Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going forward

Beyond the question of when will Disneyland reopen, I want to discuss your thoughts on what life at the park may look like after it reopens. There has been talk that this will forever alter how we shop or interact with each other. Will people be more careful or reluctant to be in areas with mass crowds? The economic impact is certain to be huge. Will people be able to afford to buy AP? Will people be able to afford to vacation and stay at the hotels, etc? How will Disney, the inventer of the switchback line, respond/alter their standard operating procedures? I personally don't think large crowds will be lining up the day Disneyland reopens. I expect attendance to be down for at least the 6 months after reopening. This of course is all speculation. What do you speculate?

Honestly, the truth is, eventually the virus is going to die and things will get better. There will be less and less coverage about it, and unfortunately, no-one will talk about the pandemic anymore and it will be on to whatever the next news story is at the time.

Then in another 5-15 years from now, a new pandemic will arise and the same situation will happen again.

This is based on history (H1N1, AVIAN, SARS, EBOLA, ETC).

The hope is that we as a society can use what we will learn from this to better help prepare for the next possible pandemic.

I believe we should have closed the country from incoming flights in January.

Anyways, I feel the parks will be fine eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by hbdad View Post
      Will people be more careful or reluctant to be in areas with mass crowds?
      Maybe for the first few weeks, but after that we will easily forget.

The economic impact is certain to be huge. Will people be able to afford to buy AP?
      There are reports that unemployment will reach 20 percent. Sure, it might not get that high, but this is going to lead to at least a world wide recession. It's going to take a long time to recover, just like it did after 2008.

Will people be able to afford to vacation and stay at the hotels, etc?
      This won't affect the rich, so the high end hotels will be full first. Then the lower priced hotels will start filling up after that.

How will Disney, the inventer of the switchback line, respond/alter their standard operating procedures?
      They will implement virtual queues where they can. The app reflects this change as of today.

I personally don't think large crowds will be lining up the day Disneyland reopens. I expect attendance to be down for at least the 6 months after reopening. This of course is all speculation. What do you speculate?
      It will take years for crowd levels to recover. It all depends on how big the recession/depression is.

Comment

Depending on how bad and long this goes on, attendance will be down overall for probably a year or maybe a few years. I expect it to be like after the last housing crash, the crowds were much lower for a few years. But I doubt Disney will change the way people will line up and things like that unless the media pressures them. Hopefully they will take out the blowing hand dryers/ germ factories they installed to save a buck. I also expect the price increases to stop for a while. They will probably run a lot of promotions to get the locals to show up on multi day discount tickets. When they first open back up lots of younger locals will show up. Young people think they are will live forever and don't worry about their health. I don't expect lots of out of town families to come though. Tourist traffic will likely be depressed for at least a year. Probably multiple years due to job losses.
        Last edited by tarheelalum; 03-19-2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
          Depending on how bad and long this goes on, attendance will be down overall for probably a year or maybe a few years. I expect it to be like after the last housing crash, the crowds were much lower for a few years. But I doubt Disney will change the way people will line up and things like that unless the media pressures them. Hopefully they will take out the blowing hand dryers/ germ factories they installed to save a buck. I also expect the price increases to stop for a while. They will probably run a lot of promotions to get the locals to show up on multi day discount tickets. When they first open back up lots of younger locals will show up. Young people think they are will live forever and don't worry about there health. I don't expect lots of out of town families to come though. Tourist traffic will likely be depressed for at least a year. Probably multiple years due to job losses.
          Well said, in fact, if it wasn't for the stable of APs who've already locked their money in, it would be even worse. Disneyland loves their APs and will need them now more than ever.

Someone posted a twitter picture that showed an AP Early Entry gate sign. I wonder if anyone knows anything about this?

​​​​​​https://twitter.com/thecalibae/status/1239381089384157184/photo/1
          Attached Files

Comment

Once there is a vaccine, it will be like another flu shot and people will return. I think as far as fear it will take a year or two of low numbers then back to normal. Looks at hurricane and tornado prone areas. Or vacations after 911. Look at California. We have disasters left and right and come back. I think people will use better hygiene though. More hand sanitizer and bathroom set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

Well said, in fact, if it wasn't for the stable of APs who've already locked their money in, it would be even worse. Disneyland loves their APs and will need them now more than ever.

Someone posted a twitter picture that showed an AP Early Entry gate sign. I wonder if anyone knows anything about this?

​​​​​​https://twitter.com/thecalibae/status/1239381089384157184/photo/1
              This is new. If I was a betting man I would say they make these lanes AP Early Entry then leave it staffed with only 1 CM.

In all seriousness, they know they're going to need APs to save the parks, so I expect we'll see more perks tossed in when the time comes (permanent Soarin' Over California, anyone?).

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

This is new. If I was a betting man I would say they make these lanes AP Early Entry then leave it staffed with only 1 CM.

In all seriousness, they know they're going to need APs to save the parks, so I expect we'll see more perks tossed in when the time comes (permanent Soarin' Over California, anyone?).
                I could also see an AP early entry gate since out of town guests on multi day vacations will be few and far between for some time to come.

Comment

How will virtual queues be any better? You're just moving the people from one place to another. Instead of standing in line for a ride, people will be in shops or restaurants? People will be congregating in walkways? That's no better. I really hope they don't move to virtual queues.

Comment

We learned the hard way. Since our first visit with our girls 6 years ago after a hiatus where my daughter then wife then other daughter all contracted a rotavirus while staying site we have always been hyper conscience of cleanliness every visit. We love Disneyland but also know it's about as germ free as a Burger King Ball Pit. We are constantly washing our hands and hand sanitizing throughout the day avoiding hand rails and touching anything we don't have to. We wash our hands after Buzz and Toy Story etc. When we get home everyone immediately hits the shower and all clothes go into the wash. In the last 6 years of going near monthly we've yet to catch another cold, flu or bug from the parks. It's much easier now with our girls being pre-teens then it was when they were lil kids. Now it's hard for them to touch anything with their hands both seemingly mounted to their phones lol!

Comment

We're social creatures with unfortunately short memories. Things will return to normal in a relatively short time.
                      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

One thing that really worries me is, according to another very popular fan site (albeit WDW-centric), this idea floated about to remove large crowds by eliminating major live shows like parades and fireworks, as well as suspend character meet-n-greets. I really hope that never happens.
                        My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                        2. Pirates of the Caribbean
                        3. Splash Mountain
                        4. Mad Tea Party
                        5. Peter Pan's Flight
                        6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
                          One thing that really worries me is, according to another very popular fan site (albeit WDW-centric), this idea floated about to remove large crowds by eliminating major live shows like parades and fireworks, as well as suspend character meet-n-greets. I really hope that never happens.
                          I can definitely see this happening right at first. I think when the Parks reopen it will be just the attractions and food to start with. But that may be more for fiscal reasons than crowd-gathering.
                          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

I can definitely see this happening right at first. I think when the Parks reopen it will be just the attractions and food to start with. But that may be more for fiscal reasons than crowd-gathering.
                            The way they phrased it, they mentioned eliminating live shows, which I take to mean will be permanently implemented. Which means that fireworks and parades will be eliminated for good.

3. Splash Mountain
                            4. Mad Tea Party
                            5. Peter Pan's Flight

Comment

Thank God Disney just spent a boatload of money on a new parade, or I might venture a guess that a certain unnamed executive would use this as an excuse to severely reduce entertainment much longer than he needed to.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

Thank God Disney just spent a boatload of money on a new parade, or I might venture a guess that a certain unnamed executive would use this as an excuse to severely reduce entertainment much longer than he needed to.
                                I meant that they will not just temporarily reduce entertainment, but eliminate it for good. Do you really think that in the wake of the situation, they would permanently eliminate live entertainment that requires large crowds (i.e., fireworks, parades)?

3. Splash Mountain
                                4. Mad Tea Party
                                5. Peter Pan's Flight

Comment

I meant that they will not just temporarily reduce entertainment, but eliminate it for good. Do you really think that in the wake of the situation, they would permanently eliminate live entertainment that requires large crowds (i.e., fireworks, parades)?
                                  I think they make way too much money to justify it right now. Much like sports/entertainment more generally, there's too much money to be earned to result in them permanently closing/ending anything large scale. Fantasmic was originally supposed to be a temporary show and has now become a park staple. From things like that to the theater shows at the Hyperion, I think their value is just so high that at worst we'll see only a temporary closure/reduced capacity in the interim.

Comment

Let's not forget, however, that I have a feeling that the parks (indeed, all so-called "nonessential" places like bars, restaurants, gyms, sports, schools, etc.) will remain closed for 18 months, which is how long it would take for a vaccine to come out. That would put the opening of everything at September/October of 2021!

3. Splash Mountain
                                    4. Mad Tea Party
                                    5. Peter Pan's Flight

Comment

The way they phrased it, they mentioned eliminating live shows, which I take to mean will be permanently implemented. Which means that fireworks and parades will be eliminated for good.
                                      Nah. That won't completely happen. But they have been 'scaling back' on entertainment recently haven't they? So I guess I can see them using it for a reason to scale back a bit more. But eliminate entirely, I doubt it.

Looking back from my childhood onwards (talking late 50s here), there have always been fireworks but there haven't always been 'shows'. I remember Golden Horseshoe Revue, Carnation Plaza (Firehouse 5 + 2?), and the marching band. And then later on in the '60s the bands and dancing at TL Terrace. I don't even remember daily parades as a child, just the Xmas parade. Not sure when all the show stuff we have now started up in earnest. So while I don't think it'll happen, DL has invested way too much at least in F! and WoC, I think they'd be just fine without 'shows'.

I'm not really a show person (except fireworks) so I admit I'm seeing this from a 'slanted' perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Nah. That won't completely happen. But they have been 'scaling back' on entertainment recently haven't they? So I guess I can see them using it for a reason to scale back a bit more. But eliminate entirely, I doubt it.

Looking back from my childhood onwards (talking late 50s here), there have always been fireworks but there haven't always been 'shows'. I remember Golden Horseshoe Revue, Carnation Plaza (Firehouse 5 + 2?), and the marching band. And then later on in the '60s the bands and dancing at TL Terrace. I don't even remember daily parades as a child, just the Xmas parade. Not sure when all the show stuff we have now started up in earnest. So while I don't think it'll happen, DL has invested way too much at least in F! and WoC, I think they'd be just fine without 'shows'.

I'm not really a show person (except fireworks) so I admit I'm seeing this from a 'slanted' perspective.
                                        Well, I'm not really a "show" person, either, but I do like the fireworks and the Electrical Parade (and Paint the Night, too, for that matter), so I'm concerned that the fireworks could be eliminated forever. It certainly would make the surrounding neighborhood happy. I'm not necessarily speaking for myself, but for everyone who does like parades.

3. Splash Mountain
                                        4. Mad Tea Party
                                        5. Peter Pan's Flight

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X