Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Tomorrowland 2155

With WDW's Tomorrowland reverting back to a modernist look, Epcot's Future World going eco-futurist, and Galaxy's Edge being somewhat Pandora/Discoveryland-ish and inside Disneyland, when the bulldozers do arrive to whisk Tomorrowland into the 21st century (and beyond) what look do you think they go for?

I can see them staying with the white Space Mountain look, but if they import in rides like Flight of Passage or Tron, those burned out militaristic shells or glass & steel visuals don't gel with the land as whole. Already, the stray elements from Tomorrowland '98 and other slapdash modifications clash with pre-existing elements, so what do you think happens design-wise?

Theming it to 2155, might be a bit of an extreme stretch to do (135 years in the future!). 2055 seems more reasonable.

I have a feeling that if a makeover does happen, it's not going to be what the old school fans(Walt Era to Pre-Pressler era)imagine it or want it to be.

Gone are the days of edutainment focused attractions or non-IP rides. And as sacrilegous as it may sounds for some individuals, there would likely be at least one or more Marvel themed ride in the new Tomorrowland(Ant Man, Captain Marvel or Iron Man are likely guesses).

Aesthetically, the land's design style may be something similar to the look of the Avengers Campus or a retro Tomorrowland inspired look, similar to the land's new rock-less entrance.

Comment

As long as Chapek is CEO, any rebuilt Tomorrowland would be strictly an IP-land, with the design dictated by the IP.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

I obviously can’t predict what Disney will do, but in my opinion, they should do a more whimsical, fun future, like from the Jetsons, or Meet the Robinsons. Forget trying to predict a realistic future. That’s a plan destined for failure. The other aspect that I think has always been missing from Tomorrowland is that it doesn’t try to resemble a populated community, as all the other lands do. They should try to do that, as well.
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Problem is that no matter what they do, the 'future' rapidly becomes the 'present'. Technology advances much more rapidly than it did back in the 50-60-70s, even the 80s. lt would need almost constant renovations and updates to keep ahead of today's rate of discoveries and advancements.

The 'furthest future' from us at this point (IMO) is actual space colonization. I think they could get away with that for a few decades at least. SWL is more of a 'fantasy-based' space colonization. TL could do a 'realistic' version.

Of course they could always just bring back TL67. I'm down with that.
          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
            As long as Chapek is CEO, any rebuilt Tomorrowland would be strictly an IP-land, with the design dictated by the IP.
            Sadly this^^^
            My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

I think they will end up just choosing a futuristic theme and sticking with it. Whether its Tron or the Tomorrowland movie, some sort of aesthetic inspiration will be chosen as a permanent theme. Likely, it will be something slightly unrealistic or unobtainable just to avoid the present becoming the future.

Comment

I wish we could get and actually "complete" version of what they intended in 98. Obviously don't go with the bronze and petina (except maybe around the lagoon where it would make sense), but go for that "future we never got" astetic, whether it's steampunk inspired or buck Rodgers.

Comment

So much I can say on this subject.

Short response........

- coronavirus economic impact will ensure a renovation much later than planned! That’s fine with me. I don’t want the current management to get near it with a hundred foot pole. It would be a sad compromise that will disappoint everyone!

- What look to go for? I was going to do a huge thread stating the latest changes to WDW’s TL, and how that could influence what happens to DL’s version. After years and years of giving this some thought..... I think the best idea at this point is the 1960s ultra clean vision “on steroids.” TL has to be bright, and POSITIVE looking. All these “moody” designs that have come and gone (WDW’s sci fi look, DLP’s brown toned Jules Verne look, the Green look .... trying to go for a little futurism within a Forest, and more visions that have all turned into Fad thinking...... none of these visions seem to have the impact a bright, shiny, clean look have .... or WDW wouldn’t be going back to it’s original 1971 design!

MY SIGNATURE:
                  Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                    Theming it to 2155, might be a bit of an extreme stretch to do (135 years in the future!). 2055 seems more reasonable.
                    Only 35 years from now? Sorry, no. They either need to shoot FAR into the future.... with a look that’s so fantastical! Or take the classic “googie” look, and exaggerate it! Like The Jetsons!

I have a feeling that if a makeover does happen, it's not going to be what the old school fans(Walt Era to Pre-Pressler era)imagine it or want it to be.
                    With Chapek in charge.... don’t expect anything good!

Let me say that again for those who are only paying half attention to me ......

Look how SW:GE turned out. Marvel Campus overall design is not exactly busting out with tons of imagination in its overall look, and design.

If any of you think a TL renovation under Chapek is going to turn heads like the 1967 version did, you all can bloody forget it!!!

There’s a reason I call him CHEAPek!

Gone are the days of edutainment focused attractions or non-IP rides. And as sacrilegous as it may sounds for some individuals, there would likely be at least one or more Marvel themed ride in the new Tomorrowland(Ant Man, Captain Marvel or Iron Man are likely guesses).
                    With Marvel’s presence is in DCA, I don’t see having 2 locations in two parks. And DON’T wish for Antman! That is one of the worst attractions I’ve ever seen! Poor HKDL, they are stuck with that for a while!

Aesthetically, the land's design style may be something similar to the look of the Avengers Campus.
                    OH god I hope not! Since when should TL look like a present day industrial complex??!! Or should I say .... like an oil refinery dropped down into a theme park!

Either they go for something Zaha Hadid inspired, or take the land’s 1967 design and “amp it up”!
                    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 04-23-2020, 06:59 AM.
                    MY SIGNATURE:
                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                      So much I can say on this subject.

Short response........

- coronavirus economic impact will ensure a renovation much later than planned! That’s fine with me. I don’t want the current management to get near it with a hundred foot pole. It would be a sad compromise that will disappoint everyone!

- What look to go for? I was going to do a huge thread stating the latest changes to WDW’s TL, and how that could influence what happens to DL’s version. After years and years of giving this some thought..... I think the best idea at this point is the 1960s ultra clean vision “on steroids.” TL has to be bright, and POSITIVE looking. All these “moody” designs that have come and gone (WDW’s sci fi look, DLP’s brown toned Jules Verne look, the Green look .... trying to go for a little futurism within a Forest, and more visions that have all turned into Fad thinking...... none of these visions seem to have the impact a bright, shiny, clean look have .... or WDW wouldn’t be going back to it’s original 1971 design!
                      Hey, I agree...Also, you should be hired by WDI for your ideas alone. A ton of great ideas and I think that's what the Parks need more than anything, especially mindless IP connections. Don't get me wrong, they have their place...just not everywhere. Still, I think mixing the 1960's/1970's Space Age look with futuristic exhibits and attractions would be neat. It would work, too, and that's the kicker because it's such a practical idea with so much potential for greatness. It has to have a cool color scheme, kinetics, enough water elements, other show elements, and a layered appearance to sell the cosmopolitan nature and complexity of a Futureport/showcase because it's hopeful and reassuring of the future, even in these uncertain times.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Only 35 years from now? Sorry, no. They either need to shoot FAR into the future.... with a look that’s so fantastical! Or take the classic “googie” look, and exaggerate it! Like The Jetsons!

With Chapek in charge.... don’t expect anything good!

Let me say that again for those who are only paying half attention to me ......

Look how SW:GE turned out. Marvel Campus overall design is not exactly busting out with tons of imagination in its overall look, and design.

If any of you think a TL renovation under Chapek is going to turn heads like the 1967 version did, you all can bloody forget it!!!

There’s a reason I call him CHEAPek!

With Marvel’s presence is in DCA, I don’t see having 2 locations in two parks. And DON’T wish for Antman! That is one of the worst attractions I’ve ever seen! Poor HKDL, they are stuck with that for a while!

OH god I hope not! Since when should TL look like a present day industrial complex??!! Or should I say .... like an oil refinery dropped down into a theme park!

Either they go for something Zaha Hadid inspired, or take the land’s 1967 design and “amp it up”!

It shouldn't look like a military base. I didn't want SWGE to happen...not at Disneyland. The Marvel Campus is uninspired and I have reason to believe that such will be the look of Tomorrowland if a few things happen, chiefly Chapek's continued rule and if the same designers are transferred to TL.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X