Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no maintenance at DLR?

I have heard that for now, during the closure, landscaping is not being maintained. I'm not sure about buildings and attractions.

I guess I don't know the rules in California about businesses. I know if the business is not "essential" (which DLR is not), it should not be open. But does that mean buildings, equipment and landscaping should not be maintained (if doing so can be done with proper sanitation and social distancing)? It seems that businesses should be allowed to perform maintenance. And if they are, Disney should be doing it. It would probably cost more to bring things up to standards after weeks or months of neglect, than just maintaining it all along. And it especially does not makes sense at the moment, since Disney is currently paying salaries of cast members anyway.

A side note: Construction work continues at the new Rams & Chargers stadium, with new sanitation and distancing rules.
    Last edited by mey; 03-26-2020, 10:01 AM.

Originally posted by mey View Post
    I have heard that for now, during the closure, landscaping is not being maintained. I'm not sure about buildings and attractions.

I guess I don't know the rules in California about businesses. I know if the business is not "essential" (which DLR is not), it should not be open. But does that mean buildings, equipment and landscaping should not be maintained (if doing so can be done with proper sanitation and social distancing)? It seems that businesses should be allowed to perform maintenance. And if they are, Disney should be doing it. It would probably cost more to bring things up to standards after weeks or months of neglect, than just maintaining it all along. And it especially does not makes sense at the moment, since Disney is currently paying salaries of cast members anyway.

A side note: Construction work continues at the new Rams & Chargers stadium, with new sanitation and distancing rules.
    Construction only at Disneyland has been reported as stopped. Not verified I believe.

Rams/Chargers stadium is in Los Angeles County and construction is still going on.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

They're performing the necessary upkeep for landscaping. Keeping grass cut mainly, but for the flower beds and foliage, they maybe holding off on replacing them or keeping them up to date, understandably.

Comment

Correct, here in California it is a little strange.

We are not on an actual lockdown where you can't leave your house and get in trouble if you do like some people think.
        At the moment it is voluntary for the most part. In some Counties they are actually warning "non-essential" businesses to close or face fines that have not complied.

Construction and roads maintenance is still going on with the suggestion of social distancing. Landscape and farming is still happening.

I am sure Disney is just doing enough to keep maintenance up and prevent deterioration of the park for one to comply with the request of the state but also to protect the employees and themselves.

Remember,at this point we are not trying to contain or stop the virus as that window is already shut. We are now just trying to slow the spread enough to keep the healthcare system from imploding.

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
          They're performing the necessary upkeep for landscaping. Keeping grass cut mainly, but for the flower beds and foliage, they maybe holding off on replacing them or keeping them up to date, understandably.

Doesn't the landscaping get replaced seasonally?
          Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Doesn't the landscaping get replaced seasonally?
            I think a lot of the flower beds do, but there is still quite a bit of 'permanent' landscaping and shrubbery to be maintained. If they were able to do so, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't 'stripped' the 'replantable' flower beds rather than try to maintain what was last planted there.

Disney must have a HUGE nursery and greenhouses somewhere. Hopefully they aren't having to let all those plants & trees die or go to seed. But, safety first and people are more important than plants.
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I think there was a nursery backstage where GE Land is now. They also have off site ares where they grow stuff, or they probably have a lot of contracts with people who grow, I remember reading about certain Hollywood nurseries that grow plants for films etc, but also sell to people to plant. You know like fully mature trees etc. that are thousands of dollars to buy. They could buy the flower bed flowers at Home Depot probably, but the exotic stuff would be some specialty place or their own. I’m sure someone here has more first hand knowledge.

Comment

I talked to a couple buddies this week in Facilities and Security.

The execs in TDA are still on property - but everyone below Vice President level has to stay home. The skeleton Security team that is still on property daily finally got word to the execs that the cats and ducks and rodents were taking over and the cats/ducks were getting very hungry. Circle D CM's were allowed back into the park to restock feeding stations for cats and they are trying to come up with a plan to keep the ducks and other birds alive. A skeleton Circle D crew has been working at the ranch in Norco to care for the horses and animals. A small Custodial crew is trying to keep the pavements and walkways as free from duck and bird droppings as much as possible. The park is not pretty.

Horticulture has allowed a skeleton crew to remain to perform basic landscaping tasks to prevent things from getting overgrown. But no new planting is taking place.

Facilities is still MIA from almost everything at DLR. Attractions are powered down and just sitting there silently and no actual maintenance is being performed. All refurbishments and construction projects remain silent and abandoned. All restaurants and pantries have been emptied of all foodstuffs. All stores and stockrooms are locked. Cast cafeterias and support services are closed - including break room vending machine restocking - so Security and Custodial CM's have to bring their own food onto property if they work a shift.

The businesses on Harbor and Katella are really suffering and most are already closed and it's not known how many will be able to reopen when Disneyland reopens.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post

The businesses on Harbor and Katella are really suffering and most are already closed and it's not known how many will be able to reopen when Disneyland reopens.
                  Sounds like this is Disney's big chance to buy out the businesses surrounding the park so that they can do whatever the heck they want with those properties. For example, buy out all of the businesses on Harbor Blvd. that were protesting the Eastern Gateway project because they feared losing business. Buy them out, tear down, and use that whole area for a huge new parking garage and a transportation hub and security check site, similar to what they did over at Mickey and Friends. Build the pedestrian bridge over Harbor Blvd, and maybe build a new tram route just like the Mickey And Friends tram route.

Maybe there's an even room for another Disney hotel! Think big.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Fonzi Brown View Post

Sounds like this is Disney's big chance to buy out the businesses surrounding the park so that they can do whatever the heck they want with those properties. For example, buy out all of the businesses on Harbor Blvd. that were protesting the Eastern Gateway project because they feared losing business. Buy them out, tear down, and use that whole area for a huge new parking garage and a transportation hub and security check site, similar to what they did over at Mickey and Friends. Build the pedestrian bridge over Harbor Blvd, and maybe build a new tram route just like the Mickey And Friends tram route.

I doubt it. Unless they use secret 3rd party purchases again, they can't be buying properties left and right now with the pandemic going on.

The company just attained $6 Billion in debt offering, just to keep the company running. It would look bad (and unethical) on the company to be wasting money with unnecessary purchases.

Ironically, with the CEO change, Disney stock crashing, movies on hold and the parks closing, Disney is the one at risk for a hostile takeover. And as crazy as that sounds, it nearly happened back in the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Fonzi Brown View Post

I can't even begin to imagine the bad press Disney would get if they bought up a bunch of things that closed because of a pandemic. They have a hard enough time with their image at times, especially when it comes to how they deal with the city of Anaheim without seemingly profiting off the misery of others.
                      "Have I gone mad?"
                      "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

The park is not pretty.
                        Sad to hear, but I think that's the way it has to be right now. Disneyland is not an "essential" business, and they should be allowing as many people as possible to stay away and stay home.

I'm actually a little surprised to hear that executives are still on site.

Comment

The execs in TDA are still on property - but everyone below Vice President level has to stay home. The skeleton Security team that is still on property daily finally got word to the execs that the cats and ducks and rodents were taking over and the cats/ducks were getting very hungry. Circle D CM's were allowed back into the park to restock feeding stations for cats and they are trying to come up with a plan to keep the ducks and other birds alive. A skeleton Circle D crew has been working at the ranch in Norco to care for the horses and animals. A small Custodial crew is trying to keep the pavements and walkways as free from duck and bird droppings as much as possible. The park is not pretty.

Horticulture has allowed a skeleton crew to remain to perform basic landscaping tasks to prevent things from getting overgrown. But no new planting is taking place.
                          I’d love to see pictures of abandoned Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanadros View Post

That's what I'm thinking. It almost sounds like Disneyland is turning into Nara Dreamland or perhaps even the Epic Mickey video game coming to life. I wonder if Adam the Woo wants to risk being banned again to investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by mey View Post

I stopped reading after "I have heard..."
                              "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post

I can't even begin to imagine the bad press Disney would get if they bought up a bunch of things that closed because of a pandemic. They have a hard enough time with their image at times, especially when it comes to how they deal with the city of Anaheim without seemingly profiting off the misery of others.
                                This. It would look really bad, and the further bad PR would come out if it turns out Disney took out debt and received some of the bailout money only to turn around buy out "mom and pop" owned stores with the tax payer's dime.

I'm still not so sure too why everyone seems so in favor of Disney owning all that property....A third gate is probably never coming to California, if it was both Star Wars and Marvel would already be there. Expansions in WDW show that there is a cap on the number of guests travelling to these parks and adding more tends to cannibalize other parks' attendance. Shanghai Disney pretty much killed any chance of a third gate, as it probably took away a lot of tourists that would otherwise eventually come to California for the parks. That and many of these businesses offer opportunities to visit the parks at reasonable rates. Paradise Pier's average $400 a night rack rate is absurd when you consider the quality of the property, why would we want more of these when smaller and perfectly acceptable hotels provide equitable or better service for less? I won't deny Disney's parks are premium product for premium price but outside of a few hotels their accommodations are absurdly priced for what you get. Oh well the love of corporations I guess.

Comment

The skeleton Security team that is still on property daily finally got word to the execs that the cats and ducks and rodents were taking over and the cats/ducks were getting very hungry.
                                  Never mind Covid-19, this sounds like a health hazard in and of itself. The thought of it gives me the willies.

Comment

Westsider--I hope you are right about them feeding the cats. I had actually thought about that. It's cruel to the cats and the other animals they would have to eat.

BTW, my homeowners association is still having our landscapers coming. I saw them today. Definitely not adhering to the 6 foot apart rule.

Comment

Facilities is still MIA from almost everything at DLR. Attractions are powered down and just sitting there silently and no actual maintenance is being performed. All refurbishments and construction projects remain silent and abandoned. All restaurants and pantries have been emptied of all foodstuffs. All stores and stockrooms are locked. Cast cafeterias and support services are closed - including break room vending machine restocking - so Security and Custodial CM's have to bring their own food onto property if they work a shift.

Any proof to these statements?

Comment

Originally posted by Zanadros View Post
                                        As would I. I find it somewhat odd that they really haven’t released something by now. I remember in the days after 911 seeing a picture in the newspaper of a closed Disneyland in the middle of the day. Not sure why they are so reluctant to release such images these days, unless they maybe don’t want us to see the park overtaken by weeds, ducks, cats, and rodents.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X