Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Attractions Won't Open? How would you change them?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
    One of my favorite things is the Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama - but I imagine such a small, touchable space will be difficult, unless they stagger guests entry far apart and clean constantly.
    They'll also need to make sure everyone is wearing masks, and that they keep their masks on while they're inside. Enclosed spaces like the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-thru can become centers of virus transmission from asymptomatic people, as this new research demonstrates:

Experiment shows human speech generates droplets that linger in the air for more than 8 minutes

"Ordinary speech can emit small respiratory droplets that linger in the air for at least eight minutes and potentially much longer, according to a study published Wednesday that could help explain why infections of the coronavirus so often cluster in nursing homes, households, conferences, cruise ships and other confined spaces with limited air circulation.

The report, from researchers at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the University of Pennsylvania, was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a peer-reviewed journal. It is based on an experiment that used laser light to study the number of small respiratory droplets emitted through human speech...."
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

If you die in the Haunted Mansion can you just stay there?

Comment

Originally posted by Quilty View Post
        One thing to bear in mind is that the distancing is not six feet between each person but rather six feet between each group. I can see some rides opening here such as Guardians where one or two groups at a time can ride depending on their size. The subs and the side-facing train cars will have to be put on hold at first.
        I rode the Subs on my last trip in February for the first time in probably 7 years. I feel like I caught a shooting star, given that it probably won't be open for an extended period.

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post

I was going to comment on that also. If you're not the first person in the car, all the virus particles contained in aerosols everyone is breathing out are flying back into your face. Remember most masks just catch your big sneeze/cough droplets, not the sub-micron virus particles in an aerosol.
        I've had the same thought. I bought N99 masks for me and some family members well before the pandemic hit to protect against California wildfires. Unfortunately I am well aware that most people don't even have filters in their masks so they don't even qualify as N95. All of these things are making a trip to Disneyland less likely for me.

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
        Yep, HM's refurbishment was interrupted. Along with the King Arthur's Carousel and the Red Car Trolley's. Even if the parks reopen by Fall, I expect HMH to return instead, with regular HM not reopening by 2021.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique already seems off the table as Shanghai's version is already shut down.

Subs of course.

I wonder if certain thrill rides will be forced closed, such as Space Mountain. If each car has to get cleaned after use, this could cause a backup and the ride breaks down.
        For some reason, I think the parks will hit their maximum capacity, even if that is only 30% of what it regularly is. A large amount of people and APs are just itching to get back and aren't incredibly fearful of getting/spreading the virus.

With that in mind, I suspect Disney won't bring back HMH if they can help it. If the parks are hitting capacity, that combined with the budget cuts they are likely to undertake might mean scaled-back holiday celebrations. I would want Disney to continue business as usual as much as possible within the park, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

You bring up a great point about Space Mountain. I remember back when Micechat used to let CMs write guest columns, someone said that running the control room for Space Mountain was the most difficult job one could have in attractions because of the timing. I think that is just because they have a high number of cars on the track at any given time. If they only send 2 or 3 coasters through at a time, maybe they could give themselves enough time to disinfect each car between rides. I'm not certain though, so who knows.

Originally posted by Grand Circle Tour View Post

What about something like Haunted Mansion? Although you are in separate ride vehicles every single one moves through the air that every other vehicle just went through seconds earlier. There's potential for a lot of airborne particles from other guests entering your eyes, mouth, or nose. The six foot rule for social distancing flies out the window for people on rides. I think outdoor and/or fast moving rides would be safer but just you're still getting particles from guests ahead of you blown in your face.

Rides aren't the only problem. People will be walking around the park eating churros or sipping their Starbucks with their masks off. I know nowhere is totally safe but it just seems like theme parks are a particularly bad place to be during a pandemic.
        I don't remember if I heard Bob Chapek say it in an interview or if I read it in a Disney survey, but were they not going to be disinfecting vehicles in between riders getting on/off? If they do that, I think Haunted Mansion will suffer immensely. Every 5 seconds you would get the "playful spooks have interrupted our tour" message as they pause the omnimover to clean it out. Or maybe they'll have a backstage team working super fast in between when people unload and the loading platform. It should all be very interesting to see.

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

They'll also need to make sure everyone is wearing masks, and that they keep their masks on while they're inside. Enclosed spaces like the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-thru can become centers of virus transmission from asymptomatic people, as this new research demonstrates:

Experiment shows human speech generates droplets that linger in the air for more than 8 minutes

"Ordinary speech can emit small respiratory droplets that linger in the air for at least eight minutes and potentially much longer, according to a study published Wednesday that could help explain why infections of the coronavirus so often cluster in nursing homes, households, conferences, cruise ships and other confined spaces with limited air circulation.

The report, from researchers at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the University of Pennsylvania, was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a peer-reviewed journal. It is based on an experiment that used laser light to study the number of small respiratory droplets emitted through human speech...."
        All of the information being uncovered is making it more unlikely that I will visit the parks when they reopen. Unfortunately there's just no way I can expect others to be responsible in such an environment with so many risks like these. It really is a shame because I wasn't even halfway through my AP tenure, and it was my first time having a pass since 2013.

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
        If you die in the Haunted Mansion can you just stay there?
        Lol. As long as you don't leave any ashes behind, you can be the 1000th ghost!

Comment

One possibility, is that they may alternate vehicles when sanitizing. So for instance:

(Let just use Space Mountain as an example)
          Rocket A&B are dispatched with guests, whilen Rockets C&D dispatched with none.

When Rockets A&B return, guests unload and CMs Spray-sanitize vehicles. A&B are dispatched with NO guests for the sanitizer to air dry off. C & D returns already empty and loads guests up and is dispatched.

Then when A & B return, they load and C&D get sanitized.

Repeat Ad nauseam

Comment

One possibility, is that they may alternate vehicles when sanitizing. So for instance:

(Let just use Space Mountain as an example)
            Rocket A&B are dispatched with guests, whilen Rockets C&D dispatched with none.

When Rockets A&B return, guests unload and CMs Spray-sanitize vehicles. A&B are dispatched with NO guests for the sanitizer to air dry off. C & D returns already empty and loads guests up and is dispatched.

Then when A & B return, they load and C&D get sanitized.

Repeat Ad nauseam
            That would probably be a very good work around until things calm down.

On a side note, I would avoid getting my Covid-19 information from MiceChat. Most of it is wrong or being sensationalized and out of context.

​​​​​​Be safe, take care of yourself and your family, and live your life. Remember, even the smartest people get it wrong.
            “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
            WDW Trips: '81
            EPCOT Trips: '93
            Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Limit capacity to 1/3 the normal crowds and tell everyone upfront, if your high risk, do not enter. Make everyone who does show up, sign a wavier at the gate, and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                Limit capacity to 1/3 the normal crowds and tell everyone upfront, if your high risk, do not enter. Make everyone who does show up, sign a wavier at the gate, and enjoy.
                Customer waviers wouldn't protect Disney against lawsuits from non-customers who get infected by customers who contracted the virus at a Disney venue (which can be proved by before-and-after tests). Disney would be especially vulnerable if the only screening they provide is a temperature check, which is useless for detecting asymptomatic carriers. They'd be even more vulnerable if videos showed instances of customers without masks, or with masks improperly worn, and showed CMs not enforcing the mask rules.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Customer waviers wouldn't protect Disney against lawsuits from non-customers who get infected by customers who contracted the virus at a Disney venue (which can be proved by before-and-after tests). Disney would be especially vulnerable if the only screening they provide is a temperature check, which is useless for detecting asymptomatic carriers. They'd be even more vulnerable if videos showed instances of customers without masks, or with masks improperly worn, and showed CMs not enforcing the mask rules.
                  I know. I just want to make it enjoyable again. Disneyland is going to stink with a bunch of restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                    I know. I just want to make it enjoyable again. Disneyland is going to stink with a bunch of restrictions.
                    It will stink, and that's for sure. For how long, I've got no idea. But I am certain that there will come a time when we humans have kicked the royal butt on this damn zombie bundle of RNA. A time when the present that we're now living will be a part of history.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

It will stink, and that's for sure. For how long, I've got no idea. But I am certain that there will come a time when we humans have kicked the royal butt on this damn zombie bundle of RNA. A time when the present that we're now living will be a part of history.
                      Yeah, for a lot of folks it seems like this virus and strict restrictions will last forever. But people should realize there have been many pandemics before and this is not the first, nor will it be the last. Eventually, things do go back to normalcy, as hard as it seems to imagine right now while we are in the thick of it. It took a good 3-4 years during the Spanish Flu for things to start to return to normal. It will be the same with this.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Yeah, for a lot of folks it seems like this virus and strict restrictions will last forever. But people should realize there have been many pandemics before and this is not the first, nor will it be the last. Eventually, things do go back to normalcy, as hard as it seems to imagine right now while we are in the thick of it. It took a good 3-4 years during the Spanish Flu for things to start to return to normal. It will be the same with this.
                        Very true. For a lot of people, the history they are living in is the worst. Many fall prey to the false consensus effect.
                        We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                        The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

"the Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama", that's one of my favorit

Comment

$20 says Chapek uses the virus as an excuse to bulldoze the subs for another store.
                            Disney visits over the years:
                            • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
                            • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
                            • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
                            • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
                            • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
                            • Disneyland, August 2007
                            • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
                            • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
                            • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
                            • Disneyland, June 2013
                            • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
                            • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
                            • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
                            • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

One piece of the puzzle is new technology in disinfectant products. Products like Microban (which you can now purchase in a spray for home use) make surfaces uninhabitable for viruses and germs for long periods of time. The home grade product lasts 24 hours on surfaces. I am sure that more expensive, longer lasting, industrial strength products will be part of the plan and likely are already being tested in Shanghai. If Disney just needed to walk around and blast every surface nightly with a fire hose of long lasting disinfectant that would dramatically change the capacity issues as wipe downs would not really be necessary. Most of the cleaning would really become "anti-virus theater". Then they would just need to address air filtration and circulation in certain places... I do see this being a great excuse however to ask the public to "say farewell" to the Subs; there is no way that can reopen. And with the newest update from the World Health Organization who is now backing off the "asymptomatic carriers" as primary spreaders - more of the distancing guidelines might change, with the caveat that more screening would be needed prior to entry.

Comment

Originally posted by BNSF1995 View Post
                                $20 says Chapek uses the virus as an excuse to bulldoze the subs for another store.
                                This! More cheap Chinese made garbage marked up 10k%. I can see this happening for sure. Tons of money saved on maintenance of Nemo and you know how cheapek hates to spend money on park maintenance.

Comment

I posted this in a thread I started and then found this thread Wife and I were discussing the types of changes we will see at Disneyland when it does re-open. The one we talk about at great length was Star Tours. We are hoping they create a non 3-D version of it so that the glasses will not be needed. This is something we prefer under normal circumstances LOL but could totally see it being implemented due to new measures. Also staggered seating on the Star Speeders. Every other row blocked off and every other seat in the open rows. We went over a bunch but Star Tours got the conversation started for us as we hate the 3-D on it anyways. Obviously we have seen what markings on the ground in Shanghai look like so that is a good indication of what the lines will look like here. Any one else thought of this for the actual logistics of the attractions?
                                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                  My company had a special night at the park
                                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                  NYE 2011 trip report
                                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                  Leap year 24 hour report
                                  New DCA trip report
                                  NYE 2012
                                  HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                                    I posted this in a thread I started and then found this thread Wife and I were discussing the types of changes we will see at Disneyland when it does re-open. The one we talk about at great length was Star Tours. We are hoping they create a non 3-D version of it so that the glasses will not be needed. This is something we prefer under normal circumstances LOL but could totally see it being implemented due to new measures. Also staggered seating on the Star Speeders. Every other row blocked off and every other seat in the open rows. We went over a bunch but Star Tours got the conversation started for us as we hate the 3-D on it anyways. Obviously we have seen what markings on the ground in Shanghai look like so that is a good indication of what the lines will look like here. Any one else thought of this for the actual logistics of the attractions?
                                    In that case, just return the ride to its 1987 state for a time.
                                    Disney visits over the years:
                                    • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
                                    • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
                                    • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
                                    • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
                                    • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
                                    • Disneyland, August 2007
                                    • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
                                    • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
                                    • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
                                    • Disneyland, June 2013
                                    • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
                                    • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
                                    • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
                                    • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

Based on recent guidelines, I see the folllowing closed upon reopening:
                                      Disneyland
                                      Bibbidi Bobiddi Boutique
                                      Tarzan Treehouse (or without the camp's play area)
                                      The Shooting Gallery
                                      Donald's Boat
                                      Goofy's House
                                      Mickey's House
                                      Minnie's House
                                      Pixie Hollow
                                      The Royal Hall
                                      Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
                                      Onward's Preview at the Magic Eye(possibly closed permanently)
                                      Oga's Cantina
                                      Star Wars Launch Bay's Meet & Greet
                                      Haunted Mansion(From Delayed Refurbishment)
                                      King Arthur's Carousel(From Delayed Refurbishment)
                                      Snow White Scary Adventures(From Delayed Refurbishment)
                                      Splash Mountain(From recent backlash)
                                      Fantasmic!!
                                      Mickey's Mix Magic(Or Projection version only)
                                      Magic Happens Parade
                                      Mickey and the Magical Map
                                      All Roaming characters

DCA
                                      Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
                                      Frozen at the Hyperion
                                      Turtle Talk
                                      World of Color
                                      Guardians' Backlot performance
                                      Mickey's Philharmagic
                                      All Marvel photo ops in Hollywoodland
                                      All Pixar photo ops on Pixar Pier
                                      All Bars in DCA
                                      All other roaming characters
                                      Red Car Trolley(From Delayed Refurbishment).

Comment

Based on recent guidelines, I see the folllowing closed upon reopening:
                                        Disneyland
                                        The Shooting Gallery
                                        Hadn’t thought about this one.

Not sure if Frontierland will sound like Frontierland without the sound of gunfire coming from the shooting gallery.

I can actually hear it in my head as I write this.
                                        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                        Walt Disney World
                                        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Hadn’t thought about this one.

Not sure if Frontierland will sound like Frontierland without the sound of gunfire coming from the shooting gallery.

I can actually hear it in my head as I write this.
                                          This post had sound. I could also hear it as clear as day.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X