Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

I wouldn't call it creepy. I feel like it's more bad grammar and repetitive word choice, than anything. "Ours" can be swapped out with "The". Or "They" can be used, when referring to guests.
    Well, I agree here that it's not creepy.
    Everyone is under so much pressure right now that getting creative in the verbiage is probably the last priority. Just getting through the interview and through each day of this crisis has to be a hurdle. I imagine Mr. Bolstein is quite tired.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Good Lord. What part of "social distance" and "wear a mask" do those two people not understand?!
      That was first thing.......I also notice
      Amazing
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

What visiting DL, I feel more like a 'Target' or 'Walking ATM' than an actual guest........

Some CMs though, are pretty good at making me feel like a welcome guest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

Having been initiated when Disney University was a real thing and not just a label, you were "our guests". As others have mentioned, it was a real, groundbreaking thing, and has absolutely been cheapened by Target and others co-opting the phrase.

Today, however, to Corporate, you are not a guest. You are a wallet. And Cast Members are not family but a Liability.

When Eisner was in charge, the joke was that Eisner's ultimate goal was to just put a box on Habor Blvd and have people toss money into it as they drove by. Not far from the truth.
          I worked for a Govt agency that referred to us (employees) as their 'human capital'. Now that was demeaning.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I wouldn't call it creepy. I feel like it's more bad grammar and repetitive word choice, than anything. "Ours" can be swapped out with "The". Or "They" can be used, when referring to guests.
            I agree. They need to choose a pronoun to replace "our guests" now and again so they don't use the same subject word over and over.

"As our guests enter the ride, CMs ensure that all guests are seated in alternating rows so that all guests are maintaining social distancing" (paraphrased) is such a poorly worded sentence.

"I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
              "As our guests enter the ride, CMs ensure that all guests are seated in alternating rows so that all guests are maintaining social distancing" (paraphrased) is such a poorly worded sentence.

As our guests enter the ride, CMs ensure that they are seated in alternating rows so that everyone is maintaining social distancing.

Comment

As our guests enter the ride, CMs ensure that they are seated in alternating rows so that everyone is maintaining social distancing.
                Exactly, Lighthope.

See PI? It's not creepy. You're just a grammarphile. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Disney is part of the Tourism industry, where no matter the locale, each Tourist is referred to as a 'guests'. Even if you think the term has become hollow, it would be unprofessional to drop it. What do you replace it with?

-Our Cult
                  Actually I don't think you are too far off the mark on this one.

Looking back over my many years of visiting the Park, some "Guests" have changed into something which could be regarded as a "cult". Many times I have had the displeasure of being around those "Guests" who almost think Disneyland is their own personal Park. You know the types. They can spit out statistics such as how many bricks make up Main Street, or how many effects are in the Haunted Mansion. They stand in the Haunted Mansion foyer and parrott the Ghost Host's lines for all to hear. They will plan out their day to the last millisecond, making sure to hit every Attraction in the most efficient way via Fast/Max Pass. They're the Cosplay "Guests" who look at the "outsiders" as if we're invading their kingdom.
                  Last edited by Laugh-O-Grams; 05-20-2020, 09:08 AM.
                  We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                  The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post
                    Looking back over my many years of visiting the Park, some "Guests" have changed into something which could be regarded as a "cult". Many times I have had the displeasure of being around those "Guests" who almost think Disneyland is their own personal Park. You know the types.
                    Ah, the APer. Nothing would turn me off as a CM than someone making sure you knew that they were an APer. As if that afforded them some sort of special privilege.

APers weren't guests. They were the relative that kept coming over far too often and overstayed their welcome.

Now, I am talking about a very minor subset of Annual Passholder. Most APers were great people who enjoyed the park, and maybe even some who loved the park so much that they actually did know how many bricks made up Main Street. Both the unknown APers and the APers who loved the Park were just completely great to be around.

It was that other subset of APers, those who felt like they owned the place and you and everything else. Those who felt as if they were an extension of Walt himself and should be afforded their own Ambassador whenever they showed up. Those APers can make a good day into a bad one.

Comment

Ah, the APer. Nothing would turn me off as a CM than someone making sure you knew that they were an APer. As if that afforded them some sort of special privilege.

APers weren't guests. They were the relative that kept coming over far too often and overstayed their welcome.

Now, I am talking about a very minor subset of Annual Passholder. Most APers were great people who enjoyed the park, and maybe even some who loved the park so much that they actually did know how many bricks made up Main Street. Both the unknown APers and the APers who loved the Park were just completely great to be around.

It was that other subset of APers, those who felt like they owned the place and you and everything else. Those who felt as if they were an extension of Walt himself and should be afforded their own Ambassador whenever they showed up. Those APers can make a good day into a bad one.

It looks like nothing has changed since day one of the Annual Pass. We called them APP's (Annual Pass Person.) They were demanding and entitled. I feel better knowing now that the "originals" are now the subset...sorry APP's...they were indeed a "class unto their own"...and I will stop there...

Comment

I think people on this board are unfair to APs. I could make the same comments about day trippers/tourists who say things like, "I paid X dollars to bring my family here so I'm going to do what I want." I hear comments like that all the time in the parks. Obviously those aren't APs. Most of the posts wanting the parks to themselves are the hotel crowd wanting DL to be open only for hotel guests.

The only time we've had trouble from another guest, it was someone in that ticket-holder group who made some racially charged comments directed at my husband along with the "I paid x dollars nonsense" over seats at a table. (We had food. They didn't. We all got there at the same time. We offered to share the table. Racism ensued.) Some people are just entitled. Some of those people have APs and some buy single or multi-day tickets. I expect certain posters here to bash locals because clearly those people just hate Californians, but It's really disappointing to see former CMs join in with this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                          ...ticket-holder group who made some racially charged comments directed at my husband along with the "I paid x dollars nonsense" over seats at a table. (We had food. They didn't. We all got there at the same time. We offered to share the table. Racism ensued.)

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                            Here is one of the most recent examples of the unprofessional, creepy, and near-religious use of "our guests."
                            I thought the same thing when I first saw this.

You're pushing the opening of Shanghai, and what they're doing to protect the guests, but you're blatantly standing there without a face mask on, while the CMs behind you have them on. In other parts of the video he's handling things without gloves on. Just odd all around. You have to set the bar if you're the leader, and be a role model.

That's Disney nowadays though, in all its corporate mentalities. The CMs see themselves as one group, with their "bosses" being those other guys and gals who rank above them.
                            When Walt was around, it was all about being in the show together.

As for the use of "guest," I agree.

It's thrown around so much it doesn't mean what it used to mean when Walt set his philosophy into motion.

Eisner and Walt, both movie/TV guys.

But Walt was 1000 times more the visionary. Eisner was a TV/movie exec, and that's where it stopped.

So it doesn't come as a surprise that the Disney corporate mentality of today would use it as a corporate term as opposed to Walt's use of the word as a personal, connected, special, and family-driven term.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X