Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rammikin View Post

In areas like Southern California, where there is community spread, yes, of course.
    There is likely community spread everywhere. There is just no testing available to show it.

Comment

I`m curious to see how this affects Spring Break and the upcoming Dapper Day convention the week after Easter

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

There is likely community spread everywhere. There is just no testing available to show it.
        Part of me thinks this. But logically, if there were community spread everywhere, there would be more clusters occurring in places like rest homes, being brought in from the outside community. We haven't seen that yet. So I think we still need to work hard to contain spread.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post

Part of me thinks this. But logically, if there were community spread everywhere, there would be more clusters occurring in places like rest homes, being brought in from the outside community. We haven't seen that yet. So I think we still need to work hard to contain spread.
          The only way people can do that is eliminate interaction with others. That means don't go to school, Disneyland, airports, shopping malls, grocery stores, sporting events, DMV, work, movie theaters, hospitals, etc. But if people take those measures to contain the spread of the virus, which would very likely work, our consumer driven economy will collapse.

Quite the pickle we are in. Thanks China

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
            The only way people can do that is eliminate interaction with others. That means don't go to school, Disneyland, airports, shopping malls, grocery stores, sporting events, DMV, work, movie theaters, hospitals, etc. But if people take those measures to contain the spread of the virus, which would very likely work, our consumer driven economy will collapse.
            Not necessarily. All it would take is a concerted effort for a few weeks to avoid large public gatherings. That would probably be enough to contain the virus. The problem is selfish people who won't pitch in and help out because they want to show they are not afraid of the virus.

Comment

Not necessarily. All it would take is a concerted effort for a few weeks to avoid large public gatherings. That would probably be enough to contain the virus. The problem is selfish people who won't pitch in and help out because they want to show they are not afraid of the virus.
              Would be nice if it was that easy, but a large percentage of us can't just freely take a few weeks off and lock inside house. I'm far from being "selfish", but I do agree people shouldn't take international trips and cruises.

Comment

Originally posted by CM08 View Post

Would be nice if it was that easy, but a large percentage of us can't just freely take a few weeks off and lock inside house. I'm far from being "selfish", but I do agree people shouldn't take international trips and cruises.
                You're right. The point is to do whatever you can to avoid spreading the disease. Going to the Lakers game or Disneyland in the next few weeks will just make things worse, no matter how much you wash your hands.
                Last edited by Rammikin; 03-05-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CM08 View Post

Yeah. People just need to do whatever they can. It's easier for some than others. Every little bit helps, though, to take pressure off of health care providers. They are in the toughest spot.

Comment

Not necessarily. All it would take is a concerted effort for a few weeks to avoid large public gatherings. That would probably be enough to contain the virus.
                    And our economy would collapse in a few weeks. Most people can't live three days as a shut in. And in major metropolitan areas like OC, LA and SD, there would be looters and all sorts of people out taking advantage of everyone like during the LA riots, but on a much, much bigger scale. We don't live in a co-op society. Our way of living is based on the individual and individuals panic and freak out. Its becomes every man for him/herself real quick and it ain't pretty.

Comment

Got some really good intel tonight from managers at the park. Big team meetings for managers this afternoon. The freak out in TDA is real. Remember last June when they opened SW:GE and no one showed up and they freaked out? This time the freak out is even worse.

The cancellation of the Natural Foods Expo was a shock to TDA and rippled thru the blue building like an earthquake. It got real when that happened. The last two days park attendance has collapsed from projections by 10's of thousands. TDA is watching attendance real close this weekend - so far its looking bad and hotel cancellations are piling up for later this month.

Labor cutbacks were already put in place a couple weeks ago after the closure of China parks, then Tokyo, and those have already shown up on schedules. TDA is considering scaling back park operating hours because they go to an 08:00 to 24:00 daily operation for six weeks starting tomorrow 3/6. But now TDA is considering cutting back on hours but aren't sure how to do that 4 weeks out since they've never dealt with anything like this.

DLR management says its not helping that Rebecca is clueless when it comes to park operations and Cheapek is now running the entire company with no replacement for him as Parks Chairman in sight. The clear lack of skilled and tenured senior leadership for the parks is not helping the panic in TDA and Old Admin Bldg. management ranks. If Jon Storbeck was still here as a VP or as Resort President it would be different - no one really has any trust that Rebecca knows anything about anything yet. But snooty Michael Colglazier fired Jon Storbeck several years ago because Colglazier thought Storbeck was too old fashioned and stuck in his Walt ways. Plus Colglazier loves to remind everyone how he went to Stanford and Colglazier was shocked that Storbeck only went to Cal State Long Beach and got up to the VP level before Colglazier booted him. Now Colglazier's parks are all closed, Storbeck works for Cedar Fair, and there's very few execs left in Anaheim who know what to do. It's bad.

No word yet on whether or not Disneyland will have to close - but when Governor Newsom declared he wasn't letting the Grand Princess cruise ship dock in a California port that also made TDA worry. Would Sacramento decree that all theme parks in California have to close? TDA is in uncharted waters and Sacramento is not helping.

Even if the parks stay open - the attendance is collapsing quickly. That's gonna hurt.
                      Last edited by Westsider; 03-05-2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Somebody needs to step up and shut down theme parks and other similar public gatherings that will foster the spread of the virus. The federal government has made it clear this week they won't take any action on putting measures in place to stem the spread. Instead, they want the states to do it. The problem is the CDC doesn't work for the states, so it's difficult for the states to manage such an action. Between this inaction and the botched testing, this is not going to end well for any of us.

Comment

It’s not good, but we still don’t know how bad or good it is. We don’t know if its worse than the flu. The flu kills a lot of people too. Hopefully now that the government is actually taking it seriously we can see how dangerous it is... Unless everyone wants to start fashioning their own virus test kits. Wash your hands everyone, and don't rub your eyes.

Comment

It's worse than the flu for the simple reason that there is no immunity in the population to slow its spread. In addition, according to the latest reports from the WHO, the symptoms are more serious than the flu, and the mortality rate is much higher.

Comment

Not good news for tourist venues and their associated hotels:

LA Times: Coronavirus could inflict biggest blow to travel industry since Great Recession

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                                No word yet on whether or not Disneyland will have to close - but when Governor Newsom declared he wasn't letting the Grand Princess cruise ship dock in a California port that also made TDA worry. Would Sacramento decree that all theme parks in California have to close? TDA is in uncharted waters and Sacramento is not helping.
                                I'm not a lawyer, but forcing private businesses to shut down as a preventative measure sounds like pretty dicey constitutional territory.

The governor may pressure them to do it voluntarily, but I doubt anybody has the legal authority to force it.

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for weighing in on your thoughts and opinions, it's been interesting to read. My personal opinion is that this will get worse, before it gets better. However, what that means in relation to closing down Disneyland, and other SoCal theme parks, is yet to be seen. Only time will tell, I suppose.

I've always been a germophobe, but this Coronavirus situation has made it worse for me. I'm much more aware of my surroundings and who is "sick sounding" to me. And the last few times I've been at Disney, I have thought to myself, "why am I here?" No matter how often you wash you hands, theme parks are a breeding ground for germs all over. Just the number of hands that touch things that are common place for everyone else to touch makes me uneasy. I understand this will happen regardless of the current virus, but it just seems to make more of an impact now.

DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post

I'm not a lawyer, but forcing private businesses to shut down as a preventative measure sounds like pretty dicey constitutional territory.

The governor may pressure them to do it voluntarily, but I doubt anybody has the legal authority to force it.
                                    I'm not a lawyer either, but doesn't the government make businesses close their doors all the time due to health or safety reasons? For example, I haven't heard of any challenges to the governor's decision on the Grand Princess.

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post

Most governments have contingencies in their constitutions that allow for them to operate the interest of the public good and shutdown businesses or force a cancel on events.

Comment

This isn’t much different from the Health Department forcing a restaurant to close due to an egregious health violation.

I must say if there wasn’t that measles outbreak a few years ago that was traced to Disneyland I’d be a lot more skeptical on shutting it down. But in this situation they may very well have to.

Comment

I'm not a lawyer either, but doesn't the government make businesses close their doors all the time due to health or safety reasons? For example, I haven't heard of any challenges to the governor's decision on the Grand Princess.
                                          Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

Most governments have contingencies in their constitutions that allow for them to operate the interest of the public good and shutdown businesses or force a cancel on events.
                                          All the statutes I'm aware of (including ones we're currently seeing used to put people in quarantine) require a pretty high burden of probable cause specific to the parties involved. For example, my understanding is that we won't see any kind of legally enforceable order for everyone in Los Angeles or Orange Counties to stay indoors for two weeks. The authorities could request it and recommend it, but not legally enforce it - other than on those people that are known to have (or are reasonably believed to have) been exposed or infected.

I would assume the same applies to a business. I'm sure the authorities can put all kinds of pressure on a company, and Disney isn't in the business of being non-cooperative. But, an actual legally enforced order to shut down the parks... just because the politicians say they should. I doubt that would stand up very long if it was taken before a judge.

If Newsom's order to the cruise ship was really a legal mandate (and not just a request that the ship obeyed), I'm guessing he's using some kind of technicality that has to do with the use of the port, or laws having to do with entry/re-entry.

I think the government's power here is a little more limited than a lot of people may assume. But for a very good reason.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X