Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Attractions Won't Open? How would you change them?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Attractions Won't Open? How would you change them?

Hello all,

With rumours abound and the opening of the Shanghai parks I thought it would time for a nice little bit of armchair imagineering and speculation. I think we all agree that things like the fireworks show and fantasmic are probably off the table for awhile. However, I wonder what your thoughts are on certain rides, which ones may not open because it would be almost impossible to physically distance, or if they did physically distance the ride itself would then be so hampered in its operation it would not be worth running. How would you fix some of them? What are some rides with portions people may not have thought about?

Here are some of mine.

GoTG - lots of people probably think you can put a family in each row, but rows are very close together front and back, you would probably only be able to use four rows a vehicle, front left, back left, front right, back right. Would they open the ride with this very limited capacity?

Storybook Land Canal Boats - With a tiny queue, and no means to physically distance other than having a single family per boat do they even open? Any thoughts or ideas?

Tomorrow Land Subs - Same as above, the boarding process, the enclosed space with lots of people, do they even bother opening?

Here are some outliers that I wonder about in terms of solutions....

The tiny queue spaces in all the Fantasyland attractions, how do they have social distancing here without that lend becoming a clogged mess? Thoughts?

HM's stretching room, again a small enclosed space with little room for social distancing

Issue each guest an N-95 mask and some goggles?

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
      Issue each guest an N-95 mask and some goggles?
      Everywhere is now a splash zone!

In all honesty there aren't enough N95 masks to cover that many guests, they also need to be fitted properly with a device so that scenario is highly unlikely

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

Everywhere is now a splash zone!

In all honesty there aren't enough N95 masks to cover that many guests, they also need to be fitted properly with a device so that scenario is highly unlikely
        I suppose so. But it would make all attractions do-able. Most really cannot be, if you consider both the queue and the attraction.

I can see a situation where most attractions are unavailable, but the park open to limited numbers for a day of mostly shopping, eating, and enjoying the atmosphere.
        This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Comment

Online boarding passes for everything!
          "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

My favorite rides are GotG, Indy, and BTM. I think only the latter would open in first phase. Guardians and Indy are too enclosed ish. I also think Star Tours and Smugglers Run would stay closed. Subs should close forever.
            "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I suppose so. But it would make all attractions do-able. Most really cannot be, if you consider both the queue and the attraction.

I can see a situation where most attractions are unavailable, but the park open to limited numbers for a day of mostly shopping, eating, and enjoying the atmosphere.
              This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
              A lot of people, especially locals, can go and just do those things. I like to at least go on a few rides each time I go, but I know a lot of people can just shop and eat and walk around.
              "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

A lot of people, especially locals, can go and just do those things. I like to at least go on a few rides each time I go, but I know a lot of people can just shop and eat and walk around.
                Right now, I can't imagine a trip to DL without the Haunted Mansion. But ask me again after another month of stay-at-home. lol

Comment

So much of the park is built with maximum capacity in mind, it’s difficult to imagine an experience for a lot of attractions where you are maintaining a bit of distance from others.

I see the same attractions as everyone else in my list. Anything where a lot of people are confined in a small space would be closed. Subs, GOTG, Star Tours, MF:SR, The Canal boats, The canoes, Tiki Room, Monorail.

Tom Sawyer Island, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail and most of Toon Town are kids germ factories and I suspect would be closed.

I also bet they will only use the forward facing train cars as well on the DLRR. Anything where you have to climb over someone else to get in, will likely be closed.

Everything else would be interesting for sure. Jungle cruise boats no more than half full. Every other row on Pirates and Small World boats. Queues with 6 foot markers would reduce capacity down to a third of normal or worse. It would still look like a ghost town I think to make it in during the first few months of a partially open park.
                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                  Walt Disney World
                  Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                  1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                  2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

I expect the stateside parks to open under similar restrictions to those at Shanghai Disneyland. Anaheim will probably open its parks at 30% occupancy which will help reduce the number of people in each queue and facilitate social distancing.

I agree that attractions like the Subs, Star Tours, and Smugglers Run with their close confines will remain closed for a while. But even attractions like Jungle Cruise and Storybook Land where guests normally get packed in tightly together could space people further apart by loading boats half full. Queues wouldn't get too congested if the parks themselves are only admitting a third of their capacity of guests.

The same might hold true for Haunted Mansion. They could predetermine a certain number of guests allowed into the foyer and the gallery, with cast members reminding them to keep a safe distance from one another. Although the Mansion may not be able to open right away for other reasons. Wasn't it still under an extensive refurb prior to the pandemic lockdown? Doesn't Disney still need to finish that project?

As for GotG, that's a good point brought up about the close proximity of all the rows of seats. I would not be surprised it remains closed until Avengers Campus officially opens. Maybe they will make a few quick and easy enhancements to it so they can claim it as something new for the land's opening.

I'm sure Disney (as well as every other theme park operator in the world) is watching Shanghai very closely. If the practices there are successful we'll see those implemented and adapted to the rest of the Disney parks. This is going to be very interesting.
                    Last edited by C. Andrew Nelson; 05-11-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

One thing to bear in mind is that the distancing is not six feet between each person but rather six feet between each group. I can see some rides opening here such as Guardians where one or two groups at a time can ride depending on their size. The subs and the side-facing train cars will have to be put on hold at first.

Comment

On all the roller coasters, everyone is screaming and expelling particles. As long as everyone wears masks it wouldn’t be so bad I guess. I’m Waiting for vaccine or at least better testing and therapeutics.

Comment

Right now, I can't imagine a trip to DL without the Haunted Mansion. But ask me again after another month of stay-at-home. lol
                          I can. I was at Disneyland two days before the park closed. The Haunted Mansion was down for a refurb and I really missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by brian11811 View Post
                            On all the roller coasters, everyone is screaming and expelling particles. As long as everyone wears masks it wouldn’t be so bad I guess. I’m Waiting for vaccine or at least better testing and therapeutics.
                            I was going to comment on that also. If you're not the first person in the car, all the virus particles contained in aerosols everyone is breathing out are flying back into your face. Remember most masks just catch your big sneeze/cough droplets, not the sub-micron virus particles in an aerosol.
                            Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                              The same might hold true for Haunted Mansion. They could predetermine a certain number of guests allowed into the foyer and the gallery, with cast members reminding them to keep a safe distance from one another. Although the Mansion may not be able to open right away for other reasons. Wasn't it still under an extensive refurb prior to the pandemic lockdown? Doesn't Disney still need to finish that project?
                              Yep, HM's refurbishment was interrupted. Along with the King Arthur's Carousel and the Red Car Trolley's. Even if the parks reopen by Fall, I expect HMH to return instead, with regular HM not reopening by 2021.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique already seems off the table as Shanghai's version is already shut down.

Subs of course.

I wonder if certain thrill rides will be forced closed, such as Space Mountain. If each car has to get cleaned after use, this could cause a backup and the ride breaks down.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post

I was going to comment on that also. If you're not the first person in the car, all the virus particles contained in aerosols everyone is breathing out are flying back into your face. Remember most masks just catch your big sneeze/cough droplets, not the sub-micron virus particles in an aerosol.
                                What about something like Haunted Mansion? Although you are in separate ride vehicles every single one moves through the air that every other vehicle just went through seconds earlier. There's potential for a lot of airborne particles from other guests entering your eyes, mouth, or nose. The six foot rule for social distancing flies out the window for people on rides. I think outdoor and/or fast moving rides would be safer but just you're still getting particles from guests ahead of you blown in your face.

Rides aren't the only problem. People will be walking around the park eating churros or sipping their Starbucks with their masks off. I know nowhere is totally safe but it just seems like theme parks are a particularly bad place to be during a pandemic.

Comment

And with reduced capacity and attractions, what will happen to the admission prices?

Comment

Originally posted by brian11811 View Post
                                    but then roller coasters with masks can be a choking hazard

Comment

One of my favorite things is the Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama - but I imagine such a small, touchable space will be difficult, unless they stagger guests entry far apart and clean constantly.

Comment

Many attractions would have to limit one family/group per ride vehicle which would drastically reduced capacity.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X