Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland and Walt Disney on Disney+?

This is a question to all Disney+ subscribers.

Does Disney+ have all/any of the "Specials" Walt presented regarding Disneyland (and Walt Disney World for that matter)?

One of my main concerns for not pulling the trigger and subscribing to Disney+, is that they did not have the complete series of;

Walt Disney's Disneyland (1954–1958)
    Walt Disney Presents (1958–1961)
    Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (1961–1969)
    The Wonderful World of Disney (1969–1979)
    Disney's Wonderful World (1979–1981)
    Walt Disney (1981–1983)
    The Disney Sunday Movie (1986–1988)
    The Magical World of Disney (1988–1990)
    The Wonderful World of Disney (1991–present)

I do understand that some content from those series' are available in a stand alone form, but in the series form, you were treated to much more.

In addition, is any of the content from the "Walt Disney Treasures" available? I.e. "Kodak Presents Disneyland '59" , "Disneyland Around the Seasons", "EPCOT", ...

That's why I was VERY skeptical when Disney made the statement, "Our entire catalog will be available"
    Last edited by stovk; 05-01-2020, 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

I entirely agree! This content is 90% of my interest in Disney.
    They have only 1 real park episode - “Disneyland: Around the Seasons”
    They are supposed to add 1 more in late May - “Disneyland Goes to the Worlds Fair”
    The nice thing is the image quality, but they need far more of this stuff to keep me happy.
    The Imagineer show was excellent looking, but edited into bits.
    Without Walt hosting shows or the theme park specials, I’ll probably be dropping D+ after the year is up.
    sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

Comment

The good news is that most of those shows are on YouTube in their entirety. The bad news is that the quality isn’t always that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
        The good news is that most of those shows are on YouTube in their entirety. The bad news is that the quality isn’t always that great.
        That is true. I actually watched The Mousketeers at Walt Disney World (1977) last night. Crappy quality but a hoot to watch. Side note - it was nice to see Fort Wilderness in it's prime.
        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
        so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
        WDW Trips: '81
        EPCOT Trips: '93
        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

I love those old Disneyland episodes from The Wonderful World of Color and The Disneyland television show.

I urge everyone here who loves vintage Disneyland to go on your Disney+ App and request for the series to be added, just go to the “Help” option, then go to Feedback and pick Request.

Comment

I've been waiting for refreshed masters of all the anthology shows - not just the Parks episodes -- when was the last time they showed a Ludwig Von Drake or Ranger Woodlore episode? They never even made it to DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
              That's why I was VERY skeptical when Disney made the statement, "Our entire catalog will be available"
              Could you site the quote from an article or something? Because I can’t find it and I don’t recall seeing it in any of their advertising.

Comment

I signed on to Disney+ for a while but found myself wanting for more too. Youtube is a great resource. So many retro-Disney programs from World of Color, Wonderful World of Disney, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
                  Could you site the quote from an article or something? Because I can’t find it and I don’t recall seeing it in any of their advertising.
                  It was widely reported in March of last year that Iger said the entire "Disney Vault" of movies and television would be on Disney+. Here are quotes from two of many stories that appeared, all quoting Iger's investor meeting announcement:

The Disney Vault is open

From today’s investor meeting, held in St. Louis:
                  [Bob Iger]: "The service, which I mentioned earlier is going to launch later in the year, is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television. And at some point fairly soon after launch it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a “vault” and brought out basically every few years will be on the service. And then, of course, we’re producing a number of original movies and original television shows as well that will be Disney-branded."

Disney’s new streaming service will offer entire Disney Vault of classic films

At an investor meeting today, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced that the entire Disney catalog, or “Disney Vault” will be available on the company’s upcoming streaming service, Disney+, when it launches later this year.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

For those of us who remember late nights on the Disney Channel in the late 1990s and early 2000s, this video should bring back some fond memories.
                    Disney, you don't need to reinvent the wheel - just replicate what you gave us about twenty years on the Disney Channel. You've made some good baby steps, but there's a lot more you need to do. So far the vast majority of the stuff I'm interested in I already own on blu-ray and/or DVD, and I'm not paying you to stream stuff I already own. There's a ton of material that hasn't been seen much since you thought that the world needed Lizzie McGuire reruns at 2 am, and that's what many of us want! When you give us that, I'll be happy to subscribe. Until then, I'll stick with my DVDs and blu-rays.
                    Last edited by Zorro; 05-03-2020, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Disney+ only has "The Plausible Impossible" and "Disneyland around the Seasons," and no additional episodes have been added yet, despite the fact that the service told everyone that "Man in Space" and "Mars and Beyond" would be available April 24.

The fact that Disney+ launched with only two of these episodes is ridiculous.

Comment

Personally, I've been very disappointed in Disney+, both in content and in 'service'.

The majority of content seems to be intended for a much younger demographic than me (which is fine if that's what they want). But my main complaint is that the site itself is 'glitchy', slow loading, and cumbersome to navigate.

I'm in the Verizon 'free' period and won't be continuing once that 12 months is over. Even if it means missing season 2 of Mandalorian.
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Check out prop culture - new and interesting show.

Comment

They are adding "The Moon-Spinners" this month at least... and a few cartoons.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                              Personally, I've been very disappointed in Disney+, both in content and in 'service'.

The majority of content seems to be intended for a much younger demographic than me (which is fine if that's what they want). But my main complaint is that the site itself is 'glitchy', slow loading, and cumbersome to navigate.

I'm in the Verizon 'free' period and won't be continuing once that 12 months is over. Even if it means missing season 2 of Mandalorian.
                              great share

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post

A simple Google search will answer your question

Iger "entire Disney film library"
                                We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post
                                  He was referring to Disney's Motion Pictures AKA Movies, not TV shows. Because some TV programs aired on other networks(like NBC), there may be some network copyright wrangling, in order to show some of the programs. Not even owned TV properties have Not all of Disney's television programming has switched over yet.

Putting The Wonderful World of Disney programs on Disney+ would be slightly redundant, as movies shown on TWWoD are already available on Disney+. Unless you really want to see Eisner's commericial bumpers for TWWoD.

Comment

The Disney Vault is open

From today’s investor meeting, held in St. Louis:

[Bob Iger]: "The service, which I mentioned earlier is going to launch later in the year, is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television. And at some point fairly soon after launch it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a “vault” and brought out basically every few years will be on the service. And then, of course, we’re producing a number of original movies and original television shows as well that will be Disney-branded."
                                    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-07-2020, 09:16 PM.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

Iger "entire Disney film library"
                                      That wasn’t what was quoted in the original message.

Comment

>>Putting The Wonderful World of Disney programs on Disney+ would be slightly redundant, as movies shown on TWWoD are already available on Disney+.<<

Well, there's part of the problem, many aren't even familiar with what is in the vault --

The Wonderful World of Disney TV episodes we're all referring to (from Walt's time and after 1954-1984) are not theatrical films, but original episodes of the anthology made for television. This includes mini-series such as The Swamp Fox and Texas John Salughter, animated shows such as those hosted by Ludwig VonDrake (which include original animation), nature shows hosted by Ranger Woodlore, single episode animal stories by the ton, shows about Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and upcoming films, and the doings at Disney studios, original made for TV movies, animated clip shows hosted by Hans Conreid as The Magic Mirror, episodes on the life of Donald Duck, Goofy, Chip & Dale and the rest, holiday shows, and documentaries and unclassifiable. And many of those hosted by Walt (NOT even close to the Michael years).

There is also the matter of 3 seasons of The Mickey Mouse Club (only the first week available), 2 half hour seasons of Zorro (plus 4 one hour episodes), 2 seasons of The Mouse Factory, hundreds of cartoons and featurettes, and various TV specials (from 1950 on), theatrical oddities, promotional films, The New Mickey Mouse Club (disco era), limited series such as Herbie the Love Bug and Zorro & Son, and more - and this is all pre-Disney Channel vault material 100% owned by Walt Disney Productions (...er Company) - no other studios or networks involved.

Not to mention series and specials produced for early Disney Channel like Disney Family Album. And historical footage, archival films, original trailers and the like.

Also - Disney+ doesn't even have all the Walt produced theatrical features yet. (Nor all of the WDP features post-Walt, pre-takeover).
                                        Last edited by merlinjones; 05-08-2020, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X