Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Will Downtown Disney Reopen?

Do you think Downtown Disney could reopen before Disneyland?

No.

Comment

I think it will. Shanghai's version of Downtown Disney (Disneytown) has already reopened, despite the park still being shut.

If my memory is correct, DD never officially shut down. Disney only shut down the business they own(World of Disney, Disney Dress Shop, Disney Home, Marceline Confectionery, All Pin kiosks). All 3rd party businesses decided on their own, to shut down as well.

Comment

Kind of a click bait title don't you think? Title doesn't suggest you're actually asking a question.

Comment

I don't think so. Once the parks shut down all of the Downtown Disney businesses were dead. That's why they all decided to shut down so quickly. Either Disneyland opens back up first or everything opens at the same time. DTD businesses won't want to open up unless Disneyland is open since almost nobody goes there as a destination in and of itself.

Comment

I don't think so. Not sure the local family makes a trip to eat at over priced places that doesn't even offer free parking. My guess is they know the numbers and they figure out without the parks open there is no reason to stay open.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

More bad news for malls in general -- and especially the merchants of DTD who are stuck with Disney's high rents:

7 ways the coronavirus pandemic is going to change the way we shop

If and when DTD reopens, it would have been without the former AMC 12 -- even if there had been no plans to demolish it.

AMC Theatres has 'substantial doubt' it can remain in business

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-03-2020, 02:32 PM.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                If and when DTD reopens, it would have been without the former AMC 12 -- even if there had been no plans to demolish it.

“AMC Theatres, the world's biggest movie theater chain, said on Wednesday that it has ‘substantial doubt’ it can remain in business after closing locations across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic..... . . [/FONT]
                AMC is controlled by the Chinese conglomorate, the Wanda Group
                so at the risk of lowering my social ranking score, let them go bankrupt and sell their theaters to other chains.

Comment

Wrong thread
                  Last edited by Pips; 06-03-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

More bad news for malls in general -- and especially the merchants of DTD who are stuck with Disney's high rents:

7 ways the coronavirus pandemic is going to change the way we shop

I don't have any hard numbers on this, but I wonder if Disney's conscious effort in recent years has been to shift away from pure retail and more towards restaurants and experiences. I'm thinking of Black Tap and Ballast Point replacing things like Build-A-Bear and Ridemakerz, though one could argue those are pseudo-retail/experiences akin to things like the VOID and Splitsville. I wonder if the difference between food/experiences and retail will affect how Downtown Disney weathers the pandemic as everything begins to reopen.

The death knell for the West End of Downtown Disney I think came when AMC decided it was better to build a new, half-size theater in the Garden Walk than renovate the Downtown Disney one. After that it seems like Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone were destined to fail, even as half of Downtown Disney saw major renovations. It must say a lot about Downtown Disney's business that it was more efficient for AMC to build something entirely new a couple blocks away than update their existing movie houses.

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                    AMC is controlled by the Chinese conglomorate, the Wanda Group
                    so at the risk of lowering my social ranking score, let them go bankrupt and sell their theaters to other chains.
                    Unfortunately, it looks like the opposite would happen, with many positing that Dalian Wanda would be the most likely company to bail out AMC Theatres. However, their stake in the company is only 10% greater than Silverlake Partners, with neither owning outright majorities. I think Dalian Wanda still has control of the board, but I trust seasoned CEOs like Adam Aron, especially since I've been a loyal AMC customer since before Dalian Wanda ever got involved. With the Paramount consent decrees ending, however, there is some talk of studios having the cash to buy them out. Netflix and Amazon are both doing pretty well during the pandemic so they might be in a financial position to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                      I don't have any hard numbers on this, but I wonder if Disney's conscious effort in recent years has been to shift away from pure retail and more towards restaurants and experiences. I'm thinking of Black Tap and Ballast Point replacing things like Build-A-Bear and Ridemakerz, though one could argue those are pseudo-retail/experiences akin to things like the VOID and Splitsville. I wonder if the difference between food/experiences and retail will affect how Downtown Disney weathers the pandemic as everything begins to reopen.

The death knell for the West End of Downtown Disney I think came when AMC decided it was better to build a new, half-size theater in the Garden Walk than renovate the Downtown Disney one. After that it seems like Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone were destined to fail, even as half of Downtown Disney saw major renovations. It must say a lot about Downtown Disney's business that it was more efficient for AMC to build something entirely new a couple blocks away than update their existing movie houses.
                      Well said. Springboarding off of your post, I wonder if this might be an opportunity for Disney to re-imagine the mall experience for a post-COVID world. An opportunity for Disney to create a new, financially viable and virus-safe concept that takes the traditional shopping mall as its starting point and imagineers it into a new form -- much as the Company's founder did when he re-imagined the amusement park form into the theme park.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Well said. Springboarding off of your post, I wonder if this might be an opportunity for Disney to re-imagine the mall experience for a post-COVID world. An opportunity for Disney to create a new, financially viable and virus-safe concept that takes the traditional shopping mall as its starting point and imagineers it into a new form -- much as the Company's founder did when he re-imagined the amusement park form into the theme park.
                        I still believe that Disney will adjust and redesign the new hotel proposal they had before and demolish most of West Downtown Disney, the dead ESPN zone, theaters etc. They will make a West Coast version of Disney Springs using part of the old DD lot, all the old Lilo lot, and either dramatically retheme or replace the Paradise Pier hotel. They just have to reshape it to fit on a different footprint since they constructed the Pixar garage where the new hotel would have gone. Parking structures will replace the underutilized surface lots. The original luxury hotel proposal didn't share a lot of its design besides a few basic unthemed buildings that raised concerns (which would have likely taken on a theme later; seems the newer developments at WDW also started with theme less sketches then details were revealed through the construction, likely because of the increased competitive threat Universal offers there in their new resorts). The design was really a elevated building that had a fully open base - a gateway to the expanded shopping and entertainment area.

They spent a lot of time and money on that design - the recent events of COVID-19 and more will further galvanize Disney in future efforts to make Anaheim into a "bubble" and close off the Harbor side to pedestrian traffic requiring the hotels to enact shuttle service to a new transportation Plaza somewhere on Disney property in the heart of the new dining and entertainment options. It will probably be near the new hotel and current DD West - all in the name of safety and security. There's a reason the old Downtown Disney lot is currently just employee parking - part of that will likely be the future bus Plaza from the hotels on Harbor.

​​​​

Comment

The big sign that DTD will get a makeover in the eventual future, is that new President Potrock, oversaw the Disney Springs Renovation. I get the vibe that they will want to revamp the area sometime after parks reopen(Like this time next year).

EDIT: It also should be noted that in recent released concept art of the Disneyland DVC Tower, CG models of the businesses' buildings EAST of the Monorail were included in the concept art. All complexes WEST of the Monorail did not(ESPN, Rainforest, AMC).
                          Last edited by Spongeocto4; 06-06-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Do I think it could - YES! It could open TODAY if Disney & the merchants wanted. Will it? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post
                              Do I think it could - YES! It could open TODAY if Disney & the merchants wanted. Will it? Maybe.
                              I don't think Disney or the merchants have much of a choice at this particular point in time. Wishful thinking though.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

I don't think Disney or the merchants have much of a choice at this particular point in time. Wishful thinking though.
                                Why? Malls are allowed to open in OC. They could open if they wanted.

Comment

IMO-As it Stand
                                  There not a lot going on for Down Town Disney , to be open ,by it self !
                                  locals would rather go to others outlets in O.C.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

They spent a lot of time and money on that design - the recent events of COVID-19 and more will further galvanize Disney in future efforts to make Anaheim into a "bubble" and close off the Harbor side to pedestrian traffic requiring the hotels to enact shuttle service to a new transportation Plaza somewhere on Disney property in the heart of the new dining and entertainment options. It will probably be near the new hotel and current DD West - all in the name of safety and security. There's a reason the old Downtown Disney lot is currently just employee parking - part of that will likely be the future bus Plaza from the hotels on Harbor.

​​​​
                                    I don't get how closing off Harbor to pedestrian traffic helps protect guests from COVID-19. I also don't understand why they would waste money on a transportation plaza when those hotels are within walking distance. This plan seems excessive to me, given the footprint of the Anaheim parks area. Plus it is safer to walk with your group than sit in a crowded, and perhaps enclosed, shuttle if CV19 is the concern.
                                    "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

I don't get how closing off Harbor to pedestrian traffic helps protect guests from COVID-19. I also don't understand why they would waste money on a transportation plaza when those hotels are within walking distance. This plan seems excessive to me, given the footprint of the Anaheim parks area. Plus it is safer to walk with your group than sit in a crowded, and perhaps enclosed, shuttle if CV19 is the concern.
                                      Purely speculative, but the idea of closing down the Harbor Blvd entrance has been floated for years internally at Disney, especially after the original plan for the pedestrian bridge connecting the entrance way to the lot behind the total carousel motel fell through. The "on paper" reason appeared to be because without the bridge owned by Disney, they wouldn't be able to maintain and secure safe crossing from the lot to the resort, where else the "real" reason most suspected is because the current sidewalk and crosswalk is public land, and thus Disney doesn't really have the ability to deter street vendors, scalpers, protestors or buskers from setting up in that area. (Aswell as likely spiting many of the businesses across the way.)

With that in mind, I would assume that the situation with covid would be used as a reason to once again argue to simply close off that entry way, under the argument that Disney can't extend their sanitary and guest protection measures out into that crosswalk where people trying to get the attention of guests or otherwise harrass them. They would be arguing that by making everyone enter the resort area on approved Disney transit or their own cars, etc, and all entry ways would be after that basic "soft barrier" allowing Disney to better maintain sanitation and safety. Now whether that's 100% true is questionable, but I would be surprised if that logic was employed.
                                      Last edited by SkunkID; 06-06-2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

Purely speculative, but the idea of closing down the Harbor Blvd entrance has been floated for years internally at Disney, especially after the original plan for the pedestrian bridge connecting the entrance way to the lot behind the total carousel motel fell through. The "on paper" reason appeared to be because without the bridge owned by Disney, they wouldn't be able to maintain and secure safe crossing from the lot to the resort, where else the "real" reason most suspected is because the current sidewalk and crosswalk is public land, and thus Disney doesn't really have the ability to deter street vendors, scalpers, protestors or buskers from setting up in that area. (Aswell as likely spiting many of the businesses across the way.)

With that in mind, I would assume that the situation with covid would be used as a reason to once again argue to simply close off that entry way, under the argument that Disney can't extend their sanitary and guest protection measures out into that crosswalk where people trying to get the attention of guests or otherwise harrass them. They would be arguing that by making everyone enter the resort area on approved Disney transit or their own cars, etc, and all entry ways would be after that basic "soft barrier" allowing Disney to better maintain sanitation and safety. Now whether that's 100% true is questionable, but I would be surprised if that logic was employed.
                                        I think it would very much so depend on who the council is currently in Anaheim. In terms of the city, closing that entrance is a disastrous loss.

Not only would businesses on that on that side of the resort take a substantial hit the shutdown would also increase road traffic in the area immeasurably. Imagine if all those resorts were forced to run non stop shuttles all day everyday to the other side of the resort.....it’d be a nightmare. DLR is nothing like WDW, the parks are smack in the middle of a city and the logistics of entering it should probably reflect that.

It all depends on the power cycle. Sometimes Anaheim realizes it actually holds all the power, since Disney can’t just pick up and walk away they are stuck there, and other times Disney flexes it muscles and politicians bow to its will, especially ones that received hundreds of thousands on dollars indirectly in campaign financing.

It will probably happen at some point, and the overall guest experience of the ten thousandish of daily good neighbor hotel will massively suffer and Disney won’t give a crap.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X