Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be interesting to see when the parks reopen if attendance is limited to keep crowd levels down (social distancing) and if masks are required. And will furloughed employees return to their jobs or will Disney have to train a whole new generation of workers. I'm still booked for Sept. We shall see.
    My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

I’m also not really a fan of much of the big entertainment in the parks. I generally skip parades, F! and have never seen WOC. The excess congestion, people camping out to find a good place to view it all, and the lack of seating for most of it has never felt like it actually fits well anywhere.

I prefer the roaming entertainment (Dapper Dans, Bootstrappers Band, Royal St. Bachelors, etc...) as that doesn’t shut down large parts of the park and generally fits well with the theme of the area where it’s happening.

My hope is that those parts of the entertainment dept get brought back sooner rather than later as they always seems to generate positive energy wherever I see it happening.
      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
      Walt Disney World
      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
        It's going to sound silly but my biggest fear upon re-opening will be a cut to the quality/investment in food services. I've never been that big on entertainment (Remember.. Dreams Come True and Fantasmic! were the last shows that I ever truly bothered to go out of my way to see) but I've been enjoying Disney's investment, experimentation and overall increase in quality where food offerings were concerned. I know the new churros and specially themed plates may have seemed "eye-rolly" to some but I loved that they were mixing it up and trying new things frequently for their local crowd. Gone were the days where most menus were simply slight variations of standard theme park burger/fries/chicken, etc. and you'd have to visit something like Blue Bayou to really reach outside the box (-and heck, even they were serving Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets!). Most, if not all of the restaurants in the resort were now offering something unique to that venue that made me want to try it all and decision making in regards with where to eat all the more fun (-and difficult).

I know it's going to happen but when Disney re-opens, I fear we'll be looking at a lot more generic menu items across the park for a good while. Yeah, that is my guess for most likely causality upon reopening (if for no other reason than to mentally prepare myself for it).
        The big question though is if when Disney reopens and they offer subpar quality, will the new economic climate support a $150/day ticket?

Regardless if they can afford it or not, will people be willing to pay for generic food, no live entertainment, no spectaculars, and reduced staffing all while paying a price that in the past included all those things?

Pricing power does not lie solely with Disney, there has to be a market to support those prices. In a recessionary environment, often times quality must INCREASE while supply decreases because those that can afford will have other options, often at lower than normal prices.

Once Disney reopens, it will be interesting to see if they can make the value proposition to customers to command pre-pandemic pricing with offerings that are substantially reduced.

Comment

I honestly can't see Disneyland opening up until there is a vaccine for COVID-19 unless they can somehow include waivers of responsibility that park-goers would agree to by attending the park because of the inherit risk of contracting COVID-19 in such a large gathering of people. And even then, I don't know if that waiver would hold up in court unless it was found that Disneyland took all proper precautions to ensure guests were as safe from contracting COVID-19 as possible.

We need to be much further along with testing to where we frankly can identify a lot of the infected and have them quarantined so that the rest of the general public can go back to any sort of regular life, which still would require practicing social distancing guidelines and access to quick testing so that we can monitor people and quarantine them quickly if they become infected.

I think we are looking at 2022 before we can even think about Disneyland getting back online safely.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

Disney has become a truly sleazy company. Paying 1.5 billion in dividends to stock holders and untold amounts in executive bonuses this year. I hope Disney is bought out by a company with an ounce of class because Disney's leadership has truly lost its way.

The one silver lining in this is since Disney stopped paying their employees but are still planning on paying stock dividends, they will not be eligible for any government bailout so that puts them at tremendous risk of a takeover by another company, all due to Igor's greed and stupidity. If it does come to that, hopefully a good company takes them over and cares about the theme park business.
            I can see your point. I am not too concerned with the Dividend payouts because companies need the capital from investors in order to improve the business (at least for well run companies). However, I do have an issue with the outlandish executive bonuses. In my opinion, that only bleeds the company of much needed revenue.

I know people say, "Well they need to hand out those bonuses in order to keep good talent." Well, as far as I am concerned, the customer hasn't been benefiting from that "talent".
            We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
            The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

I think when they do green light opening back up they will have to create new marketing campaign and one that will focus on you as the guests being able to experience the magic you remembered and it will tug on your nostalgia. They may have to offer lower single day ticket prices at first and then ramp things up .

I find it interesting they have not put in the system yet for AP'ers to chose which way they want to go with either letting their pass run out or deferring there payments and pass until they open etc. I think Disney realizes they may be in a situation that they may not open within a year meaning they have the opportunity to re-set things price wise as they could have all AP's lapse and then offer a different price structure going forward to try and bring things back. ( maybe a discount for AP'rs who passes expired during the shut down )

I personally feel we might be in a situation that because of liability the parks will need there to be a vaccine for things to open to the crowds they need to be profitable. Wearing a mask in any public place may be the new norm until a vaccine is available. I am sure regardless of where things end up you will see Disney themed masks being sold in the parks in the future regardless of vaccines or not.

Comment

The most likely cuts will be capacity related. Condensed lines will likely be limited, so people will probably be encouraged to spread out over all of the attractions, meaning I do not think any rides will be closed. Meet and greets will likely be cut or have significant turnaround times between guests due to close interaction. Parades and fireworks will likely be cancelled to avoid a mass of people in one place. Limiting or severing day tickets for non-hotel guests is also likely to limit the overall number of people in the park, and cast member numbers will be based on how many people Disney chooses to let in.

With California having very strict COVID-19 guidelines, Disneyland may very well not even open until they are able to operate in a much more normal sense albeit with health screenings at the front gate.

Comment

Buffets and condiment stations. People will most likely want nothing to do with food that potentially hundreds of other people could have coughed into or touched.

Condiment stations are an easy removal, and probably save Disney money. I wonder what they do with buffets. Part of the cost benefits of Goofy's Kitchen is the fact that it's a buffet, same with Storyteller's. Do they change the way it's laid out and have people serve you as you wander and ask for it? A la some "fancier" buffets out there? Or do they charge the same price and go classic menu? or "choose from these selections"?

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
                    Buffets and condiment stations. People will most likely want nothing to do with food that potentially hundreds of other people could have coughed into or touched.

Condiment stations are an easy removal, and probably save Disney money. I wonder what they do with buffets. Part of the cost benefits of Goofy's Kitchen is the fact that it's a buffet, same with Storyteller's. Do they change the way it's laid out and have people serve you as you wander and ask for it? A la some "fancier" buffets out there? Or do they charge the same price and go classic menu? or "choose from these selections"?
                    Back when I worked the Plaza Inn (we're talking like, 2006 so it was a while ago), Minnie and Friend's Breakfast in the Park was a "ask for what you want behind the counter and the Cast Members would give it to you" type of affair. I haven't been back to the buffet in years because of the outrageous price increase but I haven't heard anything about it changing. Either way, having Cast Members serve you whatever you'd like at a buffet is something they've done before and certainly something they could implement again (though Plaza Inn's design space seemed to call for it while something like Goofy's Kitchen would probably have to be completely reworked).
                    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

Back when I worked the Plaza Inn (we're talking like, 2006 so it was a while ago), Minnie and Friend's Breakfast in the Park was a "ask for what you want behind the counter and the Cast Members would give it to you" type of affair. I haven't been back to the buffet in years because of the outrageous price increase but I haven't heard anything about it changing. Either way, having Cast Members serve you whatever you'd like at a buffet is something they've done before and certainly something they could implement again (though Plaza Inn's design space seemed to call for it while something like Goofy's Kitchen would probably have to be completely reworked).
                      This is probably a likely scenario, and hopefully is what they do as I think it provides better value for guests. It is pretty close to what lots of quick services kind of do already across all the parks so I could see it, but the days of come up and put your own food on your plate for probably done for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

Disney has become a truly sleazy company. Paying 1.5 billion in dividends to stock holders and untold amounts in executive bonuses this year. I hope Disney is bought out by a company with an ounce of class because Disney's leadership has truly lost its way.

The one silver lining in this is since Disney stopped paying their employees but are still planning on paying stock dividens, they will not be eligblie for any government bailout so that puts them at tremendous risk of a takeover by another company, all due to Igor's greed and stupidity. If it does come to that, hopefully a good company takes them over and cares about the theme park business.
                        I would not be hoping for a buy-out. If another company bought out Disney, they could do anything with Disney assets. Charge park admission AND reinstate buying ride tickets. Sell off Marvel Studios properties film rights again. Even shut down Disney Animation Studios.

By being bought out, the company assets are essentially declared carte blanche. Especially, if a hostile takeover occured.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

I would not be hoping for a buy-out. If another company bought out Disney, they could do anything with Disney assets. Charge park admission AND reinstate buying ride tickets. Sell off Marvel Studios properties film rights again. Even shut down Disney Animation Studios.

By being bought out, the company assets are essentially declared carte blanche. Especially, if a hostile takeover occured.
                          I'm fine with it. I hate what has happened to Disney and I want to see change. And the only way to get that change is to get rid of the bums who $%#@ed it all up. If that means liquidate and ruin the company then oh well. Ten years from now it will be ruined anyway with the direction its headed so I see new management as the only possible hope of saving Disney.

Comment

IMO...some were down the line
                            which was started during the Michael Eisner era
                            and right into IGER pocket the company was taken over !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X