Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Disney use this virus to speed up construction in the parks?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Should Disney use this virus to speed up construction in the parks?

    I wonder, should Disney should use this horrible virus as an opportunity to speed up construction work in the parks?

    Maybe there is no way to have workers safely out there now,
    but IF there is
    then Disney could open their new attractions sooner, and the sooner they open new attractions,
    the sooner attendance will increase.

    What do you think? (I know--probably stupid because as many as possible should be in our cave homes for at least a couple of months.)

  • #2
    It'd be interesting if crews of two could film videos in the nearly empty parks.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-17-2020, 08:05 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's not a stupid question at all.

      The majority of factories will have maintenance and construction crews work every holiday so why wouldn't DL do the same?

      If I were maintenance/construction there, I'd expect to be working through it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Seems that maybe with a fairly large and sudden cut to their revenue stream, they may feel its more prudent to conserve cash and not spend more speeding up projects?

        Comment


        • #5
          I can see that it's a good opportunity, but I just don't think there's a way to do it safely.

          Maintaining 'social distance'
          Avoiding contaminating surfaces (and the air)
          Avoiding 'bringing in' the infection from elsewhere
          Avoiding groups of more than 10

          How are they going to do that with construction? Construction depends on crews working together, bringing in deliveries from God knows where, and management consulting in somewhat close quarters (looking over charts, blueprints, schematics, etc) and then relaying that information to the crews, normally by gathering a group together.


          But WILL they do it? Probably.
          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

          Comment


          • #6
            Construction Crews have not been on site since closure, and the normal maintenance crews who were on for a few days after closure have now also been told to stay home. However some work was started on pavement in the hub so that will definitely have to be finished before reopening.

            Comment


            • #7
              Just talked to a buddy from Facilities. Originally the Facilities CM's were supposed to come in this week and remain on the job through the closure - but that changed suddenly over the weekend. Almost all Facilities CM's are now being told to remain at home, and work on refurbishments has come to a halt. Rise at SW:GE is the exception to this rule so far - but they are already winding that down from what they thought they could do at Rise just a few days ago.

              All construction at Avengers Campus and MMRR is being halted as of this week. Construction on the new admin building behind Luigi's is also being halted.

              Right now if it stays like this for the next 8 weeks per the new CDC rules - don't expect Avengers Campus to open on time on July 18th and don't expect refurbishments at Mansion, Snow White, etc. to be finished by the time the parks do reopen.

              Facilities work is at a standstill at DLR now. This is also the same strategy that will be used at WDW - although just like DLR they thought they could keep rehab and construction work going on out there during the closure - but Burbank overruled that over the weekend.

              Comment


              • #8
                If they don’t do this (strict cdc quarantines) the virus will keep spreading exponentially and it would take even longer to re open, like years. The economy would tank worse than now and there wouldn’t be a Disneyland, or no one would be able to afford to go due to economic Depression. The more people congregating and having kid or house parties, group activities, the more load you put on the hospitals that are going to be overrun at the peak of the wave (June/July).

                Comment


                • #9
                  On my way to work today (I work in healthcare -‘although in an administrative role) as I was driving on the 405 in Orange County to work I did see construction workers working on the expansion project. Although there were not as many as usual. So maybe at least some minor construction/maintenance could be going on somewhere in the resort?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When companies are looking at what may possibly become the biggest loss in history, they tend not to make a lot of capital improvements. They are just trying to survive. Even when this whole mess is over, lots of people will be unemployed so they won't be contributing to Disney's bottom line so this mess will continue to hurt long after the medical threat to life is over. But with that said, they very well may continue the construction that they have already started/funded.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                      On my way to work today (I work in healthcare -‘although in an administrative role) as I was driving on the 405 in Orange County to work I did see construction workers working on the expansion project. Although there were not as many as usual. So maybe at least some minor construction/maintenance could be going on somewhere in the resort?
                      I agree with you. Too many "my friend told me this" posts here and elsewhere, but no proof that no work is going on in the park.
                      "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think it would take only one construction worker to test positive for the construction to be halted, so they may just be getting ahead of that and shutting it all down. They aren't immune just because they're not guests.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pattimarie View Post
                          I think it would take only one construction worker to test positive for the construction to be halted, so they may just be getting ahead of that and shutting it all down. They aren't immune just because they're not guests.
                          I agree and unfortunately expect some projects to get scaled back from original plans.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                            I can see that it's a good opportunity, but I just don't think there's a way to do it safely.

                            Maintaining 'social distance'
                            Avoiding contaminating surfaces (and the air)
                            Avoiding 'bringing in' the infection from elsewhere
                            Avoiding groups of more than 10

                            How are they going to do that with construction? Construction depends on crews working together, bringing in deliveries from God knows where, and management consulting in somewhat close quarters (looking over charts, blueprints, schematics, etc) and then relaying that information to the crews, normally by gathering a group together. . .
                            Your post is more grown up than mine, and this is a "better safe than sorry" situation and according to this now 9-day old article, Disney has stopped construction:

                            https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-down-all.html

                            Still, there is a building being built on the campus of Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA.

                            This is a bit off track, but I read that Universal is now scheduled to re-open on April 19. Of course, that could be moved tp a later date.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

                              Your post is more grown up than mine, and this is a "better safe than sorry" situation and according to this now 9-day old article, Disney has stopped construction:

                              https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-down-all.html

                              Still, there is a building being built on the campus of Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA.

                              This is a bit off track, but I read that Universal is now scheduled to re-open on April 19. Of course, that could be moved tp a later date.
                              I've been seeing construction crews out on projects where I live, too. Not a lot, but certainly not working on exempted projects. I think it's a shame.

                              I know Harvey Mudd well. Grew up in the area.

                              "Go Bearcats, beat the Wolfpack!!"

                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Construction is allowed to be done during this time per the governor's mandates, it's probably Disney wanting to not spend any extra money they don't need to at this time - https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-exc...ial-needs/#top

                                " it exempts activity as needed to maintain continuity of operation of the federal critical infrastructure sectors, critical government services, schools, childcare, and construction, including housing construction."

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Stormy View Post

                                  I've been seeing construction crews out on projects where I live, too. Not a lot, but certainly not working on exempted projects. I think it's a shame.

                                  I know Harvey Mudd well. Grew up in the area.

                                  "Go Bearcats, beat the Wolfpack!!"
                                  So apparently these Bearcats challenge our Claremont High Wolfpack to various feats of strength, yet I have never heard of them and know not which city they represent. Forgive me, but they must not be very impressive.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

                                    So apparently these Bearcats challenge our Claremont High Wolfpack to various feats of strength, yet I have never heard of them and know not which city they represent. Forgive me, but they must not be very impressive.
                                    LOL. "In baseball or football first and last, the Bearcats kick the Wolfpack's ......never mind".

                                    TBH I live 400 miles away now but when I was a student at Bonita HS (back when the Earth was cooling) we were unstoppable.
                                    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                      I can see that it's a good opportunity, but I just don't think there's a way to do it safely.

                                      Maintaining 'social distance'
                                      Avoiding contaminating surfaces (and the air)
                                      Avoiding 'bringing in' the infection from elsewhere
                                      Avoiding groups of more than 10

                                      How are they going to do that with construction? Construction depends on crews working together, bringing in deliveries from God knows where, and management consulting in somewhat close quarters (looking over charts, blueprints, schematics, etc) and then relaying that information to the crews, normally by gathering a group together.


                                      But WILL they do it? Probably.
                                      Caltrans seems to have figured it out as freeway projects continue through this scare. USH has construction going on on their lot. City crews in LA continue to pave streets. DWP continues to tear up streets.
                                      "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        I predict we won't see the regular Haunted Mansion back until 2021 due the closure, the pending refurbishment and NBC.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X