Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Our Guests"

The constant use of this term is both unprofessional and creepy.

Instead of using the third-person, objective voice to refer to Disneyland guests, and to the guests of Disney's other international-travel destinations, everyone inside the organization now religiously adheres to the "our guests" construction and speaks as though they are appearing in a hostage video in which any deviation from that language will be met with a swift and unpleasant dispatch.

The armies of industrial-organizational psychologists in the human-resources development departments try to have personnel feel a sense of ownership over Disneyland, the other international-travel destinations, and the company, as a whole, but these unspoken rules are counterproductive to that end. Moreover, they are off-putting to the general public and to the people who, in fact, comprise the guests.

At the very least, the term should be confined to internal use only.

Historically, the term "guest" derived from the Walt-era management groupthink that Disneyland's front-line employees were, in practice as well as in philosophy, the Company's representatives to the public; that they were to see themselves as hosts and treat every customer as their guest. As old-timer CMs will testify, "every Disneyland visitor is a V.I.P." wasn't PR-babble -- it was taught in the Disneyland University training program and enforced inside the berm. The result was Disneyland's famous reputation of world-class customer service.

Beginning with the Eisner regime in the mid-80s, Disneyland's standards of employee selection, pay and training were reduced as a method of raising profits. As employee morale declined and customer service diminished, Eisner's new DL management began the conspicuous use of terms like "guest" and "Cast Member" -- not just for public consumption, but in-house, in a sort of corporate groupspeak.

The increase in employee-and customer-honoring groupspeak paralleled the transition in management philosophy from that of Walt's customer-centric traditions, to the new "maximum profits" of the Eisner regime -- a transition that was accompanied by an increase in the honoring of Walt in Disneyland publications and Company PR.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

I love the external use of the word guest. Little touches like this are part of the magic. Keeping it internal is arbitrary. I checked the date to see if it was April 1st. With the quarantine, dates have been as irrelevant as this complaint.

This reminds me of a thread a while back discussing whether girls/women should be called princess at Disneyland. It’s just a way of making someone feel a little more special (even if it’s said to everyone). Since princess is aimed only at females, guest is comparatively more innocent and innocuous. Thus, it just feels like objections to it are just trying to flame Disney rather than point out an issue. Removing guest from the CM vocabulary wouldn’t improve the customer experience overall and thus I don’t think it can be called valid criticism.
      Last edited by Jesser-pie; 05-11-2020, 09:58 AM.
      APs
      Burning Cabin
      Splash Mountain
      Star Wars
      Fantasy Faire
      Smoking
      Pirates
      Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
        I love the external use of the word guest. Little touches like this are part of the magic. Keeping it internal is arbitrary. I checked the date to see if it was April 1st. With the quarantine, dates have been as irrelevant as this complaint.
        What Prag's OP addresses is the blatant disconnect between Disney's embarrassingly forced PR-speak and its practice.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

What Prag's OP addresses is the blatant disconnect between Disney's embarrassingly forced PR-speak and its practice.
          With all due respect to the OP and you, I feel this is reaching. Blatant is also assuming we all feel the same way. Is Disney’s PR sickeningly sweet? Yes. Are Disney practices always welcoming? No. However, the term guest is not the problem. In this scenario, removing the the term wouldn’t change Disney’s poor practices.
          APs
          Burning Cabin
          Splash Mountain
          Star Wars
          Fantasy Faire
          Smoking
          Pirates
          Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

With all due respect to the OP and you, I feel this is reaching. Blatant is also assuming we all feel the same way.
            Not at all. Although many have the same viewpoint that I do about Disney's use of "guest" and the stark difference between what Disney says and what they practice in that regard, not all do -- nor do I assume that they do.

It's true that many DL fans will feel it is reaching. It's also true that many with experience on the inside during the transition to the Eisner regime feel it barely describes the tip of the iceberg.

...In this scenario, removing the the term wouldn’t change Disney’s poor practices.
            I couldn't agree more, sad to say.
            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-11-2020, 10:36 AM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

I like being referred to as a guest, rather than as a customer. I hope that never changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                I like being referred to as a guest, rather than as a customer. I hope that never changes.
                I agree. My wish is that Disney some day returns to a management philosophy in which they really mean it, rather than use it as a PR buzzword.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Perhaps we should be referred to as "marks".
                  Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

"Be Our Guest"
                    Should be Disney motto , to there theme parks.
                    IMO
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

i remember that time I charged $200 p/guest for a thanksgiving dinner at my house last year.

Comment

Calling a Disneyland visitor a "guest" was ground breaking and unique in the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

But now you go to Target to buy toothpaste and they call you a "guest". The word has lost all its meaning in the last 30 years, it's now just a replacement word for customer. I don't feel like a guest at Target, do you?

You can call me an astronaut or a philharmonic conductor, but if you are just scanning my toothpaste and asking if I want to apply for the Target Card, it doesn't actually make me feel like an astronaut or the conductor of the LA philharmonic. Nor does simply calling me a guest make me feel like a guest.

The word has been cheapened into meaningless drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
                          i remember that time I charged $200 p/guest for a thanksgiving dinner at my house last year.
                          And upcharged them $5 for gravy.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

It's a word. And words only have the amount of power that WE give them. Personally, I don't give it any 'real' power at all.

I like it better than 'customer' or 'client' neither of which really describes the relationship between us and the CMs that spend a day or more interacting with each other. Those interactions normally entail much more than just throwing food on a tray or bagging a purchase. Or even swabbing the restroom floor.

To the majority of front line CMs, I think we ARE guests. As far as 'corporate' goes, some of them do care, some could care less. Those that care do consider us guests. As for the rest, they can take a hike.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Disney is part of the Tourism industry, where no matter the locale, each Tourist is referred to as a 'guests'. Even if you think the term has become hollow, it would be unprofessional to drop it. What do you replace it with?
                              -People
                              -Customers
                              -Clients
                              -Disney Fanatics
                              -Impassioned MiceChatters & other people
                              -YOU(with heavy emphasis on 2nd person language)
                              -Shmucks or $hmuck$ (depending on your current opinions of Disney)
                              -IT(with heavy emphasis on 3rd person language)
                              -WE (All encompassing, coming together, group think.........wait, this language is for a CULT!)

-Our Cult
                              Last edited by Spongeocto4; 05-12-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

This reminds me of a thread a while back discussing whether girls/women should be called princess at Disneyland. It’s just a way of making someone feel a little more special (even if it’s said to everyone). Since princess is aimed only at females, guest is comparatively more innocent and innocuous. Thus, it just feels like objections to it are just trying to flame Disney rather than point out an issue. Removing guest from the CM vocabulary wouldn’t improve the customer experience overall and thus I don’t think it can be called valid criticism.
                                The phrase being discussed is "our guests," not "guests."

Comment

Here is one of the most recent examples of the unprofessional, creepy, and near-religious use of "our guests."

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                    Here is one of the most recent examples of the unprofessional, creepy, and near-religious use of "our guests."
                                    Good Lord. What part of "social distance" and "wear a mask" do those two people not understand?!

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                      I wouldn't call it creepy. I feel like it's more bad grammar and repetitive word choice, than anything. "Ours" can be swapped out with "The". Or "They" can be used, when referring to guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                        To the majority of front line CMs, I think we ARE guests. As far as 'corporate' goes, some of them do care, some could care less. Those that care do consider us guests. As for the rest, they can take a hike.
                                        Having been initiated when Disney University was a real thing and not just a label, you were "our guests". As others have mentioned, it was a real, groundbreaking thing, and has absolutely been cheapened by Target and others co-opting the phrase.

Today, however, to Corporate, you are not a guest. You are a wallet. And Cast Members are not family but a Liability.

When Eisner was in charge, the joke was that Eisner's ultimate goal was to just put a box on Habor Blvd and have people toss money into it as they drove by. Not far from the truth.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X