Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will it afford the prices?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • will it afford the prices?

    do you think that the prices for park tickets will remain the same or would they raise the prices to help cover the cost that they lost when they closed? do you think if they lower the prices, it would encourage more people to come to the park and that would help them cover the loses?
    http://youtube.com/belushi87
    http://www.jaymisworld.webs.com
    http://www.10PinkElephants.tumblr.com


  • #2
    I think prices will stay the same for awhile, then the increases over all (tickets & APs, food, 'special offerings') will start and will be a small percentage higher than they 'need to be'. To jack prices up right when this is over would be one of the worst PR moves in the history of 'stupid things to do'.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Stormy View Post
      I think prices will stay the same for awhile, then the increases over all (tickets & APs, food, 'special offerings') will start and will be a small percentage higher than they 'need to be'. To jack prices up right when this is over would be one of the worst PR moves in the history of 'stupid things to do'.
      I agree but as we all know, greed often overrules smart business decisions.........especially Disney managements greed.........

      Comment


      • #4
        I think this quarantine is going to leave a long lasting if not permanent effect on consumer behavior. As we come out of it some businesses will continue to struggle as people are learning they can still survive with much less. I don’t think Disneyland will lower prices but they probably will keep prices the same for quite some time.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think they will limit the number of guests allowed in the parks, for the protection of guests and cast members, and will necessarily raise prices in order to do this.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think when they get through this they will keep the prices the same and also roll out a ton of promotions to get people in the park.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

            DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pips View Post
              I think they will limit the number of guests allowed in the parks, for the protection of guests and cast members, and will necessarily raise prices in order to do this.
              Raising prices won't do it, especially with all these APs getting extended.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post

                Raising prices won't do it, especially with all these APs getting extended.
                I was clumsy in how I said that. What I mean is that I think they will actually hard and fast limit the number of people allowed in the parks, and that they will raise prices so that they don't lose too much by doing so. Not sure how the APs would factor in, but there are probably a lot who haven't renewed during this dire period, so maybe the number of AP holders has dropped a lot.

                Of course, this is just wild speculation on my part, but this situation is also really wild.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pips View Post

                  I was clumsy in how I said that. What I mean is that I think they will actually hard and fast limit the number of people allowed in the parks, and that they will raise prices so that they don't lose too much by doing so.
                  How do they decide who gets to go in and who doesn't? Advance reservations?

                  Originally posted by Pips View Post
                  Not sure how the APs would factor in, but there are probably a lot who haven't renewed during this dire period, so maybe the number of AP holders has dropped a lot.
                  .
                  Even if someone's AP expired today, guess what? They would still have 2 free weeks to go to the parks once they reopen. You don't think they'll want to? And the further in to the situation we go, the more APs will get extended, and for longer periods.
                  Last edited by 9oldmen; 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                    How do they decide who gets to go in and who doesn't? Advance reservations?
                    I'd assume by lowering the number for max capacity. I don't think they'd try to pick and choose who gets in, just that they'll limit the number overall. I don't think they'd make any kind of announcement that they're limiting numbers, that would cause a stampede for sure. They'd just announce capacity has been reached and close the turnstiles. Capacity numbers are supposedly a well kept secret, although I think we've all seen various numbers reported from various sources.

                    I was wondering about this myself, if they'll lower capacity just at first then raise it bit by bit to allow operations to 'ramp up' rather than just opening to 'full steam ahead'. Personally I think it would be wise.

                    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I worked at the resort right when DCA opened, and then we had 9/11. No one was traveling or spending money on vacations. It left a huge financial hole for DCA that it only recently came out of in the last few years. The impact of coronavirus is going to be far greater and I can’t even fathom what’s going to happen to the parks. Hell, at least Disney has tons of other income to buffer. Think of the small amusement parks around the country that are probably done for after this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pips View Post

                        I was clumsy in how I said that. What I mean is that I think they will actually hard and fast limit the number of people allowed in the parks, and that they will raise prices so that they don't lose too much by doing so. Not sure how the APs would factor in, but there are probably a lot who haven't renewed during this dire period, so maybe the number of AP holders has dropped a lot.

                        Of course, this is just wild speculation on my part, but this situation is also really wild.
                        I agree with this completely. I also expect that Disney will become, as many had hoped, a by-reservation-only park. It will be expensive, but it will be a premium experience because crowds will be low to keep everyone safe. I don't like this idea under normal circumstances, but nothing is "normal" anymore.
                        "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

                          I agree with this completely. I also expect that Disney will become, as many had hoped, a by-reservation-only park. It will be expensive, but it will be a premium experience because crowds will be low to keep everyone safe. I don't like this idea under normal circumstances, but nothing is "normal" anymore.
                          Then they better figure out how to refund me for 4 months of my Premier Annual Pass that I can't use, and won't be able to without getting a reservation. (since mine expires in July). Also, all these people on the payment plan who are still being billed? They better refund them as well. They're not going to re-open the parks until they can run them pretty much the way they did before.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

                            I agree with this completely. I also expect that Disney will become, as many had hoped, a by-reservation-only park. It will be expensive, but it will be a premium experience because crowds will be low to keep everyone safe. I don't like this idea under normal circumstances, but nothing is "normal" anymore.
                            I highly doubt this. It would require a massive restructuring of their AP program, how could you tell APs that had just renewed prior to these events that they now can't just show up whenever they want, or tell day guests, sorry we are at capacity because we have to let APs in first; it would be an absolute PR disaster. Remember too that it's not just DLR that they need to worry about its DLR and WDW, and subsequently refunding tens of thousands of APs following that news after making no money in the parks, sports, cruise, and film sector for what could be a couple months would push the company's liquidity well into the red. They can't afford this, Disney is big but they can't devastate their bottom line like that and survive long term.

                            I can see a slow roll out with LOTS of promotions, they are not only going to be battling the reticence to travel due to illness but also the long term economic fallout of this pandemic. People just won't have the extra cash to spend on trips. A couple sources including Lutz cite the AP numbers at around 30%, a good regular source of income; but if lots of those APs are strapped for cash they aren't going to spending on food and souvenirs when visiting, and many are likely to not renew. Add in the fact that tourists will not be keen to travel and making the experience more expensive or more mentally taxing, a total reservation system, will more than likely drive guests away. They need numbers even if it's not "safe" they need their hotels full, their good neighbor hotels full, and APs coming back.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I hope you guys are right. I actually hate the idea of a reservation system. But I just don't see how they can let in the same number of people following this event. It could be that demand is low for Disney due to job loss and fear, and that would keep crowds low for awhile. If that is the case, then you are right, promotions would probably be in place instead if a price increase. But with large numbers of people STILL not taking this seriously, I just feel that people are going to want to go wherever they can following the lifting of safer at home measures.
                              "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post

                                Then they better figure out how to refund me for 4 months of my Premier Annual Pass that I can't use, and won't be able to without getting a reservation. (since mine expires in July). Also, all these people on the payment plan who are still being billed? They better refund them as well. They're not going to re-open the parks until they can run them pretty much the way they did before.
                                Oh...there is a lot of flexibility written into the fine print on the APs, but I'm sure that whatever unfolds, Disney will be kind to their AP holders and do right by them. They are a valued part of the mix. No doubt about that.

                                I hope this all works out happily for you and other AP holders, 9oldmen.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                                  I hope you guys are right. I actually hate the idea of a reservation system. But I just don't see how they can let in the same number of people following this event.
                                  Easy. If stay at home restrictions are lifted and if there are no rules against large numbers of people in an area, Disneyland would go back to business as usual. There is no reason to restrict numbers. If for example, the government were to still require no congregations of more than 500, but they made an exception for theme parks, which I suspect they would, then its back to business as usual. Because here's the reality, if people have to continue to remain 6 feet apart, or if the government prohibits large groups congregating and does not make an exception, then Disneyland can't open. They're not going to open so that only 500 people or 1,000 people or 2,000 people can go inside. If Disneyland was previously letting in 50k people a day, do you really think you'd be safe, or the virus won't spread if they only let in 25k? No. So it's either back to business as usual or they'll have to remain closed. Also, the solution is not simply making everyone wait in a virtual queue because that just makes people stand near each other in some place other than a ride line.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by hbdad View Post
                                    ... So it's either back to business as usual or they'll have to remain closed. Also, the solution is not simply making everyone wait in a virtual queue because that just makes people stand near each other in some place other than a ride line.
                                    Exactly. The expense of operating a theme park can't be fed on a diet of limited crowds.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                                    - Walt Disney

                                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

                                    "It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Pips--They could raise prices and limit visitors at first. I don't believe that would ever be their long term strategy--I just think the odds favor them making more money with more people in the gate. Increases hotel room sales, merch sales, food sales, etc. If they don't restrict numbers but raise prices to hopefully limit visitors--well, that has never worked in the past and won't work now. They know it, and we know it--because every time they have raised prices in the past--attendance went up. Even with the low attendance for GE opening--it did not immediately follow a price change. People didn't come for lots of reasons, but price increases wasn't one of them.

                                      I think they'll want to get back to normal--crowds and all--or even better given the lower attendance since GE. It might require them having soft openings to get back up to speed. Someone predicted that it would take 5 weeks after all restrictions were lifted to hire employees and get rides in working order. There's also vendors to consider--some might have gone out of business. But this is overall an unpredictable situation, and there may be a new normal after this that none of us could see coming.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        AP's are the only thing that have provided any income to parks at this point. If anything, this makes the AP program even more valuable than it was before, because an AP makes a commitment to Disney in advance, essentially a presale. Businesses are going to be VERY protective to presale customers like APs in the future.

                                        I would not be surprised to see a variety of new enticements and programs to get people to sign up for an AP.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X