Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expo West Cancelled...

The annual city wide Natural Product Expo (Expo West) in Anaheim has been completely cancelled, due to the Coronavirus scare. This will affect all city wide hotels (including mine), with a major loss in revenue. This will also impact Disney, because many of the patrons who attend this event would go to the Parks, as well.

It makes me wonder if Disneyland will follow in the steps of their "sister parks" and shut down (temporarily) until this Coronavirus is under control?

Any thoughts?
    DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Today's LA Times is reporting "Conference organizers say the event is postponed and that next month, they will announce a new date."

There will be “significant impact” on the conference industry this year due to coronavirus, said Nick Vyas, executive director of the center for global supply chain management at USC Marshall School of Business. “It’ll disrupt the ecosystem supported by the trade shows and conferences.”

So far, these are some of the events that have been canceled, postponed or turned into online-only events.

Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, Feb. 24-27
    Trans-Pacific Merchants, Long Beach, March 1-4
    American Physical Society meeting, Denver, March 2-6
    Natural Products Expo West, Anaheim, March 3-7 (Conference organizers say the event is postponed and that next month, they will announce a new date.)
    Geneva International Motor Show, Geneva, Switzerland, March 5-15
    Facebook Global Marketing Summit, San Francisco, March 9-12
    CERAWeek, Houston, March 9-13
    Game Developers Conference, San Francisco, March 16-20 (Conference organizers say the event is postponed until summer.)
    Livre Paris book fair, Paris, March 20-23
    Nvidia GPU Technology Conference, San Jose, March 22-26 (The conference will now be an online event.)
    Bologna Children’s Book Fair, Bologna, Italy, March 30-April 2 (rescheduled for May 4-7)
    Google Cloud Next ’20, San Francisco, April 6-8 (The conference will now be an online event.)
    Facebook F8 conference, San Jose, May 5-6

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
      Today's LA Times is reporting "Conference organizers say the event is postponed and that next month, they will announce a new date."

WOW...thanks for sharing this. I had no idea of the magnitude this virus is causing. Pretty scary, really!
      DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

It is something to ponder, major conventions and concerts are being cancelled in high volumes and Disneyland is basically a huge convention and concert everyday so it does make one think how long before they will be pressured to follow suit. Then there is the question of loss of revenue and also loss of days on peoples AP's. If Disney does not pro rate or extend peoples AP periods it could lead to a class action lawsuit regardless of the legal written in the contract as contracts in the state of CA are worthless if you can gather the right legal team.

Comment

If it’s still open in April, Disneyland will be a risky place to visit.

At that point, you’l have a lot more to worry about than your AP.

Comment

Convention was canceled because so many exhibitors backed out and/or are issuing non essential travel bans/recommendations for employees...not because of a health risk of gathering at the convention center.

Most all of the event cancelations so far are travel related...not because of the gathering of the people.

Comment

Be nice if they would publish that information as well. The news has a bad habit of only posting to worst part of a story. No wonder people start to panic.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronInCal View Post
                Be nice if they would publish that information as well. The news has a bad habit of only posting to worst part of a story. No wonder people start to panic.
                Panic sells clicks better.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPilot View Post

Panic sells clicks better.
                  Sadly, indeed it does.......

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                    It is something to ponder, major conventions and concerts are being cancelled in high volumes and Disneyland is basically a huge convention and concert everyday so it does make one think how long before they will be pressured to follow suit. Then there is the question of loss of revenue and also loss of days on peoples AP's. If Disney does not pro rate or extend peoples AP periods it could lead to a class action lawsuit regardless of the legal written in the contract as contracts in the state of CA are worthless if you can gather the right legal team.
                    Already thinking about lawsuits for a theoretical closure of the parks and then a theoretical response by Disney. What’s wrong with America right there.

Comment

When it comes to closing parks, the ownership and governments of Disney's oriental parks are very different from those of its domestic parks. My hunch is that DLR and WDW won't close unless there's a combination of external factors, including school closures and very bad disease statistics in the U.S. If they do close, I'd be surprised if Iger didn't make certain that the Company bent over backwards to pro rate and extend all ticket media -- if for no other reason than he, unlike Chapek, is sensitive to how appearance and perception can work in Disney's favor with the public and Wall Street.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Rammikin View Post
                        If it’s still open in April, Disneyland will be a risky place to visit.

At that point, you’l have a lot more to worry about than your AP.
                        I would argue the opposite. If we’re at a point where Disneyland has to closed in a month that means there would be so much more to be worried about than a theme park being closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post

Already thinking about lawsuits for a theoretical closure of the parks and then a theoretical response by Disney. What’s wrong with America right there.
                          If you've ever run a business or corporation these are things you have to plan for, only a fool would ignore all incoming possible issues that this could bring about. Nothing wrong with planning for all scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronInCal View Post
                            People are panicking because we don't have accurate data about who has the disease. As the US is not testing in cities where cases have become known, and the incubation period is long, there could be many carriers walking around infecting people.
                            "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

One thing is clear, community spread has started in the US, and in diverse locations. With no immunity in the population, you can do the math and see this will be widespread shortly. Today the CDC issued a statement encouraging communities to put social distancing measures in place. This amounts to cancelling large public gatherings. Gatherings don't get much more public or large than Disneyland, so I can't see it remaining open much longer.

Meantime, Micechat posts a feature article that is truly bizarre. It proceeds to downplay the danger of COVID-19, then about 2/3 of the way down turns into an advertisement for a "partner" to sell travel insurance, from which Micechat presumably gets a cut, which makes you wonder about the reason for the tone of the first part of the article.

To beat this, we're going to have to pull together. That means doing things, like social distancing, not because you should be scared of getting sick, but because it will help prevent spread of the virus to others in your community.

Comment

One thing is clear, community spread has started in the US, and in diverse locations. With no immunity in the population, you can do the math and see this will be widespread shortly. Today the CDC issued a statement encouraging communities to put social distancing measures in place. This amounts to cancelling large public gatherings. Gatherings don't get much more public or large than Disneyland, so I can't see it remaining open much longer.

Meantime, Micechat posts a feature article that is truly bizarre. It proceeds to downplay the danger of COVID-19, then about 2/3 of the way down turns into an advertisement for a "partner" to sell travel insurance, from which Micechat presumably gets a cut, which makes you wonder about the reason for the tone of the first part of the article.

To beat this, we're going to have to pull together. That means doing things, like social distancing, not because you should be scared of getting sick, but because it will help prevent spread of the virus to others in your community.
                                Well said. MiceChat's article sounds like it was edited by the Disney PR department. Its title is "Coronavirus Concerns: Is it Safe to Visit Disneyland?" but the article reads more like a promotion for visiting Disneyland. Given that MiceChat and its business partners (not to mention Disney itself) rely on DLR attendance not tanking, it's no surprise that the overall tone of the article is pro-visitation.

What's surprising is how strongly it flies in the face of the latest reporting on COVID-19.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-04-2020, 02:25 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

A thousand times yes. Preventing the spread of this disease is the best thing we can do right now.
                                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

If they want to start social distancing then all the theme parks have to close.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                      If they want to start social distancing then all the theme parks have to close.
                                      In areas like Southern California, where there is community spread, yes, of course.

Comment

It’s mostly risky for elderly people and those with compromised immune systems, Asthma, etc. Pretty much everyone that is strongly urged to take the flu shot is kind of at risk (I don’t have a spleen so I am at risk). I‘m not super worried, but I am not going on a plane or to a theme park anytime soon.

I say treat it like a hurricane. I mean people in Florida still board up their windows even if its not 100% certain the hurricane is hitting land... Wash your hands, avoid big crowds, until they get a vaccine. I am still going to work and to the store, etc. I would probably go on a trip if I was healthy and had already booked it. Right now I have a common cold so I feel a bit under protected. Plus the whole no spleen thing (important for fighting bad infection).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X