Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... how is everyone doing during all this?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... how is everyone doing during all this?

We've obviously been talking about the parks, but, now are y'all doing? Hope everyone is healthy and safe. I've been recovering from surgery so I've accidentally been practicing social distancing since the end of December, and my wife started working from home this week.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

I'm doing fine, thanks for asking!

nDH (non-Disney Husband) and I are laying low. But we're retired so we're pretty much always laying low!

Leaving next week for 4 days in Anaheim. nDH is going down for his sport/hobby and the dog and I are tagging along. I'll be sitting in the trailer watching TV and surfing the net.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Other than the extreme inconvenience of most stuff being closed, I haven't been affected at all.

I'm building my 'retirement home' out behind my house, I'm just about done framing it, so I've taken some time off work and stayed home most of the time.

Comment

I am fine, but I am surrounded by men who don't think coronavirus is such a big deal. My son was supposed to have hip replacement but that has been cancelled. Now he is back to smoking again, which is definitely not a good thing. I wish he would go get a job. A lot of places are looking for help. I listen to the news a lot, and I like knowing how this whole thing is being handled. My doctor is out sick, so I hope she does not have coronavirus.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

I’ve been living this way for the past 3 weeks already on lockdown for medical reasons too. I’m healthy, I just cant drive for 3 months due to medication (vertigo) so I’ve been working from home, Our whole company switched over last Monday to work from home. Luckily we have a house with a yard and vegetables, zen time and I’m glad I had my surgery last year. I would have been screwed if I had to have it next month. They have to cancel all that stuff because there are not enough doctors/ventilators to deal with what would have been coming if the state had not shut down.

Look at the graph:
          https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
            I am fine, but I am surrounded by men who don't think coronavirus is such a big deal. My son was supposed to have hip replacement but that has been cancelled. Now he is back to smoking again, which is definitely not a good thing. I wish he would go get a job. A lot of places are looking for help. I listen to the news a lot, and I like knowing how this whole thing is being handled. My doctor is out sick, so I hope she does not have coronavirus.
            Barbaraann , they just don't listen do they?

Even after last night's 'shelter in place' order from our Governor, nDH is STILL planning on us taking the trailer to Anaheim!!! He says that since we're 'dragging our home with us' it's 'no different' than staying inside here. I can't make him understand that he will be exposing himself to others at his 'hobby' (it takes place outdoors) and then exposing me! He insists they'll be practicing 'social distancing'. I'm hoping they shut the hobby site down.

I expect my son to hear today that his workplace has been shut down. And his employers aren't going to be the type to continue to pay them, either.Oh
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Today, on the news, they were reporting that Chase bank has closed all their lobbys. Sure their drive throughs and ATMs are all open, but I never use those. First, and foremost, is the fact that I do not drive. I returned from my bank, which is US bank, and the tellers that told me that they may soon be closing their lobbys as well. I told my husband he better learn how to do his own banking, because I am not doing it anymore. If you use an ATM, you cannot get any small bills. They just deal in 20's, which is ridiculous. My husband will have to learn how to drive through the bank, which he has never had to do. The 10 person rule should not apply to bank lobbys, in my opinion.

Some grocery stores have instituted special hours for seniors only. However, most of those are 6 am until 8 a.m. Some of those are every day, and some of those are just one day a week, like Target. The thought is nice, but not always practical for some seniors, who do not drive. Or who do not wake up early.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

So far we are ok here. Enough supplies to wait this thing out. Still trying to get a refund on my trip for next week from the site that I used to book it from.
                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                My company had a special night at the park
                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                  So far we are ok here. Enough supplies to wait this thing out. Still trying to get a refund on my trip for next week from the site that I used to book it from.
                  I had a hotel booked for next week through a big online travel agent. I messaged the hotel directly several times, told them I couldn't get through to the TA. Today I finally received an email from the travel agent with a link to cancel the reservation for a refund. Keep on it, biggsworth. Good luck.

Comment

Today, on the news, they were reporting that Chase bank has closed all their lobbys. Sure their drive throughs and ATMs are all open, but I never use those. First, and foremost, is the fact that I do not drive. I returned from my bank, which is US bank, and the tellers that told me that they may soon be closing their lobbys as well. I told my husband he better learn how to do his own banking, because I am not doing it anymore. If you use an ATM, you cannot get any small bills. They just deal in 20's, which is ridiculous. My husband will have to learn how to drive through the bank, which he has never had to do. The 10 person rule should not apply to bank lobbys, in my opinion.

Some grocery stores have instituted special hours for seniors only. However, most of those are 6 am until 8 a.m. Some of those are every day, and some of those are just one day a week, like Target. The thought is nice, but not always practical for some seniors, who do not drive. Or who do not wake up early.
                    That's really rough! Although I admit I haven't been in a bank lobby for months and only went then because it was a transaction that required paperwork.

Online banking really isn't that hard. I fought it for years, but now I love it and it was suprisingly easy to learn.. Admittedly it doesn't do much good as far as getting cash, but we've also been advised NOT to handle cash as much as possible due to the potential to spread contamination.

Comment

Working from home. At least my pet is enjoying the extra attention.

Whiteness and Peter Cottontail
                      Last edited by whiteness; 03-20-2020, 01:36 PM.
                      Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

I myself do online banking. Most of my bills are paid online. I check my balances, and transactions daily. I transfer money online. My husband is a hold out. He still writes a lot of checks, and I am then sent to the mail box to mail his bills. He works from home, and his salary has direct deposit. Our Social Security money is direct deposited. We live in a different world for sure. However, there is a small % of the population that wants to take care of their daily necessities with cash, rather than with a debit card. I don't use a debit card, except for my Target Red Card. This won't last forever, this "Stay at Home" order that was just put in effect today in Illinois, but hopefully we will all survive.
                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Despite my workplace having one confirmed case of COVID-19, we are still required to come in and work because we are "an integral part of the healthcare system". Only difference is now, everyone is calling in sick so I get to do their work, too. Oh, and I get a mask and gloves.. the same stuff I've always worn.

At home, nothing much has changed. I'm usually a hermit whose buried in Poke'mon or some other game, or watching Disney+ so my home life isn't affected much at all. Wife and I have lots of food and supplies to get through this for a good while.

So far the biggest changes I've had to come to terms with are; no Disneyland and no frivolous shopping for Transformers action figures. Not too bad, all things considered, especially since Animal Crossing just came out to keep my wife and I busy. Annoyed with work since they seem to be putting profit over people, but I just hope they remember those of us who actually came in when they asked during this whole debacle (spoiler alert: they wont).
                          "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Yep it has been hard on me as well......life have change over night.......
                            But learn to love more....try be encouraging to others...
                            and pray not just for my self ,but for all others.......
                            We in this altogether !
                            Last edited by Eagleman; 03-20-2020, 05:12 PM.
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                              Yep it has been hard on me as well......life have change over night.......
                              But learn to love more....try be encouraging to others...
                              and pray not just for my self ,but for all others.......
                              We in this altogether !
                              Stay safe and healthy my friend! Wishing the very best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

Stay safe and healthy my friend! Wishing the very best for you.
                                Aw......Thank You......again a Blessing
                                You like wise.....My Friend
                                Yep......This new time we live in , also has become a learning time for me
                                in way of caring for other's ,
                                gives us room to patiently live and love !
                                We all in this Together

Last edited by Eagleman; 03-20-2020, 09:14 PM.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Well, our trip to So Cal is off. I knew it was coming but nDH just felt all would be well and we were still going. The RV park is closed and nDH's hobby site is closed. The GOOD news is that we had already stocked our trailer for the trip. So there is food and other necessities in case one of us needs to truly self-isolate. Or if nDH and I start really driving each other crazy.

Comment

It used to be when a person sneezed, someone nearby would say, "BlessYou." Now, that does not happen. It, instead, causes a multitude of reactions. Dirty looks, accusing words, fleeting footsteps in the opposite direction. I am watching the morning news, and they are reporting that anyone that has been sneezing because of seasonal allergies should probably stay in doors. I, myself, seem to be allergic to all of these cleaning products that are be used in great amounts. My bank, for one. So if I find myself sneezing, I try and do it so nobody nearby even notices. Hard. Very hard. If I need to go grocery shopping, I will try and get in, and get out. My husband always does that. He was at Target yesterday, and said there were a lot of people there. Maybe the next few days will see less and less people out, as most people should finally be prepared for a time away from Grocery shopping.
                                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

It used to be when a person sneezed, someone nearby would say, "BlessYou." Now, that does not happen.
                                      It always made me feel uneasy when people blessed my sneezes. It felt weird to have to thank people for a random blessing over a stray particle of pollen or the after effects of drinking beer (for some reason, it often makes me sneeze.)

But if anyone needs a blessing after a sneeze, it's now.

But only if they remember to cover their face before they do.
                                      Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

I've been feeling a little under the weather lately and I don't know if its serious or hay fever. There are lots of wild flowers out now due to all the rain we have been having where I live so its probably my seasonal allergies. Normally I would not give it a second thought, but with all of the doom and gloom we have to deal with now on a daily basis, I've become hypersensitive to things and I don't like feeling that way. Hopefully its nothing but if I'm still feeling this way monday I might call my doctor's office and see what they say.

But I'm a strong believer in the power of your thoughts and how they effect your health from prior experience, so I'm going to think positively but stay away from people for a few days just incase. I hope everyone here is well and stays that way!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X