Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN: The psychology behind why toilet paper, of all things, is the latest coronavirus panic buy
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

• https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/polit...ife/index.html

My personal interpretation of this is that we have very little time left before mass quarantines take effect, even if they start locally, and then expand regionally.

From the article,
      Bossert also said Americans have to prepare to be out of their daily rhythms for weeks:
      "How long? Epidemiologists suggest eight weeks might be needed to arrest this outbreak. Administrators, students, teachers and parents need to get busy figuring out how to continue the education of our children while contributing to this community-wide public health effort."
      8 weeks.

I hope you are ready. If not, time is running out.

Comment

• I'm planning a trip to DCA this weekend with my family for a small birthday party. The kids are very excited to go and we want to show them a good time. Hands will be washed frequently, and sanitizer will be used. Other than that, we're not going to worry. Our immune systems are strong and we will enjoy a day at the park. Currently there is a higher risk of getting in a car accident on the way there, or picking up the regular flu or cold. We are vigilant but we will not let the panic-driven media stories get the better of us. Without annual passes, trips to the parks are not frequent, so this opportunity is a big deal for us. I'm looking forward to a great day.

Comment

• Please refrain from criticizing others because they are choosing to go to a theme park. Right now, they are still open. Thank you.

Comment

• Not sure where you are getting your facts, the governor of this state is asking people to avoid large gatherings. If you still go, be sure the sanitize the hand grips of the rides especially. I don't think Disney is doing that after each ride. And if you get sick at all, please don't go to the park. I was at Downtown Disney on Friday night and I spotted at least a dozen people coughing, and most not covering their mouths. Still have foreign tourists in town who have much different hygiene habits than we do here.
            good luck getting ROTR passes! and please post your trip report here so others can see what to expect until Disney closes. It's almost certain they will need to.

Comment

• I will. Thanks. It's a DCA trip only, so no need to stress over ROTR. As far as where I get my facts, I get them from various sources and decide for myself the danger level. Right now, I read of a virus that gives a fever and cough, and for most people symptoms are mild enough to be barely ill, if at all. Not all, but most. The worst symptoms are for those who are otherwise not healthy and/or old, neither of which is our case. Other countries have had it worse than America. I'm glad DCA is in America and not one of those other countries.

Of course I wouldn't go if I'm ill. That would be miserable and understandably irresponsible. I wouldn't go with a cold or flu, either. Governments and businesses are putting out alarms because this is a real story. No one wants to get sick. It's a new virus that we don't yet have a vaccine for, it feeds the 24-hour news cycle, and everyone wants to look "in charge" by getting out in front of it. Ok, but more have died of the flu, and there is no vaccine for the common cold, but life continues, and except in the worse cases, a cold sounds much more uncomfortable than this.

This will be on my mind during the entire visit, and we will wash and sanitize our hands accordingly, but there is a difference between being aware and "OMG...Crowds...Panic!" I'm not going down the path of the latter just yet. It's all about perspective.

Comment

• The point of avoiding large gatherings is not to prevent each individual at the gathering from getting sick. The point is to avoid spreading the disease throughout your community. Every person at Disneyland today will return home and potentially spread the virus to their friends, loved ones, and community. In other words, anyone going to Disneyland is not a danger to themselves. Instead, they are a danger to their community.

There are two kinds of countries in the world today. Those like Thailand who took this seriously early and are now in good shape. Then there are countries like Italy who did not take it seriously early and now are in trouble.

Comment

• I understand that, but the key word is "potentially". Changes are greater that they will potentially not spread anything. I can potentially spread a cold virus I don't know I have, or a flu that I don't know I have. Our bodies also have immune systems that work against viruses, if the immune system is strong. I'm honestly more concerned about the annual flu, and no one reacts like this to the news of the flu, unless the flu is named, then people react. This is named, it is new, and it's all over the news.

Trust me, I can't wait for the news that a vaccine is available. I'll be first in line. But on the flip side, I'm not going to succumb to over-hyped fears either. Between the extremes of no concern and panic is a large grey area of vigilance and diligence. I like to exist in that area.

Comment

• Oh my. This is not like the flu at all. There is herd immunity in the community that prevents the flu from spreading widely. There is no such herd immunity for COVID-19. Even ignoring the deaths, widespread infection will have a debilitating effect on the economy and health care system unless we all do our part to limit the spread. As virtually every expert has advised this week: avoid large public gatherings.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimJohn47 View Post
                      ...Governments and businesses are putting out alarms because this is a real story. No one wants to get sick. It's a new virus that we don't yet have a vaccine for, it feeds the 24-hour news cycle, and everyone wants to look "in charge" by getting out in front of it. Ok, but more have died of the flu, and there is no vaccine for the common cold, but life continues, and except in the worse cases, a cold sounds much more uncomfortable than this.
                      "We will see more cases and things will get worse than they are right now. This is a really serious problem that we have to take seriously. People always say that the flu does this, the flu does that – the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. This [COVID-19] has a mortality of 10 times that."
                      -- Dr. Anthony Fauci, National Institutes of Health
                      March 11, 2020

Originally posted by Rammikin View Post
                      Oh my. This is not like the flu at all. There is herd immunity in the community that prevents the flu from spreading widely. There is no such herd immunity for COVID-19. Even ignoring the deaths, widespread infection will have a debilitating effect on the economy and health care system unless we all do our part to limit the spread. As virtually every expert has advised this week: avoid large public gatherings.
                      Exactly.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• So far, those are the numbers with with limited testing and an unknown number who recover on their own without getting tested. That's concerning, for sure. But I'm curious to see how that percentage changes when more and more tests become available.

Obviously we have different takes on this. Fine. No matter what happens, we can count on the news to report the worst cases and the worst numbers. It makes for exciting TV and keeps the viewers glued. This is not new. "If it leads it bleeds" has been a long-standing news tradition. I'm looking forward to our trip and will take precautions. If enough people are scared away, I may be unintentionally heeding the Governor's call of not congregating in a crowded place. Wouldn't that make for an amazing day at the park?

Comment

• No one reacts to this news of the flu because there is herd immunity to flu via the flu shot. The risk of death from cold and flu is lower than for the coronavirus. I would bet you know someone who is at higher risk due to age or compromised immune system.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to change your mind so I'll just add this: If you use cash, please wash your hands immediately after use.

"I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

• Originally posted by TimJohn47 View Post
                            So far, those are the numbers with with limited testing and an unknown number who recover on their own without getting tested. That's concerning, for sure. But I'm curious to see how that percentage changes when more and more tests become available.
                            When you have a disease which will spread unchecked through the community, it doesn't matter if the mortality rate is .1% or 10%. Either way it's seriously deadly. Way more deadly than any pandemic in the past 100 years. In any case, even if you ignore the deaths, the impact of the sickness on the economy and health care system will be debilitating unless we take collective action, like avoiding large public gatherings.

Obviously we have different takes on this. Fine. No matter what happens, we can count on the news to report the worst cases and the worst numbers. It makes for exciting TV and keeps the viewers glued. This is not new. "If it leads it bleeds" has been a long-standing news tradition. I'm looking forward to our trip and will take precautions. If enough people are scared away, I may be unintentionally heeding the Governor's call of not congregating in a crowded place. Wouldn't that make for an amazing day at the park?
                            Well, when you consider the consequences of anyone attending Disneyland right now, I would say "no".
                            Last edited by Rammikin; 03-11-2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                              ...If you use cash, please wash your hands immediately after use.
                              Dirty Money: The case against using cash during the coronavirus outbreak

"New York (CNN Business)The ongoing spread of coronavirus is forcing institutions around the world to rethink one particularly germy surface that most consumers touch every day: cash.

On Friday, South Korea's central bank said it was taking all banknotes out of circulation for two weeks -- and burning some -- to reduce the spread of the virus, according to Reuters. It follows China's massive initiative around deep cleaning potentially infected cash with ultraviolet light and high temperatures, and in some cases, destroying it. The treated cash comes from high-risk infection areas, such as hospitals....

"There is no doubt we pass microorganisms through cash," Paul Matewele, a senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University, told CNN Business. "[Studies show] a number of things we would never have thought would be present."

According to a 2017 study conducted in New York City, researchers found microorganisms living on the surface of cash, ranging from mouth and vaginal bacteria to flu-like viruses. The World Health Organization recommends washing your hands after handling money, especially before eating food.

And credit cards aren't necessarily any more sanitary: Microorganisms are able to transfer to credit cards in similar ways and point-of-sale terminals are used by multiple people....

In addition to washing your hands after touching money, other forms of protection include using antibacterial or baby wipes to clean phones and credit cards, and carrying your own pen to sign receipts."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

• As Disney seeks to reassure investors, one analyst firm predicts U.S. theme parks will need to close amid coronavirus pandemic

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...5pq-story.html

“Rightly or wrongly, most investors we speak with believe Disney’s US parks will close,” the note said. “For them ‘whether the parks will close’ is no longer the operative question.”

Instead, it’s a matter of “when and for how long?"

Comment

• Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                                  ...My personal interpretation of this is that we have very little time left before mass quarantines take effect, even if they start locally, and then expand regionally.
                                  Your interpretation is supported by the medical experts, including this one interviewed today on MSNBC:

“We are actually at a tipping point today, and not just because the WHO declared this to be a world-wide pandemic.... We are hitting a point now where if we follow the same trajectory as Italy – and we are already on track to do that – we’re going to be Italy in two weeks. We really need to hit the brakes now, to slow things down so we don’t end up with emergency rooms and hospitals and clinics overwhelmed as we have seen there [in Italy].”

- Dr. Celine Gounder, Epidemiologist
                                  Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases, New York University.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-11-2020, 02:31 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• World Health Organisation now declares this a pandemic.
                                    MY SIGNATURE:
                                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• With the way things have rapidly transpired today with the NCAA and NBA, the TV shows taping without audiences, etc, I predict Disney will close their 3 remaining resorts tomorrow or Friday at the latest. As a restaurant manager, I have to wonder how long until my industry will have to follow suit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
                                        With the way things have rapidly transpired today with the NCAA and NBA, the TV shows taping without audiences, etc, I predict Disney will close their 3 remaining resorts tomorrow or Friday at the latest. As a restaurant manager, I have to wonder how long until my industry will have to follow suit.
                                        You may be right. The NCAA will be losing some money because of this and the NBA a lot more. Disney is not the only company that will be losing money during this crisis. They really do need to close down until this pandemic ends. Imagine the news on either coast if a CM or guest gets sick which at this point to me does not seem likely - it seems inevitable.

Comment

• Three TSA Screeners from the San Jose Airport tested positive for Coronavirus....wonder how many passengers they had contact with...and now all the passengers are scattered who knows where... imagine what would happen if three CMs at the entrance turnstiles had the virus..

3 TSA officers at San Jose airport test positive for coronavirus; 42 agents now on leave

Three Transportation Security Administration officers who work at Mineta San Jose International Airport tested positive for COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) an airport spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X