Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] DLR May Have To Reopen Without Parades, Spectaculars, Or Major Entertainment

Hi you guys!! I hope you are all super healthy and staying safe!!!

Remember me??? I joined this amazing community a year ago to spill the tea on how my drunk managers at the Abbey were tryna reel in some of my hunky hourly parade peeps by telling all about the new parade headed to Disneyland called Magic Happens! HR Scandal woot woot!!! But isn't Magic Happens an amazing spectacle and totally worth it?!?

I got some new news from the same type smart sources but its not nearly as good news as last year. But this pillow talk is shocking!!!

DLR Entertainment has been told to get ready for DLR's reopening later this year by putting into hiatus any major entertainment that would put thousands of our beautiful Guests into close quarters. What that means is that Fantasmic! and WOC would be dark and all parades would be on hiatus too. Hyperion Theatre would be closed so no Frozen. Fantasyland Theatre also would not open with the park reopening so no Magical Map. Disney Jr. Dance Party @ DCA also would stay closed when the park reopens. No shows at Fantasy Faire. No dueling pianos at Golden Horseshoe. Yada yada, you get it now probly.

Fireworks are still unknown cause DLR Entertainment bosses want to try doing Fantasy In The Sky again but not have any elements on MSUSA to keep the crowds spread out around the park instead of clumped together on the street. TDA bosses know they gotta do something for our beautiful Guests so nightly fireworks with no MSUSA or Castle elements could be the one big thing we do get. But no GSO and no designated viewing areas.

DLR Entertainment peeps are also working on some new ideas to keep some shows in the park when it reopens but it would be very small stuff or things that have no showtimes in the App and keep moving. So instead of the DL Band performing set times at the Train Station or Castle Forecourt they'd just keep marching and keep moving through the park without stopping in order to prevent crowd from forming. Also part of this is that budgets are gettin SLASHED TO THE BONE thru at least the end of this year and so TDA can do their part by cancelling most of DLR Entertainment's budget plan.

Budget for 2021 fiscal year is due by July only 90 days from now and 2021 budget is lookin super sketchy and cheap for both DLR and WDW Entertainment depts. It gonna be tight for a couple years once the parks finally can reopen.

First goal here is to get the park open this summer on a shoestring budget but still obey the relaxed social distance rules that would still be in place then. Maybe some shows get added back by Halloween but if virus kicks up again next winter we could cut any shows we had added back in the fall to play nice with cutey pie Governor Gavin up in Sacramento and show that we are modifying the operation so DLR doesn't have to close again next winter if virus cases pick up again.

Big Time Goal is to reopen DLR and still be able to perform Fantasmic!, parades, WOC, Frozen, and all the rest. But DLR Entertainment has been asked to mock up plans to reopen the park without staging any major entertainment and not use any theaters or designated seating or standing areas for any small shows that still exist. Stay tuned and cross your fingers that doesn't happen but it's definitely a possibility for how the park is going to be able to reopen this summer!!!

Sorry the news isn't better guys but I knew you'd want to know what I know. Lets hope we don't have to do this and can reopen as normal!!! Stay healthy and safe you guys!!

Sounds like Chapek’s dream come true.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
      Sounds like Chapek’s dream come true.
      More like a management nightmare: What are they going to do about the shoulder-to-shoulder seating in rides?
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

More like a management nightmare: What are they going to do about the shoulder-to-shoulder seating in rides?
        You could easily do a thing where you limit the number of people on ride vehicles. Like at Pirates you only put two per row instead of four, or you leave an empty row open between each row with guests.

You'd also need to think that before we got to this current situation we had the CDC and others saying don't be in confined groups of more than 250 people or don't be in confined groups of more than 50 people. Then that number got cut to 10 and that's where we are currently. But when things reopen they may say don't be in groups larger than 250 people at a time. That would obviously mean you can't perform Fan! or WOC or a parade for thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder - but you could still load a boat at Pirates with 20 people or put 2 people in each Doom Buggy or 12 people in a jeep at Indy or 8 people in each transport at Rise, etc.

You can also do things to remove tables and seating at restaurants to provide more space and limit the number of guests allowed inside a store like every grocery store in America is now doing.

It kind of makes sense that TDA may need to mock up a scenario where the parks can reopen this summer but they can't encourage people to gather by the thousands in tightly confined spaces like Fantasmic, parade route, Hyperion, and others. So say goodbye to entertainment for now.

Comment

I would be happy to see the nightmare of castle-centric firework shows go extinct. For all other shows and parades, maybe they’ll finally let those who wish to, make reservations to attend a particular day when shows and/or parades are featured.
          Last edited by Werner; 04-08-2020, 01:58 AM. Reason: Syntax

Comment

well, the reservation I had for the river belle premium seating to view fantasmic is no longer in my passes. None of my other reservations have been removed(yet)

Comment

First goal here is to get the park open this summer on a shoestring budget but still obey the relaxed social distance rules that would still be in place then. Maybe some shows get added back by Halloween but if virus kicks up again next winter we could cut any shows we had added back in the fall to play nice with cutey pie Governor Gavin up in Sacramento and show that we are modifying the operation so DLR doesn't have to close again next winter if virus cases pick up again.
              I'm sorry, but what? They think the park will open in the summer? Just yesterday Gavin Newsom said the peak is coming mid-May and that the curve is lengthening. That means the cases that come after the peak come for a longer time. Say into July or August. I don't see the park opening this summer. Also, why do people, in this case Disney, keep acting like Australia and South East Asia don't have cases? If the "goes away in summer and comes back in winter" theory were true, there'd be no cases in those parts of the world.

As for seating at restaurants being spread out, Disney is going to need to create host and hostess jobs even for quick service restaurants to ensure that people with food get the few available seats and to enforce social distancing in the area.

It sounds like Disneyland is going to be literally terrible when it reopens. Between entertainment cuts and the reality of dealing with social distancing in the park, it's not going to be a leisurely day.
              "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I agree with Sun Bonnet we aren't going to see DL opening this summer. Ain't gonna happen. When the 'shelter' restrictions are lifted they aren't going to go 'Whoopee Californians! The lockdown is over, go head on and congregate in huge numbers!!!". Nope, it's gonna be a very slow roll out and large gatherings are going to be the LAST to be approved.

IMO DL won't reopen until this Fall either with or without entertainment. Anything else is a pipe dream. And I'd be glad to have some of what they're smoking in that pipe!
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

I'm sorry, but what? They think the park will open in the summer? Just yesterday Gavin Newsom said the peak is coming mid-May and that the curve is lengthening. That means the cases that come after the peak come for a longer time. Say into July or August. I don't see the park opening this summer. Also, why do people, in this case Disney, keep acting like Australia and South East Asia don't have cases? If the "goes away in summer and comes back in winter" theory were true, there'd be no cases in those parts of the world.
                  I don't think they are necessarily buying into the Trump bull about the virus magically disappearing in the heat. Rather, I think they are talking about the inevitable "second wave" of the virus after the current lockdowns are ended. If life started returning to "normal" this summer (like restaurants and movie theaters reopened) then the second wave would likely peak in the fall. The question is whether the second wave will require everyone to go back into lockdown. If it turns out that the virus was far more widespread than we think and many people just didn't get sick enough to get tested, then widespread immunity will probably mean we can keep hospitals from getting overrun with measures more limited than the current lockdown. I suspect Disney is playing for that second scenario.

As for seating at restaurants being spread out, Disney is going to need to create host and hostess jobs even for quick service restaurants to ensure that people with food get the few available seats and to enforce social distancing in the area.
                  I wonder if they will really bother with that. If they have to take it to that level, they probably shouldn't open the parks at all. It is literally impossible to avoid dense crowds. Limit restaurant seating, and watch the giant clot of people gathering at the door to the restaurant. Same with lines for the rides, especially if they slash capacity by sending out empty seats.

It sounds like Disneyland is going to be literally terrible when it reopens. Between entertainment cuts and the reality of dealing with social distancing in the park, it's not going to be a leisurely day.
                  I really think the only possible way to make this work (meaning reopening before widespread deployment of a vaccine) is to strictly limit attendance. They need to basically do the Galaxy's Edge previews for the entire resort. People will need advance reservations for a date and a time, with some people being forced to show up later in the day (to avoid crowds at the gates). Capacity will have to be limited to about 20K in each park, but staffing will have to be for a full park day. Anything short of radical attendance restrictions will probably mean getting blocked by the governor. I think Disney might prefer to just remain closed under those circumstances, because opening could mean losing money.

Comment

Not Sure If Anyone Here Listens To Jim Hill Podcast Call The Disney Dish Bandcamp, Last Month Jim Mention Something Similar Like This About Parades And Shows Going Dark After The Disney Parks Re-Opens Later In The Year.

Comment

Oh, and how shocked they'll be when they start having de jàvu of DCA 1.0! Crowds begin to reflect post-2001 and post-9/11 era times.
                      An Aspiring Walt Disney Imagineer.

Comment

Originally posted by alvernon90 View Post
                        I think Disney might prefer to just remain closed under those circumstances, because opening could mean losing money.
                        I don't think so. The longer they're close, the larger their overall debt is going to be.

Comment

If they have to limit daily capacity to around 20k or so, it's doubtful they'll even cover their operating costs, especially if they let APs enter at will. It's probably not worth opening the parks with limits like that. It could be worse for the company bottom line than keeping the place closed.

Or, rather than limiting seating at restaurants and rides, they may just end up closing major parts of the parks to avoid inflicting costs. Your favorite restaurant or ride may be closed for months and months, even if the park is open. Rides will most likely be evaluated on queueing capacity (keeping in mind the distancing rules) and a decision will be made as to whether the queue can hold enough people to keep the ride operating above the cost line. Most of the big E tickets, I imagine, would be OK, but if a ride can only hold a few dozen in the queue before spilling into walkways, then it's probably not operable, or covering costs. Virtual queuing may be our only hope.

As much as we bemoan the sharp pencil geeks in TDA and Disney corporate, we have to admit that the resort is a corporation, and if it's not profitable, it doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by rld275501 View Post
                            Oh, and how shocked they'll be when they start having de jàvu of DCA 1.0! Crowds begin to reflect post-2001 and post-9/11 era times.
                            This. While I'm sure there will be a big wave of visitors at initial open, when renewals come around and new vacations need to be booked a bare bones Disneyland with the same costs as before will probably be very unappealing in this climate.

The big worry with this is that the current management's ethos would be to hack away even more to keep it profitable, therefore making the parks even more miserable for people who renew their APs or still go through with trips. Watch ride times, I'm sure they will remain constant through this whole escapade even if the park attendance dips dramatically, they will just run bare bones number of vehicles, same with quick service. I would imagine that lots will have bare bones staff and still more will be closed.

Comment

this works on two fronts. Cost cutting and also precaution for proximity of guests. My only question is if they really care about guest safety how often will they disinfect attractions? Also how will they space out guests on the attractions. Because if they don't do these things then might as well have parades.
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

The problem with using bare bones staff for limited attendance is that it does not fix the crowds. Disney cuts staffing when they expect lower attendance so that the overall crowding situation stays similar. It does no good to limit attendance to 20K if people are still waiting 15 minutes in line to buy a churro. Slashing ride capacity or closing entire rides does not help because people who would be riding or waiting will instead be crowding the walkways.

The only way "social distancing" could possibly work at DL is if they allow 20K through the gates but staff the park like they expect 45K to attend -- plus extending hours to account for the fact that some people won't be allowed to arrive in the morning to spread out crowds at the gates. They could do it, but it would probably lose more money than keeping the parks closed, and they face the risk of shutting down in the fall anyway. If they did that it would probably be more about preventing their trained staff of CMs from going to find other jobs.

Comment

Well, the one item that I would quite enjoy would be to get rid of the Sleeping Beauty Castle fireworks traffic jam...way overdue for closure...it was a nice thing at first but let it be discontinued, please...I'm mixed on Fantasmic...I've enjoyed stopping to watch the show on occasions, but I'd like to be able to take a night cruise on the Mark Twain again...over at DCA, I would continue the shows in the Hyperion Theater...it's a dedicated place, no stopping anything in that area of DCA...and I've never been a fan of WOC, so that would be something I would not miss...I've made hotel reservations for Memorial Day weekend, first San Diego then Disneyland...I'm almost certain that I'll need to cancel those plans...
                                  I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                                    Well, the one item that I would quite enjoy would be to get rid of the Sleeping Beauty Castle fireworks traffic jam...way overdue for closure...it was a nice thing at first but let it be discontinued, please...I'm mixed on Fantasmic...I've enjoyed stopping to watch the show on occasions, but I'd like to be able to take a night cruise on the Mark Twain again...over at DCA, I would continue the shows in the Hyperion Theater...it's a dedicated place, no stopping anything in that area of DCA...and I've never been a fan of WOC, so that would be something I would not miss...I've made hotel reservations for Memorial Day weekend, first San Diego then Disneyland...I'm almost certain that I'll need to cancel those plans...
                                    I personally am not a huge fan of Fantasmic, but my family all really enjoy it. I along with the throngs of people that crowd for parades, WoC, and Fireworks appear to enjoy those shows too. Would I be gutted if they all came to a close? not necessarily. The big thing for me, you would be taking three major free events out of the park should those close, where's my added value for those losses? I would still be paying what I am now.....and my family's evenings would no longer have fireworks, WoC, or Fantasmic to enjoy.....at less cost for Disney and the same cost to me the guest; pretty sleazy to end all of those under the pretense that it's for health and safety and then turn around and charge me the same money.

There's a right way to do this and a cheap out way, and my faith in Disney is low enough that I think they will opt for the latter. Already looking at Knotts extending APs to the end of the following year........silence from Disney thus far on that end. You're in a business that is the exact antithesis to everything going on now; superfluous spending in a massive recession and large crowds touching everything in a health scare...entice people back

Comment

I've never liked pyro on the one and only, genuine, original Disney castle so I'm not disappointed or anything.

Any word on holiday overlays disappearing this year? If Haunted Mansion stays original for an entire year I might be tempted to go AP again.

Comment

I hear Disneyland Resort is going to open without Guests, because it's the "safe thing" to do.
                                        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                                        so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                        WDW Trips: '81
                                        EPCOT Trips: '93
                                        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X