Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Coronavirus: Gov. Newsom recommends canceling gatherings over 250 people

I wonder if this includes Disneyland too?

Updated 9 minutes ago
    LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- From sporting events to concerts and business conferences, California state health officials are recommending the cancellation of any gatherings of more than 250 people to help contain the coronavirus outbreak.

The California Department of Public Health is asking for the cancellations at least through the end of March.

The guidelines issued by the department and by the office of Gov. Gavin Newsom appear to be recommendations and not a mandate at this time. But Newsom said following the recommendations can help save lives and slow the spread of the disease.

"Changing our actions for a short period of time will save the life of one or more people you know," Newsom said.

"That's the choice before us. Each of us has extraordinary power to slow the spread of this disease. Not holding that concert or community event can have cascading effects - saving dozens of lives and preserving critical health care resources that your family may need a month from now."
    From sporting events to concerts and business conferences, California state health officials are recommending the cancellation of any gatherings of more than 250 people to help contain the coronavirus outbreak.

I think at this point Disney should indeed close its parks as a precaution. We now know that the virus can live in the air for at least several hours. It isn’t worth it. I don’t expect Disney to close it’s US parks though. It cares too much about profits.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

Comment

Originally posted by LADodgersBum View Post
      I wonder if this includes Disneyland too?
      If it doesn't, it should. Tens of thousands of people spending hours packed into ride vehicles, restaurants and stores is a virus' idea of heaven.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by coconutcrab
        Ok. And.........?
        Disneyland of course has far more than that and numerous surfaces people touch every second and no room for space between individuals. As I said in the other thread it’s tone deaf at best and ignorant at worst that the parks remain open.

You have now had both the Canadian and U.S health departments tell people to avoid large crowds, numerous health professionals at all levels echo the same, and now several North American jurisdictions and sports leagues ponder or drastically change how they operate. It’s not a grand conspiracy, my wife who is in that same medical profession rolls her eyes at that, she genuinely advises patients not to panic but to follow the guidelines in order to prevent things from getting out of hand, and no she’s not paid by the media to insight a panic.....

I was far more apologetic to people visiting and the parks staying open before, but it’s pretty clear now that this is a more serious issue than the common flu, and sacrificing a few weeks or even a month to ensure the situation does not get out of hand is a small price to pay. People go without food in lots of the world surely people can go without a trip to the park for a month or so, and if these trips were purchased even a month or so ago prior to insurance companies changing their policy and travel advisories already being in effect at time of booking tourists will get most of their money back.

Statistically speaking it’s almost a sure thing several people including employees at the resort have the virus. The negative PR storm, which I’m sure Disney’s department is readying for, is gonna be incredible if the parks choose to stay open when several sports leagues and tournaments cancel or play to no crowds. No wonder Iger got out when he did, probably saw this coming and threw a meat shield in front of his legacy in Chapek.

Comment

^ Linkeq2001 nails it.
          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
            ^ Linkeq2001 nails it.
            I second that. Disney needs to do something. Now.

Comment

Timing of Iger stepping down when he did - now explained.

I should rename Cheapek to Scapek (for scapegoat).

bahahaha
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Seems Gavin avoided mentioning specific business names. Even the generic term - theme parks. At the rate the virus is spreading... I don’t see how Disney can avoid doing nothing after another week. Same should apply to Knott’s, Magic Mountain, etc.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Just saw this graph. I love Disney, but they shouldn’t ignore this pandemic. Preventative measures will save lives. Food festivals seem particularly risky (and what bad timing that both resorts have the biggest of the year this month.)
                  Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

I wonder if a closure would allow Disney to address all outstanding maintenance issues?
                    Disney visits over the years:
                    • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
                    • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
                    • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
                    • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
                    • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
                    • Disneyland, August 2007
                    • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
                    • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
                    • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
                    • Disneyland, June 2013
                    • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
                    • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
                    • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
                    • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

Originally posted by BNSF1995 View Post
                      I wonder if a closure would allow Disney to address all outstanding maintenance issues?
                      I highly doubt they'd do it, but it would be awesome if it did, since they'd be shut down already. As long as they could do it safely for the workers, I bet they could get a lot done if they don't need to worry about guests being there for days.

Comment

Bold prediction- Disneyland will announce indefinite resort closure within 48 hours.
                        Last edited by hbdad; 03-12-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I think some sort of mandatory closure or restriction is inevitable. Hopefully TDA is drawing up emergency action plans as we speak.

For me, it's not so much about 'Boo hoo, I can't go to Disney' and cancelled travel plans as it is about the 1000s of employees who will be off work. I doubt very much if they'll continue their pay. If TDA calls it a 'lay off' they'll be eligible for UIB, but then Disney will be faced with a tax bill for their share of cost. How concerned is TDA going to be about the financial welfare of it's traditionally low-paid employees vs their own bottom line? I think we all know the answer to that.

BTW, my concerns are also for WDW and all theme parks. Indeed, all places who might be impacted and don't provide decent leave policies.

As far as doing maintenance, I have a feeling that 'closed means closed'. If TPTB say 'no more than XXX people gathered' I expect that TDA could see that they are under that number but would they want to take the chance of being 'ground zero' for a rash of cases because they had 200-300 maintenance workers on site? But once you factor in security, management, deliveries, etc I don't know how much would actually get done. I also wonder if large spaces like theme parks, stadiums, etc will be given an exception for security personnel. Leaving these places totally unguarded could be a 'temptation' to those inclined to cause problems.

The problem is that 'voluntary' measures don't seem to be working because very few people/organizations are 'volunteering' to close down. The NBA didn't until a player was involved. Not concern over the public, but that the players may spread the disease among themselves.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Gatherings of over 250 people? Maybe I can convince my boss to shut down my workplace!
                            "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

The theme parks should have closed two weeks ago, but I completely understand why they didn't. What they need to do today is announce the closures effective a few days from now. This it will give time for the parks and restaurants to sell the food they have on hand. Yes, it seems silly, but that's a huge consideration. It's why some of the buffets in Vegas are closing first starting Sunday. It also gives people the chance to mentally adjust. Phased closures are much easier to deal with than sudden, complete ones.

I feel sorry for Knott's. They have massive amounts of food ready for the Boysenberry festival. Yes, I know that food can be donated, but this is just an added expense they are going to have to write off.

Comment

Another consideration though it's pretty small........

In my experience, complex machinery, like most of the rides at DL, once shut down for more than a few days, does not simply start back up again. All sorts of unpredictable things will happen, some seemingly in defiance of physics. And once it does actually run, all sorts of troubles will arise for days (even weeks) afterward.

DL management knows this and even though it shouldn't be a factor, given their past history of extreme corporate greed, you can bet it figures heavily into their decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by hbdad View Post
                                  Bold prediction- Disneyland will announce indefinite tie resort closure within 48 hours.
                                  I hope you are correct! If our goal, as a community, is to stop community spread, Disneyland needs to go along with the program. The NBA should put pressure on them. MLB needs to postpone its season, as well.

Comment

What if disney implements a sanitizing routine for the whole park? Like closed on mondays and tuesdays for sanitizing and then restrictions on visits (temperature taking and what not in order to enter.)

Comment

^I've been wondering the same thing, because a closure would be devastating for employees. But I just don't think it would be logistically possible to not close. There are just too many attractions and experiences that involve tight quarters (Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Smuggler's Run, Rise of the Resistance, Guardians of the Galaxy...to name a few). Even the stupid RotR boarding process pre-rope drop in Main Street is risky.

Comment

I have a non-refunable hotel booking for March 25th so i sent an email to the place I booked at. Will be interesting to see how they handle these things. I said I am not expecting a refund but a credit would be a nice gesture for situations like mine.
                                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                        My company had a special night at the park
                                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                        NYE 2011 trip report
                                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                        Leap year 24 hour report
                                        New DCA trip report
                                        NYE 2012
                                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X