X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WaltDisney'sAlec
    Happily Ridiculous
    • Dec 2011

[Question] APs: what option are you choosing?

Disney is letting us choose between partial refunds and keeping our current expiration date, or extending our APs with no refunds (or payments delayed in the case of monthly APs). In the email to Disneyland APs they did not say how to choose these options. However, they silently updated their website telling us to call if we want our pass extended instead of automatically getting a refund.

My biggest issues with this are (1) they didn't email this update out to us and we have no guidance on when we must make this decision by, and (2) we have no idea what the parks are going to look like when they reopen. Theme park companies have been doing a good job of keeping passholders updated (Six Flags and Knotts, in particular). This is the second time Disney has neglected to email APs (2 days after the change, in this case) or will be doing so at a delayed rate. Am I wrong to expect better?

I think the lack of deadline to decide means we can take as much time as we need. If the parks open up with strict population controls where it's both difficult to get in and operating at reduced capacity, APs should get a free extension for as long as those conditions last. I won't be happy if Disney starts the countdown clock on expiration of our passes under these circumstances. I would prefer to extend my pass, but if the value is so reduced that it won't be worth it, there's no point.

I understand these are trying times for everyone, and contractually they don't have to do anything. But with other parks rolling out perks for their season passholders, it seems like Disney isn't doing enough. So what option will you be choosing?

I'll take the extension (and my chances) when the park re-opens
    45.71%
    I'll let my pass expire and take the refund (and maybe buy it again when I feel comfortable)
    34.29%
    I'm going to wait and see before I call AP Member Services
    20.00%
  • hbdad
    MiceChatter
    • Jul 2017

I have 4 passes, two of which are paid in full. Since those are getting extended automatically, it was an easy decision on what do to with the other 2.
    Last edited by hbdad; 04-18-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
      Disney is letting us choose between partial refunds and keeping our current expiration date, or extending our APs with no refunds (or payments delayed in the case of monthly APs). In the email to Disneyland APs they did not say how to choose these options. However, they silently updated their website telling us to call if we want our pass extended instead of automatically getting a refund.

My biggest issues with this are (1) they didn't email this update out to us and we have no guidance on when we must make this decision by, and (2) we have no idea what the parks are going to look like when they reopen. Theme park companies have been doing a good job of keeping passholders updated (Six Flags and Knotts, in particular). This is the second time Disney has neglected to email APs (2 days after the change, in this case) or will be doing so at a delayed rate. Am I wrong to expect better?...
      You're not at all wrong to expect better. Unfortunately, Disney's communications to its customers can be incomplete, contradictory and confusing at the best of times -- a reflection of the chronic internal confusion created by its tangled bureaucracy of departments, run by a revolving-door procession of executives who are seldom certain who has responsibility for what.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Sun Bonnet
        MiceChatter

• Sep 2019

I paid in full for mine. I thought I could still get the refund. I'm not returning until I personally feel comfortable and that may be long after Disney actually re-opens.
        "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

• whiteness
          RoofRatter

• Feb 2017

Planning on moving to Orlando. Not sure which will happen first: Disneyland re-opening, or our move. Too bad Disney doesn't let folks transfer their passes...
          Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

• TacAlert
            C4C6C

• Jan 2005

Taking the extension. I plan on being there the day the park reopens. Not scared of this virus and was there up to the second to last day before the park closed.
            "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

• bayouguy
              Bayou Native
              • Jul 2006

my AP has a July renewal frame and my daughter's AP has a December renewal frame...not much to do but take the extension and wait...
              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

• linkeq2001
                MiceChatter
                • Oct 2012

If they continue to stay quiet this seems like a very subtle attendance control policy. Have a majority of APers unknowingly let passes refund and lapse along with those that are choosing to do so means you take a chunk out of daily attendance at the park.

Lots of these APs may not be able to resubscribe which means Disney can focus efforts on resort guests for the immediate future. It’s MUCH more difficult to appease a resort guest who may have saved for a long time, can’t get a refund on flights and “has” to travel to a park that might have restrictions and reduced entertainment than a local AP that has a lot more flexibility. It’s kind of kicking the can down the road, but if the parks open with reduced attendance measures someone being denied entry after flying half way across the country tends to be more aggressive and irate than someone that drove an hour or two.

All that hat being said, it would be pretty damn shady of Disney if they quietly popped an expiration date on this choice and screwed over fans who have paid thousands over the years to populate the resort frequently. Big picture for the company will always be stock price though, and investors want to see airlines busy with guests going to full hotels and cruise ships, the optics of that being healthy are better than parks relying totally on locals which points to a poor tourism economy which Disney relies heavily on

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

I suspect that if the reopening of its theme parks is delayed long enough, Disney will offer APers an option to apply the value of their tickets to different Disney products (merchandise, extensions on their Disney+ subscriptions, etc.).

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• bigcatrik
                    MiceChatter
                    • May 2012

However, they silently updated their website telling us to call if we want our pass extended instead of automatically getting a refund.
                    I just pulled this off the site and it seems to say the opposite: do nothing and the pass is extended, call if you want a refund:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AP_extension_refund.png
Views:	1099
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	8617315

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

"We do anticipate heavy call volume and appreciate your patience as we answer all inquiries."
                      Nice plan, Disney. Offer a refund, but force your customers to sit for hours in a phone queue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	alice-face-palm-featured.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	8617318

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                        Happily Ridiculous
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post

I just pulled this off the site and it seems to say the opposite: do nothing and the pass is extended, call if you want a refund:

Click image for larger version  Name:	AP_extension_refund.png Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	8617315
                        Sorry, you are correct. The process is reversed for APs on the monthly payment plan (which I am).

They certainly don't make it easy to follow, do they? And still no email telling us to call.

Comment

• sailor310
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jul 2010

I'm 3 for 3 for high covid risk so it'll be a long time until I'll feel safe in the park. I saw this, misread it, got all excited and called Sunday at 6:42. I was very pleasantly surprised at the very short wait-20 seconds.
                          Even though they said prepaid APs get ..."a partial refund for the theme park closure period," It didn't sink in and I thought I'd get all my money back less a pro-rating for the time from my card activation til park closure. Feb 14 til March 14, $419/12 months=$35. So I get $419-$35=$384 back! I was psyched until the end of the call when I finally understood--same ending date for my passport. Just a few bucks back for the months they're officially closed. It's my nickel if I don't feel safe enough to come back when they open. Bummer!
                          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Benny
                            MiceChatter
                            • Aug 2009

Has anyone received their refund for the March payments?

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                              Happily Ridiculous
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                              Has anyone received their refund for the March payments?
                              I'm curious to know the answer to this as well. Unfortunately my monthly payment comes on the 9th of each month, so it went through for March just before the shutdown began. I was not charged in April.

Comment

• 9oldmen
                                • Apr 2005

I'm curious to know the answer to this as well. Unfortunately my monthly payment comes on the 9th of each month, so it went through for March just before the shutdown began. I was not charged in April.
                                That would have happened to anyone who's payment date was before April 5th, because that was the day that the company announced that had changed their minds about the payments (I think that was the day). So you of course, you were not charged for April. The most they should owe anyone at this point would be one payment since there were less then 30 days between the shut down and April 5th.

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                                  Happily Ridiculous
                                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                                  That would have happened to anyone who's payment date was before April 5th, because that was the day that the company announced that had changed their minds about the payments (I think that was the day). So you of course, you were not charged for April. The most they should owe anyone at this point would be one payment since there were less then 30 days between the shut down and April 5th.
                                  Right. I know they don't owe me any money just because I fell in the perfect window of not having my payment fall between 3/18 and 4/5. I'm just curious to see if they're on top of refunds, seeing as how we still have not been emailed about how to select an alternative option. I know plenty of APs who aren't following this as closely and even the Disneyland AP Twitter account has been silent on it.

Comment

• parrity1
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Aug 2019

My payment falls on the 27th, no refund yet for me or email about it.

Not worrying to me, but for people who need the money it could be a big deal.

Comment

• Starcade
                                      Old Skateboarder

• May 2017

I am concerned since this is likely to keep the park closed for more then a year this will give Disney the option to exploit this. Will they decide to decrease new AP's when the park opens back up making the choice the differ payment and extend AP a bad one? Or will they no longer offer certain Ap levels so if you do not extend your pass you may lose the option to buy a new AP at the level you like? Or will they reward those that extended and increase AP prices knowing they have a whole new batch of guests that are going to want to sign up for new contracts? It's tough one if all things are going to stay the same then I would chose to differ but if not then what?
                                      Last edited by Starcade; 04-21-2020, 01:41 PM.
                                      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

• squirrels17
                                        New MiceChatter
                                        • Jul 2017

Does anyone know how the extension would work for those on the monthly payment plan if you started making payments before activating your pass? I've tried calling the AP phone line but keep getting the busy signal

I'm a little confused by the options, because I "purchased" my pass online last May (and thus started the monthly payments), but didn't activate it until over a month later (so my pass now expires late June 2020). As a result, by February 2020, I'd made 10 of 12 monthly payments, but had only had an active pass for 9 months. Assuming the park will remain closed until after my pass expires...

If I choose to simply let my pass expire, I'll have paid for a month I didn't use.

If I choose to extend the pass, will I only need to make 2 more payments, and will my pass be extended by the remaining 3 months?

If anyone else is in a similar situation and has some insight, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X