Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Live streaming and IP based rides

As we all know by now going out to the movies is no longer possible and probably will not be possible for some time after the stay at home restrictions are lifted and non-essential businesses are allowed to re-open.

As a result Onward was quickly released on to Disney+. Artemis Fowl is going to wind up also going directly to a live stream format. Mulan and Soul have been postponed, and I would not be surprised if these movies are also sent to live stream if the restrictions are extended or people wind up not returning to the theaters when the do open back up.

The question I have is what might the effect be on future IP on future parks attractions. Could the direct to live stream format mean the end of IP based rides? That may be wishful thinking on my part but are there any other ways that you think direct to live stream may effect the future of IP in the parks? Disney has a huge library of prior IP that they can pull from and have pulled from but what about those releases that may be forced to bypass the theaters. Will we not see Onward or Soul or Artemis Fowl inside the parks because the guest does not react to a movie via a direct to live stream format as they would if the movie were released in a traditional movie theater setting? In general what are your thoughts?

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The question I have is what might the effect be on future IP on future parks attractions. Could the direct to live stream format mean the end of IP based rides?
    Its not going to happen. IPs are not going anywhere. There still IP merch in stores, IPs being watched on Disney+/ bought digitally, and IPs will be pushed heavily during the next award season, like usual Unless some lost footage of Walt going on a tirading rant about IPs is somehow found and made public, I don't expect a change.

Back to the remarks on Movie Theaters. The closures are not going to last that long. Theaters become available again, when a state reaches 'Phase 2 status'. They can operate under 'moderate social distancing' and can downgrade the distancing to 'Limited', when the state reaches 'Phase 3'.

Comment

They just opened a ride at Hollywood Studios based on a redesign of the classic characters which were intended for television (as well as streaming, cable and online).
      Universal is now constructing a huge ride in California based on video game characters. Yes, the Mario Bros. did appear in a feature film, but that's not exactly the version of the characters which will be featured in the ride, which is also being built in Osaka (along with another Nintendo ride), as well as in Orlando as part of the "Epic Universe". So, no, movie theaters are not the only format that the characters and stories have to appear in for them to then be used in theme parks.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
        They just opened a ride at Hollywood Studios based on a redesign of the classic characters which were intended for television (as well as streaming, cable and online).
        Universal is now constructing a huge ride in California based on video game characters. Yes, the Mario Bros. did appear in a feature film, but that's not exactly the version of the characters which will be featured in the ride, which is also being built in Osaka (along with another Nintendo ride), as well as in Orlando as part of the "Epic Universe". So, no, movie theaters are not the only format that the characters and stories have to appear in for them to then be used in theme parks.
        This. Not to mention the buzz of the last several years that the movie theater industry is shrinking, as new generations of consumers become habituated to the convenience and availability of alternate forms of viewing.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
          I agree with this and will add the rumored Mandalorian based second Smuggler's Run mission as an example, as the Mandalorian is only available for streaming. Popular characters, no matter where they are originally screened, will remain in the parks.

Comment

If I correctly recall, there wasn’t any happy meals out before the theatrical release of Snow White or Cinderella...maybe for a few movies, we can skip the over crazed hype before the movie’s release and enjoy the movie...
            I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X