Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Disney use this virus to speed up construction in the parks?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacAlert
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    On my way to work today (I work in healthcare -‘although in an administrative role) as I was driving on the 405 in Orange County to work I did see construction workers working on the expansion project. Although there were not as many as usual. So maybe at least some minor construction/maintenance could be going on somewhere in the resort?
    I agree with you. Too many "my friend told me this" posts here and elsewhere, but no proof that no work is going on in the park.

Leave a comment:

• tarheelalum
    replied
    When companies are looking at what may possibly become the biggest loss in history, they tend not to make a lot of capital improvements. They are just trying to survive. Even when this whole mess is over, lots of people will be unemployed so they won't be contributing to Disney's bottom line so this mess will continue to hurt long after the medical threat to life is over. But with that said, they very well may continue the construction that they have already started/funded.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied
    On my way to work today (I work in healthcare -‘although in an administrative role) as I was driving on the 405 in Orange County to work I did see construction workers working on the expansion project. Although there were not as many as usual. So maybe at least some minor construction/maintenance could be going on somewhere in the resort?

Leave a comment:

• brian11811
    replied
    If they don’t do this (strict cdc quarantines) the virus will keep spreading exponentially and it would take even longer to re open, like years. The economy would tank worse than now and there wouldn’t be a Disneyland, or no one would be able to afford to go due to economic Depression. The more people congregating and having kid or house parties, group activities, the more load you put on the hospitals that are going to be overrun at the peak of the wave (June/July).

Leave a comment:

• Westsider
    replied
    Just talked to a buddy from Facilities. Originally the Facilities CM's were supposed to come in this week and remain on the job through the closure - but that changed suddenly over the weekend. Almost all Facilities CM's are now being told to remain at home, and work on refurbishments has come to a halt. Rise at SW:GE is the exception to this rule so far - but they are already winding that down from what they thought they could do at Rise just a few days ago.

All construction at Avengers Campus and MMRR is being halted as of this week. Construction on the new admin building behind Luigi's is also being halted.

Right now if it stays like this for the next 8 weeks per the new CDC rules - don't expect Avengers Campus to open on time on July 18th and don't expect refurbishments at Mansion, Snow White, etc. to be finished by the time the parks do reopen.

Facilities work is at a standstill at DLR now. This is also the same strategy that will be used at WDW - although just like DLR they thought they could keep rehab and construction work going on out there during the closure - but Burbank overruled that over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• bye130
    replied
    Construction Crews have not been on site since closure, and the normal maintenance crews who were on for a few days after closure have now also been told to stay home. However some work was started on pavement in the hub so that will definitely have to be finished before reopening.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    I can see that it's a good opportunity, but I just don't think there's a way to do it safely.

Maintaining 'social distance'
    Avoiding contaminating surfaces (and the air)
    Avoiding 'bringing in' the infection from elsewhere
    Avoiding groups of more than 10

How are they going to do that with construction? Construction depends on crews working together, bringing in deliveries from God knows where, and management consulting in somewhat close quarters (looking over charts, blueprints, schematics, etc) and then relaying that information to the crews, normally by gathering a group together.

But WILL they do it? Probably.

Leave a comment:

• jsmith11618
    replied
    Seems that maybe with a fairly large and sudden cut to their revenue stream, they may feel its more prudent to conserve cash and not spend more speeding up projects?

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied
    It's not a stupid question at all.

The majority of factories will have maintenance and construction crews work every holiday so why wouldn't DL do the same?

If I were maintenance/construction there, I'd expect to be working through it.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    It'd be interesting if crews of two could film videos in the nearly empty parks.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-17-2020, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Should Disney use this virus to speed up construction in the parks?

I wonder, should Disney should use this horrible virus as an opportunity to speed up construction work in the parks?

Maybe there is no way to have workers safely out there now,
    but IF there is
    then Disney could open their new attractions sooner, and the sooner they open new attractions,
    the sooner attendance will increase.

What do you think? (I know--probably stupid because as many as possible should be in our cave homes for at least a couple of months.)

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X