Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh D'Amaro new head of Parks

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Josh D'Amaro new head of Parks

    I'm so happy. He genuinely cares about cast members and the guest experience. He's perfect for the role!

  • #2
    Source
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Rebecca Campbell moved back to TV
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Bob Weiss put back in charge of imagineering

        Comment


        • #5
          I think that this is excellent news. From everything I've read, D'Amaro seems to genuinely care a LOT about Disney Cast Members. He seems to have a philosophy that aligns with the importance of execs in charge of the parks actually spending time in the parks, and wants to ensure that Disney is a great place to work for all of the theme park CMs.

          Some day down the road, D'Amaro will be CEO of the corporation.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by spinycactus View Post

            Some day down the road, D'Amaro will be CEO of the corporation.
            God I sure hope so.

            Comment


            • #7
              As someone who has been so critical of management and the parks division, all of these moves are putting executives exactly where you would want them to be. To think that Josh could go from being named president of Disneyland Resort in 2018 to head of the entire parks division in less than 2 years is nothing short of meteoric, and a testament to the love both Cast and guests alike have for him.

              Rebecca Campbell is moving back to TV because apparently her position at Disneyland wasn't a good fit. All of this makes me think that sometimes executives get so caught up in grooming talent for leadership roles that they needlessly switch their jobs for them just to see if they can handle it (think Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs).

              My question is: who is making these calls? Did Iger originally cause this leadership morass only for Chapek to undo it a few months later? Or did Chapek try something different at the parks level, only to have a shadow Iger tell him to stop playing games and just promote good managers suited to their talents?

              I suppose we can speculate forever, and I am still wary of Chapek running the rest of the company writ large. However, given that he didn't seem to particularly enjoy the parks division before, I hope that he just defers to Josh and his team for most of the decisions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Great news about Josh!

                Too bad they appointed another Consumer Products marketeer to run Disneyland. Ken Potrock is yet another in the parade of Chapek successors at Disney Consumer Products -- Disney touts him as being "well-known for developing, invigorating and transforming numerous Disney properties and businesses to deliver consistent and dynamic growth." As a Chapek-clone, will he be able to leverage his DCP pedigree to block Josh's efforts in Anaheim?

                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

                - Walt Disney

                "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

                "It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

                Comment


                • #9
                  Josh D'Amaro new head of Parks ,is not a Surprise.......
                  and I'm sure Rebecca Campbell
                  is Happy.........and never unpack her carboard boxes
                  from her office at DL!
                  Last edited by Eagleman; 05-18-2020, 07:05 PM.
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nickdean707 View Post
                    Bob Weiss put back in charge of imagineering
                    Um...did I miss something, but wasn't Weiss already the President of WDI???

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                      Great news about Josh!

                      Too bad they appointed another Consumer Products marketeer to run Disneyland. Ken Potrock is yet another in the parade of Chapek successors at Disney Consumer Products -- Disney touts him as being "well-known for developing, invigorating and transforming numerous Disney properties and businesses to deliver consistent and dynamic growth." As a Chapek-clone, will he be able to leverage his DCP pedigree to block Josh's efforts in Anaheim?
                      I'm on the fence. Before this, I was concerned that he would get Chapek's position based on his profile. Which as Mr. Wiggins pointed out, Potrock resumé was mainly in Cosumer Products.

                      However, unlike Rebecca Campbell, Potrock has actually worked in the Park/Experience department, to some degree. He previously worked in Disney Cruise Line's Marketing, was the General Manager of DVC, and he led the rebranding of ESPN Wide World of Sports in WDW.

                      But his most recent work, was the rebranding of WDW's Downtown Disney into Disney Springs. With him being assigned to DLR, I'm getting the vibe that the West Coast DTD is going to get a facelift in the post Coronavirus future.

                      Like I said before, I'm still getting the vibe that TDA's managers are blacklisted from being promoted to DLR President, for some unexplained reason. Granted, I'm might be jumping to conclusions, and the top 4 may not want the job.

                      Good Luck Josh! Glad he got the job, but at a time like this, it is a position that may become one of the most stressful jobs in the company.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Happy about Josh D!!
                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

                        DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        My company had a special night at the park
                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          From what I read he's a good fit and guy...so hope he shows us what he is made of when the parks start to reopen.
                          Happy Halloween!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I hope Igor and Chapek get out of his way and let him really run the parks as he sees fit. If so I expect some great things from him. He really seems like a class act.

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              You can read the about new organization HERE

                              I only hope Chapek takes a hands-off approach and let's D'Amaro run his show. Good news, but with skepticism.
                              We need another Walt...and fast!

                              "It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                              The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                I'm on the fence. Before this, I was concerned that he would get Chapek's position based on his profile. Which as Mr. Wiggins pointed out, Potrock resumé was mainly in Cosumer Products.

                                However, unlike Rebecca Campbell, Potrock has actually worked in the Park/Experience department, to some degree. He previously worked in Disney Cruise Line's Marketing, was the General Manager of DVC, and he led the rebranding of ESPN Wide World of Sports in WDW.

                                But his most recent work, was the rebranding of WDW's Downtown Disney into Disney Springs. With him being assigned to DLR, I'm getting the vibe that the West Coast DTD is going to get a facelift in the post Coronavirus future.

                                Like I said before, I'm still getting the vibe that TDA's managers are blacklisted from being promoted to DLR President, for some unexplained reason. Granted, I'm might be jumping to conclusions, and the top 4 may not want the job.

                                Good Luck Josh! Glad he got the job, but at a time like this, it is a position that may become one of the most stressful jobs in the company.
                                Re: Disneyland managers never getting the job.

                                1) If you truly loved working in the parks and loved the resort you were at and were offered the job to head up DLR knowing that in a year or two you would then be switched out to a new gig that could be anywhere in the company would you take it if offered? If you were a corporate climber for sure, but if you genuinely loved your job at Disneyland itself probably not.

                                2) Large corporations with multiple "presidents" jobs almost always see them as training grounds for the next CEO. Hence the constant rotation, it's not always about whose best in the DLR head honcho job, it's about giving them experience to see if they'd be best as CEO. If no one at the company thinks the current set of managers at DLR have what it takes to be CEO then they won't give them a testing ground job for it

                                Purely speculative as well, but it really seems like Disney just wants to avoid having someone create a kingdom of their own. The constant rotation of managers can't be good for the parks' health, seems to be more for the company's health. Leaving someone in charge of DLR or WDW for a long period of time, even if they were doing well might mean that park becomes becomes reliant on that personality, and if they ever left or were switched somewhere else it would be a huge hit.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I'm glad about D'Amaro, but I think a lot of it depends on how much autonomy he's given to direct the parks in the way he thinks they should go. I do find it interesting they put a 'market man' under him as DL Pres. Hedging the bet to keep the profit-focus going in day to day operations? If Potrock 'speaks their language' will Chapek/Iger listen to him if there's a conflict?
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                                  Comment

                                  Get Away Today Footer

                                  Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X