Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd row Seating/standing at Oga's Catina?? What is Disney thinking?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd row Seating/standing at Oga's Catina?? What is Disney thinking?

Update: Disney called regarding a e-mail I sent about my experience. I love that they did this. The cm's I spoke with said she did not agree this is a good policy. She will bring it up with managers, for review. She also encouraged anyone/everyone to e-mail Disney about any situation they experience good or bad. She did confirm this is a new policy but not a good policy. So please e-mail Disney!! Be constructive, please. I hope this will cause a change.
    Update2: Tuesday at Oga's, Cm's where informing guest that they will be 2nd row, before leading them into Oga's. Yet, they did not inform be as a single guest..

Last week at Oga's. My party of two was led in for our reservation. We were told our position was 2nd row behind the people standing at the bar. We were between the people at the standing table and the people standing at the bar. We were told we should look for someone leaving the bar and then move forward. the cm's continued to stack 2nd row guests to our left and right about 4 places away. I was stunned. With no place to set our drink or snacks. With inches between the people on both sides. We had a reservation made weeks before, for my sister visit. I'm a Sig. Plus AP. I have been to Oga"s dozens of time. Always at the bar or a table. What is Disney thinking? Has this happened to you? After about 20 angry mins. my sister zoomed a place at the bar for us. With a 45mins time limit. We only had 1 drink each. If we had a real place, we would have had 2 and snacks. I don't know if I will ever go back to Oga's again. Yesterday I sent a e-mail to Disney with my complaint. I the past they have responded with e-mail or phone calls, so I will see. I have 40 years in the restaurant business. I have never seen anything like this.
    I'm a huge Star Wars and GE fan. I have over 130 Flights on the Falcon. Earned $700,000 gc from Hondo. Finished 98% of the Disney Play Data pad in GE. Earned the rank of colonel in the Resistance.
    I am a easy to please Disney fan. This experience has left me stunned for days. Any cm's with input. I would love to hear from.
    Last edited by Apviewdisney; 03-11-2020, 10:46 AM.

This has happened to me as well. A spot opened up pretty quickly so I never had to try to order behind people. Perhaps they were expecting a party in front of you to leave because they had all been there for a while? It's a very unfortunate experience you had without anywhere for your snacks. I'm interested in the response you may receive.

Comment

Is the 45 minute limit really enforced? I have been twice and it seemed we could stay as long as we wanted (although an hour or so is more than enough.)

Comment

Originally posted by order 1966 View Post
        Is the 45 minute limit really enforced?
        Not really...they take passive aggressive stance and just stack new guests around those that are supposed to be timed out. Happened to us with a bigger group and they packed us at a standing table that we had to make uncomfortable for everyone until they goy the hint. CM even told us their time was up but did not say anything to the guests.

Comment

This same thing happened to us on Friday. I don't get it. We got served, but the people behind us (once we scooted forward) were standing behind us for quite some time. My husband scooched over and I slid in behind him so the poor people could try to get served. After another 10 minutes of trying to catch the eye of a bartender, they gave up and left. They seemed short-staffed. It feels like there's some tweaking left to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Apviewdisney View Post
            What is Disney thinking?
            Disney is thinking the way Bob Chapek wants them to think: profits first, customers second.

Originally posted by GusGus View Post
            They seemed short-staffed.
            Again, profits first, customers second: If they added staff to make the experience less frustrating for the customers, it would eat into the profits. That's why there are virtually no attendants at the parking structure, fewer ride vehicles in service, and a lower level of janitorial service in restrooms.

Disney management knows from long experience that no matter how frustrating the experience, the customers will be back. They might complain at City Hall, or gripe about it on social media, but they won't stop coming.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Disney is thinking the way Bob Chapek wants them to think: profits first, customers second.

Again, profits first, customers second: If they added staff to make the experience less frustrating for the customers, it would eat into the profits. That's why there are virtually no attendants at the parking structure, fewer ride vehicles in service, and a lower level of janitorial service in restrooms.

Disney management knows from long experience that no matter how frustrating the experience, the customers will be back. They might complain at City Hall, or gripe about it on social media, but they won't stop coming.
              Right....long the customers keep coming back
              They going to get the same frustrating experience.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The cantina has definitely been diluted and really has a lame atmosphere now. Sardine can atmosphere just to maximize profits.
                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                My company had a special night at the park
                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                  The cantina has definitely been diluted and really has a lame atmosphere now. Sardine can atmosphere just to maximize profits.
                  I'm surprised that people are now noticing this, I had the same experience happen to me when my family and I first went in July 2017, about a month after it opened. I was definitely disappointed but luckily we had room after 5-10 minutes. I think it will always be the norm until hopefully years down the road when it's not constantly busy, if that ever happens.

Comment

We've never done the Cantina after over a dozen visits to SW:GE it just seems like another experience that does not justify the hoop jumping and expense to us. If an experience cannot be had without a convoluted BP, a line longer than 45 min. or some overpriced purchase then my family always seems to be more than happy skipping it. My girls love Peter Pan but seldom do they love it enough to wait inline 45 min. and because of this we rarely go on it. The only rides they are willing to wait a significant time to ride is Thunder or Space Mtn. they are willing to tough it out if we do not secure a FP for those but only those.
                    Last edited by Starcade; 03-02-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                      We've never done the Cantina after over a dozen visits to SW:GE it just seems like another experience that does not justify the hoop jumping and expense to us. If an experience cannot be had without a convoluted BP, a line longer than 45 min. or some over priced purchase then my family always seems to be more then happy skipping it. My girls love Peter Pan but seldom do they love enough to wait inline 45 min. tand because of this we rarely go on it. The only rides they are willing to wait a significant time to ride is Thunder or Space Mtn. they are willing to tough it out if we do not secure a FP for those but only those.

I also try to just steer away from experiences that are frustrating. Along those lines, last time we had a reservation to dine at Carthay Circle, we arrived 20 minutes early to relax and have a pre-dinner cocktail. The door "bouncer" told us we had to get in the really long separate line for the lounge. We were frustrated and a bit angry, knowing how expensive the upcoming meal would be. We walked away and then came back in 10 minutes and were immediately allowed inside the restaurant.
                      Just a weird experience that probably had more to do with a poorly trained CM than anything, but still, we haven't been back. Nobody wants bummer experiences at DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                        We've never done the Cantina after over a dozen visits to SW:GE it just seems like another experience that does not justify the hoop jumping and expense to us. If an experience cannot be had without a convoluted BP, a line longer than 45 min. or some overpriced purchase then my family always seems to be more than happy skipping it. My girls love Peter Pan but seldom do they love it enough to wait inline 45 min. and because of this we rarely go on it. The only rides they are willing to wait a significant time to ride is Thunder or Space Mtn. they are willing to tough it out if we do not secure a FP for those but only those.
                        Very smart advice, and you aren't missing anything! Honestly Cantina was a bit disappointing, they have been packing guests in and you literally just stand in one spot, drink or small snack and leave.
                        Last edited by CM08; 03-03-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I was also disappointed they did not use dry ice in the Carbon Freeze drink. What is the point of the "frog" eggs. If there is no dry ice to bubble the eggs? Disney Chapek'in everything.

Comment

Was the cantina always planned out to be this size? Or was it originally planned to be much larger? I wonder if there’s any room to expand it.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

While I enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks at the Cantina, due to the fact that I could not sit, I was not comfortable nor did I feel particularly welcome being forced to stand at the high-top table we were placed at. I would look forward to going back if they added stools, but without the stools, I do not plan on visiting the Cantina again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                Was the cantina always planned out to be this size? Or was it originally planned to be much larger? I wonder if there’s any room to expand it.
                                The other night my husband and I were sitting next to some off-duty cast members at Hearthstone Lounge who had had one Long Island too many. One of them was saying there is a theater attached to the Cantina and that the original plan was that the Cantina was meant to welcome guests into the theater with a pre-show beverage. I don't know if that's factual or if it was the Long Islands talking.

Comment

This happened to me multiple times. If you would like to wait longer for a table, ask a CM. I didn’t bother the last time, but it worked the first time.

From what I can observe, the laissez-faire attitude toward 45 minute/2 drink max isn’t the problem: most guests leave on their own either way. The problem is Disney is intentionally overbooking the reservations. That rushed feeling actually helps keep the policy without CM interference and thus you get a larger amount of people and money moving thorough the cantina. It’s not great for the guest, but it’s financially beneficially for Disney. I don’t approve of it (can you imagine waiting for your table at Carthay by awkwardly standing behind the current guests seated at the table?). However, so far it looks to be rewarding for Disney and sadly I don’t think it will change.
                                  APs
                                  Burning Cabin
                                  Splash Mountain
                                  Star Wars
                                  Fantasy Faire
                                  Smoking
                                  Pirates
                                  Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Originally posted by GusGus View Post
                                    The other night my husband and I were sitting next to some off-duty cast members at Hearthstone Lounge who had had one Long Island too many. One of them was saying there is a theater attached to the Cantina and that the original plan was that the Cantina was meant to welcome guests into the theater with a pre-show beverage. I don't know if that's factual or if it was the Long Islands talking.
                                    It's factual. The dinner theater was to be a highlight of Star Wars Land. It was greenlit when Tom Staggs, then head of Disney Parks, approved the budget. It was cut by his successor, Bob Chapek, who also slashed many of the other features of the land which had been promised to the public at the 2015 D23.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

I noticed that on my second visit last month as well. We got lucky and were able to scoot up to the bar-top after about 5 minutes. But not even before we ordered our first drink the placed someone behind us again. It was a little awkward to have people standing behind you as waiting, especially if you just got there. The couple behind us couldn't find a spot for a good ten minutes too. They didn't do this when I visited in August.

They tried to bring us ( a party of two) to a crowded table before the bar-top and I'm assuming she thought the tiny corner of the table was empty until the people at the table told her that the seats were taken. So she just dropped us off at the bar, though I didn't complain I absolutely wanted the bar so it worked out. Just seemed pretty... unprofessional.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X