Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI the Grand Princess was barred from returning to port. It was not a suggestion.

Comment

Heres my opinion, Disney wont shut down unless they are forced to. If they want to bring guests to the parks still, they need to go all out this summer. People always blow things like this out of proportion.
      What they need to do is go all out with the 65th, bring back paint, do a new fireworks show ( I think that's already being planned) People will show up even more than when they brought back Main Street Electrical Parade last august. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks when spring break starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
        Got some really good intel tonight from managers at the park. Big team meetings for managers this afternoon. The freak out in TDA is real. Remember last June when they opened SW:GE and no one showed up and they freaked out? This time the freak out is even worse.

The cancellation of the Natural Foods Expo was a shock to TDA and rippled thru the blue building like an earthquake. It got real when that happened. The last two days park attendance has collapsed from projections by 10's of thousands. TDA is watching attendance real close this weekend - so far its looking bad and hotel cancellations are piling up for later this month.

Labor cutbacks were already put in place a couple weeks ago after the closure of China parks, then Tokyo, and those have already shown up on schedules. TDA is considering scaling back park operating hours because they go to an 08:00 to 24:00 daily operation for six weeks starting tomorrow 3/6. But now TDA is considering cutting back on hours but aren't sure how to do that 4 weeks out since they've never dealt with anything like this.

DLR management says its not helping that Rebecca is clueless when it comes to park operations and Cheapek is now running the entire company with no replacement for him as Parks Chairman in sight. The clear lack of skilled and tenured senior leadership for the parks is not helping the panic in TDA and Old Admin Bldg. management ranks. If Jon Storbeck was still here as a VP or as Resort President it would be different - no one really has any trust that Rebecca knows anything about anything yet. But snooty Michael Colglazier fired Jon Storbeck several years ago because Colglazier thought Storbeck was too old fashioned and stuck in his Walt ways. Plus Colglazier loves to remind everyone how he went to Stanford and Colglazier was shocked that Storbeck only went to Cal State Long Beach and got up to the VP level before Colglazier booted him. Now Colglazier's parks are all closed, Storbeck works for Cedar Fair, and there's very few execs left in Anaheim who know what to do. It's bad.

No word yet on whether or not Disneyland will have to close - but when Governor Newsom declared he wasn't letting the Grand Princess cruise ship dock in a California port that also made TDA worry. Would Sacramento decree that all theme parks in California have to close? TDA is in uncharted waters and Sacramento is not helping.

Even if the parks stay open - the attendance is collapsing quickly. That's gonna hurt.
        Sometimes I feel like you just make this stuff up. You claimed the sky was falling when the parks were starting to get shut down in Asia, and that all future refurbs were getting frozen. And yet I've seen 6 more pop up in the last month. (Cozy Cone, Hotel Refurbs, Hollywood Backdrop, Tomorrowland Entrance enhancements, Critter Carousel, Tom Sawyers Island, They Also just did some MAJOR work on Maleficent at Fantasmic) AND from every youtuber I've seen Runaway Railway is NOT stopping construction. You also claimed last year that during the Castle refurb that all the castle launchers were getting removed permanently, and that they wanted Mix Magic for the summer because they can cut all the GSO cast members. All False information.

Stop spreading all this doom and gloom when most of it isn't even true, and inciting panic everywhere for no reason. No GSO cast member has this many connections to corporate, especially a former one.

Comment

I'd go with Dusty on this one
          Should I visit Disneyland?

"In short, that’s a decision you need to make. But if you are in good health, now is a beautiful and cost-effective time to visit. There’s going to be a flu season every year. Follow the tips above and you’ll be on the right path whether you are at Disneyland, the supermarket, or at home.

As a whole, Disneyland is a pretty safe place to be and has robust sanitation standards."

Comment

Originally posted by nickdean707 View Post
            I'd go with Dusty on this one
            Should I visit Disneyland?
            "
            That article is dangerously uninformed. The excuse that Dusty put in the comments section was that it was written prior to recent announcements from the WHO and CDC. That’s ok, but delete the article in that case.

Anyway, that excuse doesn’t change the fact that this rosy advice was followed in the article with a sales pitch for a travel insurance partner from which Micechat gets a cut. I’d like to believe his excuse but as it is, the article reads like an attempt to make a buck off of COVID19.

Comment

Originally posted by Rammikin View Post
              That article is dangerously uninformed. The excuse that Dusty put in the comments section was that it was written prior to recent announcements from the WHO and CDC. That’s ok, but delete the article in that case.

Anyway, that excuse doesn’t change the fact that this rosy advice was followed in the article with a sales pitch for a travel insurance partner from which Micechat gets a cut....
              Exactly. And the attacks on Westsider's credibility from MiceChatters who are loyal Disney employees are S.O.P.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly. And the attacks on Westsider's credibility from MiceChatters who are loyal Disney employees is S.O.P.

There'd be no need to attack him if he would admit that he's wrong every once in a while, instead of claiming to be some sort of all knowing deity

Comment

Well, the LA Marathon is not cancelled. That seems pretty crazy to me.

A doctor on the news (I think it was CBS) last night said that limiting interactions through social distancing is how we protect the vulnerable: the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

Staying away from strangers as much as possible is the kindest thing you can do for your community right now. I don't get why some people refuse to accept this.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                    ...Staying away from strangers as much as possible is the kindest thing you can do for your community right now. I don't get why some people refuse to accept this.
                    Indeed. It's particularly difficult to understand why some people insist on blowing it off as an "overreaction." Given the events of the last month, limiting one's exposure to large numbers of people in environments like sporting events, concerts and theme parks would seem sensible.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

There'd be no need to attack him if he would admit that he's wrong every once in a while, instead of claiming to be some sort of all knowing deity
                      That's a poor excuse for a Disney employee to attack Westsider's motivation. MiceChat has a long history of Disney employees who attack those who bash their bosses -- whistleblowers like Westsider in particular -- but they rarely have the credibility that Westsider has earned with his long track record of presenting evidence.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Some of the posts in this thread have been flagged. I would like to allow the opportunity for the person being questioned to respond before I move any posts.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                          Some of the posts in this thread have been flagged. I would like to allow the opportunity for the person being questioned to respond before I move any posts.
                          What's the reasoning behind the flagging?

Comment

SXSW canceled today. Hard to imagine Disneyland remaining open much longer after that.

Comment

Sometimes I feel like you just make this stuff up.... No GSO cast member has this many connections to corporate, especially a former one.
                              You don't have to believe me. It's the Internet.

But I've been on this board for 13 years. Back then we called it GC instead of GSO like the new kids do now, and those GC Leads and Attractions Leads of mine in the 2000's went through Emerging Leaders a decade ago and have been moving up the management ranks for a decade. Some still work in Ops management, some moved into Facilities management, and some moved on to TDA roles after five years in Ops management, etc., etc.

And they're still my buds. And we have some beers and catch up every couple weeks. Yesterday was a huge team meeting day for management and there were lots of questions asked - a few went unanswered but some got answers.

This is a very fluid situation. There are things in the pipeline headed to Anaheim that will become apparent later this month - after the decision to shelve or halt things were made a few weeks ago. This isn't over - it's still very much evolving. But you don't have to believe me for one second and I won't be offended.

As for smaller rehabs - those will still happen. There are still plenty of painters and machinists on staff, plenty of paint in the warehouse, and all the supplies for the new hotel bedding and wallpaper and various small projects all was ordered and charged off months ago. I don't think I ever said that routine maintenance and small rehabs would stop - and no one in Facilities has ever told me that.
                              Last edited by Westsider; 03-06-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Westsider......thanks for the ALL your reports........
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by LOST View Post

What's the reasoning behind the flagging?
                                  Probably because I questioned westsider.
                                  Last edited by nickdean707; 03-06-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post

You don't have to believe me. It's the Internet.

But I've been on this board for 13 years. Back then we called it GC instead of GSO like the new kids do now, and those GC Leads and Attractions Leads of mine in the 2000's went through Emerging Leaders a decade ago and have been moving up the management ranks for a decade. Some still work in Ops management, some moved into Facilities management, and some moved on to TDA roles after five years in Ops management, etc., etc.

And they're still my buds. And we have some beers and catch up every couple weeks. Yesterday was a huge team meeting day for management and there were lots of questions asked - a few went unanswered but some got answers.

This is a very fluid situation. There are things in the pipeline headed to Anaheim that will become apparent later this month - after the decision to shelve or halt things were made a few weeks ago. This isn't over - it's still very much evolving. But you don't have to believe me for one second and I won't be offended.

As for smaller rehabs - those will still happen. There are still plenty of painters and machinists on staff, plenty of paint in the warehouse, and all the supplies for the new hotel bedding and wallpaper and various small projects all was ordered and charged off months ago. I don't think I ever said that routine maintenance and small rehabs would stop - and no one in Facilities has ever told me that.
                                    So let me ask you this then, are they really so scared that they're going to give up on the 65th entertainment options already? Two months into the fiscal year?

Comment

So let me ask you this then, are they really so scared that they're going to give up on the 65th entertainment options already? Two months into the fiscal year?
                                      Pretty much the entire resort has been underperforming projections since last Memorial Day. Even Rise doesn't appear to have caused the splash they wanted since it opened in January.

"Scared" is probably overly dramatic, but the problems in Anaheim started long before COVID-19, and it's almost impossible not to interpret the short- to mid-term financial situation as pretty grim.

Comment

Disney's fiscal year does not follow the traditional calendar. It goes from October to the September of the following year. So in other words, Disney's fiscal year entered its 6th month, not 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post
                                          Pretty much the entire resort has been underperforming projections since last Memorial Day. Even Rise doesn't appear to have caused the splash they wanted since it opened in January.

"Scared" is probably overly dramatic, but the problems in Anaheim started long before COVID-19, and it's almost impossible not to interpret the short- to mid-term financial situation as pretty grim.
                                          Very true. Unfortunately, COVID-19 could be a double-whammy for Disney: Its short-to mid-term threat to park attendance may overwhelm management's ability to address the true causes of the pre-virus underperformance. The long-term danger to Disney is that when the COVID-19 emergency is finally past, management could still be facing its pre-virus problems and be no wiser about how to address them; like many top-heavy corporate bureaucracies, Disney traditionally blames individuals in its organization for its problems, rather than the power structure of the organization itself.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X