Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week in Disneyland Solo

Hi all!

This is my very first post, so please excuse any slips of etiquette. This September is going to be the inaugural year of a new tradition I am planning this decade to visit Disneyland for a full week totally solo. I'm excited but also a little nervous as I've never really hung out alone in a theme park (much less for five days straight). Whereas, I think riding Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Radiator Springs Racers, etc. alone is totally cool, I guess I'm a bit self-conscious about hanging out in a caterpillar/mine cart alone in Fantasyland, although I'm definitely looking forward to relaxing with wine in DCA and seeing shows I usually skip over.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for taking on Disneyland alone for an extended period of time without their significant other?

Thanks!
    Terry

I usually visit with my daughter and a few of her friends and after the first few rides, they will 'ditch Dad' and I'll be alone the rest of the day.

Don't worry about being solo on rides, my favorite ones are in fantasyland and I've ridden solo many times, never a problem.

One really nice thing is you can go wherever you want whenever you want. If you want to ride something over and over, you can.

Comment

I have done 4 days before. Because I love taking pictures I brought my DSLR and really took my time taking pictures. Because I like to write as well I kept a journal and spent some time on benches writing out things in it about my days there. Sigle rider lines are a must and save you tons of time. I broke up my days into different lands so i really took in the parks slowly during those times.
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

I think it will be fine. I see a lot of people who appear to be on a solo trip. We were inline with a dude who was at the park solo for 4 days from Australia a month ago when we visited he had also been to DW and Tokyo Disney in prior years he would go to a different park every year it seems always by himself and was having a blast.
        Last edited by Starcade; 03-02-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

There's nothing better than riding a Caterpillar all by yourself!

Relax. Have a ball. Do whatever you want. Linger where you want. Don't rush around. Examine all the artful and historic details. Sleep in. For a Disney enthusiast, it's perhaps the best way to visit!

In Disneyland the now doesn't matter, so ditch those limiting preconceptions society has burdened you with. Leave the cell phone behind and let your inner child loose. That's why Walt made it.

Comment

Thanks for those responses! That makes me feel a lot better!!

Comment

I've gone solo many times. There's lots to do. The bonus is that no one is there to dispute your choices. People are friendly, and don't be afraid to chat with other guests. You can also eat when you want, and what you want. Be sure to rest once in a while throughout your day. Don't be afraid to ask others to help you get some photos, unless you are good at "selfies". Sometimes I would be attempting those, and someone would see me, and offer their assistance. You might be surprised just how helpful other guests can be. Have a wonderful time. I envy you. I wish Disneyland was in my budget now.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

An introvert's dream come true! I can't say that I've done a trip completely solo, but I've done the park by myself for several hours solo several times. You set the schedule, and you're only limited by how fast or slowly you walk. The only complaint I can think of is that cast members don't really want to give you a row to yourself on Pirates.

Comment

I take many trips solo !
                  I see more area's.......and ,do what you really want .........
                  and same token good way meet new friends .
                  Just take you time and enjoy as well just have FUN !
                  At Disney Parks do use the Single Rider ,when you can .
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Eagleman is right, going solo is a freeing thing. Do what you want to do, as often as you want. Move at your own comfortable pace. Eat what you are hungry for, rather than settle for something another in your group may prefer. Take your time capturing the moments you deem worthy. With four days to yourself, you will have plenty of time to experience the things you know you enjoy, as well as more time to discover things you may not have been aware of.

Also, with as busy as the park is, the only person who will know you are there alone is you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McDuck View Post
                      Eagleman is right, going solo is a freeing thing. Do what you want to do, as often as you want. Move at your own comfortable pace. Eat what you are hungry for, rather than settle for something another in your group may prefer. Take your time capturing the moments you deem worthy. With four days to yourself, you will have plenty of time to experience the things you know you enjoy, as well as more time to discover things you may not have been aware of.

Also, with as busy as the park is, the only person who will know you are there alone is you.
                      Thank You for your comments.......
                      I'M single......so I learn to do things on my own
                      When I took a trip back east to Washington D.C. , which like candy to one into history.
                      I got to see lot more place's for, I knew what ,I wanted to do.........
                      and did not get into dispute with others in choices
                      and got to know the local who knew were to eat......cheap and more easy.

One suggestion I would make......
                      When going on a trip or vacation
                      always study the area you going , long before you get there ,it help's

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I often stop for some hours when picking up supplies in OC

I find I get a bit bored standing in line by myself.. but, I'm a chat-er... ok, I talk too much....

but I see plenty of people on their own
                        and I've had people start conversations and a few times paired up with a few who were on their own for a while
                        (innocent seeming older woman, not sure if that makes a difference ;-) )

I see people reading books, playing with their phones... but with Disney in common, we always have a common topic

I've only a few times had people act as if they thought I might be too weird for being along

an adult couple I was sent to sit with on Pirates, slid together and eyed me as if I might attack...
                        really... not even a full moon

but i spent some hours with a group of retired teachers from the midwest "now, how does this work?" (Astroblasters...)
                        they were a blast...

nice thing about going by yourself, I'm sure you have figured this out

you can go on an attraction several times if you want

I don't have a single friend who will do Star Tours three times in a row...
                        and I'd rather not spend a lot on food...
                        a hot dog
                        a corn dog
                        corn on a stick...
                        (not on the same day)

my health nut friends would just die if they saw how I eat at Disneyland
                        no food shaming when you are on your own...

ice cream...

and you can walk around framing the perfect pic... no friend saying "oh come one... "

Comment

Lots of reading before you go, is good advice. It prepares you big time. Cuts down on the surprises. You might even want to make a list. It's easier to do those first when you are by yourself. However, don't be afraid to try new things. You'll have plenty of material to talk about when you return home after the vacation. The more time you do this, you soon learn your limitations. The things that are not your "Cup of Tea". The things you are surprised you enjoy. Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

I concur with what has been said above. I, too, was a bit self-conscious about riding Alice solo, but it gave me a chance to just be free for a day. I got to explore Tom Sawyer Island like I was a kid again and really sit and enjoy Lincoln without worrying about companions who really don’t care to. It was the shortest best day ever. Enjoy your time and screw what others think of you while you’re there!

Comment

For those who were wary of riding Alice alone - What criticism are most fearful of?

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                                For those who were wary of riding Alice alone - What criticism are most fearful of?
                                In all honesty, and I know it sounds really stupid, but it's sort like that teenage fear of sitting by yourself in the crowded cafeteria. Oddly enough, I have no issues of eating by myself or sitting alone at a bar. I suppose I'm used to having my husband sitting in the row behind me on Alice on Wonderland and was worried I feel silly sitting there alone.

All of these posts have been really helpful. I love Disney, and I am looking forward to doing this solo while my partner is backpacking in Denali. I'm hoping to make it a yearly tradition. God knows he'll be happy not to ride Space Mountain 5 times in a row with me.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                                  I just remember standing in line, a 30-something guy, surrounded by parents and kids, thinking about how odd it must look to get on by myself. It’s just one of those self-conscious things, looking like a creeper or something irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastersarge View Post

I just remember standing in line, a 30-something guy, surrounded by parents and kids, thinking about how odd it must look to get on by myself. It’s just one of those self-conscious things, looking like a creeper or something irrational.
                                    Yeah, that goes through my head, too. The rational part of my brain knows no one is paying any attention to me, but I can’t stop the other part of my brain from going there.

Comment

My advice is enjoy and have the time of your life! I did a week by myself in Walt Disney World in Florida years ago. It was one of the best trips I ever had. Take everything at your own pace, do what you want, when you want. Have a blast!

as an aside, I’m already planning my retirement trip (still over 9 years to go). Two weeks in Walt Disney World, one of them by myself. Traveling to Disney solo is the best.
                                      Last edited by sbk1234; 03-03-2020, 02:34 PM.
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryFerrell82 View Post

Yeah, that goes through my head, too. The rational part of my brain knows no one is paying any attention to me, but I can’t stop the other part of my brain from going there.
                                        In the end, no one said anything, I got over thinking about what I look like. And wound up having fun.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X