Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DL/WDW "Closed until further notice"

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News DL/WDW "Closed until further notice"

    I figured there would already be a thread on here. But it's official now, DL and WDW are 'closed until further notice'. We all knew it would happen, but it's hard to see it in print.


    https://www.micechat.com/255266-brea...sure-extended/
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  • #2
    The fact they were "planning" to open in mid April is ridiculous. We are just at the START of the pandemic. Things are going to get much worse very soon. Realistically I don't see the parks opening until much later in the year. I'm thinking fall, if things are somewhat back to normal.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
      The fact they were "planning" to open in mid April is ridiculous. We are just at the START of the pandemic. Things are going to get much worse very soon. Realistically I don't see the parks opening until much later in the year. I'm thinking fall, if things are somewhat back to normal.
      Indeed. Appears the US is basically out of control at the moment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
        The fact they were "planning" to open in mid April is ridiculous. We are just at the START of the pandemic. Things are going to get much worse very soon. Realistically I don't see the parks opening until much later in the year. I'm thinking fall, if things are somewhat back to normal.
        Exactly. The question for Disney and its employees is "when are we 'back to normal'?" The experience of Asian countries shows that the only thing that halts the COVID-19 spread is a three-part strategy of mass-testing of the population, aggressive tracking to locate and confine everyone who had contact with anyone who tests positive, and a near-total lockdown of the general population. As soon as a country successfully lowers its infection rate and tries to return its economy to normal, the virus quickly starts another wave.

        The United States is near the bottom of the list when it comes to controlling the spread. We have no national program of mass-testing, no mass tracking, and have lockdowns only in certain areas of the country. Although the virus' spread may dip in summer, it can be expected to rebound in fall and winter.

        The strategies that control COVID-19 are in direct conflict with the needs of theme parks, which are inherently expensive to run and are profitable only if they pack in the crowds. The theme park industry is between the proverbial rock and a hard place.
        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-27-2020, 09:30 PM.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

        - Walt Disney

        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

        "It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

        Comment


        • #5
          Until the US coast to coast, all 50 states + Alaska and Hawaii all do a lock down, test in large numbers as said above, it will just keep spreading, its being handled so poorly and the leadership at the federal level is poor at best. I fear for my family in the US now, really concerned. I am in Canada and we are doing a much better job here so far, our infections per million are considerably lower, and the spread in my province seems to be slowing down a bit, but we are still being told 1-2 months possibly longer, so I have no idea how anyone thinks the US will get over this quickly at this rate.

          I have doubts it will slow with warmer weather, it was summer in Australia and it didn't seem summer slowed it down much if any.

          I'd be surprised at this point if things are back to normal before mid summer, possibly longer.

          I would imagine Disney would eventually need to stop paying employees and do lay off's.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, as of today 3/28 you can book a reservation at WDW beginning June 1. Not sure about Disneyland Resort, though.
            An Aspiring Walt Disney Imagineer.

            Comment


            • #7
              Some people are speculating that Major League Baseball may be starting up sometime in June to July. If this is true I am sure the same would go for Disneyland.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                Some people are speculating that Major League Baseball may be starting up sometime in June to July. If this is true I am sure the same would go for Disneyland.
                I can't see that happening. There are too many places with MLB teams that are hotbeds of Covid19 and lockdowns may last there for months. They won't start up the season until ALL the MLB cities have been given the 'all clear'.

                And I think that the lockdowns are going to be rolled back in stages with 'mass gatherings' being the very last to be OK'd, and only after day to day life has resumed long enough to show there won't be any return of the spread of the disease.

                I think we're being given 'place holder' dates rather than just being told 'season cancelled'.
                Last edited by Stormy; 03-29-2020, 05:29 AM.
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stormy View Post

                  I can't see that happening. There are too many places with MLB teams that are hotbeds of Covid19 and lockdowns may last there for months. They won't start up the season until ALL the MLB cities have been given the 'all clear'.

                  And I think that the lockdowns are going to be rolled back in stages with 'mass gatherings' being the very last to be OK'd, and only after day to day life has resumed long enough to show there won't be any return of the spread of the disease.

                  I think we're being given 'place holder' dates rather than just being told 'season cancelled'.
                  Where do we have lockdowns at this point? I am not aware of anywhere in CA that there are lockdowns.
                  "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                    Exactly. The question for Disney and its employees is "when are we 'back to normal'?" The experience of Asian countries shows that the only thing that halts the COVID-19 spread is a three-part strategy of mass-testing of the population, aggressive tracking to locate and confine everyone who had contact with anyone who tests positive, and a near-total lockdown of the general population. As soon as a country successfully lowers its infection rate and tries to return its economy to normal, the virus quickly starts another wave.

                    The United States is near the bottom of the list when it comes to controlling the spread. We have no national program of mass-testing, no mass tracking, and have lockdowns only in certain areas of the country. Although the virus' spread may dip in summer, it can be expected to rebound in fall and winter.

                    The strategies that control COVID-19 are in direct conflict with the needs of theme parks, which are inherently expensive to run and are profitable only if they pack in the crowds. The theme park industry is between the proverbial rock and a hard place.
                    40 countries have reported at least one death. The US ranks #20 out 40 countries that have reported a death with a 1.76% death rate. To say we the US is near the bottom of the list can be interpreted many ways. Although we have the highest amount of infected (we are a large country), our death rate is lower than those of smaller countries. We must be doing something right.

                    Stats here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tes-worldwide/
                    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Disneyland website has park hours beginning April 10. I know, before I get ripped apart here, it can change.
                      "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Stormy View Post

                        I can't see that happening. There are too many places with MLB teams that are hotbeds of Covid19 and lockdowns may last there for months. They won't start up the season until ALL the MLB cities have been given the 'all clear'.

                        And I think that the lockdowns are going to be rolled back in stages with 'mass gatherings' being the very last to be OK'd, and only after day to day life has resumed long enough to show there won't be any return of the spread of the disease.

                        I think we're being given 'place holder' dates rather than just being told 'season cancelled'.
                        They point to a champions league soccer game being the main vector for the Italian spread of the virus.....it’s going to be a long time before mass gatherings will be responsibly allowed again. They may push them early because hey the economy but cramming 50k people into tight confines at this point in time or in the near future is just asking for secondary spreads to start.

                        America looks okay now but that’s also because large parts of the country aren’t testing too much. Louisiana is now headed to a disaster along with a few other cities. New York is probably just the start of America’s metropolis’ problems sadly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          TacAlert no need to rip anyone posting on here. Look at the trending of the statistical curves. Infection confirmations and deaths are trending upward at exponential rates. There is at least a 2 week delay for stay at home orders to have an effect. I honestly dont care when disney opens again at this point. Just want my friends and family make it through this alive. Until the curves flatten, cant even begin so say when theme parks will reopen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                            Disneyland website has park hours beginning April 10. I know, before I get ripped apart here, it can change.
                            The system probably didn't delete the dates (which I'm sure they are aware of). Disney did post that the parks are closed until further notice and CMs will get paid until the 18th. We probably won't see them opening until May or June if that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RobRbmcky View Post

                              The system probably didn't delete the dates (which I'm sure they are aware of). Disney did post that the parks are closed until further notice and CMs will get paid until the 18th. We probably won't see them opening until May or June if that.
                              Actually, up to a couple days ago, the dates on the website were from April 1 on, so seeing it says April 10, that is what they are hoping for. It means they did update the site.
                              "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by indiginerd View Post
                                TacAlert no need to rip anyone posting on here. Look at the trending of the statistical curves. Infection confirmations and deaths are trending upward at exponential rates. There is at least a 2 week delay for stay at home orders to have an effect. I honestly dont care when disney opens again at this point. Just want my friends and family make it through this alive. Until the curves flatten, cant even begin so say when theme parks will reopen.
                                I agree with you, and I am not ripping on anyone. I meant towards me. I could care less when DL opens. I don't like to see false info posted that's all.
                                "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by TacAlert View Post

                                  Where do we have lockdowns at this point? I am not aware of anywhere in CA that there are lockdowns.
                                  Are we arguing semantics here? Maybe "lockdowns" is not the right word, but we are under Safer at Home guidelines from our Governor and Mayors. Seems to me that "Safer at Home" is just a nicer way to order people to stay home (which I am not complaining about btw. I'm thankful we are staying home during this time). Eric Garcetti has said he would turn off the power for non-essential business that stay open with the exception of restaurants who do pick up and/or delivery only. State Senator Kamala Harris has asked the federal government to close national parks in the state. The state parks are already closed. Whatever you want to call it, that seems pretty locked-down, does it not?

                                  People are speculating Disney will open, that baseball will begin. It's all just that - speculation. No one knows, not even Gavin Newsom because he's waiting to see how things shake out. But I guarantee he's the one who will make the final call on when non-essential businesses reopen. I recommend anyone who wants to know when things in CA are going to open up to watch his press conferences.
                                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

                                    Are we arguing semantics here? Maybe "lockdowns" is not the right word, but we are under Safer at Home guidelines from our Governor and Mayors. Seems to me that "Safer at Home" is just a nicer way to order people to stay home (which I am not complaining about btw. I'm thankful we are staying home during this time). Eric Garcetti has said he would turn off the power for non-essential business that stay open with the exception of restaurants who do pick up and/or delivery only. State Senator Kamala Harris has asked the federal government to close national parks in the state. The state parks are already closed. Whatever you want to call it, that seems pretty locked-down, does it not?

                                    People are speculating Disney will open, that baseball will begin. It's all just that - speculation. No one knows, not even Gavin Newsom because he's waiting to see how things shake out. But I guarantee he's the one who will make the final call on when non-essential businesses reopen. I recommend anyone who wants to know when things in CA are going to open up to watch his press conferences.
                                    Yes I am arguing semantics. We are not under lockdown. We are being asked to stay at home which many are. Garcetti would be committing a felony if he ordered water and power to be turned off. He is just making a threat. I just don't like bad information being put out and then people believe it. We are not locked down. You cannot be arrested or fined for leaving your house. That's all I am saying. Not trying to argue. But for arguments sake, what happens if a non essential business does open?
                                    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      I’m glad it’s not opening in April, that would’ve been foolish on their part to open back up so early when there isn’t even a cure yet, or something of the sort.
                                      Last edited by Reimondo; 03-30-2020, 02:36 PM.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by TacAlert View Post

                                        Yes I am arguing semantics. We are not under lockdown. We are being asked to stay at home which many are. Garcetti would be committing a felony if he ordered water and power to be turned off. He is just making a threat. I just don't like bad information being put out and then people believe it. We are not locked down. You cannot be arrested or fined for leaving your house. That's all I am saying. Not trying to argue. But for arguments sake, what happens if a non essential business does open?
                                        If we are on the case of semantics.....Garcetti would not be committing a felony for shutting water or power off to a business. Once a state or city has declared a state of emergency mayors and governors have sweeping powers including the ability to pass virtually any ordinance that relates to the safety or common good of the constituents. This can include curfews with arrest as the penalty for breaking them, rationing of supplies, and more. In the American government the Federal branch has very little power, but in situations such as these local state and municipal governments have a ton of leeway.

                                        IF they wanted to the govt could put all of California under strict curfew with arrests for breaking said curfew and strict limits on purchasing anything online or at a store tomorrow morning, and it would all be very much so legal, they just might not be re-elected

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X