Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tomorrowland Problem

I have written an article on the history of Tomorrowland at Disneyland.
    https://vocal.media/wander/the-tomor...problem-part-1

Great article!

Even if the next major overhaul is postponed, there are significant aesthetic/thematic improvements they can make in the meanwhile at a low cost.

First, stop using Tomorrowland Theater for movie previews! The giant movie preview signs look awful and make no thematic sense in Tomorrowland. Disney could use the Tomorrowland Theater for a relevant short film, such as the wonderful little "Awesome Planet" movie that's currently playing in The Land at EPCOT! That film discusses cutting-edge technology, making it perfect for Tomorrowland.

Second, it might be time to retire Star Wars Launch Bay, even if it's not being replaced with anything at the moment. It's not a "crowd-eater," it's made redundant by Galaxy's Edge, and removing that "Star Wars" sign would improve the aesthetic/thematic integrity of the land.

For the long-term, attractions that celebrate broad ideas associated with the future would have longevity. We can observe an example already: Space Mountain. That attraction is about the promise and excitement of space travel, not a specific technology or concept that could easily become obsolete, and as a result, with intermediate technical improvements, it stands the test of time. And even if IPs are viewed as a "must," perhaps they can be used in ways that fit this "timeless" motif.

Comment

Awesome article!
      Surely you poured a lot of time and effort into your write up. Some of the minor things of the last 10 years I'm a bit lost on specific dates, so it's nice to have something that covers the most recent things. And as it's called "Part 1". I'll be awaiting Part 2. :-)

If I may assist .... A couple corrections I'd like to offer ...

On opening day - July 17th .... there were only 3 attractions ready for the public. They included:

- Circarama: A Tour of the West
      - Autopia
      - Space Station X-1

All doors leading into the "south exhibition" structure were locked shut.

Hall of Chemistry, Hall of Aluminum Fame, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea were not ready. (Their debuts came the next week, or into August).
      Other known exhibits of those early years of TL - Dairy Bar ... came along in December. Bathroom of Tomorrow came along - April 5,1956

North Exhibition building - Dutch Boy Paint Gallery, opened mid March 1956 (originally slated for "Opening Day"). And Art Corner also 1956.

In the center - Thimble Drome Flight Circle and Hobbyland were ready for September 4,1955

The star attraction - TWA Rocket To The Moon opened July 22. Story (rumor) goes ... a disgruntled electrician messed up a few things up .. and took several days to fix.

Phantom Boats were also not ready for several weeks. Were on again .. off again (aka Rocket Rods) .. until Walt finally gave up on them completely - Late 1956.

America Sings debuted to the world June 29,1974. (Not 1975)
      Carousel of Progress shut it's doors early Sept 1973.

And one added thing to Mission To Mars that many people won't remember -
      The 1967 Flight To The Moon only had screens to the bottom and top of the chamber.
      Come 1975 - Mission To Mars got two massive wide screen displays mounted in a way so no matter where you sat, you saw the probe's views of Mars' surface.

Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 04-23-2020, 09:32 PM.
      MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
        Awesome article!
        Surely you poured a lot of time and effort into your write up. Some of the minor things of the last 10 years I'm a bit lost on specific dates, so it's nice to have something that covers the most recent things. And as it's called "Part 1". I'll be awaiting Part 2. :-)
        Part 2 will be about tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom in Florida.

Comment

Are you are going to also cover the other Tomorrowlands in the other “magic kingdom” parks around the world?
          MY SIGNATURE:
          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Are you are going to also cover the other Tomorrowlands in the other “magic kingdom” parks around the world?
            No, as I have never seen those in person and thus feel that I would be unqualified to write about them. I might talk a little bit about Tokyo in the Magic Kingdom one since they are closely related.

Comment

Awesome article!

If I may assist .... A couple corrections I'd like to offer ...

On opening day - July 17th .... there were only 3 attractions ready for the public. They included:

- Circarama: A Tour of the West
              - Autopia
              - Space Station X-1

All doors leading into the "south exhibition" structure were locked shut.

Hall of Chemistry, Hall of Aluminum Fame, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea were not ready. (Their debuts came the next week, or into August).
              Other known exhibits of those early years of TL - Dairy Bar ... came along in December. Bathroom of Tomorrow came along - April 5,1956

North Exhibition building - Dutch Boy Paint Gallery, opened mid March 1956 (originally slated for "Opening Day"). And Art Corner also 1956.

In the center - Thimble Drome Flight Circle and Hobbyland were ready for September 4,1955

The star attraction - TWA Rocket To The Moon opened July 22. Story (rumor) goes ... a disgruntled electrician messed up a few things up .. and took several days to fix.

Phantom Boats were also not ready for several weeks. Were on again .. off again (aka Rocket Rods) .. until Walt finally gave up on them completely - Late 1956.

America Sings debuted to the world June 29,1974. (Not 1975)
              Carousel of Progress shut it's doors early Sept 1973.

And one added thing to Mission To Mars that many people won't remember -
              The 1967 Flight To The Moon only had screens to the bottom and top of the chamber.
              Come 1975 - Mission To Mars got two massive wide screen displays mounted in a way so no matter where you sat, you saw the probe's views of Mars' surface.

I never knew the south exhibition building was locked up on opening day. Very fascinating. I have some great ideas about how they can improve Tomorrowland. It would be adding older attractions from Epcot Center's Future World alongside new attractions while modifying some of the existing attractions. Tomorrowland should be the World of Tomorrow Walt wanted with immersive exhibits on futuristic living and concepts as they evolve, a sort of test bed for American industry, and a showcase of progress, science, and technology. Basically, bring it back to its roots and really focus on an attainable future within the concept of a Space/Future Port and how it can be a source of unity for all humankind. I kind of hope WDI reads these comment sections to consider how to proceed on such a sensitive project...hopefully, I'll be working there when they start to revisit Tomorrowland to give my input officially.

Comment

I think when revisiting the design of Tomorrowland, WDI should consider a balance of old and new attractions while preserving some of the infrastructure and thematic elements (I'm thinking primarily of the Submarine Lagoon because every land needs a substantial water element to bring an air of vitality...after all, water is the building block of life). My idea is to have attractions serving different "themes" or functions within Tomorrowland. You have the Monorail, which is underutilized in our society unfortunately, and you have the Submarine Voyage, which should still retain that sense of wonder and inspiration. You have Space Mountain, which obviously deals with space travel. I think a TRON coaster should be considered...at least in the context of rapid-transportation, and we definitely need kinetics because Tomorrowland is supposed to be a bustling metropolis of the future, a cosmopolitan Futureport, if you will. If there is room, then a streamlined version of Horizons should be considered, whether it's a People-mover type experience like the original, or a simulator like Star Tours. Like I said, it should be the World of Tomorrow, a Land of Horizons, an immersive showcase that deals with futuristic living, and a space for science, technology, and progress to be a constant. Disneyland was built on the notion of reassurance and storytelling, so I figure we should update the area with this in mind. I hope WDI and Disney management considers this and I would be happy to help because I want to see Disneyland succeed more than anything and I believe we are all invested in how this turns out in some fashion. So why not bring it back to a fantastic and yet factual future that can be adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by WEDfan9798 View Post
                  I think when revisiting the design of Tomorrowland, WDI should consider a balance of old and new attractions while preserving some of the infrastructure and thematic elements (I'm thinking primarily of the Submarine Lagoon because every land needs a substantial water element to bring an air of vitality...after all, water is the building block of life).
                  I agree that it would be a shame to lose the Submarine Lagoon, for the reason you stated (the aesthetic value of water) and also for the kinetic value of seeing the submarines. If they do remove it/Autopia to expand Fantasyland one day, I hope the expansion has a comparably-sized or larger water feature.

I also thought of something else: It has always been "bad show" for the monorail ride to contain views of Harbor Blvd. Maybe the updated Tomorrowland will make a change that sends it through a tunnel or otherwise blocks the view of Harbor Blvd. Something similar should be done for Disneyland Drive, but obviously that's not nearly as much of an issue.

Comment

I feel it's a greatly missed opportunity to be doing a marvel area in DCA when a Stark Expo version of Tomorrowland with a 21st century world's fair of innovation theme would have been top notch. Gut out Buzz and the star wars bay for new projects, move star tours to GE, bring 8K HDR to the Magic Eye Theater with a new show, upgrade Autopia to electric power, and do whatever it takes to fix up the people mover system so its usable again. Really a lot of potential there for an incredible experience.

Please check out my website too!

Comment

If they had simply updated the 1967/1978 vision of Tomorrowland with current technology there wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X