintenance and security? Beware of increase in attraction mishaps, increases in guest injuries, possible deaths in the parks...

Hope wiser heads are about headquarters and not too many yes-men...or am I dreaming?
                                        I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X