Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Disney decided to go ahead and charge me for our passes afterall?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Disney decided to go ahead and charge me for our passes afterall?

Being out of work that $165 is a pretty big sum of money, especially what with the park being closed for the foreseeable future.

I thought they were suspending payments?

I think that the email they sent to all pass holders said that they would continue with the monthly payments.

Comment

Disney is still charging people for their APs.

Here is a copy/paste of the email they sent out.

"Annual Passholders on the monthly payment program will remain on the current payment schedule and continue to make their scheduled payments. These Annual Passholders will have their Passport expiration date extended based on pass type and level of access due to the impacts of the closure, and will not be required to make any payments during that extended period."

You can see a screenshot of the email in this post: https://www.micechat.com/254056-impo...osure-updates/

Comment

Disney: In these trying times, we know how concerned you are with your financial well-being, don't worry. We're going to take your money now in exchange for bonus time* later you likely won't use because you'll have to play catch up on bills/backpay/keep a roof over your head in the middle of a New Depression.

*- Bonus time will be limited to reservation week days only when the park is operating in "Recovery Mode" and only open from 11am-6pm with several rides still closed for deferred maintenance.

Comment

They keep charging you. Your pass will be extended. You signed a contract. You must abide by it now. You can stop the payments and then your pass will be cancelled and you can try in the future to get another one. Good luck though.
          "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Pilot View Post
            Disney: In these trying times, we know how concerned you are with your financial well-being, don't worry. We're going to take your money now in exchange for bonus time* later you likely won't use because you'll have to play catch up on bills/backpay/keep a roof over your head in the middle of a New Depression.

*- Bonus time will be limited to reservation week days only when the park is operating in "Recovery Mode" and only open from 11am-6pm with several rides still closed for deferred maintenance.
            Spot on. If unemployment and the recession deepen, and the COVID-19 crisis continues in waves for the predicted 18 months, I think there's little doubt that many APers will be forced to default on their contracts. "Pay us now and use your AP in the future" makes no sense if Disney can't predict when its parks will reopen.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

I agree they have the right to do this, but they shouldn't. I think if they thoroughly thought it through, they could have done it differently. These are not normal times. People shouldn't have to choose between food and a pass that doesn't even work right now. I paid in full, and accept that I'm stuck with that--but I think I'd have trouble with monthly payments right now. I paid in full because I had it then; many of those who have monthly payments didn't have that money then, and I don't know how they're going to have it now if they lose their jobs!

Comment

I don't mind it. The reason why more and more companies are getting their customers to go on subscription/payment plan type programs isn't just to get the people to buy something they really can't afford, but because spacing out and guaranteeing their income stream is really good for corporate budgeting and planning. C19 is actually turning out to be the epitome of this. When essentially *all* revenue for Disney has dried up basically overnight - Theme Park, Cruises, Movie, Merchandise - having these 10s or 100s of millions of $ of AP payments coming in every month is lifeblood to them. Remember, Disney is insanely profitable, but they have also gone staggeringly in debt, to the tune of $50 billion(!) based on the idea that these revenue streams were somehow guaranteed never to dry up. And now that they have, those 100s of millions of AP and streaming payments is all they have.
                "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                  I don't mind it. The reason why more and more companies are getting their customers to go on subscription/payment plan type programs isn't just to get the people to buy something they really can't afford, but because spacing out and guaranteeing their income stream is really good for corporate budgeting and planning. C19 is actually turning out to be the epitome of this. When essentially *all* revenue for Disney has dried up basically overnight - Theme Park, Cruises, Movie, Merchandise - having these 10s or 100s of millions of $ of AP payments coming in every month is lifeblood to them. Remember, Disney is insanely profitable, but they have also gone staggeringly in debt, to the tune of $50 billion(!) based on the idea that these revenue streams were somehow guaranteed never to dry up. And now that they have, those 100s of millions of AP and streaming payments is all they have.
                  I like to think this is how they can keep paying CMs for longer than just 2 weeks.

Comment

Also, one shouldn't purchase an AP if they can't pay for it if they lost a job. Just my opinion.
                    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                      Also, one shouldn't purchase an AP if they can't pay for it if they lost a job. Just my opinion.
                      The same holds true with any luxury item.

Comment

Most people can't pay for much anything if they lose their job. Even if they have the cash to buy the AP outright, once they unexpectedly lose their income things change very quickly and monies are redirected.
                        Last edited by tarheelalum; 03-22-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

Most people can't pay for much anything if they lose their job. Even if they have the cash too buy the AP outright, once they unexpectedly lose their income things change very quickly and monies are redirected.
                          This is especially true for the monthly payment APs, I suspect the main reason they're on monthly payments is because they don't have the $$$ upfront to buy a pass outright therefore losing their source of income will hurt them even more.

In my opinion, Disney continuing to charge the monthly payments and extending to expiration date reeks of corporate greed. Yes, I realize they 'need' the $$$ but it would have been far better to suspend the payments until the parks reopened.

Comment

my income is ruined...
                            a friend paid for my pass this year

so my pass is covered but...
                            difficult to think of enjoying DL when I am looking at losing my home...

I understand the complications of suspending payments...

so many would have issues of dates of closure, restoration of charges...

and still early days in this crisis...

maybe our multi millionaire CEOs will find a way to appreciate those who have supported the parks all these years

but hopefully not with a sipper-cup event that makes it impossible to purchase food without standing in line for two hours

what am I thinking... the current regime are the sanfu masters...

will we find more hand rails covered with duct tape and nonfunctional towel dispensers?
                            or will Disney step up to the challenge to appreciate us more than ever?

for some reason it brings up a cm experience.. I ordered a jalapeno cheese pretzel (right? it has been a while) at that shop top of mainstreet... walked away and bit into it, it was cream cheese...
                            I went back and told the cm I had asked for a... Jalapeno cheese... she wanted my receipt... I hadn't expected to return the pretzel so I hadn't taken it, she had just served it so me, but insistent she wanted the receipt ... eventually a superior stepped in and they handed me another pretzel, I stood at the counter and broke it open, also cream cheese not jalapeno... more discussion, I took a plain pretzel
                            now, if I had been in charge I would have refunded the guest money and given them the plain pretzel.... cm was still defending herself as I left, "she didn't have a receipt" bigger issue, how many people have the given the wrong pretzel to and argued with that day...

the tomorrow land cart, stood in line for 12 minutes for two pretzels... the cm, took 7 minutes collecting payment from one customer... other cm at the cart, standing watching
                            seemingly no need to speed service up

next time, looked at the map, the pretzel cart supposed to be in frontier land isn't where it is shown, a cm told me, it is on the other side of the walk..
                            it wasn't there either...

now I bring snacks from home
                            no more arguments, and I can be in line for an attraction with friends instead of making them wait for me, I like the pretzels, but not enough to argue about it
                            I was having some irritation from a medication, the pretzels were a perfect solution, and tasty...

no, purchasing a pretzel is not a big deal

but it is a good model of the results of current management

Comment

20% of the country is losing their jobs due to COVID and it's speculated that unemployment could rise to 33% because of forced quarantines and business shutdowns. Try to have a little compassion, I know that's hard when you've got everything figured out.

People could pay for their passes when they had jobs- and it's not like they quit them, they were forced home. That's a pretty big distinction for you to miss.

Unless you're just choosing to be a cold jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
                                Being out of work that $165 is a pretty big sum of money, especially what with the park being closed for the foreseeable future.

I thought they were suspending payments?
                                You purchased an annual pass with a one time fee. You chose to finance your fee over 12 months, but the fee is still a one-time charge for an annual pass. If you purchase a car and have it financed, you still owe your monthly payment regardless of the state of your vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                  ...In my opinion, Disney continuing to charge the monthly payments and extending to expiration date reeks of corporate greed. Yes, I realize they 'need' the $$$ but it would have been far better to suspend the payments until the parks reopened.
                                  Spot on. As the COVID crisis worsens and it becomes apparent that the parks will be closed longer than a few months, I'd be surprised if Disney didn't suspend payments. Even with their notorious greed, I doubt they'd be so short-sighted as to risk losing their customers in the future by being hardassed about the AP contract.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

If the parks aren't open, they shouldn't be charging. Period.

Comment

Here is the other thing I could see happening. Let’s say you have an AP. It expires August 31. Disney suspends payments while the park is closed. Park reopens Sept 1st. Your pass is now expired. But you didn’t pay for the last 5 months. Are you going to be happy that you need to renew your pass immediately or are you going to say the Disney should comp you the 5 months that you couldn’t use you pass with a 5 month extension. Or will you be happy with a 5 month extension and with 5 payments still due. I can see people wanting both. No payments and free extension for their inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                                        Honestly, this is kind of the reasoning I had in the back of my mind. Don't get me wrong, Disney is not a mom and pop business that will go under if they stop making profit for even a year, much less a few weeks or months during an emergency inwhich most companies are losing profits, but most aren't as big as Disney. The biggest "risk" is that big share holders, no longer pulling into profits equal to the gdp of small countries, decide to through a tantrum at current board members and higher management heads.

But as it comes to lower level workers, having revenue not directly connected to the parks but subscriptions means they can risk profits and continue playing some portion of workers pay, and have a skeleton crew work and maintain things. I'm not thrilled to not be able to go to parks. But $35 loss on my part isn't as bad as some workers having little to nothing.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X