Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Disneyland get rid of Goofy?

To quote a newer Disney character, Mayor Quimby, "I am flip flopping!"

Goofy is great, and anyone who criticizes him doesn't appreciate animation history!

The rumors that Walt didn't love this Disney character are hearsay,
    and when Walt gave us both Pluto and Goofy he argued that we're not the only species that evolves.

New voters may now vote more than once & voting is anonymous.
    Disney should fire Goofy.
    10.71%
    Disney should keep Goofy, but make him more dog like & have him marry Pluto.
    0%
    Disney should keep Goofy, but make him really Christian to make $$$$ marketing him.
    14.29%
    Disney should keep Goofy, but explain that he's an alien dog.
    7.14%
    Disney should keep Goofy, but try a lot harder to make him funnier.
    32.14%
    Keep Goofy as he was before the 1990s.
    32.14%
    Keep Goofy, but let him be an LSD cautionary tale.
    7.14%
    Keep Goofy & let him appear in a new, hip version of the Tiki Room!
    0%
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-04-2020, 04:28 PM.

I also thought they could kill Goofy and make that a teaching moment for kids.

And they could have him in Heaven, hell, purgatory or be re-incarnated.

Comment

We've been stuck at home far too long...
      Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
        We've been stuck at home far too long...
        True! I should stop posting today before I'm banned from Micechat for life!

Comment

I've always wanted Figment dead.
          My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
            How can any of you stand Goofy? He's so stupid and usually unfunny. (I liked his driver ed film though.)

I was glad to read that Walt was not a Goofy fan.

Nothing against funny stupid characters - - I like SpongeBob's friend Patrick & Matthew McConaughey.
            I believe Walt Disney actually hated the Goofy cartoons, not the character.
            "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "‚Äč This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

The driver's ed one is one of the best Disney short cartoons though.
              "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                Yes, that one is absolutely hilarious!!

Comment

It's OK, not everyone is perfect, some are not dog people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                    I agree........best part of driver's ed class
                    is watching Walt Disney short's
                    Goofy cartoons,
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPilot View Post
                      Is Goofy a dog? Pluto is.

And tomorrow is the 10th birthday of my best friend, our Golden Retriever, Molly! (Shown here in puppy form.)Click image for larger version

Name:	0-1.jpeg
Views:	1654
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	8617905

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPilot View Post
                        I am a dog person which is why I love Pluto. I've enjoyed some Goofy cartoons, but Goofy's outlived his usefulness and it is high time he's fired. Keep Bill Farmer on the payroll, though. That man is a national treasure.

Comment

How can we fire Goofy?!

He is one of the few characters to have an attraction in both parks AND a restaurant at the Disneyland Hotel!

He also one of the few major characters to have a KID! How can you fire a single parent father?!!!!

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                          Keep Bill Farmer on the payroll, though. That man is a national treasure.
                          Even if Disney randomly decided to get rid of Goofy, Farmer is still the official voice of Pluto and Horace Horsecollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                            How can we fire Goofy?!

He is one of the few characters to have an attraction in both parks AND a restaurant at the Disneyland Hotel!

He also one of the few major characters to have a KID! How can you fire a single parent father?!!!!

Even if Disney randomly decided to get rid of Goofy, Farmer is still the official voice of Pluto and Horace Horsecollar.
                            Goofy didn't put enough effort into his attractions in my opinion. One is an off-the-shelf roller coaster and the other is a themed set piece! Goofy's kitchen can become Pluto's. I feel remorse about firing a single father, but he previously bounced back from being fired before he went back to college. I have no doubt he'll land on his feet.

Comment

The Goofy walkaround character in the parks is from the classic shorts trio of Mickey, Donald and Goofy, not the Goof Troop TV cartoon series and spinoff DVD movie. He doesn't need to be made "funnier," any more than classic Mickey or Donald do.
                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

"A Goofy Movie"is a masterpiece, and nobody can change my mind! The Goof TroopTV show...not so much. Still, Goofy has always been a favorite, so I'd harbor him from any murder attempts.
                                The real issue is the Pluto thing, and why he and Goofy are both dogs, yet one gets to wear clothes and has a job and functions in society, and the other is just...a dog. I never worked out if Goofy is a mutated higher-life form like the rest of the gang, and Pluto is just a normal dog. Or if Pluto suffered some kind of accident, rendering him mute and with slight brain damage.
                                But then, I've had a grudge against Pluto since he wouldn't just let Chip and Dale hang out in his Christmas Tree that one time, so I don't feel too bad for the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaseTheDream View Post
                                  The real issue is the Pluto thing, and why he and Goofy are both dogs, yet one gets to wear clothes and has a job and functions in society, and the other is just...a dog. I never worked out if Goofy is a mutated higher-life form like the rest of the gang, and Pluto is just a normal dog....
                                  The non-literalness of cartoon characters comes from the early years of animated shorts -- the era that created Krazy Kat, Felix the Cat and Oswald Rabbit. They exist along a non-linear spectrum of design and behavior from pure human to pure animal. They can display mixes of human/animal attributes from film to film and even within the same film. Goofy comes from the same school of character design as Pegleg Pete. Goofy is not a dog and Pete is not a cat; both are human characters with visual design elements derived from animals but with none of the animals' behaviors (Goofy was a takeoff on vaudeville slapstick idiots; Pete a parody of silent film villains). Same thing with Mickey -- he's essentially Charlie Chaplin with mouse design elements but no mouse behaviors (later he morphed into a Fred MacMurray "everyman," but still had no mouse behaviors).

Pluto was and is a different kind of cartoon character -- he's a dog. He barks, chases cats, buries bones and doesn't talk. But he has enough human emotions to communicate his attitudes to the audience. Mickey-and-Pluto are "a boy and his dog." Mickey-and-Goofy are next door neighbors or partners in business.

You see the same non-literal mix of human and animal elements along the "human-animal spectrum" from Donald Duck to Chip & Dale, Thumper Rabbit to Lady and Tramp. Disney's Robin Hood is an anthropomorphized fox with no elements of fox behavior; Baloo is an anthropomorphized bear with several elements of bear behavior; King Louie and his crew are anthropomorphized apes with many elements of ape behavior; and so on.
                                  Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-30-2020, 12:49 AM.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                    You see the same non-literal mix of human and animal elements along the "human-animal spectrum" from Donald Duck to Chip & Dale, Thumper Rabbit to Lady and Tramp. Disney's Robin Hood is an anthropomorphized fox with no elements of fox behavior; Baloo is an anthropomorphized bear with several elements of bear behavior; King Louie and his crew are anthropomorphized apes with many elements of ape behavior; and so on.
                                    You nailed it and Goofy has always been a favorite character mainly because of his positivity. True that Goofy doesn't realize what's going on around him or the mess he's causing, but he's always positive.
                                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Someone correct my Disney history if I'm wrong here but weren't Goofy and Donald created to bring something to the Mickey Cartoons that they were missing? I had read that both Goofy and Donald are there to create some dynamic and express some emotion that Mickey may have not been particularly good at expressing in any one direction since he's basically an every man. This leading to a lack of character dynamic and so Donald and Goofy were introduced to help round out the cartoons and express things that would be out of character for Mickey to do on his own. If that's the case, then the trio need each other to keep each other in check and balance each other out.I wouldn't want them to get rid of Goofy and lose the admittedly dull but good hearted sense of humor he brings to their universe and their adventures.
                                      "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

This is what this topic immediately made me think of:

"Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X