Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Disney use this virus to speed up construction in the parks?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Bring Matt Ouimet out of retirement to run the parks or at least be in charge of quality control.
    Matt is still executive chairman of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company.......
    By the way
    Cedar Fair
    is also about to open Knott's Berry Farm ,about the same time .....Disneyland re-open
    heard it on the News today.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Why is this such an earth-shattering question?...why is it such a dramatic question?
    Because I might not go till the summer of 2022 and I'd like:
    the 50th fireworks show,
    50th T-shirts,
    cleanliness (if it's like Disneyland's 50th),
    pursuit in perfection in repairing things that break down,
    6 CD collection,
    and a movie like the Steve Martin/Donald Duck movie on Main Street in the Abe Lincoln show lobby at Disneyland,
    revival of the original Horseshoe Revue show,
    etc.
    to all still be around in the summer of 2022.

Bring Matt Ouimet out of retirement to run the parks or at least be in charge of quality control.

Leave a comment:

• nickdean707
    replied
    Some good news on the construction front! Looks like "essential" construction is resuming at avengers campus and Runaway Railroad! I'm so relieved, as I thought they would shut down railroad all together cause of lack of funding. https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/disne...ssential-work/

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    I think the lack of construction is definitely based more on finance then safety. I see constructions crews out every time I go out to run the few arenas I do. I think Universal knows this is a chance to get all leg up on Disney and that is why they are taking the gamble and pushing forward.
    Its smart on Universal. Nintendoland is a must considering Disney by next summer will have a Marvel and SW land. Rumors also are Jurassic got some extra work done.
    So its exciting to get to go back to Universal and have a new ride (SLOP) and another ride with hopefully some major improvements

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    I think the lack of construction is definitely based more on finance then safety. I see constructions crews out every time I go out to run the few errands I do. I think Universal knows this is a chance to get a leg up on Disney and that is why they are taking the gamble and pushing forward.
    Last edited by Starcade; 05-08-2020, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    Profits are, of course, way down. . .
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/media...rus/index.html
    . . .BUT everyone expected that. Again, if Universal's construction crews are safely social distancing, they will be rewarded by guests if they have new, amazing attractions sooner while Disney just has some new higher prices.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    I wrote this after the article I linked in the post above:

. . . . Universal should not only continue building, but have two 7-hours-a-day crews.
    Universal could bring in their own clothes, changing areas & showers and try to keep everyone 6 to 10 feet apart. With cool T-shirt, sweatshirts, hard hats, masks, ubiquitous hand washing sinks & hand sanitizer stations, this (hopefully!!!) safe construction could make for a cool short video or series of videos. They could cut back to Snow White & Sleeping Beauty sleeping with cricket sounds.

It'd also be excellent long-term thinking if Universal didn't furlough its CMs, or at least did it 6 weeks after Disney does. Employees (& worker-supporting guests) would long remember that. And keep up the health benefits as (I think) Disney is doing. Universal should try to be like Costco/Starbucks/Trader Joe's - - a company that treats their employees better than their competitors do, and is then rewarded by customers who appreciate the better service.

It might be obvious, I don't know anything about construction besides that Walt's Admiral Joe Fowler was awesome. And I know less about epidemiology, so my suggestions might not be worth a churro---at Costco. (Actually better {braided!} & by the same company that makes Disneyland's, btw. I read that on Micechat.)

I shared an article in Micechat's Shanghi Disneyland section about how that Resort might might open up some things earlier than others.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    Here is an article just posted about this on Micechat.

https://www.micechat.com/257858-why-...ut-not-disney/

I liked the article and liked a few of the comments after it even more.

Leave a comment:

• 9oldmen
    replied
    Since the summer of 2021 might now be even more crowded with people who are hesitant to enter numerous packed crowds during this coming summer of 2020,
    do you, my fellow Disney park enthusiasts think WDW will still be celebrating their 50th anniversary in the summer of 2022?
    Why is this such an earth-shattering question? The 25th celebration ran from October 1st 1996 to January 31st 1998.
    https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Walt_...th_Anniversary
    In other words, it was going on during...the Summer of 1997!! The 50th and 60th at Disneyland also both ran for about 2 years each (including 2 complete summers for each). So again, why is it such a dramatic question?

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    Originally posted by Stormy View Post

LOL. "In baseball or football first and last, the Bearcats kick the Wolfpack's ......never mind".

TBH I live 400 miles away now but when I was a student at Bonita HS (back when the Earth was cooling) we were unstoppable.
    My wife teaches at the University of LaVerne down the road from Bonita. Yes Bonita is a good school!

That said, one of the teachers there made national news when he was busted on "To Catch a Predator."
    https://dokich.blogspot.com/2006/01/...-predator.html

Now I don't want to end on that note, so I'll ask a question that hasn't been answered to my satisfaction on the less-visited WDW section:

Since the summer of 2021 might now be even more crowded with people who are hesitant to enter numerous packed crowds during this coming summer of 2020,
    do you, my fellow Disney park enthusiasts think WDW will still be celebrating their 50th anniversary in the summer of 2022?

I do, because Disneyland celebrated it's 50th in 2005 and 2006 & it was very successful, party because the then (outstanding!) Disneyland Prez. Matt Ouimet made Disneyland look better than ever, even fixing old things I didn't know had broken years ago like the Tiki gods outside the Tiki Room theater.

He even brought back the greatest & longest running Disney show of all time, Walt's Golden Horseshoe Review for a limited time!
    (If only Bob Chapek would bring back WDW's Diamond Horseshoe Review. He won't. Happy to bet on that.)

Also, since Walt Disney World opened in the October of 1971, the summer of 2022 will actually the WDW's 50th summer.

Stay healthy, everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    I predict we won't see the regular Haunted Mansion back until 2021 due the closure, the pending refurbishment and NBC.
    I'm not going to make any predictions on dates, but I think you're right that it's going to a while before the HM is back up and running. To be honest though, to quote Humphrey Bogart at the end of Casablanca, these matters don't really amount to a hill of beans given what's currently happening.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    I predict we won't see the regular Haunted Mansion back until 2021 due the closure, the pending refurbishment and NBC.

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    I can see that it's a good opportunity, but I just don't think there's a way to do it safely.

Maintaining 'social distance'
    Avoiding contaminating surfaces (and the air)
    Avoiding 'bringing in' the infection from elsewhere
    Avoiding groups of more than 10

How are they going to do that with construction? Construction depends on crews working together, bringing in deliveries from God knows where, and management consulting in somewhat close quarters (looking over charts, blueprints, schematics, etc) and then relaying that information to the crews, normally by gathering a group together.

But WILL they do it? Probably.
    Caltrans seems to have figured it out as freeway projects continue through this scare. USH has construction going on on their lot. City crews in LA continue to pave streets. DWP continues to tear up streets.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

So apparently these Bearcats challenge our Claremont High Wolfpack to various feats of strength, yet I have never heard of them and know not which city they represent. Forgive me, but they must not be very impressive.
    LOL. "In baseball or football first and last, the Bearcats kick the Wolfpack's ......never mind".

TBH I live 400 miles away now but when I was a student at Bonita HS (back when the Earth was cooling) we were unstoppable.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

I've been seeing construction crews out on projects where I live, too. Not a lot, but certainly not working on exempted projects. I think it's a shame.

I know Harvey Mudd well. Grew up in the area.

"Go Bearcats, beat the Wolfpack!!"
    So apparently these Bearcats challenge our Claremont High Wolfpack to various feats of strength, yet I have never heard of them and know not which city they represent. Forgive me, but they must not be very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Tapdawg
    replied
    Construction is allowed to be done during this time per the governor's mandates, it's probably Disney wanting to not spend any extra money they don't need to at this time - https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-exc...ial-needs/#top

" it exempts activity as needed to maintain continuity of operation of the federal critical infrastructure sectors, critical government services, schools, childcare, and construction, including housing construction."

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

Your post is more grown up than mine, and this is a "better safe than sorry" situation and according to this now 9-day old article, Disney has stopped construction:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-down-all.html

Still, there is a building being built on the campus of Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA.

This is a bit off track, but I read that Universal is now scheduled to re-open on April 19. Of course, that could be moved tp a later date.
    I've been seeing construction crews out on projects where I live, too. Not a lot, but certainly not working on exempted projects. I think it's a shame.

I know Harvey Mudd well. Grew up in the area.

"Go Bearcats, beat the Wolfpack!!"

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    I can see that it's a good opportunity, but I just don't think there's a way to do it safely.

Maintaining 'social distance'
    Avoiding contaminating surfaces (and the air)
    Avoiding 'bringing in' the infection from elsewhere
    Avoiding groups of more than 10

How are they going to do that with construction? Construction depends on crews working together, bringing in deliveries from God knows where, and management consulting in somewhat close quarters (looking over charts, blueprints, schematics, etc) and then relaying that information to the crews, normally by gathering a group together. . .
    Your post is more grown up than mine, and this is a "better safe than sorry" situation and according to this now 9-day old article, Disney has stopped construction:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...-down-all.html

Still, there is a building being built on the campus of Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA.

This is a bit off track, but I read that Universal is now scheduled to re-open on April 19. Of course, that could be moved tp a later date.

Leave a comment:

• N2dru
    replied
    Originally posted by pattimarie View Post
    I think it would take only one construction worker to test positive for the construction to be halted, so they may just be getting ahead of that and shutting it all down. They aren't immune just because they're not guests.
    I agree and unfortunately expect some projects to get scaled back from original plans.

Leave a comment:

• pattimarie
    replied
    I think it would take only one construction worker to test positive for the construction to be halted, so they may just be getting ahead of that and shutting it all down. They aren't immune just because they're not guests.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X