• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reimondo
    DisneyFan
    • Mar 2012

Character Meets

How would they handle that now, since that’s one of the biggest things at the parks? It’s gonna feel weird not being able to hug Chip and Dale anymore for the time being.
  • Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Reimondo View Post
    How would they handle that now, since that’s one of the biggest things at the parks? It’s gonna feel weird not being able to hug Chip and Dale anymore for the time being.
    Good point.....and SAD.......
    specially for the little ones
    back in 1959 my first time at Disneyland
    I was able see MICKEY MOUSE in person , that that was my big highlight !
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Spongeocto4
      Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Meet & Greets could still be possible, as a percentage of the characters are "masked". Whether they can do that with PPE standards, is another question.

'Face' Characters are not going be part of future meet & greets, though. It's possible that they could appear in a non-stop cavalcade, similar to the rainy day version. Or if parades do get greenlit(with social distancing strongly enforced) could we see a possible return of the 'snow globe bubbles' on the parade floats?
      "...but life without cake is no life at all"
      -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
      WDW: 2006
      Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• Spongeocto4
        Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Update: Hong Kong has resumed characters meals at the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. Guests can not touch or hug the characters.

Which characters are appearing is not mention. My guess is the 'masked' ones.

Post EDIT: It appears it just Mickey & Friends(Minnie, Pluto and Goofy, who still has a job, jcruise86).
        Hong Kong Disneyland has resumed character meet & greets at the Enchanted Garden Restaurant with new social distancing guidelines in place.
        Last edited by Spongeocto4; 05-01-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Spongeocto4
          Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Another source report, with photos that show Mickey & Minnie clearly ignoring the 'no hugs' policy and social distancing rules.
          Hong Kong Disneyland is taking the next step by bringing back select Character Dining while focusing on social distancing before reopening their parks.

Comment

• Reimondo
            DisneyFan
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Good point.....and SAD.......
            specially for the little ones
            back in 1959 my first time at Disneyland
            I was able see MICKEY MOUSE in person , that that was my big highlight !
            Gonna feel bad for the children, but for me? I’ve never shook hands or hugged any of the characters.

Comment

• Eagleman
              Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Reimondo View Post
              Gonna feel bad for the children, but for me? I’ve never shook hands or hugged any of the characters.

I have to say ,
              A special time ,even in my old age
              It always nice to get a hugged from a Disney character !
              it makes the day..........

I feel sad for today Kids of all ages !
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Stormy
                Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

M&G have never been my 'thing', but I know others (of all ages) love them.

They're going to have to change how they do them but I have no idea of what would work. I guess they'd could turn into 'no touch' photo-ops. Stand next to but not touching, snap goes PhotoPass, then move along.

I think the princesses already wear gloves and I suppose they could wear fancy masks. But the costumes (face and fur) would (IMO) be real 'carriers' of contagion and it would be impossible to 'spray them down' with disinfectant between guests.
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• merlinjones
                  Minion
                  • Jan 2005

Princesses should not wear face masks -- breaks the illusion - better they stay quarantined in their castles in the clouds.
                  “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• Stormy
                    Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                    Princesses should not wear face masks -- breaks the illusion - better they stay quarantined in their castles in the clouds.
                    I see where you're coming from. But what a good way to get children to be compliant in wearing them. After all, if a Disney Princess, Peter Pan, Gaston, or the rest wear a mask then lots of little people may just follow!

Sometimes there are good reason for breaking the illusions. And sometimes the reality will become the illusion given enough time and encouragement.
                    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

[sorry, wrong thread]
                      Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-02-2020, 10:30 AM.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• merlinjones
                        Minion
                        • Jan 2005

Maybe I should just get a fresh copy of "Disneyland Showtime" and stick with what I know...

Oh, yeah, they won't release or restore those shows. Checkmate!
                        “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                          Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

More details of how Disney plans to bring the characters back in Shanghai Disneyland. Note: These plans may or may not be implemented stateside:

Per WDW News Today
                          With meet-and-greets temporarily suspended due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, characters will be seen in a special procession called Mickey and Friends Express, which will take place several times daily.

To preserve the story of the park, face characters, such as Disney Princesses, will not wear masks, so they must be kept at a safe distance from guests.

Elsewhere in the park, characters will make appearances in groups throughout the park’s lands to welcome guests back to Shanghai Disneyland.
                          I would not surprised if TDA brought the character calvacade back, with show stops removed. Though, I don't think we will see face characters in DLR for a long time.
                          With days to go before Shanghai Disneyland reopens to guests, Disney has released photos of the "character processions" that will take place at the park.

Comment

• tarheelalum
                            Mice chatter
                            • Apr 2015

I think the character meets are done and probably characters in general will be on the chopping block. Plus characters are an added expense to park operations and Disney management is always looking to save a buck and what better excuse to get rid of that expense than a virus.

Comment

• sailor310
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                              Princess Jasmine could wear a mask. Just call it a veil.
                              Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• bayouguy
                                Bayou Native
                                • Jul 2006

Disney could bring back the opening day character costumes...no one would want to get close to them...
                                I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                                  Adventure First, Ad Last
                                  • Mar 2006

They will be back but for the next year-year and a half doesn't make sense to have them
                                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Belushi87
                                    Fan Of Anything Disney
                                    • Apr 2010

i know that meeting the characters is a highlight for most people while in the park especially its if its your first time, but if you go there on a regular basis like once a year or every couple of years, meeting them becomes old. i think people who've already met the characters in the past are probably thinking about not wanting to meet them again on their next trip due to not wanting to get close to them and/or because they've already met them before.
                                    http://youtube.com/belushi87
                                    http://www.jaymisworld.webs.com
                                    http://www.10PinkElephants.tumblr.com

Comment

• MrGoat
                                      Magic Biped

• Apr 2012

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                                      Disney could bring back the opening day character costumes...no one would want to get close to them...
                                      LOL so true...

I don't line up for M&Gs, but I do love it when I meet them strolling around. I'll miss that!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X