Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DISCUSSION] California Adventure: Food and Drink Central

Just a question of curiosity because California Adventure’s short history is also extremely complicated with stories left and right, but... has it always been a food-centric park?

I’m one of those people who really enjoys the pop-up stands, but I’ve noticed that they’re so re-occurring, it’s almost a defining trait of the park. Is this a new trend or something that dates back to the beginning?

Also I’m here to flaunt my mezcal cocktail.

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
    Just a question of curiosity because California Adventure’s short history is also extremely complicated with stories left and right, but... has it always been a food-centric park?

I’m one of those people who really enjoys the pop-up stands, but I’ve noticed that they’re so re-occurring, it’s almost a defining trait of the park. Is this a new trend or something that dates back to the beginning?
    It was part of Eisner's plan from the beginning, per his vision of DCA as a park packed with food and merch venues. With their cheap labor and cheap, high-markup ingredients, food stands and walk-up foot courts are virtually pure profit -- a lesson that Paul Pressler, Eisner's choice to run Disneyland and later all of Disney Parks, learned from his years as a mall retailer, and which his successors have followed to this day.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Food and wine is one of my favorite times of the year. So far I've tried the garlic mac n cheese and the white cheddar lager, both amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It was part of Eisner's plan from the beginning, per his vision of DCA as a park packed with food and merch venues. With their cheap labor and cheap, high-markup ingredients, food stands and walk-up foot courts are virtually pure profit -- a lesson that Paul Pressler, Eisner's choice to run Disneyland and later all of Disney Parks, learned from his years as a mall retailer, and which his successors have followed to this day.
        Ah! Thank you! While I enjoy the food and drink markets quite often (there are hits and misses), it’s good to have this sort of insight and history.

With that being said, I have to say the selection for the Food and Wine festival this year is quite nice. Was not a fan of the Lunar Year selections. Maybe it’s a matter of phoning it in or putting in the effort during certain seasons.

Comment

The original DCA 1.0 was criticized for having nothing but restaurants, and then too many high end sit down restaurants like Robert Mondavi (wine country) and Wolfgang Puck (Avalon Cove / Ariel’s Grotto / Whatever the hell it is now). They had tons of places to eat that ended up only opening once or twice like Maliburritos or Sam Andreas Shakes, Lucky Fortune Chinese.
          Today, DCA has a plethora of restaurants but has also upped the attractions, variety of food and attendance numbers, so it is not seen as much of a problem.
          That being said, these constant food festival things are getting out of hand and look like they will be up year round so Disney can milk more money out of the APs.
          I worked at DCA 1.0 from 2001 to 2004, so I have very vivid memories of everything about the early days of the park, if you have any other questions.

Comment

DCA has always had the better food overall. One of the best things woven into its DNA.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X